Chapter 3

Pieces of You

Dami doesn’t believe in such childish fantasy called fate, except it’s come to bite her in the back. Meeting Yoohyeon again in the most unexpected place ever, it has been one year since.

One year since Ddo Ddo’s passing.

The evenings used to be Dami’s favourite time of the day. Returning to the Lee mansion and taking the family’s beloved Shih Tzu out for walks to the Han River, she would risk having her identity exposed just to spend precious time with Ddo Ddo. After all, Dami grew up with the dog and is now a grandpa.

Often strolling on a secret path away from the crowd, the Lee was sure it would remain that way. But she was so wrong.

It happens on a random Wednesday in the middle of hot, summer July. Sitting on the stone stairs as she’s petting Ddo Ddo on her lap whilst looking at the sunset, she hears a bell jingle approaching her. Dami turns to see a Pomeranian puppy sniffing up close with much curiosity.

Perplexed at how the puppy found its way here, Dami lends her hand to which it starts her skin. The woman smiles and notices it’s collar imprinted with the name ‘Pie’.

“Are you lost, little one?” Dami asks and starts petting Pie who has already gotten comfortable. She also chuckles when Ddo Ddo remains unfazed at the puppy wagging its tail. Smitten, the Lee gently holds and carries Pie up to her eye level.

Oh. How wrong she was.

Pie started to whimper and Dami felt something dripping wet. Looking down to her pants, the woman froze. The poor puppy peed on her.

“Oh my god! Pie!” A scream comes running towards her. “Oh my god. What do I do? I’m so sorry!” The woman which Dami automatically assumes is the owner, starts panicking and apologising profusely.

Dami shrugs it off coolly and hands Pie back to the lady. “It’s okay. It’s my fault for scaring Pie. My house isn’t far from here so don’t worry about it.”

“Oh! No, no, this is entirely my fault! Pie’s leash actually broke because she was too excited and I had to chase after her.” The lady catches her breath. “Actually, I have a change of clothes in my car. Come on, let’s get you-”

“No, I’m oka-“

No matter how much Dami protested, the woman forcefully grabbed her wrist and dragged her away for a change of clothes. Ddo Ddo calmly followed behind and it was at a point where the Lee decided to just surrender and accept the stranger’s act of kindness.

It was Pie who led Dami to Yoohyeon. And thanks to Pie’s accident, it brought the two into a blossoming friendship.

“Sorry, the pants are a little long right? As you can see, I’m pretty tall.” Yoohyeon laughs, seeing the edge of the pants drape over Dami’s shoes.

“It’s fine. Part of fashion I’d say.” Dami says, finding the pants quite comfy. “How am I going to return you the pants?”

Yoohyeon waves her hand. “Keep it. I have too many pants anyway.”

“So you’re just giving me a leftover?”

“What?! N-No! That’s not what I meant. Hey, don’t take it the wrong way!” Yoohyeon flusters.

Dami breaks into a laugh, finding the lady’s reaction adorable. “I’m just joking. Thank you for the pants. I will wear it well.”

Every week, the two would meet up at the same spot and hang out with their dogs. Going onto walks together, their interests in pets helped build the bridge quickly. To Dami, Yoohyeon was her first friend who wasn’t filled with pride and ego. She was humble, selfless and caring. Though she’s also quite aloof and clumsy at times.

“You okay?” Dami asks worriedly as she helps Yoohyeon up from the ground. The lady had earlier tripped over a tiny stone in the middle of the pathway.

“Yeah. I’m good, thank you.” Yoohyeon laughs with embarrassment. “I’ve fallen billions of times so my body is used to it.”

“Guess I’ll have to take extra care of you then.”

However, as a member of the Lee family, Dami knew when to not cross the line. No matter how much Yoohyeon persisted, Dami refused to give her phone number. Eventually giving up, the pair continued to meet each other every week, chatting for hours, listening to each other and sometimes eating ramen by the river.

Until Ddo Ddo passed away.

Struck with sorrow and grief, there was no reason for Dami to go to the Han River anymore. It was now a place that brought sad memories. Leaving Yoohyeon in the dark, Dami decided that it was never meant to be. That she was foolish to rely on such wishful thinking of ‘fate’.

Except, she was wrong.

Right here in front of her eyes is Yoohyeon who looked exactly the same, unchanged. She’s still wearing the same set of clothes, a gray oversized hoodie and baggy pants. Mighty tall, slender body and amazingly beautiful.

“Oh my god can you guys stop staring at each other and help me out?! I’m going to be late!” Gahyeon shouted with frustration.

Snapping back to reality, Dami apologises. “Right. Come on, let’s go and find your faculty.”

The woman drags her sister away but looks back at Yoohyeon, mouthing at her to meet at their promised place. With a nod in reply, Dami knows that she was given a second chance. Another chance to make it right.

 

---

 

Siyeon observes quietly as her father is presenting in front of the directors, shareholders and investors. Occasionally writing down notes and paying attention, the woman is rather sceptical of the man’s enthusiastic approach towards the business’ future plans.

Furrowing her eyebrows and spinning the pen between her fingers, Siyeon believed in voicing out her opinions even if many might disagree. It just didn’t feel comfortable to keep everything inside her chest.

“Are there any objections to this plan?” Mr. Lee asks, wrapping up his presentation. The room remains silent. Everyone is giving each other glances and then, Siyeon slowly raises her hand.

“Father, if you’d excuse me…” Siyeon politely cuts in.

“Go on.” Mr. Lee nods.

“While I understand your ambitious plans of monopolising the industry and how it will benefit the company greatly, I personally believe that it is not a wise move to buy out the properties in one go. It is an unnecessary cost to our budget.” Siyeon explains with the facts calculated from the data earlier on. “Why not utilise it to improve the welfare of our employees? Lately, our union groups have been complaining of unfair working conditions.”

The air suddenly turns heavy. Siyeon feels all the eyes staring down on her, as if she was an outcast. Mr. Lee’s face stiffens at her daughter’s explanation.

“Nonsense.” He says, unamused.

Siyeon widens her eyes. “What?”

“I said, it’s absolute rubbish.” Mr. Lee repeats as his loud voice bellows into the meeting room. “How dare you speak up against your own father?!”

Right.

How could Siyeon forget? This stupid mantra she’s been trained to follow since young - that the Lees must always respect the elders, that the geezers are always right and everyone must follow. Old, stubborn traditions that have been instilled in the family for centuries.

She has made a big mistake.

As Mr. Lee walked up to her, Siyeon experiences a stinging and loud slap across her face. The impact leaves her stunned. Head lowered. Hands behind her back. It’s an automatic reflex brought from her childhood trauma.

“Just because of a tiny success, you think you can talk big now? You think that you’re the best? Open your eyes and realise what’s wrong. You’re still so young and naive.” Mr. Lee mumbles into her ear.

Siyeon gulps. “…Yes sir.”

The meeting is adjourned. Everyone leaves the room except for the father and daughter. Now behind closed doors, Siyeon remembers it now. The feeling of fear. Her body begins to tremble as she’s alone and defenseless, under the nose of the king.

“I received news that the Kims acquired Han Holdings.” Mr. Lee says as he starts to circle around Siyeon as if she’s a prey, a little lamb afraid to be eaten. “Whose fault do you think is that?”

“It’s my fault.” Siyeon answers.

“And how are you going to fix this?”

Siyeon doesn’t say anything. Her mind has gone blank. She cannot think of a plan. This leaves Mr. Lee annoyed and upset that her heir is so incompetent.

“You still have much to learn, child. Nothing but a disappointment, over and over again!” Mr. Lee fumes. He exhales, trying to calm down and dusts his coat. “We will play the game my way now. It’s time we meet our enemies up close.” The man announces. “I will be arranging a special dinner with Mr. Kim and you will be joining me.”

Siyeon flinches as she looks up at her father. The Lee is aware of how the man likes to play dirty. After all, on the outside the family has always looked clean from the public’s eye. But that’s because of the amount of money spent to hide their ugly secrets.

As a kid, Siyeon has seen blood. She has also seen dead bodies. dead bodies. She’s seen so much to know how far her father will go to achieve victory.

“What...are you planning to do with the Kims?”

“You still have the nerve to ask?”

Siyeon immediately apologies, clenching her fist at how unfair this is.

“All you have to do is follow me and behave. I will do the rest. Do you understand?” Mr. Lee asks as he squeezes Siyeon’s shoulder.

“I understand, sir.”

“Good. Do not humiliate me in front of our guests ever again.” The man warns Siyeon and leaves the room.

