Chapter 9

Pieces of You

 

Love or loyalty?

 

As a child, Siyeon rode onto this fever dream of becoming king. She believed that the road to claiming such power that was brought down through generations of war was through obedience and patience. For a long time, she followed with that thought and swore her oat to Mr. Lee, no matter the consequences. Except over time…hatred began to dwell inside her heart and she started to question her own decisions.

 

Eventually, the time came for her to choose. And Siyeon already had the answer.

 

Grasping onto the pistol as she stared at the bodyguards, ready for a command, this wasn’t it. To be king was not to create violence. Siyeon was exhausted of the need of fight and kill. All she wanted was a peaceful life where anyone could be free, happy and alive. A world where she could spend endless days with Minji, without a care in the world. Call it selfish but sometimes, selfishness wins.

 

“I see that all of you have gotten the memo that we are to kill every single member of the Kims today?” Siyeon asks as the men nod in response.

 

The Lee observes their weapons. “I want to ask an important question. Who is your king? Is it my father or…” Siyeon circles around the men slowly as they grow stiff. “…Or me?”  

 

One second. Two. Nothing but deafening silence.

 

“I will not repeat twice. Answer me.” Siyeon growls as she aims the pistol directly at one of the men. “Who is your king?!” She bellowed.  

 

“Y-You…ma’am.”

 

Siyeon exhales slowly. “Good.” She nods. “Then you will listen to me. Not the old man. Understand?”

 

“Y-yes ma’am.”

 

“All of you are to relieve duty at once. Every single one of you. Surrender your weapons here and leave the hospital this instance.”

 

The men exchange confused glances. Staring blankly and in disbelief. But when Siyeon starts to click her tongue impatiently, they all quiver in fear and hurry along as ordered. Dropping off their weapons and leaving the building one by one, Siyeon knew that it would’ve been easier to take advantage of the men and kill her father. After all, she has waited so long for the moment.

 

But Minji taught her an important lesson in life; that one should not rely solely on their emotions. Be wise and witty. Why let a man experience a quick death when he can rot behind bars?

 

Siyeon saw how her emotions got the best of her. And she won’t let that happen again. This time, she’ll perform her revenge in a beautiful fashion.

 

And so, the party began. Along with Dami whom she had discussed with, the sisters began to knock onto police doors while ensuring that their father had no contact with anyone from the Lees. They revealed everything about their nasty family. From the running cartels, years of bribery, blackmail and assassinations tucked under the rug, this was game over. Every single piece of evidence brought to the table for everyone to see.

 

What destroyed the powerful Lees who were so proud of their history, were not their enemies called the Kims, but by their very own kind.

 

“Mr. Lee, you are under arrest.”

 

Siyeon, Dami and Gahyeon didn’t even shed a single ounce of pity as they watched their father being transferred into the police car. The man was finally in those hand-cuffs, locked and led away. At last, they were free. The three celebrated. They hugged, cheered and cried, happy that the curse has finally been lifted.

 

But there was one more thing left.

 

At the executive hospital ward where Mr. Kim was residing for recovery, the man let out a gasp. “Are you sure about this?” His eyes widened upon hearing Siyeon’s proposal. He couldn’t believe it. In all his life, he was always wary of the Lees. But this woman in front of her has proven the man wrong.

 

“Yes.” Siyeon nods. “With my father gone and the business image tattered, there is no reason for us to continue. I want to declare Lee Corps its resignation from the industry and sell all of the company’s assets to Kim Corps.” The woman lowers her head. “I am ashamed of what my family has done. But it would be a waste to see all of these efforts go down the drain. I am sure your company will put them to good use. Please accept my offer, sir.”

 

Mr. Kim smiles warmly, seeing Siyeon in a different light. “You have made quite a first impression, young one. I never thought the day would finally come to see the Lees falling from their throne. The war is over and it’s all thanks to you.”

