Chapter 5

Pieces of You

A usual morning at the Kims would see the family gathering for breakfast. Yoohyeon would eat quickly while rushing for her classes. Bora takes her time while playing with Pie and Cherry. Minji sleeps in. Except, this wasn’t the ‘usual’ morning for the Kims.

 

Mrs. Kim found it odd that her husband did not return home after leaving in the middle of the night. Although he had reasoned that there was an ‘urgent’ business meeting to attend, the several missed calls have made the woman anxious.

 

Running on only three hours of sleep, Minji knew that something was wrong. Thanks to their training from young, she and Bora moved quickly to track their father’s last destination. This was done by identifying the location of his phone.

 

It was mandatory for the twins to learn how to respond in emergency situations like these. After all, there were many occasions where the Kims were victims of kidnapping, assassination and assault. Though the last attempt was 15 years ago, it is always better to be safe than sorry.

 

“Father was behaving strangely during last night’s dinner.” Bora recalls as they waited for the machine to load. “I should’ve been more alert.”

 

“Don’t blame yourself. It’s not your fault.” Minji comforts her twin as the machine beeps. On the screen flashes a map of where Mr. Kim’s phone is located. It is at Dano Villa, an old pension that is an hour drive away from Seoul.

 

Memorising the route and downloading a copy to her phone, Minji doesn’t waste any time. But Bora stops her.

 

“No. I am coming with you.” She emphasises whilst tightening the grip on Minji’s wrist. “I’m not going to let you do this all alone okay? I’ll get some of Dad’s bodyguards with us, just in case. And I’ll call up the secretaries and directors on this matter.”

 

Minji clutches tightly onto Bora’s hand, always thankful for the help. As twins, Minji was born a couple minutes earlier. She was fated to be heir, while Bora was not. Despite that, Bora has never once expressed jealously nor hatred over such matters. She remained supportive and understanding on her burdensome role.

 

“Thank you, Bora. I’ll get the car ready.”

 

At the same time, peace is also disrupted in the Lee’s mansion.

 

Sleeping soundly in her king-sized bed, Siyeon groaned at the annoying ringing call of a call. It is barely nine in the morning and usually, the Lee would scold anyone who would dare wake her at this hour. But today is different. 

 

When her secretary informed Siyeon about Mr. Lee’s disappearance, the heir jolts from her bed. Brushing her teeth in a rush while making arrangements to visit Dano Villa with the company of bodyguards, secretaries and directors, everything is done in a snap. The Lee was aware of her father’s plans to meet Mr. Kim but had no idea it was this soon. 

 

“Yes, please cancel all of my schedules for this week. Also, do inform Rose Matter that the meeting is postponed”

 

Siyeon speed-walks along the corridor. Hands busy on the phone, her eyes meet with Dami who is all dressed up. No words of exchange are needed between the Lee siblings. By one look, it is enough to send the message across. Dami follows Siyeon into the car as it drives off into a hurry.

 

“I swear to god, if Father decides to repeat what Grandfather tried to do fifteen years ago…”

 

Siyeon sighs as she watches the changing scenery from the window with much anxiety building in her chest. Dami holds warmly onto her sister’s hand.

 

“Let’s calm down. Take a deep breath and think this out carefully. I’ve already paid the police to buy us some time.”

 

“And what about Gahyeon?” 

 

“Don’t worry. She doesn’t have any classes today so she’s sleeping in.”

 

“Good.” Siyeon nods. “If Father is…” 

 

“If Father meets his demise, then you will be the ruler. Wouldn’t that be great?” Dami asks.

 

Siyeon scoffs in response. “I wouldn’t say it's a great thing. But then again, the thought of Father being dead…” She hesitates. “It should be a sad thought. Yet why…” 

 

“Why does it bring us happiness?”

 

Dami answers it for her. Casually leaning back into the seat as if she didn’t say something controversial, the Lee looks away. Siyeon stares at her sister with utter surprise and is left speechless. Sometimes, the woman wonders just how much Dami knows about the family. Unlike Siyeon who bore the responsibility of the heir, her two sisters did not witness the true reality of what defined the Lees - bribery, blackmail, murder and arson. 

