- 13

Good Things Take Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

For ten years Eunbin had known Baekhyun, she learned a lot about the boy.

Baekhyun was dorky, understanding, and sweet; he could be a little coward, but he was also brave at some things too. Baekhyun was a caring person; he took great care of her since she was young. He was a little annoying, and sometimes a bit impatient. Eunbin could name several of his good points and bad points.

But the one thing she had never thought that Baekhyun could be a liar too.

What did he say again?

“I would never break up with you.”

“I told you I’ll never let you go.”

Lies.

 

When her parents finally came home from their works on the day she was dumped, they were shocked to find her lying on the floor with swollen eyes, red nose, and empty gaze. After what it felt like a hundred years, Eunbin broke apart her lips and told them, “Baekhyun and I—we broke up.”

Saying the words feel like another stab in the heart and Eunbin could feel tears were coming back up again that she couldn’t help close her eyes, her chapped lips trembling. Her father coaxed his daughter to lie on the bed then because the floor was too cold, afraid that she would catch a cold.

Her father cleared his throat and said, “I’m sorry you and Baekhyun don’t work out.”

“What happened?” her mother had asked but her father put his hand on her shoulder and gave a warning squeeze. They exchanged looks before she added, “You don’t have to tell us now.”

“We’ll let you rest now.” Her father stepped in and her cheek with the back of his fingers. He let out a deep sigh, “People come and go, Eunbin. Don’t be too devastated.”

After that, they left her alone to her curling herself under her blanket.

On the next day, Eunbin woke up to the time almost reached noon. Her stomach growled loudly and was killing her. But she ignored the care that she needed. She reached out for her phone, silently hoping for a particular name appeared on her screen but only to be disappointed. Surprisingly, she received a text from Irene, but Eunbin didn’t bother to read and directly deleted it.

Not wanting to spend the day alone, she dialed Wonyoung’s number.

“Hellooo?” her friend said.

“Hey,” she replied, “Can you and Hyewon come? I need friends.”

“Eunbin-ah, are you having a cold? You don’t sound so good.”

“Can you guys just come? I’ll tell you later.”

“Okay, okay. I’m almost finish with my lunch.”

Eunbin hummed and their call ended.

Thirty minutes later, she received a text from the girls that they were downstairs and heard the bell to her house ring. With great effort, she dragged herself to her front door with her blanket around her. The girls stared at her in surprised when they saw her.

“What happened to you?” Hyewon gasped.

“Come in,” Eunbin said.

She left the door opened, making her way to the couch. She heard her front door was being closed and not long later, Hyewon and Wonyoung each sat next to her sides.

“Damn. You look like someone just dumps you,” Hyewon teased.

The girls giggled but Eunbin simply turned her head to her friend and blankly stared at her. When Hyewon caught on, she went silent then she gasped louder.

“It can’t be?!”

“Eunbin-ah, did Baekhyun…” Wonyoung didn’t dare to finish the rest of her sentence.

Eunbin lowered her face to her palm and before she knew it, she started to sob. The girls let her be and occasionally offered pats at her back.

Ten minutes later, Hyewon shook her by the shoulder, “Come on. Enough with the crying. Tell us what happened.”

Eunbin choked down her tears and lifted up her head, falling back against the sofa. Her speech was constantly stuttering because her lips couldn’t stop trembling. And sometimes it was just too much that she had to take five minutes break to let her tears run down as they liked. When she was finished, she was exhausted. Didn’t she just took more than 12 hours sleep?

“But I gotta say, I think you’re being too excessive too, yeah?”

Wonyoung nodded, “You’re being way overprotective.”

Her friends’ comments made herself curl into a ball and she just wanted to be swallowed by the earth. Yes, she knew she was wrong. She could see that. But she didn’t need her friends to point it out.

“But, you know, sooner or later, you two will break up,” Wonyoung shrugged and looked down at the person who was more like a ball of cotton. “You two have just speeded it up.”

“I think this better too. Cheer up. You can just find another boy.”

Eunbin suddenly had second thought that maybe inviting her friends over wasn’t a good idea as she had thought. She wanted them to comfort her or maybe even got a hug, but the two hadn’t done anything but made her feel more like . Didn’t they know how much she liked the boy who lived across her? Why did they regard him as some other boy who could be just easily replaced by another one?

She let out an exasperated sigh and croaked, “You girls aren’t helping at all.”

Wonyoung then burst into a nervous giggle. She said, “Let’s watch Netflix to make you feel better.”

“Whatever,” Eunbin mumbled.

 

Before she knew it, second semester had started. Eunbin almost couldn’t go to school because when she opened the door, she wasn’t met with the usual grin she would find behind the front door. And she would never met with one anymore.

Her life in the next days was pretty uneventful, if you would say one. She had never thought how bland it was without Baekhyun. And since day one of school started, she didn’t want to go to cafeteria. She had her mother pack lunch for her already and she would eat it in her class

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter