The Outskirts: Jinsoul, the lost woman

「 Town Valley 」
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The Outskirts: Jinsoul, the lost woman

 

Well, as predicted before, working with the sheriff had been drastically worse than what the naive newcomer had in mind.

 

In her first day, after the tiring work at Nana Lynn's, Heejin was given the task of returning a missing pig you to his owner, ㅡa farmer in the outskirtsㅡ which she thought it wouldn't be that hard but: The pig was way faster than what she pictured it to be, and Hooligan was not cooperative at all, ㅡshe almost fell from the hoarse thrice and it didn't quite obey her eitherㅡ.

 

When she had managed to finish her task, it was past noon and even if her stomach grumbled, Kim Lip just spared her a piece of bread because, in the sheriff's words, "The law never rests", therefore, no time for a proper lunch. She then had to help fix a water mill which she had no idea how to and very carelessly ended up messing it up further worse, until her all mighty boss came back, harshly scolded her, and taught her what she was supposed to do.

 

By night, Heejin had wanted to skip dinner because she felt so exhausted that she might as well just pass out. Kim Lip didn't allow it tho and forced her to eat, arguing she would have no strengths next morning; the latter seemed barely tired-out, how did she cope with it?

 

The days after were no different, maybe worst. She found out that Hooligan was actually a savage horse that Nana Lynn had captured somehow, which made complete sense, ㅡand the sheriff had casually forgotten to mention that factㅡ. Therefore, she had to start training her, ㅡanother thing to add to her daily workㅡ, besides, having to feed her, brush her hair, and what she feared the most, washing her, ㅡshe had had to dogged several kicks and attempts of biting whenever she did soㅡ.

 

She was always busy, and soon enough, her pristine dresses were replaced by old dusty leather booths, those not-good-looking linen pants, and button-up shirts. Soon enough, she had met dozens of people in town while helping them; some weirdos, some sane. Soon enough, she knew how to ride horses, how mills functioned, to always try to avoid Town Valley's beloved elder,ㅡjust in caseㅡ,to collect fresh eggs, good firewood and... Cow manure, ㅡdon't even ask about itㅡ, and do many other things. Soon enough, nineteen moons have passed since her arrival.

 

On the twentieth, Heejin woke up in the middle night hearing a not-so-quiet mumbling coming from the kitchen. She rubbed her eyes while sitting up and straining her ears in attempt to listen at the slight turmoil. She then realized they weren't just the voices of the house owners but also a shaking weak one that she could barely hear faintly.

 

"Dammit!" Heejin herself flinched at the sound of Kim Lip hitting the table. "Why didn't you come before?"

 

"Lippie..." She heard the warn in Haseul's soft voice. It never failed to soothe the sheriff.

 

"S-Sorry, I... I just expected her to come back. She always does. Well, most of the times b-but-" The unknown person choked in a sob.

 

"Shh, it's okay, sweetheart." Haseul tenderly tried to calm the now openly crying girl. "She's surely fine."

 

"Choerry," The sheriff, who had been quiet for a few minutes, spoke sternly but with confidence lingering in her voice. "I'll find her" She reassured the sniffling stranger.

 

"Wh-what? No, it's late. You can't go out there, it's dangerous." Haseul muttered the last sentence quietly. Heejin figured her hesitation was because of that girl's presence.

 

"Exactly."

 

For a couple long seconds, nothing but silence could be heard. Even Heejin felt uncomfortable and she wasn't in the room.

 

"Y-you don't have to. Haseul it's right, I don't also want to put you in danger, sister..." Sister? Heejin was left dumbfounded. How come she had never heard about this presumed sister? Well, it wasn't like Kim Lip was the most talkative person, ㅡshe barely spared a few words to Heejin daily, although it had gotten considerably better with timeㅡ.

 

The sheriff scoffed could even be heard through the wooden door in Heejin's bedroom. "Are you forgetting who you're talking to? I can handle it. I'll bring her back home, alright?"

 

Heejin didn't know why she did it, but she just couldn't help it, ㅡshe had a strange feeling in her gutsㅡ, but she quickly stood up on her feet and burst the door open. All eyes were on her even the ones of who she assumed to be the 'unknown relative'. She was young, Heejin could tell, but what was more fascinating was that her hair was a bright shade of purple.

 

She shook her head and spoke before the others could say a thing, "I'll go along with you. Give me two minutes." She didn't give the sheriff a chance to complain as she closed the door again and changed into more proper clothing than her night gown.

 

And as announced, two minutes later she was back in the kitchen. She then realized, she had been awfully rude. She turned to the now more put-together girl and flashed her a friendly grin. "Hello. I'm Heejin-"

 

The purple haired jump up from her chair and gave Heejin a quick hug. It wasn't like Chuu's, ㅡ bone-breakingㅡ, but warm and she was left a bit awestruck when the girl backed off and there was an eye-to-eye smile. "You're the one that's been helping my sister out! She came to visit the other time and told us about you. She hadn't done it since months ago..." It was amazing how quickly her expressions could change. The girl pouted at a sighing Kim Lip. "Thank you!" Heejin didn't really understand why was she being thank for but she just hummed, making a mental note to maybe ask later. "I'm Choerry, th-"

 

"The town's brightest sunshine" Kim Lip finished for her, way more unexcited and impatient than the purple haired who shot her a pointed look. "What? We have to hurry and you tend to rumble child"

 

The sheriff did not utter another word to her sister and instead placed her gaze on the deputy. "Go get the hoarses." Heejin nodded without hesitation and exited the house.

 

She went to the back where the stable was, took the pair of stables hanging from the wall and placed them on both horses, then she hurried to adjust the reins before pulling on them leading the animals to the front.

 

She spotted the sheriff already at the front door along Haseul who was holding her hand. She couldn't help but to eavesdrop.

 

"Swear you'll be back safe and sound"

 

"Seul..."

 

"I'm being serious. Swear it, Kim Lip"

 

"I swear." Heejin widened her eyes when she saw Haseul pulling on Lip's hand and smashing their mouths together in a rough kiss. She blushed and instantly looked away from the couple who usually weren't exactly the kind that displayed much explicit affection. Maybe it was because Heejin was always around, she felt a bit guilty, was she interfering with their relationship?

 

"Why are you standing there? C'mon." Heejin was pushed out of her thoughts as the sheriff approached her. The latter got on her hoarse flawlessly like she had been doing it for her whole life. Probably she had.

 

Heejin followed her example and climbed onto Hooligan's back. She trailed along Kim Lip by her side as they rode away.

 

"Who exactly are we looking for? If you don't mind me asking" Heejin had been wanting to know for quite a while. Who was responsible for all this worry and disturbance?

 

"Jinsoul. Choerry's sister." Kim Lip visibly tightened her grip on the reins as she huffed in annoyance, anger, worry? Heejin couldn't tell. "She has the tendency of acting recklessly without giving anything a second-thought. Hence, she constantly puts herself at risk."

 

Heejin didn't answer, it was the first time she saw actual concern in brunette. This Jinsoul woman must be really important to her. As if on cue, the sheriff spoke again, "She and Choerry are like my little sisters, even tho, Jinsoul is technically the oldest out of us tree. Before Haseul and I got married, I used to live w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter