Chapter 7

Pieces of You

It was a nightmare come to life.

 

Red lights, dripping blood and wheels rolling into the emergency room. Watching the doors close shut as the nurses told her to stay outside, Dami stood there like a statue. Her sister, Gahyeon is missing and her friend Yoohyeon has been shot. Someone was behind all of this. Someone hurt the people she loved and the Lee swore revenge.  

 

“Excuse me, Miss…Dami?”

 

Carefully approaching the woman was a male police officer in charge of investigating the scene. “I’m very sorry for what happened but it is crucial that we locate the suspect immediately. If I could please have a word with you in private…”

 

“Of course.”

 

Anyone would cry. Scream. Vent out in anger. But Dami remained calm and described in full detail to the officer of what happened. Upon hearing the gunshot, she quickly ran over only to find Yoohyeon lying unconscious in a pool of blood and Gahyeon gone. Her first instinct was to alert the authorities.

 

The police officer thanked Dami as he wrote down notes and left. Watching the man disappear along the hallway, the Lee doesn’t waste any time. With one call, she began to assemble her own team at the hospital. As Siyeon was not answering her phone, she decided to handle this case alone.

 

“The officer’s name is Jisung. Here’s the card. Let me know immediately once you’ve found a lead.”

 

“Yes ma’am.” One of the Lee Elites answered. “Will you be following us?”

 

“No. A friend of mine is in the operating room right now. But I will join you later. Now go, time is ticking.” Dami orders as the group bowed and marched away.

 

With an exhausted sigh, Dami returns to the waiting room and collapses in one of the benches. Staring dead at the red light that refused to turn green, she could feel her fatigue slowly consuming her. She blamed herself for failing to protect both her sister and Yoohyeon. She believed it was a cowardly act to stay in a distance, when she could’ve just stayed closer.

 

It was fear.

 

Fear that staying closer by Yoohyeon’s side would cause Dami to fall deeper into this trap called love.

 

“Hey.”

 

A voice breaks Dami from her thoughts as she gets up, eyes meeting with Bora and Handong. Greeting the two with a 90-degree bow, she apologized for causing Yoohyeon harm.

 

“What nonsense are you saying? This was never your fault to begin with! Don’t be so hard on yourself.” Bora comforts Dami. “How is…Yoohyeon?”

 

“She was shot but the wound wasn’t fatal. I’ve already talked to the police and assigned a group of elites to work with them. Whoever did this to Yoohyeon, also kidnapped Gahyeon.” Dami explained as she clutched her fist.

 

Bora and Handong gasped in response. Although hesitant at first, but Bora reached out to Dami and wrapped the woman warmly in her arms. Realising that she didn’t push away, she began to pat her back.

 

“Oh my, you poor girl. I cannot imagine the pain and shock that you are going through right now. Thank you so much for acting quickly. We will do our best and help out whenever we can so don’t burden yourself okay?” Bora pulled back, noticing that Dami holding back her tears.

 

“Thanks.” The Lee mumbles, finding this kind of warmth…awkward to receive. It’s been a long time since she’s felt this way. Sympathy. Comfort. Indeed, the Kims are on another level.

 

“Where is Minji by the way?” Dami asks.

 

“Oh.” Bora lets out a nervous chuckle. “She’s…”

 

---

 

Hours after being sent home by her secretary, Siyeon has been out of it for hours.

 

Helpless in bed and half-awake with the world spinning around her, the butlers have never seen the woman like this before. But delivering the news of Gahyeon’s kidnapping was important. Hesitant and afraid that approaching the Lee could result in a fit, they overheard Siyeon mentioning Minji’s name and decided that the best option was getting the Kim here.  

 

And so, Minji drove all the way to the Lee mansion after a call. This was her first time visiting the household and honestly, it isn’t any different from hers. Spacious yet empty gardens. Wide but lonely hallways. The perfect description of how wealth ate the warmth of a home.

 

Siyeon froze as the door opened. She expected to see Gahyeon running in, scolding her for drinking too much. She expected to see Dami shaking her head in disapproval at what she has become. But instead, it’s Minji standing there.

 

“Why…are you here?”

 

“Do you even know what’s happening right now?” Minji sighs. “A few hours ago, Gahyeon was kidnapped by an unknown force. My sister, Yoohyeon was shot. And you still have the audacity to lie down here like nobody’s business?”

 

Pause. Siyeon blinked once. Twice in silence as her sober mind processed the information.

 

“….”

 

The woman struggled to get out of bed. Head heavy, feet barely managing to land on the floor, she groaned and leaned against the wall for support.

 

“This stupid headache…how dare they? I’m going to kill them! Capture my little baby?! Shoot a Kim?! Those bastards…”  

 

“Stop.”

 

Minji cuts in and grabs hold of Siyeon’s wrist. Already, she can feel the Lee trembling, a clear sign that she is in no condition to function properly right now.

 

“Dami already did most of the work. She’s dispatched an elite team to work with the police. I’m meeting her afterwards to check whether we can track the location of Gahyeon’s phone. I just came here as a messenger. That’s all.” Minji lets go. “It’s better that you rest up and be at your top condition when sun rises.”

 

“You came here all the way here…just to tell me that?”

 

“Yes.” Minji answers coldly. “I have no other reason to be here.” She emphasizes and heads for the door.

 

It takes only three seconds. It’s easy.

 

All Siyeon needed to do was to open and ask Minji to stay. Three simple words, “Stay with me.” But she couldn’t. She stopped. As her hand reached out for Minji, she brought it back down and looked away. The door opens and Minji’s presence is gone.

 

Siyeon watches quietly from the window as Minji’s car slowly rolls out to the courtyard. As she ignores the concerns of her worried butlers, the Lee returns to bed and hopes sleep will make her forget this pain.

 

And perhaps, it did.

 

When morning arrives, Gahyeon wakes to the sounds of waves crashing. Seagulls squawking in the distance, warm sunrays basking onto her skin. She faintly remembers the horrors of that evening: a loud gun shot, Yoohyeon and then darkness.

 

Flickering her eyes open, fingers wriggling about, her movements are restricted. Gahyeon knows she’s been captured hostage for whatever reason. By collecting hints from her surroundings, she assumes she’s being transported somewhere on a boat. Not having enough energy to lift her head however, Gahyeon hears these men murmuring away.

 

As their footsteps draw closer, she knows better to pretend like she’s never woken up. In a situation like this, the key to survival is through acting.  

 

“Finally, we’re here.” The man sighs, somewhat tired of the long ride. A walkie-talkie beeps.

 

“Hey boss, open up. We just arrived and like promised, I got the girl. Yup, your princess is unhurt, precious property after all.” He snickers and orders his partner to carry Gahyeon away.

 

The Lee peeks one of her eyes open to catch a view of where she is. A boat in the middle of the ocean and…a submarine floating right above it. Gahyeon is taken inside. The air grows heavy. The sounds of the outside world become muffled.

 

“So that’s the girl?”

 

“Yes sir.”

 

The man hums and points. “Put her with the old geezers downstairs. Maybe that will make em open their damn mouth.”

 

Down the steps as the metal door creaks open, the two men inside gasp at the sight.

 

“You bastard.”

 

The man smirks. “So…are you going to talk, now that I’ve got your daughter here, Mr. Lee?”

 

 

---

 

Pain.

 

It’s the first thing that hits Yoohyeon awake as she finds herself lying in a hospital bed. On her left, there are white curtains blocking the morning sunlight. On her right, her sister Bora is seated with Handong. Both of them are fast asleep with the princess resting her head on Bora’s shoulder. If anything, they look sweet together.

 

The brunette vividly recalls everything that happened last night. The mysterious man. Gahyeon being held at gunpoint. The bullet piercing through her skin. Pause.

 

Dami comes into the picture.  

 

“Unnie.”

 

Yoohyeon calls out. Immediately, Bora bolts awake and quickly pulls her chair over. “How are you feeling? Can you talk properly? Move properly? Do you know who I am?”