 

“No.” Siyeon shook her head. “I owe my life to you sir. If it wasn’t for you, I wouldn’t have met your daughter. She… was the very reason who made me to be who I am today. I should be thanking you instead.”

 

Mr. Kim nods quietly. “Love is indeed a powerful weapon. I’m glad that you realized just how much my daughter loves you. As a father, I’ll do anything to make her happy.” He reaches out for Siyeon’s hand. “Why don’t you and your sisters join us? I’m sure we could use bright minds like you under our wing.”

 

 

---

 

 

On the day Minji is discharged from the hospital, the first thing she wanted to do was to find Siyeon. Ever since that day, Siyeon never returned. She was out, on the news and on the papers. She was everywhere except being by her side. This worried the woman sick.

 

To think that Siyeon made such a bold move by self-destructing the legacy left of the Lees, placing Mr. Lee behind bars and cooperating with the police on telling the truth, this was crazy. Sure, it made Minji proud to see how brave Siyeon was. But the woman was also frustrated that Siyeon never told her anything. She ignored all of her calls and messages, as if telling Minji to not interfere with her plans.

 

“You know what? I take back my words. Your girlfriend is nuts.” Bora says, whilst scrolling through her phone. She and Minji are on the way to the Kim Corps building. “Sure, it’s amazing that she’s telling the whole world about what the Lees have done. But it’s an idiotic move. Look. Everyone’s ting on them now. I can’t even continue to read the comments.” 

 

Minji sighs. “Not exactly. Yes, the public are angry but the Lee sisters have also become sort of, heroes in a sense for bringing the issue up. It’s affecting everyone but them. One I would call, a selfish move.” The woman looks out at the window. “Anyways, get ready. The reporters are here to greet us.”

 

Bora puts on her sunglasses. “Let’s hope they take my picture prettily.” Minji rolls her eyes as the two get out of the car. They easily pass through thanks to their bodyguards. Entering the lobby and heading to the executive lounge located on the highest floor, the twins were to meet their father for an ‘important’ meeting with a special guest.

 

The moment the lift door opens, Minji catches eye contact with the guest. It makes her drop her bag.

 

“Siyeon.”

 

“…Hey.”

 

The woman greets Minji with a wave. She knows from her surprised look, she would literally run and hug her tight. But not now. Not in the presence of her father.

 

“Father…what is going on?” Bora frowns with confusion.

 

The man rises from his seat with a bright smile. “I’m sure you’ve heard the news, my darlings. The Lee Corps is finished. The company is off the legal papers and their office is already on lease. But…” He raises his finger. “Their employees. Their assets. Finances. Plans. Everything.” He chuckles. “It belongs to us now. You could say the Lee Corps have merged with our company.”

 

Bora gasps. “What?!”

 

Minji stands there calmly, logically understanding about this move. If anything, it’s good and healthy for the business to prosper. “I see…”

 

Mr. Kim clasps his hands together. “It would take time for this new transition to happen but in the meantime, I thought it would be best to share this news with the two of you first. Please welcome Lee Siyeon into our company. As well as her sister, Lee Dami who couldn’t make it today. There are also plans to let Lee Gahyeon intern at our place once she’s completed her studies.”

 

Siyeon bows politely. “Pleasure to be working with you. I’ll do my best.”

 

Bora lets out a baffled laugh. Minji nudges her sister and responds back with a bow. “We are happy to have you join us…Siyeon- I mean, Lee Siyeon.”

 

The Lee chuckles at Minji’s mistake. “With pleasure.”

 

Mr. Kim exchanges glances between the two and smiles. “Bora, come with me. I will need your help on sorting out the finances from Lee Corps.”

 

Bora answers and obediently follows her father into his office, leaving Siyeon and Miyeon alone in the executive lounge. The moment the door closes, Minji practically crashes into the couch with Siyeon, hugging her tight.