 

“Anyways, you should rest unnie. We have a whole hour until Dano Villa. Bet you didn’t have much sleep.” Dami diverts the topic of conversation to which Siyeon admittedly agrees. Turning to her side and closing her eyes, Siyeon thinks she will have to find a proper time to talk to Dami properly. 
 

 

---


 

Passion can sometimes drain one’s energy and that is what exactly happened to Handong. This was the first time she had been this enthusiastic, working on a project with the good company of someone.

 

Eyes fluttering open to the soft presses of keys and occasional humming, Handong wakes to see Yoohyeon sitting at the desk, typing away on her laptop. She appears to be working on an assignment. 

 

“Yoohyeon..?

 

The brunette turns to greet her with a smile. “Oh, you’re finally awake.” She approaches Handong and sits on her bed. “Sorry. I know this is pretty sudden but something happened to my Father so my sisters are kinda busy. Bora unnie told me to look after you while they are away.”

 

“What about your classes?” Handong asks with worry. She doesn’t want the girl to miss it because of her.

 

Yoohyeon waved her hand. “It’s okay. I can skip it cause it’s an emergency.”

 

“Emergency?”

 

“Don’t tell Bora unnie that I told you, otherwise she’s gonna strangle me to death but…” Yoohyeon sighed. “Father went missing last night.” She confessed and immediately patted Handong’s shoulder. “I know, I know. I’m worried too but there’s nothing we can do but wait.”

 

“I’m so sorry…” 

 

“You don’t have to.” Yoohyeon smiles sadly. “Anyways! Let’s get our mind off the negativity.” She claps her hands. “I need some help with my assignment.” She giggles, bringing her laptop over.

 

Handong rolls her eyes. “Cheater.”

 

“Oh, come on! I don’t know anything about Chinese literature!” Yoohyeon whines. 

 

Handong laughs. “Fine, but I’ll only help you. This whole essay, you have to write it on your own.” She warns in a playful manner. 

 

“Of course!” Yoohyeon grins, making Handong smile again. 

 

Being the only child, Handong was envious of those who had siblings. When she saw Bora and Yoohyeon bickering non-stop last night, she too craved for that kind of relationship. But now, the princess thinks that she’ll be able to have that kind of opportunity while living with the Kims. 

 

This will definitely be a memory she will never forget. 

 

 

---

 

 

Gahyeon wakes up to an empty mansion. 

 

Going through her sisters’ rooms and finding them gone, she sends them a text. No reply. She goes to find her mother but the woman too is missing. Peeking out of the curtains, all of the family’s vehicles have disappeared. This feels like a nightmare. 

 

Gahyeon hated being alone.

 

As the youngest, she craved for attention and love. Her father was cold. Her mother remained distant. But only her two sisters truly cherished her and were always open to listen. Life under an icy family deprived of warmth had led to Gahyeon’s search for affection.

 

Her late grandfather always blamed Mr. Lee for failing to give a male heir but three daughters. Surely, as the last child, she was simply a disappointment in the eyes of her parents. An extra baggage left to rot. But she refused to be nothing. She wanted to prove to others that she was someone too. 

 

A person worthy of living. 

 

“Arin-ah, where are you?” Gahyeon asks, wanting to seek comfort in her best friend. “You’re in class? Oh...okay. No, it’s nothing. Really. Yeah, good luck!” She ends the call bitterly and clenches her fist. 

 

That’s when the thought hits her. This was her opportunity to strike. 

 

Gahyeon rushes into her father’s study room. Tall, sturdy and full bookshelves. A large portrait of the man hanging on the wall. The lingering smell of cigars. She remembers it very clearly. 

 

The girl was only seven when she accidentally stumbled into Mr. Lee’s study room. It was an unspoken rule that no one, not even Mrs. Lee was permitted entry. That’s why when Mr. Lee found out, the man was furious. As punishment, Gahyeon was thrown out to the freezing porch in the middle of winter and locked from getting inside.

 

Shivering and lips turning blue, bawling and begging for forgiveness, it was her sisters who saved the day. Siyeon and Dami worked together to bypass the guards, secretly opening a window and took turns to climb down three stories to save their sister.

 

From that day onwards, Gahyeon kept a distance from her father. Deep inside her heart, she bore a growing hatred for him. If she were to be honest, she wished that Mr. Lee would die.

 

Rummaging through his desk, Gahyeon searches through the secret documents. She looks through each one. Papers of bribery. Newspaper cuts of covered-up murders. Photographs of targeted individuals who were assassinated. The secrets were out of the bag. 

 

“What the hell?!” Gahyeon gasped, still trying to process this splash of reality being hit at her. At that moment, the phone rings. With trembling hands, she manages to accept the call. 

 

“Unnie…” 

 

“Gahyeon? What’s wrong?” Dami asks, immediately sensing her sister’s shaky voice. 

 

“Were all of you hiding this from me?” Gahyeon sobs. “Just how evil is this family?!”


 

---


 

Minji and Bora arrive at Dano Villa. 

 

At the sight of not one, not two, but five black Mercede cars surrounding the pension, Minji had ordered their driver to make a u-turn and park the vehicle in a far distance. From the custom plate number, they were no doubt the Lees. As expected, news spread fast and now the two families are all in one place, together.

 

Tension is in the air. This was something Minji had feared – confrontation with the Lees.

 

Her heart sinks when she observes Siyeon getting out of the car, followed by a parade of bodyguards and her sister, Dami behind. Secretaries and directors gather at the gate. There is a lot of noise and chatter. Indeed, it is definitely a Lee thing to bring a big crowd over such matter.

 

“God, was it really necessary for them to bring their entire company over?” Bora rolls her eyes.

 

For the Kims, it was just Minji, Bora, their driver and a bodyguard in one car. A complete opposite of the Lee’s flashy way of doing things.

 

“I guess we’re going to have to wait until they leave…” Bora turns to her sister, only to realise that Minji is looking pale, as if she saw a ghost. “Hey, are you alright?”

 

Growing up together, the two sisters knew each other from the back of the palm. Minji knows. The time has finally come for all the secrets to be out of the bag. After all, Yoohyeon already knows so, it is only fair for Bora to know as well.

 

“You WHAT?!” Bora shouts in surprise after hearing her sister’s confession. Minji grimaces in pain as she covers her ears, groaning as Bora aggressively grabs her shoulders and starts shaking her back and forth.

 

“Why did you not tell me about this earlier?! What the hell are you going to do now?! Are you even in love with that flirt?!” Bora bombards her sister with endless of questions, firing away like a machine gun.

 

“I’m sorry! Can you- please stop shaking me? I’m going to get sick!” Minji begs.  

 

Siyeon enters the living area of the pension as her eyes are met with a table damaged with gun holes. The chairs are broken. Blood stains on the floor. Glass pieces scattered all over.

 

The heir hums. “This doesn’t look like the work of father. Nor the Kim.” Dami enters and looks around. “I think a third party must’ve been involved.” She suggests.

 

“But who?” Siyeon frowns. “Is there someone else who dares jeopardize our business?”

 

“Well, the Kims would never pull a stunt like this. They’ve always been very cautious and defensive. Has Father said anything else?” Dami asks.

 

Siyeon shakes her head. “All I know that he was planning to coerce Mr. Kim into an agreement.”

 

“Then what do you suggest we do?” Dami looks at her sister. “You’re the boss now.”

 

Siyeon sighs as she looks at her bodyguards ready for the next command. Outside, her secretaries and directors are all gathered to hear the next plan.

 

It’s slowly hitting her.

 

Without Mr. Kim no longer on the throne, it is her turn to sit on the burdensome seat and carry forward the family’s name. All these years of blood, sweat and tears, the time has finally come.

 

Siyeon exhales deeply and begins her orders.

 

As the Lees slowly leave the compound one by one, Minji and Bora wait patiently for the right moment to dive in. Once the last vehicle disappears into the distance, the Kim’s car moves forward and park in front of the pension.

