Chapter 6

Pieces of You

 

If it’s one thing Siyeon has learnt, love hurts.

 

Sure, she’s flirted with thousands of women. Played with their heart. Spend a night. But that was all for fun. For play. A game that was nothing to her. Minji however, was different. She treated the relationship seriously for once. Never in Siyeon’s life had she actually considered picturing a future together with Minji.

 

Except…in the end, she was the one being played.

 

Putting the puzzle together as she’s staring at the business card, everything seemed to make sense now. Minji was indeed a perfect liar, an actress and certainly, a genius at playing with her heart.

 

“The Kims are an interesting bunch.”

 

Siyeon mumbles to herself as a hot tear stains the card. The woman sighs with a shaky voice, burying her face into her palms. “No wonder Father hated them so much.” Fist clenched as it slams against the wall, she’s going to get a bruise tomorrow but that doesn’t matter. The pain is incomparable to the pain she’s feeling now.

 

Driving home at dusk along the empty highway, Siyeon knows she is in no condition to be at the wheel. Emotions at its peak. Fury, confusion, frustration, hurt. All of it slapped in her face. Hanging on the mirror is a blue hand-made bead necklace hung around it, a present that Minji gave for her birthday.

 

Even in her own car, Minji’s trace is there. This is terrible. A nightmare.

 

With the tiny bit of sanity left, Siyeon pulls her car to the side and turns the signals on. Hot tears run down her cheeks as she’s gasping for air. Resting her head against the wheel while clutching tightly onto her chest, she didn’t expect this to hurt so much.

 

“How can you do this to me?!”

 

Parked in front of the Kim mansion is Minji’s car. The vehicle’s engine is switched off. Lights out. She could go inside, get a warm bath and head to sleep. But she can’t. Not when there is less than 24 hours till the dinner with the Lees. It’s the confrontation that scares her.

Staring at her reflection in the mirror, Minji can’t remember the last time she’s gotten such puffy, red eyes. But, knock on the window startles the woman. Turning around, she feared that Siyeon somehow managed to chase her all the way here. To her relief, it’s Bora. Her loving sister.

 

Heart tinging at the sight of Bora, Minji opens the door and hugs her. The woman sighs and wraps an arm around, the other gently patting her head.

 

“I guess the deed is done huh?” Bora asks with patience, letting Minji sob into her shoulder for all she wants.

 

The woman nods. “I’m just a mess right now…”

 

Bora pulls back and giggles. “Yeah, you look super ugly.”

 

Minji frowns in response and hits her shoulder. “That’s not funny!”

 

“Alright, alright. This is probably your first, real relationship so it’s just a lot to take in. Come on, let’s go inside. It’s cold out here. I’ll prepare some wine and a warm blanket. You can sleep in my room for tonight like how we used to. How’s that sound?”

 

Minji sniffles and wipes her tears away. “I’d like that.”

 

 

---

 

When morning arrives at the Lee mansion, all is silent. The chilly weather, lonely garden and empty courtyard simply brings a heavy air around the compound.

 

Gahyeon wakes up first as she draws the curtains open. It to be stuck in this dull household. She can’t go for classes. She can’t go for a drive. She can’t do anything but stay home, under the orders of her siblings. Frustrated, the girl goes to look for Dami.

 

Peeking through the door, the woman is asleep. Usually, Gahyeon would wake Dami up anyway. But for some reason, she notices the dark eyebags and decides not to disturb her slumber. With a disappointed pout, Gahyeon drags her feet along the corridor, heading down to where Siyeon’s room is.

 

It’s only midway through that a soft voice echoes along the hallway.

“Already awake?”

 

Gahyeon stops in her tracks. She looks up and sees Siyeon standing at the side, arms crossed as if she’s been watching from afar. Naturally, Gahyeon is all smiles and runs into her sister’s arms.

 

The two embrace warmly as if they’ve never seen each other for years. Hugs are a common, sweet things for the Lees. But oddly today, Siyeon clings tighter than usual.

 

Gahyeon immediately senses something is wrong. “Unnie, are you okay?”