When the door slams into a close, drumming an echo loudly into Siyeon’s chest, the woman lets out a heavy sigh. With shaky hands, she calls someone on the phone. Biting her nail and hoping she’ll pick up, it rings.

“Yes?”

“Are you free tonight?” Siyeon asks in a shaky voice.

Minji immediately recognises that something is wrong. “Yes, I am free tonight.”

“Good. 7pm at the same place. See you there.”

 

---

 

Bora loves to dance. Whether it was hip hop or the classical waltz, Bora learned almost every genre. That’s why when it came to the ballroom, she was confident to impress.

After Mr. Kim and Mr. Han finished their speeches, the welcoming ceremony was off to a blast as everyone enjoyed the atmosphere with the presence of music and alcohol. Directors were chattering away, the younger officers started dancing at the floor and Bora was quietly observing Handong seated at the other end of the table.

The Chinese ‘princess’ has remained fairly close to her father, rarely interacting with anyone else. Bora assumes she is shy and wants to help break the ice. But then, Handong catches Bora staring at her and it leaves the woman blushing out of embarrassment.

Handong laughs and approaches Bora. “Care for a dance?” She asks. The Kim gasps in surprise, “How did you know?!” The princess giggles and grabs onto her hand. “It’s so obvious! But...do you know how to dance?”

“Oh, of course! I took lessons when I was young. What about you?” Bora asks as the two chat whilst heading to the floor.

“I learnt traditional dance.” Handong answers, curious as to what Bora will show her.

The crowd makes way for the two as the band changes to a new musical piece. It starts with gentle piano keys accompanied by violins. Their feet begin to move. Arms on one’s shoulder and waist as they are elegantly moving to the rhythm. Eyes glued onto one another and shyly smiling away, it feels like they are living inside a fairy tale.

Swaying below the beautiful golden chandelier, these were short, three minutes that Bora wishes would've lasted forever. She will never, ever have such a beautiful dance partner again who matches and blended with her own style. She will never be able to see Handong this close again, taking in all of her raw facial features.

It’s those magical three minutes that makes Bora on cloud nine.

Mr. Kim and Mr. Han watch their daughters from afar, happily discussing and nodding with much agreement. Laughing away as they clink their cups, the two men stand up in applause as the dance comes to an end.

“What a wonderful performance! I’m so proud of you both!” Mr. Kim claps with a grin. Mr. Han nods and places a peck on Handong’s cheek.

“Oh no, Handong stole the show. She’s the amazing one here!” Bora gives nothing but praises. It leaves the princess blushing as the two fathers laugh away.

“We have been discussing and agree that the two of you will make a great team.” Mr. Kim says. have been discussing and I think you two will make a great team.” Mr. Kim says.

Bora raises her eyebrows. “A great team in…what?”

“We’re planning to have the two of you partake in an international pitching competition happening at the end of the year. You’ll have plenty of time to prepare and by carrying the name of our families, it’s killing two birds with one stone.” Mr. Kim explains. “Your participation will not only forge a stronger friendship with the Han but also improve our reputation as a business. What do you think? Isn’t it a wonderful plan?”

Bora gives a worried glance at Handong, as she doesn’t want the lady to be forced onto the idea. However, Handong is looking on with eyes gleaming with excitement. A shy thumbs up was enough for Bora to confirm that she too, was happily on board.

“I think…it’s a great plan, Father!”

 

---

 

Siyeon paces around the hotel room.

She’s usually never this early, but today is different. With an uneasy heart, checking the time over and over again, she knows Minji always arrives on the dot. All she wants to do is break down. Cry. Rant. Pour everything that’s inside her heart.

The moment it strikes seven, there are three knocks on the door. Immediately, Siyeon rushes over and her heart eases at the sight of Minji. Her sun is here. The warmth she so dearly needs.

“Siye-”

The Lee immediately hugs her tight. Squeezing her waist, burying her head into her chest as she trembles in fear, Siyeon takes a whiff of Minji’s coat and slowly calms down.

“...Siyeon?” Minji calls out gently, surprised at this new behaviour she’s never seen. “Siyeon? Hey. Look at me.” She repeats, cupping her face and pulling the woman’s face close.

“Unnie…” Siyeon sobs, tears rolling down her cheeks. Eyes turning red. It’s a sight that leaves Minji’s heart broken. She’s never seen her like this. “Can I just...stay here like this for awhile. Please?” Siyeon begs softly.

