Chapter 1

Pieces of You

 

The clock strikes twelve. Fireworks burst into the skies, music fills the air and the crowd rejoices. It’s a happy day for Gahyeon because this marks her 21st birthday. Of course, as the spoiled youngest of the Lees, a grand party at their family mansion is a must.

 

“Hey, who’s that over there?”

 

Arin calls, pointing towards the white Audi rolling into the courtyard. Gahyeon squints her eyes as she realises who it is. With a glee smile printed over her face, the birthday girl hurries over. A tall lady with striking, slicked back blonde short hair exits from the car. Leather black from head to toe, anyone could tell that she was on a different level.

 

“Unnie!” Gahyeon squeals, jumping straight to hug her eldest sister, Lee Siyeon.

 

Siyeon laughs in response, stumbling backwards as she returns the embrace. “Happy birthday my baby sister.” She pulls back and playfully pinches Gahyeon’s cheek. “Guess what your favourite unnie got for your birthday?” The lady winks and steps aside, revealing the driver’s seat fully accessible.

 

Gahyeon gasps in shock and shifts to her sister. “Unnie…you can’t be serious…”

 

Siyeon nods with a wide grin. “Oh yes I am. The car is all yours!” She tosses the car key to which Gahyeon successfully catches. “Enjoy your present. Treat it as my apology for not attending your party as unnie has some important business to attend.” The lady coolly turns around with a wave. “Do me a favour and not give it a scratch on the first day. It’s brand new.”

 

“Of course, I won’t! I’m the best driver!” Gahyeon shouts with pride, watching Siyeon walk back to the outer gate where a chauffeur is waiting for her.

 

All the guests are in awe at Siyeon’s charming appearance. Just last week, the woman had black hair. This new look is sure to make talk around the town. Just as Gahyeon is about to excitedly play with her new ‘toy’, an arm stops her. Again, everyone gasps and swoons at the sight of Dami, the other Lee sister.

 

“And where do you think you’re going on your birthday?”

 

“Dami unnie!”

 

“Siyeon unnie may have bought you a car but as your other older sister, I will not allow you to drive it.” Dami shakes her head in disapproval, easily snatching the car key away. “Go and enjoy your party with your friends. You can still drive tomorrow morning.”

 

“But I want to drive it now…” Gahyeon pouts.

 

Dami smiles and rustles the girl’s hair. “Did you forget about the few sips of beer earlier on? We can’t risk a Lee getting involved in a drunk scandal, can we?”

 

Game over. There was nothing Gahyeon could do to retaliate with the mention of their family's reputation at stake. The girl nods sadly, having full understanding of the responsibilities she’ll have to hold. After all, she isn’t just some ordinary commoner. She is a Lee, one of Korea’s biggest and wealthiest families. With that, Dami parks the new white Audi in their family’s basement while Gahyeon continues her birthday party in the company of her friends.

 

“Oh my god, Gahyeon. Your sister, Dami is so cool!” Arin squeals. Dayoung agrees as she downs another cup. “The rumours were true. She’s such a prince!”

 

Gahyeon frowns. “Enough about my sister! Today is all about me!” She grabs another bottle, urging everyone that they’re going to drink till they die.

 

---

 

Far from the loud party is a comfortable silence at a fancy Japanese restaurant. Inside a reserved private room, the tatami mat is laid out with perfection. The aroma of brewed matcha shifts in the air. Traditional folk music murmurs softly into the speakers as a family of four quietly enjoy their dinner feast with fresh sashimi.

 

“Father, is Minji going to be late today?” Bora asks out of curiosity as her sister had not been replying her texts.

 

Mr. Kim shakes his head. “Your sister won’t be attending dinner tonight. She has an urgent errand to do.”

 

“Wow, Minji unnie sure is busy.” Yoohyeon comments while happily smiling away at the next platter of sashimi being served.

 

“Instead.” Mr. Kim puts down his chopsticks. “Bora, I will be assigning you on a special project.”

 

Bora freezes. Sure, it’s always nerve-wrecking whenever her father speaks upon matters pertaining to business but there is this subtle pressure of having to impress. Even though she is not the apparent heir, there is always the doubt of what if Minji doesn’t want to take over or some sudden situation that occurs to such decision. The woman must always be prepared.

 

“Of course, Father. I would be delighted to be part of this project you speak of.”

 

Unlike the Lees who were born from a golden spoon inheritance, the Kims started with humble beginnings. From a small factory business, luck was on their side as it expanded with the support of public love and successful joint ventures. Today, the Kims are always looking for innovative ways to grow in the market. With that, came the idea of going international. Specifically, China.

 

“Han Holdings Corp…” Bora mumbled as she scanned the documents on the table. While it was a lot of text to digest, she could understand that they are a powerful organisation far greater than the Kims themselves. Forming an alliance with such force would certainly mean good news.

 

“The Hans will be arriving in Seoul next week. Mr. Han’s only daughter will be tagging along. They are planning to oversee the areas with plans of setting up their factories here. Your task is to get on the daughter’s good side and of course, show her around the city which I believe would be a fun and simple job for you.”

 

Bora hums as she tries to read out the daughter’s name on print. “Han…Dong.” She looks up nervously, hoping that she pronounced it right. Mr. Kim smiled. “Do not worry my dear. I am also doing my best to learn Mandarin. I believe your younger sister will prove to be of great assistance.