 

Minji heads inside with her bodyguard. Bora stays outside to unlock her father’s car that has remained untouched by the Lees. The door clicks open thanks to the extra key kept for emergency purposes. She searches every corner, eventually opening the lower compartment to find their father’s phone barely surviving with 2% battery.

 

Eureka.

 

 

 

---

 

 

 

“Unnie!”

 

Gahyeon jumps straight into Siyeon and Dami’s arms as her sisters returned home. But she knew something was wrong. That lost of sparkle in her eyes. Usually, Siyeon would return the same warmth with much joy and happiness. But today, it’s cold and empty.

 

“She’s busy Gahyeon.” Dami says, pulling Gahyeon away so that Siyeon could rush off to her other duties.

 

“Oh…” Gahyeon’s voice drops, hands gripping tightly against Dami’s blouse. “What about you? Are you going with Siyeon unnie too?”

 

“She needs all the help.”

 

“I can help too.”

 

“No.” Dami shakes her head.

 

“But-!”

 

The woman knew that her younger sister would start throwing a tantrum. And so, she gently goes to the ground with one knee, hands wrapped around hers and eyes looking up at her little princess who is both confused and frustrated at the whole situation.

 

“I know you want to help. As a Lee, it is only right for you to know everything about the family. But I want you to know that me and also, Siyeon unnie are doing this to protect you. That’s how much we love you.”

 

“So, what do you want me to do? Just pretend and do nothing? Go back to my room like how mom always tells me to do?” Gahyeon exasperates, cheeks flushed out of anger. “Who cares if Father is missing? He’s better off dead!”

 

“Gahyeon!” Dami shouts.

 

“…Sorry.” The girl looks away with a pout.

 

“I understand how you feel. But you must not get too emotional Gahyeon. For the time being, I want you to stay at home. I don’t know what kind of danger is out there. Someone or some group is targeting us.” Dami's voice softens, immediately feeling guilty for lashing out on her.

 

“It can’t possibly be the Kims right?”

 

Dami sighs. “That’s why Siyeon is thinking of meeting them in person. An urgent but formal dinner tomorrow.”

 

“Can I go?”

 

“That’s not for me to decide, Gahyeon.” Dami pats her shoulder. “After all, with Father gone. Siyeon unnie is the one above us now. We serve her now so be good to her.”

 

The day passes quickly with Siyeon heading straight to the office, announcing her temporary position as head in the company whilst working with the PR team on delivering the news of Mr. Lee’s disappearance.

 

Journalists are already gathering outside. News has reached the broadcast stations. The screens are blasting information about the two business empires and the disappearance of their CEOs. Social media is flooding with various comments, some good, some bad and a load of assumptions on what could’ve happened.

 

“And next up, Lee Corps have announced that Lee Siyeon will be taking over the position as leader whilst investigating the case. Lee Siyeon is the daughter of…”

 

Minji turns off the television and leans against the window of her office room. Even from the 55th floor, she can see the flock of reporters gathering outside. Unlike the Lees who are very open and transparent, Minji prefers to walk on thin ice.

 

“So how long are you going to hold on the announcement?” Bora comes in with a knock. “We can’t keep delaying it. The world needs to know who is going to lead the Kim Corps.”

 

Minji sighs and returns to her chair. “Just say that we refuse to comment and prefer to focus on the investigation.”

 

Bora raises her eyebrows. “I doubt that’s going to hold them for long. Maybe a week but…”

 

“It’s okay. A week is all I need.” Minji says as she holds onto the unique, black invitation card sent just two hours ago. “We’re meeting the Lees tomorrow for dinner.”

 

“…Are you sure?” Bora asks with worry. “Didn’t Father always warn us about how dangerous it is to meet them alone?”

 

“I’m meeting Siyeon. Not her father.” Minji corrects. “It is her father that is the dangerous one here. Not Siyeon.”

 

Bora scoffs in disbelief.

 

“Look, I don’t know if this is because you’re completely smitten in love or whatever, but I don’t trust that woman one bit. In a blink she’s going to start pointing a damn gun at you.”