“Of course you can.” Minji says, returning the embrace and hugging her closer. Patting her back and pressing kisses on Siyeon’s forehead, the woman slowly brings her to bed as they snuggle up under the warm blankets.

Everyone saw Siyeon as the diligent heir who was a perfectionist. Off work, she comes off as a confident, quirky flirt around women. But when it’s just the two of them alone, she’s a baby who needs a lot of care and love.

These three months spent together have proven that there is so much behind the Lee family, who is a complete opposite of hers.

“Sometimes I think about whether I am fit to be an heir.” Siyeon confesses as she’s calmed down after a few minutes, finding comfort in pinching Minji’s hand. “No matter how much I do, Father is always disappointed in me. In all my life, I’ve never heard him say that he’s proud of me.”

“He’s only like this so that you can continue to grow, Siyeon. Call it tough love.”

“I hate him.” The Lee confesses. “Dami would be a better fit. I’m no good. I’m a crybaby. I can’t control my emotions. I make mistakes.”

“Don’t say that.”

“It’s the truth!” Siyeon lashes out.

Minji widens her eyes at the Lee’s outburst. Realising what she has done, Siyeon instinctively grabs Minji’s hand and kisses it in apology. “I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have said that. No. I will never do it again.”

“It’s okay.” Minji pulls Siyeon close and gently taps her nose against hers. “I’ve just never seen you angry before. Earlier, you were crying and now, you’re just...a hot chilli.”

Siyeon sighs and returns to Minji’s arms, saying nothing in response. Minji doesn’t press on and it’s something that Siyeon really loves about Jiu - her patience. Unlike the others, she doesn’t force her to reveal everything. She will wait for Siyeon when she’s ready to explain everything in detail.

“Wait. A hot chilli?” Siyeon asks out of a blue after being silent for minutes. “How spicy am I?”

Minji hums in thought. “I’d say a four. You’re pretty mild.” The woman decides to lift the mood and asks the same question back, “How spicy am I, Siyeon?”

“H-Huh?” Siyeon stutters in surprise who starts blushing hard. It leaves Minji smiling widely. There she is. The Siyeon she knows. The cute, adorable Siyeon. Watching the Lee fiddle with her hands as she seems to be thinking very seriously about it, the woman eventually breaks into a laugher.

“Wow. Jiu unnie. You really know how to make me feel better huh?” Siyeon chuckles. “My sweet medicine.”

Minji winks at her. “Of course.” It’s the confident answer that leaves Siyeon breaking into a laugh.

“You are amazing, unnie. Really. Thank you so much.” Siyeon says from the bottom of heart, grateful to have met such a wonderful woman like her.

“And thank you Siyeon for entering into my life.” Minji says as the two kiss.

 

---

 

Dami waits by the Han River as promised. This time, without Ddo Ddo. Just her, alone.

In the far distance, she hears a familiar bell jingle. Looking up, she is met with Pie who has grown a bit bigger, but still as cute. Then, her eyes land on Yoohyeon.

“Hey.” Dami says, trying not to sound awkward. She was expecting Yoohyeon to lash out on her, asking her where she’s been all these years. She was prepared to explain about Ddo Ddo’s death. She was ready to face her again.

But instead, Yoohyeon greets her with a warm, long hug.

Flustered, Dami doesn’t know where to put her hands and instead, awkwardly pats her shoulder. “Uh...Yoohyeon?”

“I thought something happened to you!” Yoohyeon says as she pulls back. “Like I don’t know, maybe your family found out that you’re friends with a Kim and you were forced to cut off connection with me and- wait!”

“Huh?” Dami looks at her, confused.

“Oh. Snap.” Yoohyeon freezes and covers , realising she’s just let a secret slip out like that. “Ah, Yoohyeon you’re so stupid!” The brunette sighs and starts hitting her own head.

“Wait…” Dami tries to piece the puzzle together. “Yoohyeon, don’t tell me...you’re a Kim? As in the daughter of the Kim family?”

Yoohyeon closes her eyes and admits in defeat. “Yes. I am… Kim Yoohyeon. I am from that family which your family, utterly...despises. Small world huh?” The brunette shrugs.

Dami blinks, trying to process the information.

“Oh...no.”