 

The brunette chuckles, finding it amusing to see her sister being all worried. “Of course, I do. You’re my annoying sister.”

 

Bora smiles in relief and gently smacks Yoohyeon’s palm. “You brat.”

 

“I’ll call the nurses.” Handong says and leaves the room.

 

“How are you feeling?” Bora asks.

 

“Like . But otherwise, lucky to be alive.” The brunette shrugs. “But enough about me. Is Gahyeon okay? What about Dami?”

 

Bora stiffens and lowers her head.

 

“Everyone is doing their best to find her. Don’t worry too much about it. Also, the police officers wanted to talk to you once you’re awake but I shoo’ed them away.”

 

“And Dami?” Yoohyeon repeats. Bora gives her a suspicious look. She did not expect the brunette to show much interest in the Lee. It’s not like they’ve interacted much, despite being the same age.

 

“She’s with Minji. They are working together on finding a lead to Gahyeon. Why?”

 

“Nothing. I’m just…concerned.”

 

Yoohyeon answers with a frown. She cannot imagine how shocked Dami must’ve been after seeing her in such a state. Knowing the woman usually locks her real emotions inside, she’s probably suffering a lot right now.

 

Bora hums in thought and crosses her arms. “Are you interested in Dami? I mean, in my opinion, she’s definitely better than Siyeon. I still don’t understand what Minji sees in that playgirl.”

 

Yoohyeon scoffs. “Unnie, we’re just friends. Best friends I’d say. If anything, I should be asking you the same question!”

 

“Huh?”

 

The brunette has a playful smirk written all over her face. “There’s something going on between you and Handong, right?!”

 

Bora’s face starts to turn red. “H-Huh?” She stutters, leaving Yoohyeon to burst into laughter, loving at how obvious her sister is at displaying her true feelings. The brunette already connected the dots ever since that morning when she and Handong came into the bedroom to wake Minji and Bora up.

 

The equation was easy to solve: Bora was always loud, expressive and energetic around people whether it be family, friends or total strangers. But when it came to Handong, Bora was more soft-spoken, gentle and careful with her words. It’s a behaviour that Yoohyeon has never seen in her twenty-four years of living together.

 

“You’re mistaken. Handong is a foreigner.”

 

“Lies.”

 

“Stop-“

 

“I’m back!” Handong pops in, head peeking through the door opening. “The nurses said they’ll call the doctor to check you up. Is…” She tilts her head cutely in confusion. “…something wrong? Bora looks like she saw a ghost.”

 

Yoohyeon snorts while Bora suddenly rises from her seat, waving her hands in denial.

 

“Oh, it’s nothing! Nothing at all! Since Yoohyeon is awake, we can all relax. Shall we go get some drinks at the vending machine. You must be thirsty. What do you want?”

 

The woman easily drags Handong back outside, afraid that Yoohyeon’s tongue slips.As the door draws shut, the brunette rolls her eyes and shakes her head in disapproval.

 

“Deny all you want unnie. I’m not going to play cupid for you.”

 

At the same time, Minji is over at the Lee Corps office with Dami.

 

Together with the IT department, they’ve been able to trace the last location of Gahyeon’s phone before it died. A large map out on the table, digital tablets showing security camera footage of the assailant passing through the campus grounds and photographs of the scene, there were many questions to solve yet, very little time.

 

“Seoul Port. That’s very strange. Why there?” Minji hums, her mind blank as she’s not able to find a link.

 

Dami remains silent as she tries to piece the puzzle. Then, she approaches one of her IT employees. “Can you do a search of any businesses running at the Seoul Port?”

 

One click does the trick and a single result comes up - Rising Sun Trade & Co. Dami proceeds to log into the website and discovers that the business does more than just trading of goods. It also rents out boats, fishing vessels, ships and yachts. Bingo.

 

“Do you think you can find a record of their last rented boat?” Dami asks to which the IT employee says he’ll do his best.