 

“You don’t know her, Bora.” Minji says timidly. “Even though I know that my relationship with her is already over but…” The woman smiles sadly. “At least we made good memories together.”

 

Bora walks over to her sister, realizing that she’s just suffering inside this whole time. “Oh, Minji…” She wraps the woman into a warm hug.

 

“I’m sorry for what I said. You’re right. I don’t know Lee Siyeon like what you do. But it’s only right for me to be concerned.” She pulls back. “Alright. I will trust you. I want to believe that Lee Siyeon is a good person.”

 

Minji holds her hand. “Thank you, Bora.”

 

 

---

“Wow, I didn’t think you’d still meet me out here.”

 

Yoohyeon says with delight as she arrives at the same location. Their secret place in the Han River. As the few lamps illuminate the dark path around them, the woman was sure that no one would find them here. Wearing a hoodie, a mask and sunglasses even though it’s already 8pm, Dami knows better that she shouldn’t be outside. But she has to meet Yoohyeon.

 

“How’s things holding up on your end?” The Lee asks as she sits on the stone stairs. She lowers her mask and finally gets to breathe in the fresh air.

 

“My sister said we’re meeting your family tomorrow with a grand dinner. No bodyguards. Just the three of us. But obviously, that means our cover would be blown.” Yoohyeon shrugs. “Anyways, you look kind of funny. Who the hell wears sunglasses at night?” She chuckles but Dami responses coldly.

 

“Yoohyeon, we have to pretend that we don’t know each other tomorrow.”

 

The brunette frowns her eyebrows. “Huh? But, why? Wouldn’t it be amazing to see everyone getting all shocked and surprised that oh wow, we both are friends-“

 

“Oh my god, that’s exactly why!” Dami groans, almost wanting to tear her own head apart.

 

“Okay fine, sorry.” Yoohyeon raises her hands up in surrender. “Then what do you want me to do? Act scared?”

 

Dami scoffs as she tries to imagine that in her head. It’s rather comical. “Please don’t.”

 

“It’s just a dinner. We’d just eat and talk…right?”

 

“…And discuss about working together.”

 

“Working together- WHAT?!”

 

Dami immediately covered Yoohyeon’s mouth, afraid that her loud voice would attract attention. But soon, she realized how her lips touched against her skin. Flustered, she quickly let go and turned away.

 

“Are the Kims and Lees going to form a partnership?” Yoohyeon asks, not noticing Dami’s behaviour at all. “Hey.” She pats onto Dami’s shoulder. “Lee Dami.” The brunette repeats.

 

“Perhaps. It’s not like we can trust the police to handle everything. The possibility of our fathers’ being alive is very high.” Dami turns to look at Yoohyeon again, hating that her eyes went straight to her lips, and not her face. “Can you just pretend to not know me tomorrow? It’s a favour.”

 

“Alright.” Yoohyeon sighs. “We’re just going to continue the we don’t know each other but we actually do kind of skit huh? Sounds fun.”

 

“Fun…” Dami rolls her eyes while Yoohyeon whines in response. Somehow, the Lee finds herself smiling again.

 

 

 

---

 

 

 

Minji arrives at the hotel. It hits her that this will be the last time seeing this building. The last time greeting the receptionist every two days. The last time she’ll use the same room filled with nothing but happy memories.

 

The woman waits patiently for Siyeon to arrive. The Lee had messaged that she will be late, which is expected due to her duties as leader.

 

Minji paces around the room. She enters the spacious bathroom and looks at the marble bathtub. A memory arrives of them relaxing in the tub with two glasses of red wine.

 

 

“You’re pretty strong with your alcohol.” Siyeon hums as she looks at Minji pouring herself another glass. She smirks and whispers, “That’s y.”

 

Minji smiles and presses a kiss against her bare shoulder. “Your face is turning red. You should stop.” She gently takes the glass from Siyeon’s hand and places it on the counter.

 

“Oh no.” Siyeon shakes her head. “I want to be tipsy. Let me be tipsy because when I’m drunk, I can shower you with love even more.” The Lee grins and takes the glass back, chugging down the last drop.