 

Siyeon gives a sad smile. The woman is an expert at hiding her emotions. But her siblings are a tough wall to hurdle.

 

“Yeah, I wouldn’t be lying. I’m honestly having a hard time right now. But I’m glad that you’re here. Is it okay if I can hug you for a bit longer?” Siyeon asks, bending her neck slightly downwards and resting on Gahyeon’s shoulder.

 

“Of course, you can. It must be tough.”

 

“Thank you.”

 

For a few minutes, Siyeon stays there in a still position. Hugging her little sister in perfect silence. Her little potion of happiness. Refreshed, the Lee pulls back and presses a kiss on Gahyeon’s forehead.

 

“Well now.” She clears . “I think you have a lot of questions about what’s happening. Now is the right time.”

 

The Lee brings Gahyeon to the gazebo. Holding her hand as they sit together on the bench, Siyeon explains everything in full detail about their twisted family.

 

From the planned assassinations of former business bosses to obtain power, the secret cartels that they own to expand their territories and several drug dens scattered all over Seoul as an extra boost of profit, it’s all part of the Lee footprint. The police, press and government officials have been bribed big money to keep their lips shut, so that these illegal operations could continue throughout the years.

 

Now that Siyeon is in control, she’s honestly scared.

 

“I am not proud of what our family has done. Whether it be father, grandfather or our ancestors, so much blood has already been stained.” Siyeon confesses. “But we have no choice but to continue their legacy.”  

 

“You can just stop it.” Gahyeon says. “Come clean and start afresh.” The girl turns. “Why are we still moving on with the investigation? Father is probably dead and that’s for the better!”

 

Siyeon sighs. If there’s one thing she’s worried about her little sister, it’s that speaks too freely. “I understand how you feel about Father. But it’s just too complicated.” The woman starts pinching Gahyeon’s wrist. “The world would be a much better place if everything was so simple.”

 

“Are you really going to follow Father’s steps? You’re going to be a murderer? A thief?”

 

“No.” Siyeon shakes her head. “But I have my own plans.” She turns to Gahyeon. “The reason I’m telling you this is because when we meet the Kims tonight, unexpected things can happen. So, I want you to be prepared.”

 

“Just…what are you planning unnie?”

 

Siyeon apologises because she cannot risk telling it to Gahyeon. Instead, she pats her head and presses another kiss on her cheek. “I’m sure Dami must’ve told you that there is a third party involved in Father’s disappearance. For all you know, they could be waiting to strike anytime.”

 

Gahyeon blinks and she finally settles the thought in. “Oh.” She isn’t living in some fictional movie where the main character has a happy ending. This is reality.

 

“But I want you to know that I always put family first.” Siyeon reassures her. “I will never let anything happen to you.”

---

 

At the Kim mansion, the twins have fallen asleep together in Bora’s bed. Two empty glasses of wine on the table were clear evidence of last night. Quietly standing by the door is Yoohyeon who secretly took a photo of her sisters through the small opening. Handong is behind her, snickering away. The brunette smirks at the photo she managed to save (which she will attempt to use as blackmail in the future).

 

“You really like getting into trouble do you?” Handong asks.

 

Yoohyeon scoffs in reply. “It’s just fun to tease my sisters. Glad to know that I have a partner in crime now.” She winks at Handong and gives out a sign. The princess nods in reply at what they had planned earlier. At the count of three, both of them burst through the door with a shout.

 

“Wake up!!!”

 

Yoohyeon runs straight into the bed, crushing her sisters with her weight. Handong timidly follows and lies down next to Bora.

 

“I’m going to kill you Kim Yoohyeon.”

 

Bora warns as she shoots her eyes open. Ready to scold Yoohyeon like crazy, the woman turns to her side.

 

Freeze.

 

Of all people, it’s Handong who greets her with those puppy eyes in the morning. Like a curious and clingy cat who’s been observing closely, Bora is suddenly at a loss for words.

 

“You said you were going to what unnie…?” Yoohyeon giggles as she eyes at the scene, already knowing that something was up between Bora and Handong. The brunette decides to change target and grab onto Minji. Shaking the poor woman violently, “Unnie! Wake up! Breakfast is ready!”