 

This flusters Siyeon. “Whoa! Unnie!” Minji pulls back with a pout. “I hate you.”

 

“And I’m sorry.” Siyeon giggles and melts into her arms. “I’m sorry for not saying anything and just doing it my way. I’m sorry for not answering your messages and ignoring your calls. Come on unnie, you know me best. I’m stubborn. I’m selfish. And I don’t like people interfering my business.”

 

“Do you have any idea how worried I was?!”

 

Siyeon is grinning like a fool, thoroughly enjoying an angry Minji. “But it’s all good now! Look at this!” She excitedly shows off her new lanyard imprinted with the Kim’s logo.

 

And that was enough to make all of Minji’s anger go away. Here she is, the love of her life behaving like a high schooler. Of all things, Siyeon is fascinated over a freaking lanyard.

 

“Oh god…Lee Siyeon…” Minji sighs and shakes her head in disapproval.

 

Siyeon frowns. “What? You think the lanyard is ugly?!”

 

“That’s not the point…” The woman cracks into a laughter, unable to withstand how cute Siyeon is. She’s missed this so much.

 

“Unnie! Look at your lanyard! You should get a new one. Get a cool one like mine. Let’s go downstairs and ask the-“

 

Siyeon freezes when Minji places a finger on her lips. The Lee swallows nervously. Eyes on each other, waiting for a move. And that’s when, Minji pulls away with a smirk.

 

“Did you think I was going to kiss you? Not during work hours.”

 

“Unfair!” Siyeon whines.

 

Minji dusts her sleeves and clears . “Now then, Miss Lee Siyeon. Allow me to show you around the office.”

 

Siyeon automatically plays along with a cocky smile all over her face. “Why of course! Please lead the way, Miss Kim Minji.”

 

 

 

---

 

 

The deed is done.

 

It’s finally time to say goodbye to this old and cold mansion they grew up in. The Lee sisters decided to start anew and moved into a penthouse somewhere in Gangnam, perfect for a family of four.

 

Dami and Gahyeon embrace the last of their beautiful garden. They’ve never had the time to properly admire the flowers. Seated on the gazebo together, the sisters have mixed feelings. It still feels unreal to think that their father is gone. That they no longer have to be haunted by a business and stamped by its reputation.  

 

“So, what do you want to do now?” Dami asks, arm wrapped around Gahyeon’s shoulder.

 

Gahyeon hums in thought. “I don’t really know unnie. Maybe I’ll find the answer once I’m done with my undergraduate studies.”

 

“Yeah. You’re still young. Don’t rush it.” Dami pats her head.

 

“But what about you, unnie?” It’s Gahyeon’s turn to ask. Staring at the Lee with these cute, worried eyes, it’s a clear reminder that Gahyeon will always remain Dami’s precious little baby sister.

 

“I will be doing adult things that you don’t need to know about.” Dami smiles. “Do me a favour and keep mom company okay? I know she’s been distant but she’s still our mom. She’s suffered a lot and scars are hard to heal.”

 

Gahyeon nods. “I’ll do my best. By the way, don’t you have a date to catch?”

 

Dami freezes and blinks in panic. “H-How did you know?”

 

The girl scoffs. “Oh, come on, it’s too obvious already! Tell Kim Yoohyeon I said hi.” She winks.

 

A date.

 

To Dami, a date isn’t any different than a hangout. It’s just something that people coin to make it sound special between two people in a relationship. She didn’t exactly confess her feelings to Yoohyeon. Nothing like a scene you would see in a cliché romance drama. But Dami knows her feelings were heard.

 

And when she sees Yoohyeon entering the café, Dami smiles. The two chat as if nothing happened. Sharing jokes. Ranting over frustrations in life. She prefers it that way. None of that awkward air that happens after an exchange of “I like you”. Just a simple understanding that they both were on the same path.

 

“So…” Yoohyeon says while playing with her straw. “Are we like…?”