 

Minji heads to the small living area of their deluxe suite. Another memory comes with them ordering room service in the morning.

 

 

“You look so cute!” Minji laughs, seeing Siyeon’s face all chugged with food.

 

Siyeon frowns and gently hits her. “You’re the one who kept feeding me! There’s no way I could say no.”

 

“Really? You can’t say no to me?” Minji puts the fork down and leans forward. “You can’t say no to me?” She repeats, having much fun watching Siyeon’s eyes tremble.

 

“…No.”

 

Minji smiles and kisses her. “Say it again Siyeon. Can you stop me?” The woman goes deeper into the kiss and feels Siyeon intertwining her hands underneath the table, staying true to her word.

 

 

When Minji turns to the king-sized bed, her whole world crashes. Tears start to flow down her cheeks. The woman sobs quietly and rubs them away, not wanting Siyeon to notice how red they’ve become. She rushes to the bathroom and washes her face.

 

Taking a deep breath, the door bell rings. She’s here.

 

“Sorry I’m late. You probably saw on the TV and all-“ Siyeon’s words were silenced by a kiss.

 

Surprised, Siyeon welcomes it and wraps her arms around Minji’s back. She moans, not expecting her to go deep right off the bat. When she doesn’t stop, Siyeon pulls back.

 

“H-hey…” The Lee is breathless. “You…okay?”

 

Minji is silent. She can’t control her emotions today. She’s breaking apart.

 

“Hey…Jiu unnie…” Siyeon realizes it immediately. No matter how much Minji had tried to hide, her eyes are still red. “What’s wrong?”

 

“We can’t meet each other anymore.” Minji’s voice cracks. She hugs her tightly, not wanting to let go. She doesn’t want this to happen. Her time with Siyeon. The memories they made together. Everything is going to break apart.

 

“…Why?” Siyeon asks softly. She isn’t angry. She is patient and waits for Minji to calm down. “Why can’t we meet each other anymore?” Siyeon looks on, hands running through the woman’s hair and pressing kisses on her cheeks.

 

“My boss found out…” Minji lies. “I will risk losing my job if I continue with this relationship.”

 

“…Oh.” Siyeon looks down. “Then…” The woman thinks for a second. “Leave your job then.” The Lee says. “I’ll hire you. I’m the boss now. My father isn’t around so I can give you a position. I’ll treat you so much better.”

 

“That’s not the point…”

 

“What do you mean?” Siyeon frowns.

 

“You said that your dream was to see your designs being worn on the international runway someday. I can make that happen! I’ll sign contracts with all of the big fashion companies!” The Lee explains with much enthusiasm, refusing to let go.

 

But this simply broke Minji even more. It was the fact that Siyeon was willing to do everything for her, despite not knowing what was going to happen tomorrow.

 

The longer she stays with Siyeon, the more damage she is going to make.

 

“I have to go Siyeon.” Minji says as she pulls back. Even though her body wants her to stay, the woman fights within herself and forces her feet to move. “I’m sorry. I really am.”

 

“Jiu unnie! Wait!”

 

Siyeon stands by the doorway and watches Jiu running away. She dowatches helplessly as she stands by the doorway. She doesn’t chase after her. Confused, the woman stares at her hand, still reminiscent of Jiu’s warmth. But the Lee knows that with her power, she will definitely be able to meet Jiu again.

 

And when the time comes, Siyeon will be stubborn. She won’t let go the love of her life that easily.

 

Even though there’s no reason for her to use the room anymore, Siyeon still enters nevertheless. She walks around, remembering the memories they had together. She scoffs, finding it silly how they had to kept their relationship in full secrecy. This was all because of her father.

 

Her father who never let her wings free.

 

Siyeon’s footsteps come to a halt. Her eyes stare at Jiu’s wallet that she left behind. Bingo. The woman has just found a reason to meet her again. But as the Lee picks it up, a business card falls out.

 

It reads: Kim Minji, Director of Kim Corps.

 

The card drops to the floor and Siyeon freezes.