 

Minji who has been observing quietly is impressed. “As expected, you’re just like your sister.” The woman mumbles but becomes flustered when she realizes Dami hears it loud and clear.

 

“Thanks.” Dami replies. “Actually…” The woman hesitates and turns to face Minji. “I knew about your relationship all along.” She confesses. “Look, I’m not the type to meddle into such private affairs but you two should make up soon. My sister has been suffering a lot and I personally think it’s unhealthy to keep a relationship this way.”

 

“…You’re right.” Minji looks down, fully accepting the fact that this was the truth. They pretended that everything was okay. But except, it wasn’t. Both sides were on the losing end.

 

“Ma’am, I got the records.” The employee says as Dami goes over to the screen.

 

Her intuition was correct. The last rental record was last night, about two hours before Gahyeon was kidnapped. It was very possible that her sister was kidnapped and brought out to the sea for god knows what reason.

 

“Alright, dispatch a search & rescue team to the South China Sea. I’d also like another team to drop by the Rising Sun Trade & Co for an investigation.” Dami orders her men. “Minji, I would appreciate if you can settle with the press on your end.”

 

“Of course. I’ll get the PR team ready.” Minji answers as she starts calling her group.

 

There is a clear difference when it comes to working with Siyeon and Dami. While Siyeon tends to disagree and often uses emotions in her decision-making process, Dami keeps a level-headed approach and plans everything out in advance. She’s beginning to understand why Siyeon has always believed that Dami was the one suitable for the role of leader.

 

“By the way…” Dami cuts in politely. “Would it be okay if you could visit the Rising Sun Trade & Co with my sister? I got a text from Yoohyeon that she’s woken up and I think it’s best that I go see her.”

 

“No problem.” Minji says, although deep inside, she’s scared. “I’ll give Siyeon a call. She should be awake and hopefully, sober.”

 

Dami smiles. “Thanks.”

 

 

---

 

 

“You know, if you’re tired, you can always go back to the mansion. I can call up the chauffeur for you.” Bora says as she takes a sip from her coke. She and Handong are seated at the waiting lobby after getting their drinks from the vending machine.

 

Handong shakes her head. “I don’t want to.”

 

“Is it because…it’ll be lonely?” Bora asks cautiously.

 

Handong nods as she throws away her empty can. “Plus, I want to help. I want to find those bad guys who did that to Yoohyeon. I really hope that Gahyeon is alright too.” She pouts, frustrated that there is only so much she can do.

 

Bora pats Handong’s head. “We all do. But sometimes, we must rely on those who can really help.”

 

“So, we just sit here and pray for good news?”

 

“Well, if you put it that way, we have to stay with Yoohyeon and make sure those bad guys don’t come after her again. For all we know, the Lees are probably not their only targets.”

 

“You live in such a dangerous family.” Handong says.

 

“Welcome to the Kims.” Bora smiles sadly. “Don’t worry, I won’t let anything happen to you.” She reaches her arm out and pulls Handong closer. “Over my dead body.”

 

“You make it sound like you’re going to die protecting me.” Handong rolls her eyes. “Dramatic much.”

 

Bora gasps. The more she’s with Handong, she gets to learn all these new sides of this woman. Spending every single day with her is never boring.

 

“Wow…how could you say that?”

 

Handong giggles and says she was joking. She was expecting Bora to throw a fit like how she does with Yoohyeon. But to her surprise, she doesn’t. She’s just gone quiet and looking speechless.

 

“Since we’re going to basically camp at the hospital, shall we use this time to work on our pitching project?” Handong suggests, noticing that Bora looks a little upset that her ‘sweet words’ were backlashed.

 

“Sure.” Bora finishes the last drop of her coke and gets up. “Maybe Yoohyeon could give us some new ideas on the presentation too. Though I really doubt it.”

 

“Don’t be like that. Yoohyeon is smarter than you think.” Handong smiles and wraps her arm around Bora, finding comfort and hoping that it’s enough to make Bora feel better.