 

Minji groans, not even opening her eyes. She’s already used to Yoohyeon’s tactic so it fails to work. “Give me five more minutes…”

 

“Good morning.” Handong smiles sweetly, leaving Bora blinking like a robot experiencing an error in its system. Luckily, Bora manages to answer with a stuttering “M-morning”. She snaps out quickly and grabs a nearby pillow to throw at Yoohyeon. It hits hard on Yoohyeon who yelps and falls to her back.

 

Handong breaks into a loud laughter, pointing at the fallen brunette as a noisy Bora fumes, scolding her sister for causing such a ruckus in the morning. Minji pulls the blanket to cover her face, very much used to the usual bickering.

 

Nothing like an ordinary day in the Kim household.  

 

---

 

 

The last time the Lees and Kims met in person was more than a decade ago. Conducted at a private pension in the company of bodyguards, security was tight and tension was high.

 

But for this grand dinner tonight, it was done with modern fashion. At the prestigious Shilla Hotel, a special reservation was made for a party of six. The entire restaurant was booked for three members of the Lee and three from the Kim. Dinner was assigned to a famous 5-star Michelin chef, serving a long list of appetisers, mains and dessert.

 

Siyeon and her sisters are the first to arrive. Settled in their seats, the three tried to make themselves at home. The Lees are usually a quiet bunch with little chatter. Fiddling underneath the marble table, Siyeon has Minji’s name card in her hand. She knows yet, wants to bear onto this small hope that she is wrong.

 

Dami clears . “I hear them.”

 

Unlike the Lees, the Kims are a bit more of a chatterbox. Bora and Yoohyeon can be heard bickering from the entrance. Minji are trying to shush the two and reminding them to behave. Siyeon, Dami and Gahyeon rise from their seats, waiting to greet them.

 

Bora enters first and then, followed by Yoohyeon. The small exchanges of hi’s and hello’s were enough to break the ice…until Minji came into the picture.

 

Siyeon freezes. As if she saw a ghost. The world around her stopped. Eyes meeting one another. This woman in front of her. The woman whom she would meet every night to make love, the reason why her heart would throb so badly and the one who defined her home.

 

Kim Minji.

 

Siyeon stiffly extends her hand out and forces out a smile. “Nice to meet you, Kim Minji.” Even though saying those words were thorns to her tongue, the Lee continued with her act, pretending as if this was the first time meeting her.

 

Minji returns the shake. As expected, she too caught onto the act of pretend. But Siyeon doesn’t let go immediately. In fact, she grabs onto her hand a little tighter.

 

“You have…beautiful hands.” Siyeon says while observing it. Gently rubbing her thumb around Minji’s wrist, “Reminds me a lot of someone.”

 

Minji gulps nervously. She doesn’t breathe when Siyeon brings her hand close to press a kiss on top of her hand.

 

“It is my pleasure to be working with a beautiful woman like you.” The Lee finally lets go, bows politely and offers Minji to sit.

 

“Thank you for having us here today, Lee Siyeon.” Minji responds with a curt yet awkward smile and settles to her seat.

 

Yoohyeon sits in front of Dami. She’s trying to avoid eye-contact because if they did, the brunette would burst into laughter. Bora is with Gahyeon, the two are exchanging glares. There is an odd tension at the table.

 

The two leaders know best that they must put aside their feelings and differences for now. What is important is to handle the situation with their missing fathers. The need to cooperate. The key to finding their traces.

And so, the dinner starts with briefly introducing their companies. It goes well with Siyeon presenting their plans of factory expansion. Minji talks about the Kim’s signed partnership with the Hands from China. That’s when the discussion dives deeper onto the finer details of a cooperation. The talk goes on until dessert as it heads to a positive light.

 

Unlike a couple of hours ago, the ice seems to have melted. Yoohyeon and Dami are now intensively debating whether the chicken or egg came first.

 

“It’s the egg. No doubt.” Dami sighs.

 

“No, you need the chicken first to mate!” Yoohyeon cuts in.