 

Dami shrugs. “It’s your call.”

 

This flusters the brunette. “Wait, what? I thought you and I were you know…?”

 

The Lee chuckles. “I thought you’d feel awkward if I started calling you my girlfriend.”

 

Yoohyeon immediately blushes. “Y-yeah…it’s kinda weird…if you call me that…” Dami leans back to her seat with a gentle smile. “Then let’s not force that.”

 

“Aw…why?!” The brunette whines. Dami raises her eyebrow in confusion.

 

“So, you want me to call you my girlfriend?”

 

“Not really but I’d be sad if you don’t though?”

 

Dami breaks into a baffled laughter and shakes her head. “Kim Yoohyeon…I swear…”

 

“I mean, first things first. We need to take care of your group of admirers outside.” Yoohyeon whispers while pointing out at the window where a bunch of ladies were gathered.

 

“Sure.” Dami stands up and locks her arms with Yoohyeon, bringing the brunette outside. This flusters the Kim who suddenly feels small in front of all the women who are staring at her like she’s a piece of object.

 

“Hi. This is my girlfriend, Yoohyeon. We started dating recently.” Dami introduces, leaving her admirers gasping in shock. “I’m sorry. But…” The Lee looks at the brunette and pecks her cheek. “I really love her.”

 

Her admirers turn sullen and quietly leave the scene, distraught and immediately sharing the news all over social media. Yoohyeon stands there like a tree, face already a tomato and still fazed by everything.

 

“W-What the hell…” Yoohyeon mumbles.

 

Dami tilts her head.. “What?”

 

Yoohyeon covers her face shyly. “That was…kinda cool.” She turns away. “My girlfriend is pretty…cool.” The Lee grins and intertwines their hands together. “Let’s go back inside. Our drinks are going to get cold.”

 

 

---

 

 

The day has finally arrived.

 

After all these months of planning, practice and hardwork, Bora and Handong were here at the exhibition hall to begin the preliminary rounds of their pitching competition.

 

Although they were accompanied with Mr. Kim and Mr. Han, it didn’t do much to ease their nervousness. The two took turns, repeating their lines and ensuring that there was not a single mistake on their presentation slide. Their competitors were doing good that they were afraid their pitch would pale in comparison.

 

“Oh my god, Dong-ah! I’m nervous. I’m nervous!” Bora whines and shakes her body.

 

“Don’t say that unnie, you’ll just make me even more nervous!” Handong sighs.

 

When their names were announced next, the two literally jump from their seats. Exchanging glances, the two nodded and held hands whilst going up on stage. This is their only chance to shine and make their fathers proud. To show them their worth and ability.

 

To their surprise, the duo impressed the judges with their interesting pitch, that left many opportunities for the industry to expand. They moved to the second round. Third round. And in a blink, they were the finalists.

 

“You know what Dong-ah? It doesn’t matter if we don’t win. We got this far already. It’s okay to lose!” Bora says as she paces around the waiting room.

 

“But if we win?” Handong asks, feeling a little confident.

 

Bora stares at the princess, feeling bold. “Then I’ll give you a kiss.” And the woman immediately regrets saying that. “Actually, it’s just a joke-“

 

“Okay.” Handong replies. “If we win, you kiss me. But If we lose…” She smiles. “I’ll get to kiss you.”

 

Before Bora can even open to retaliate, the judges have called up their names. The two rush and prepare. Standing on stage once again, the audience are clapping and cheering. Taking a deep breath, Bora begins the opening and Handong follows on, just as they rehearsed.

 

Presenting in a confident yet persuasive voice, answering the judges questions in a witty fashion and impressing the crowd with sarcastic jokes in the middle, their presence certainly lightened the mood of a usually serious competition.

 

“And the winner is…”

 

Bora and Handong are holding each other’s hands tightly in prayer, hoping for the best.

 

“Congratulations, Kim Bora and Handong of the Kim Corps! You are the winners of the 2020 International Pitching Competition!”