 

As the two return to Yoohyeon’s ward, they are surprised to see Dami. They exchange greetings and bows. Handong observes something and decides that it’s best to leave them alone for awhile. Grabbing tighter onto Bora’s arm, Handong makes up an excuse that she will go for a toilet break and brings her along.

 

Closing the door shut, Bora is confused.

 

“What are you doing?”

 

Handong places her finger to her lips. “Just watch.” She whispers as the two watch from the window.

 

“It’s not your fault Dami.” Yoohyeon repeats. “In fact, I’m really thankful that you’ve done so much already. You’re really the best. An angel.”

 

Dami sighs. “Fine.” She leans against the wall and observes the bandages wrapped around Yoohyeon’s shoulder. “You better not move your left arm for the time being. If you need to eat or drink, use your other arm. Bora and Handong will be here until you’re discharged so if anything, ask them for assistance.”

 

“Yeah, yeah, geez, there you go nagging again.” Yoohyeon scoffs.

 

“I’m just worried. Whoever kidnapped my sister, probably has you on their target list. I should get one of my Elites here on standby.”

 

“You’re going overboard, Dami. Just calm down.” Yoohyeon smiles. “You make it sound like I’m some main character in an action movie who’s being chased down.”

 

“Then treat me as the supporting character who dies in the end protecting the main character.” Dami says with a smile. “I won’t be able to visit often but promise me that you’ll do as what I said.”

 

“Got that mom.” Yoohyeon rolls her eyes as Dami begins to approach her. At that moment, she bends down and places a chaste kiss on Yoohyeon’s cheek. “Be good.” She says while nonchalantly leaving the ward.

 

Taken by surprise, “W-what the hell was that? Hey! Lee Dami!” Yoohyeon shouts, flustered at what just happened. But Dami doesn’t say anything and instead drew the door shut, leaving the brunette alone to deal with this burning heat forming inside her chest.

 

Hiding in the corner just moments before Dami left, Bora and Handong covered their mouths in surprise. Like an audience who watched a cliffhanger of a twenty-episode romance drama, they cannot believe what they had just witnessed.

 

“We’re keeping this a secret.” Handong says.

 

“Really? It would be really fun to about it though?” Bora whispers.

 

Handong shakes her head and smirks. “Oh no unnie, it will be more fun to see where this goes without her knowing.”

 

 

---

 

 

The ride to the Rising Sun Trade & Co is silent.

 

Seated next to each other, Minji and Siyeon have no reason to start a conversation. Hands kept to themselves, eyes looking out to the window, they are here for only one sole purpose: to investigate.

 

Siyeon wanted to take different cars but Minji argued that bringing a whole parade of vehicles to a single location will simply draw attention. The media has yet to receive news of Gahyeon’s kidnapping and once a photograph goes viral on the internet, it’s over. Having nothing to say against that statement, Siyeon kept quiet and entered the vehicle.

 

Throughout the ride, Minji occasionally steals glances at Siyeon, wondering what she might be doing. She wonders if she has eaten, she worries whether Siyeon still experiences a headache. But the woman keeps sealed and refuses to ask anything despite her curiousity.

 

Siyeon too, steals glances at Minji. She recognizes her perfume and honestly, it’s a scent that makes her calm. She observes the way she’s seated in the car, legs crossed, hands folded, it’s a typical position that feels like home. All too familiar in memory. The Lee clears and tilts her head against the window, deciding to divert her attention to the scenery outside.

 

“Would you like to listen to some music?” The driver asks, sensing the odd, cold tension in the vehicle.

 

“No, it’s fine.”

 

Minji and Siyeon answer at the same time. The two stare and look away after a second. Both of them wish they would arrive at the destination soon. This is just pure torture.

 

“By the way…” Minji finally speaks. Siyeon turns, somewhat expectant of something. But alas, it was a question related to work.

 

“Who are these Lee Elites you speak of? I’ve never seen them before.”