 

Gahyeon quietly stares at the cheesecake on Bora’s plate. It hasn’t been touched. “You don’t’…eat cheese?” The girl asks hesitantly.

 

“Oh.” Bora sees that Gahyeon’s plate is already empty. “Here, you can have mine. I don’t like cheese.”

 

“Really?” Gahyeon’s eyes lighten up like a child who received a surprise present. “Thank you! The cheesecake is actually really good.”

 

“Then you should indulge in it while you can.” Bora smiles as she watches Gahyeon devour her cake, like a mom watching her child eat.

 

Siyeon and Minji continue to enthusiastically engage in conversations related to work. They have come with a perfect plan. A cooperation between the two families was all that was needed. After all, two hands are needed to clap.

 

“Then we can start immediately tomorrow.” Minji says.

 

“Good. I like things fast.” Siyeon hums. “Well, I think that wraps up dinner for tonight. It was certainly a fruitful discussion. I look forward to our future partnerships and hopefully, the investigation show progress.”  

 

“Likewise.” Minji answers.

 

And the magic stops.

 

The act is over. The two women across the table are no longer leaders of their companies, but two women with a past together. Siyeon looks on with these sad eyes. Eyes that shout of a message she knows all too well.

 

Dinner is over. It’s time to wrap things up.

 

“I was wondering if you would be free afterwards for a short discussion.” Siyeon asks. “A discussion between only us.” She emphasises.

 

Minji already knows where this is going. And there’s no way she can run away.

 

“Of course.”

 

After dinner, Bora and Yoohyeon insist on waiting for Minji. The sisters warned that it was dangerous to leave her alone. Dami and Gahyeon on the other hand, left the premise with another car.

 

Finding an empty conference room, Siyeon closes the door and turns to Minji. Alone together, the woman is stiff. There is a lingering, cold silence as either one was waiting to speak.

 

Minji stares at the floor. Siyeon puts her hands in her pocket. No one says anything. It was just unbelievable.

 

A sigh breaks the silence. Siyeon takes out Minji’s wallet and tosses it to the floor like its garbage.

 

“You left this.” She says coldly. “And this.” She adds a now, crumpled name card to the pile.

 

Minji doesn’t respond. She’s just there, standing. Looking at her wallet and the crumpled card. She should’ve known. The panic when she discovered her wallet was gone, was a clear indicator of where this was all going.

 

The woman has so much to say. To tell her that this is a misunderstand. To tell her that this was setup by her father and that there was no intention to spy on her like that. But nothing is coming out. is locked. Her feet are glued.

 

“I…don’t even know what to say anymore.” Siyeon says, her voice starting to break. “I really…really loved you.”

 

The sentence breaks Minji apart.

 

“I love you too…” Minji mutters.

 

“Then why?!” Siyeon shouts, bursting with hot tears flowing down her cheeks. “Why did you do this to me?! Why couldn’t you just tell me in the first place? Why lie?!”

 

Minji says nothing. Receiving silence as an answer, Siyeon doesn’t want to waste her time. Sighing in frustration, she turns to the door and grabs the handle.

 

“You should be glad that I’m not like my father. If I was…” The woman hesitates. “You’d be dead already.” Siyeon wipes her tears with her sleeve and faces the door. “I don’t know how long you can keep acting. But I will wait for the day when you crumble.”

 

Siyeon leaves the room and Minji is left with an echoing slam. Tears roll down her cheeks and Minji collapses to the floor. Grabbing her wallet and clutching it tightly to her heart, it hurts.

 

She can’t do it. Amongst the thousand of things she could’ve say, none of it is said. Every time she’s faced with that woman, her tongue is tied.

 

Minji’s phone rings. It’s Bora.

 

“I’m at the conference room.” She sobs.

 

“Stay there. We’re coming to get you.”

 

 

---

 

 

By the end of the week, news flashes over the historic partnership between the rival families of the Kims and Lee. The first ever in the country, made public.

 

Unfortunately, the police have yet to find a lead on the two fathers’ disappearance. A dead end. But that doesn’t stop the new leaders from advancing their plans. Everything moved on like normal, factories continued to operate, sales flowed smoothly and the only difference was that, productivity was much higher than usual. Profits were coming hot. Stock was skyrocketing. It was evident that the combination of both business empires was necessary to boost the economy.

 

On the papers, Siyeon and Minji can be seen smiling happily as they sign official documents and agreements. On the screens, the two act friendly in interviews. On the streets, the leaders look close. But once all of it is over, they ignore each other. Cold like ice. Total strangers who have zero interest in one another. Enemies forced to be together.

 

Minji had given up. She stopped trying. Bora was right. There is no point dwelling on a pointless love when there are more important matters to pertain to. She must learn to put love aside for the sake of family and work. And that is something she is still trying to learn – even when Minji still wakes up with dreams, (or rather nightmares) of Siyeon.

 

On the other hand, Bora is exhausted. With the increase in workload, going to places, attending meetings and working together with the Lees, it’s tough being the right-hand man. But she has no complains as it is her role to be her twin’s pillar of support.

 

That’s why when she wakes up on a weekend-off, it’s already past noon.

 

Bora flutters her eyes open, realising she went to bed without even changing her clothes. But wait. That’s strange. There is an odd weight on her stomach. She looks up and the woman pauses. Face turning red.

 

Handong is sleeping soundly beside her. Curled up with one arm over and head facing towards the woman. That’s when it hits her. She had completely forgotten about the pitching competition. She’s just left Handong to do everything by herself.

 

Bora feels sorry. Her heart aches as she’s literally become a terrible teammate.

 

Quietly observing Handong’s facial features up close, it’s every piece of art she can admire. It’s only when Handong starts mumbling something in Mandarin that leaves Bora smiling away.

 

Why are you so cute? I don’t know why but you’re like a cat who came to cuddle with me. Even by one look, my stress is completely gone.

 

Bora wonders to herself. Fingers tempted to brush Handong’s hair. She reaches out slowly but stops when the princess flutters her eyes open.

 

Oh no. Red alarm. Bora has stopped breathing.

 

“Hi.” Handong greets with a sheepish smile. The woman rubs her eyes and then shifts her hair. It’s these little movements that has Bora buffering.

 

“…Hi. Uh…” Bora pauses again. “Why are you sleeping on my bed?”

 

Handong’s eyes slowly widen open as she rises up from bed. “Oh my god! I’m so sorry!” Startled, she accidentally falls backwards towards the floor. Bora manages to catch her on time.

 

“Gotcha!” Bora laughs. “Be careful there.” She gently tugs Handong back in bed.

 

“Don’t worry, I’m not angry about you sneaking in to sleep with me. In fact, you should be the one to be angry.”

 

Handong furrows her eyebrows and tilts her head with a cute hum. “Why?”

 

“Because we’re supposed to be working on the pitching competition!”

 

“Oh.” Handong blinks and shrugs. “Don’t worry about it. You’ve been so busy with your work. It’s not like I have a reason to go back to China anyway…”

 

“Hey.” Bora frowns, noticing the hint of sadness in Handong’s voice. “Don’t say that. We’re partners. We’re supposed to help each other.”

 

Handong nervously scratches her head. “Actually, it’s been…lonely without you around.”

 

At her confession, Bora pulls her to a hug. “I’m so sorry!” She Handong’s head, all of the guilt hitting her chest. She’s right. This is entirely her fault in the beginning. She’s been so occupied with helping Minji that she’s left Handong in the dark.

 

“No, it’s fine. Really…” Handong mumbles.

 

Bora makes a decision.

 

“Alright, starting from tomorrow, you’re coming with me to work.”

 

“Huh?”

 

“Come on, it’s killing two birds with one stone. I’ll get to work on the pitching project with you. You’ll get exposed to how the Kims run the business. Treat it like an internship!”

 

“…Are you sure about that? Shouldn’t you ask Minji first…”

 

“Oh, don’t worry about that!” Bora waves her hand. “I’m sure she’ll openly agree!”