 

Unlike her two sisters, Yoohyeon lives a life of freedom. Without the pressure of having to take over the business or undertake heavy responsibilities for the family, she is very much pampered and spoiled. It was her idea to raise not one, but two puppies (Cherry and Pie) in the household. Currently, the girl is a Chinese language major.

 

“I doubt you’d be able to learn anything much in one week though?” Yoohyeon shakes her head at the thought of her sister’s abilities.

 

“Excuse me?!” Bora fumes, almost wanting to hit her sister. But she doesn’t. At least, for now.

 

“Okay, fine." Yoohyeon shrugs. " I’ll just teach you some basic ones to impress this… Handong girl.”

 

“Why are you making it sound like I’m going on a blind date?”

 

Yoohyeon scoffs. “I’m not. You’re the one thinking that way. Though I can’t blame you. From the picture itself, she’s a real beauty!”

 

---

 

It’s past 2am. The party’s over. Gahyeon’s friends have all left. Peace and quiet has been restored to the Lee mansion.

 

Dami looks at the time and exits her studio where she spends most of her time doing her personal hobby, music production. Heading downstairs and peeking through the wall, she smiles softly at the sight of her baby sister completely knocked out on the sofa.

 

“What am I going to do with you?” Dami easily lifts Gahyeon into her arms, carrying her bridal-style. “I won’t always be around to take care of you. But then again, I don’t want you to grow up.”

 

Dami tucks Gahyeon in bed, pressing a soft peck on her forehead and quietly closing the door shut. As she proceeds to return to her studio, Dami notices that the lights in her parents’ sleeping chambers are still . Leaning to the side, she starts eavesdropping on the rather, serious conversation between the couple.

 

“If you sit and wait, the Kims are going to take over our position. Grandfather will be very disappointed in you.” Mrs. Lee mumbles.

 

“Don’t worry honey. I have a plan in store and of course, I always like to play dirty.”

 

“You’re walking into your uncle’s footsteps.”

 

“Oh, no. I’m not going to be like him. No one is going to get killed.”

 

Upon the mention of ‘kill’, Dami doesn’t freeze. Instead, she calmly took a step backwards and returned back to her studio. Collapsing into her seat with a heavy sigh, she put back her headphones and turned the volume to its fullest. With music blasting and blocking the world around her, it’s the only place where Dami can feel truly free. Despite being the only one among the sisters who knows all of her family’s dirty little secrets, she knows that keeping everything to herself will only break her slowly.

 

One day, she’s going to have to reveal everything in the cloak. But the question is… when?

 

---

 

The night is still young.

 

Far away from the city in a secluded, private hotel, Siyeon arrives just on promised time. Exiting the car and thanking her chauffeur, the woman dusts her coat and heads into the lobby. She thanks the receptionist who immediately recognises her and tells the Lee that it’s on the 12th floor, room 034. Heading up, walking along the corridor and approaching the fated door, Siyeon stands still. Exhaling a slow, deep nervous sigh, she knocks three times. It opens and immediately, her face softens.

 

“Hey.”

 

“…Hi.”

 

The sight leaves Siyeon breathless. Scanning the lady from head to toe, she didn’t know a simple white dress could look so mesmerizing upfront.

 

“I was expecting you to be in your pajamas.”

 

“And why would I?”

 

“It would be more comfortable while waiting for me.”

 

“Actually, I just arrived.” The woman confessed, gently grabbing Siyeon’s hand. “Come on, don’t just stand by the doorway. You make it seem like this is the first time we’ve done this.”

 

Siyeon hums. “It always feels like a first time with you, Jiu.”

 

This leaves Jiu giggling in response. “Already dropping the honorifics?”

 

“Fine.” Siyeon rolls her eyes. “Jiu unnie.” She whispers hotly against her ear. “Happy now?”

 

“Very.” Jiu giggles, eagerly pushing Siyeon against the closed door and locking lips immediately. It’s warm and exhilarating just as how they remembered.

 

A secret exchange in a private place where two individuals can truly feel at peace. This was exactly what Siyeon and Jiu agreed on, three months ago. Away from the city where they can blossom a temporary romance and confide with a companion. After an intimate night, Jiu wakes up in the arms of Siyeon. Hands still intertwined with one another; she breathes into the familiar warm emitting behind her .

 

If only this could last forever. Except…it doesn’t.

 

Jiu notices the blinking light from her phone on the table. A missed message from last night.

 

Father: I presume your absence in yesterday’s family dinner was well worth.

 

The woman looks back at Siyeon who is still soundly asleep.

 

Jiu: Yes. The Lees’ are not aware of the Han’s arrival next week.

 

She sends the message and packs her things. It has always been like that. Fiery greetings and empty farewells. Jiu writes a message to tell Siyeon about their next meeting and leaves it on the nightstand. For a moment, she pauses. Tempted to give her a kiss. Maybe get back in the sheets to snuggle her tight. If she stayed longer, they could have breakfast together. Or a private date. But no. Jiu holds all of that back. She must not let herself get personal.

 

Because in the end, it is all business. It is all for the family.

 

“Oh Siyeon…if only you knew who I really am.”