 

“They are former military dogs who have been recruited under our wing, mostly tasked to do with things that needs protection or killing. There are five of them, Wonho, B.M, Doojoon, Siwon and Taecyeon. The one sitting next to the driver is Siwon who is the most senior and experienced.” Siyeon says, giving a textbook answer.

 

“I see.” Minji nods and the conversation ends. Back to cold silence.

 

Siyeon appreciates the fact that Minji tried to strike up a topic and decides to play her own cards too. They have to get somewhere. It’s not like they can keep acting like this forever. For the sake of business, one should not have bad ties with a prosperous partner. The Lees and Kims may have a history of rivalry, but the priority now is to maintain this friendship before it sours again.

 

“Don’t worry. We’ll protect you with everything we got. The Lees are more capable than you think.”

 

“Just don’t die.” Minji mumbles quietly but Siyeon doesn’t hear.

 

“Ma’am, we have arrived.” Siwon says. “Please stay in the car. There could be enemies ahead.”

 

“I don’t think…” Minji says but Siyeon cuts in, “Just to be safe.”

 

Siwon returns a minute later and gives the “ok” sign. Siyeon gets out of the car first and still, as always, keeps her manners and opens the door for Minji.

 

Rising Sun Trade & Co appears to be empty. It’s a busy Monday but there is not a single soul around as if they packed up last minute. Siwon looks around and draws his weapon. Siyeon walks inside the small office and her instinct was right.

 

It’s a whole mess. Overturned tables. Empty boxes. Torn papers scattered everywhere.

 

“These s. They knew we were coming and tried to erase the evidence.”

 

Siyeon ticks her tongue, annoyed that they were a second too late. Minji follows the Lee behind and notices a small, dusted photograph on the floor. She picks it up and scrunches her eyebrows, finding the person looking familiar.

 

“Hey, do you know this person?” Minji asks as she hands the photo to Siyeon.

 

The Lee pauses. “No way.” She blinks and looks at Minji in complete shock.

 

“Why? What’s wrong?”

 

“There’s no way he’s alive. If he really is…it would make so much sense.” Siyeon panics as she starts to rush out of the building.

 

“Wait. Siyeon, calm down. Who are you talking about?!”

 

“Jung Joon Young! This person was behind the murder of my uncle, Lee Byung Hun.” Siyeon hurries as she heads for the car, signaling Siwon to get inside as well.

 

But Minji notices something flickering in the distance. A sniper hiding from afar.

 

Everything happened so quickly. It was her first instinct. Not to save herself. But to protect Siyeon.

 

“Watch out!” Minji shouts as she pulls Siyeon away.

 

Bang!

 

 

---

 

 

Mr. Lee groaned in pain as he was smacked in the head again. Mr. Kim gasped for air, struggling to survive. Gahyeon remained “unconscious” and continued to pretend, even though she wanted to cry, hearing the sounds of torture.

 

“You’re a really ing stubborn one. Testing my damn patience!” Joon Young growled.Mr. Lee smirked in response, showing not a single shred of fear and simply spat his own blood into the man’s face. “Screw you.”

 

And that was the final straw.

 

Enraged, Joon Young kicked his foot into Mr. Lee’s gut. He continued to batter him, one punch after another until he out. With a frustrated shout, Joon Young pointed at Mr. Kim.   

 

“You should be lucky that my boss said not to kill you. He wants you alive, because apparently having the two most powerful people in Seoul are very handy to have. Otherwise, I would’ve killed you both long ago.”

 

“You will get nothing out of this, young man.” Mr. Kim struggles to speak, breathless. “Just give up. Let us go. No one has to suffer anymore.”

 

“Enough with your bull. I’m going to bring all of you here. Every one of your little precious ones.” Joon Young cackles. “You think I don’t know? Kim Minji. Kim Bora. Kim Yoohyeon. Your three darlings.”

 

The man grins as he sees the panic on Mr. Kim’s face. “There it is. Love it.” Joon Young throws a punch. “I can’t wait for my men to bring them over here so we can all have a wonderful party.”

 

“You will regret this.” Mr. Kim groans as he looks at Gahyeon, worried for what’s to come.