 

It’s the optimism that strikes Handong. She’s never seen a sun so bright, gleaming with so much of positive energy. It’s rather…charming. And she’s attracted to that warmth. She wants more of that.

 

“…Thank you, Bora.”

 

 

---

 

 

Seoul University has never been this crowded. Ever since Dami started “visiting” the institution on the reason that she’s here for Gahyeon, her admirers have flocked to get a glimpse of the woman.

 

It’s easy to say that Dami is the popular one among the Lee sisters. Well-mannered, down-to-earth yet cool and chivalrous, she doesn’t flirt openly like Siyeon.

 

“I’m pretty sure my sister isn’t here to see me.” Gahyeon says, glancing at Yoohyeon who is engrossed in updating her lecture notes on the laptop. “Hello? Are you listening?”

 

Yoohyeon nods. “Yeah, I got you.” She turns to look at her. “But Gahyeon, you found out already right?”

 

“That you and Dami unnie are friends?”” Gahyeon scoffs and waves her hand. “Way too obvious. But I still don’t understand why you still want to keep your identity a secret. I mean your sister, Minji is already receiving so much of attention. Heck, there’s already these fan pages swooning over her visuals. Do you like being under the water that much?”

 

Yoohyeon shrugs. “I don’t really like the attention. Though I think it’s pretty amazing how Dami can be so patient with that group harassing her all the time. If I were her, I’d be super annoyed” The brunette mutters while looking down at the window where Dami is seen reading a book in the park, surrounded by all of her admirers.

 

“Dami unnie is like a magnet.” Gahyeon explains. “She attracts a lot of people. But she needs to find the right match to really stick well. And…I think that’s you.”

 

“Me?” Yoohyeon raises her eyebrow. “Oh, come on, of course! We’re friends!”

 

Friends.

 

Gahyeon groans. She can’t believe how dense this Kim woman is. Giving up on trying to give more hints, the girl reminds Yoohyeon that they should go to their next class.

 

Dami peeks at the window above, watching the two leave the lecture hall. While she could be anywhere else, the woman feels at ease being nearby. Keeping Yoohyeon and Gahyeon at bay is her top priority right now…at least, until they figure out who is the mysterious third party.

 

 

---

 

 

Minji is at the Lee Corps for the meeting. Coming here several times already, she’s gotten over the nerves of knocking onto Siyeon’s office and having to face the woman head on. She’s learnt to lock her feelings because she is no longer Jiu, but Minji.

 

But today is different.

 

“Hi ma’am, much apologies but the boss won’t be seeing you today.” Siyeon’s secretary says at the lobby.

 

Minji raises her eyebrow. “Why is that so?”

 

“Boss hasn’t been feeling well lately…”

 

“Oh my, is that so? Then, that is more reason for me to see her.”

 

“Ma’am…I don’t think…”

 

Despite the secretary’s excuses, Minji was brought on with concern and managed her way inside. Opening the door however, the woman is greeted with Siyeon drinking in broad daylight. Bottles scattered all over her dirty desk.

 

“I’m sorry that you had to see this Ma’am…” The secretary apologises.

 

“Oh no, it’s fine. Do you mind giving us a moment alone?” Minji asks kindly.

 

“Of course…”

 

With the secretary gone, Minji closes the door and turns to look at Siyeon. She’s in a mess. The sight hurts her. A month has passed since, but it is evident that pretending to be okay was simply much worse. Each day spent together as business partners and not lovers.

 

The memories still stay. The scars also stay.

 

 “Oh…Siyeon…” Minji sighs.

 

The Lee was never one to drown herself in alcohol. In fact, she isn’t a good drinker. That tells a lot about the woman’s crazy decision to cross the line.

 

“Stop.” Minji grabs the bottle and stops Siyeon before she can take another sip.

 

“Shut it.” Siyeon mumbles and tries to catch the glass. But Minji is taller and raise her arm higher

 

“This isn’t good for you. Stop it.” Minji urges.

 

“You don’t tell me what to do!” Siyeon shouts, suddenly pushing Minji away. She points at her and mutters, “You .”