 

Bora squealed while Handong covered , unable to contain her surprise. Going back on the stage to receive their certificates, posing for pictures and being interviewed by the press after, it felt like a dream. The two would later be on the papers for representing South Korea and showered with compliments by the public.

 

It was brilliant start for the two who would then travel around the world to introduce their winning pitch, to meet famous business CEOs and to work with amazing, talented people.

 

Soon, they would come to realise one thing that has changed.

 

“Dong-ah, look! It’s the Eiffel Tower!”

 

“Wow, it’s so beautiful!” Handong gasps as Bora moves in closer for a picture.

 

“I bet Minji and Yoohyeon are going to be so jealous!”

 

Bora giggles as she takes the shot. The woman checks the photo while Handong looks on quietly, simply admiring her beauty. The princess has never spent so much time with one person. To share memories together and simply enjoy in one’s presence, she has never felt this attached to someone.

 

From their first meeting, Handong has experienced so many things that she couldn’t have, when she was back in China. Bora basically showed her the world. She showed her what passion is like. And what love felt like.

 

“Unnie…” Handong calls quietly.

 

“What-“ The moment Bora turns to her side, Handong kisses her softly on the cheek. “Thank you for staying with me.”

 

Bora freezes. “Dong-ah…”

 

Handong clings onto Bora’s arm with a relieved smile. “Is it wrong if I said that I don’t want to go back to my home country?”

 

“No…it’s not.” Bora says. “When this trip is over, I don’t want you to leave. Stay with me, Dong-ah. Please?”

 

Handong closes her eyes and warmly cuddles Bora. “I will.”

 

They left South Korea as partners of an award-winning speech and returned to the country three months after, as girlfriends.

 

 

 

---

 

 

When Siyeon wakes up in the mornings, her first instinct is to move her arms around. She will panic if she doesn’t feel Minji’s presence. But today, her heart calms at the familiar warmth. It’s one of those days where the Lee wakes up early and it’s a treat for her because Siyeon gets to admire a sleeping Minji for all she wants.

 

From her beautiful eyes, nose and lips, to her perfect facial structures that are simply pieces of art put together, Siyeon has never felt this happy to have Minji by her side. The woman looks back on what happened a year ago.

 

That’s right.

 

It was a year ago since all of that happened. Now, her father is serving a lifetime jail sentence for his crimes. Dami’s been busy working under the Kim’s but also she’s started doing what she loves as a side job: music production. Yoohyeon and Gahyeon are still studying. Bora and Handong are always travelling to places, (for business of course). And Minji…she’s the same.

 

The same Minji she’ll always love.

 

“…Hey.” Siyeon mumbles softly, noticing the woman’s little movements.

 

Minji yawns and rubs her eyes. “Good morning.” Siyeon giggles and rolls over for a cuddle.

 

“You’re rather clingy today.” Minji says.

 

Siyeon pouts. “I’m always clingy.”

 

Minji smiles and runs her fingers through Siyeon’s hair. She kisses her once and admires the view. “You’re thinking about something.”

 

“I am.” Siyeon answers as her hands find its way to start pinching Minji’s wrist. “I’ve suddenly realized about these pieces of you in my head. You’re so cool in our business meetings. But you’re also really sweet and gentle when we’re alone. You’re also brave and willing to take a bullet for me. Yet, you have a naughty side as well.”

 

Minji giggles and cups Siyeon’s cheeks. “So it’s these pieces of me that made you fall harder?”

 

Siyeon nods and grins.

 

“It’s all about these pieces of you that I love about.”

 

 

-fin

 

 

a/n: thank you for joining me on this journey together! i enjoy reading all of your comments and i'm glad that the story was engaging enough to keep your interest! This is my first Dreamcatcher fic I've written but I suppose I am a little tempted to start writing some more (when I have time) haha. see you around i guess~? :)