 

Minji gasps. Those words hurt. A bullet shooting through her chest. Blades stabbed into her skin. Pain. Nothing but pain.  

 

“I loved you. I really did.”

 

Siyeon’s voice cracks. Tears start flowing down her cheeks. She’s breaking down.

 

“I would do anything for you.” She yelled. “But in the end, you betrayed me.” The woman looked down. “You lied to me. You faked it. You were just playing with my feelings. I was just…a toy.”

 

Minji doesn’t say anything. Again. This time, she reasons with the fact that there is no point talking with a drunk Siyeon. Right now, her priority is getting Siyeon away from the bottles and take her home for the day.

 

The Lee needs all the rest she can get.

 

“Do you know?”

 

Siyeon asks quietly, slowly approaching Minji with lazy steps. “Every night, I can’t fall asleep. I try to hug something. I try to take sleeping pills. None of that works. I want to feel at peace. But I’ve come to realise that…” The woman clutches her chest. “Nothing can replace you. Your warmth, your scent. I can’t…I can’t just keep living like this!”

 

Minji stands still when Siyeon grabs onto her shirt, grabbing it tightly and burying her face into her chest. Cloth stained in her hot tears. The woman simply bears with her weight and warmth.  

 

“I hate you Kim Minji. I hate you for doing this to me.” Siyeon sobs, softly throwing punches at her.

 

“And I’m sorry Siyeon. I really am.” Minji says, fighting the urge to hug her back. It’s hard. But she cannot let her feelings take over. She can’t. “Let me get your secretary and send you home.”

 

 

---

 

 

 

Yoohyeon and Gahyeon’s classes continue until the night.

 

Lecture after lecture, it does take a toll on their fatigue. Yet, Dami is still hanging around the campus grounds. Sometimes, she’ll be in the library or at the canteen. But she’s always within close distance.

 

“Are you sure…?” Yoohyeon asks with raised eyebrows.

 

“Yeah!” Gahyeon nods. “I’ll drive you home. It’s not like I’m letting you take the last train home at this hour.”

 

“I don’t trust your driving.” Yoohyeon eyes suspiciously.

 

“Excuse me, I’m the best driver in my family!” Gahyeon scoffs, showing off her Audi car key.

 

Yoohyeon shrugs. “Anyways, you said you wanted to go to the toilet right? I’ll wait for you outside.”

 

“Okay. I’m just telling you to be prepared for an awesome ride.” Gahyeon winks and enters the restroom.

 

Leaning against the wall while waiting for Gahyeon, Yoohyeon opens her phone to text Dami. At last, after much pestering, she finally got her number. The two have been texting on and off. Sometimes, they would chat about what’s happening between the families. She’s gotten the idea that the Lees are quite dull in nature, unlike how they are portrayed in the public eye. But most of the time, they’d just dive with nonsensical and trivial topics.

 

[Yoohyeon] Gahyeon’s in the toilet. She said she’s gonna drive me home later lol.

 

[Dami] Well, I’m not letting her drive anyway.

 

[Yoohyeon] You’re such a protective sister. Let the baby drive!

 

[Dami] No.

 

[Yoohyeon] Okay, I’ll drive ;)

 

[Dami]: No.

 

[Yoohyeon]: Aww come on…

 

All of a sudden, Yoohyeon hears a scream. Immediately, she runs into the restroom.

 

“Gahyeon? Is everything alright?!”

 

The brunette freezes when she sees a tall, muscular man appear from the stall. Black from head to toe, face covered with a mask, he’s got Gahyeon hostage with a gun pointing towards her head and the other hand covering .

 

“Move. Or I’ll shoot her.” The man orders.

 

By instinct, Yoohyeon raises her hands up in surrender. Slowly taking a step back, “Okay. Alright. Calm down. I’m not going to do anything.” Her eyes look around, trying to see if there’s anything she can use to retaliate back. But alas, luck is not on her side today. She’s screwed.

 

Gahyeon tries to fight back and manages to muffle a loud, “Yoohyeon unnie!”

 

“Dumb girl.” The man smirks.

 

Bang!