Chapter 2

Lub Dub: The beating heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Woah. What a huge buildings.

 

Taeyeon has been standing outside for about 10 minutes. He keeps admiring the magnificent buildings in front of him. There’s a huge sign on the top of it written as ‘SONE HOSPITAL.’ Large amount of people keep going in and out of main door which is a big difference compared to his old workplace where in a day, he will only received less than 50 patients. He strolls around, searching for the spot to take a fresh air later while making himself familiar with the surrounding. It’s his habit to stay outside after a long hours of working, or after his patient died. The green scenery with a gentle wind blowing are keeping his mind calm. He hums to the chirping birds when he sees a bench resting under a bucida tree at the corner of the park. While he takes more step towards the bench, he sees a glimpse of two woman besides, giggling and walking towards the same direction. 

 

“Yaa! That’s mean. You’re a specialist. They can’t do that.”

“Yeah. A 3-years-old specialist. I’m the youngest Fany, of course I am expected to do that.”

“But you already being on-call on last year’s Christmas. And also last two years!”

 

Tiffany finds it’s not fair for her friend to work on Christmas night for 3 years streak. She really didn’t like the idea of seniority that take place in the hospital. Since you’re junior, you’re expected to work on holiday, you have to cover your senior if they suddenly took a leave, you will be the doctor on-call on weekends and many more to be listed. They are just one year apart, she is in her fourth year as a specialist (still considered as newbie). She remembered that her chief didn’t as bad as Yoona’s during her fresh year.

 

“Well. At least you’re on-call too on this year’s Christmas. Hehehe.” Tiffany rolls her eyes. 

 

Taeyeon listens to the girls chatting, sometimes laughing and cracking out. He didn’t realises how long has he been standing there, which is not too far away from the girls. Which means, his eyes have been on Tiffany for a long time. The greyish-blue shirt complement with her brown jeans. The brunette, shoulder-length wavy hair radiates her beauty face. Not to mention when her eyes form a crescent-moon shape when she laughed. Last time he saw someone as pretty as her was 7 years ago. The smile from his face suddenly disappear as he meet Tiffany’s eyes and feels something in her chest.

 

Lub dub

 

He quickly diverts his eyes and walks away as fast as possible.

 

“Something wrong?” Yoona asks out of curiosity. She notices her friend keeps staring at someone’s back walking towards the hospital. 

“Oh I just... I thought someone has been watching me... Maybe it just my feelings.”

“Hahaha. No one in this hospital didn’t stare at you Fany, no one.”

“I know right. Let’s go, Yoon. It’s quarter to nine. Can’t let our patients wait for too long.”

 

Taeyeon’s heart slowly returns to its normal pace after leaving the park in rush. He walks into the hospital, searching for the administration. 

 

“Hello. How can I help you?”

“I’m looking for Professor Song of orthopaedic department.”

“Have you booked an appointment?”

“No, but I’m supposed to start my residency training today.”

 

He feels that suddenly all eyes are on him. Did he says something inappropriate? He then hears whispering sounds, but guess it’s not anymore since he can hear them clearly. 

 

“Is he the new resident?”

“The one Professor Song talked about?”

“Ah. Harvard chingu!”

“He’s sooo cute.”

“Did he dyed his hair? I think I never saw man with auburn hair before.”

 

Seeing things getting out of control, he clears his throat. Everybody stops chatting though he still hears distinctive murmured sounds. The clerk asks him to be seated while she make a call to inform Professor Song. He didn’t sit down, instead he leans on the wall beside the counter. He is in polyclinic area, which means the chairs are for the patients. He hears a loud voice cheering for the patient’s recovery when a door slightly opened as the patient just came out from the polyclinic. He looks at the name plate hung on the door.

 

ORTHOPAEDIC SURGEON

Dr. Stephanie Hwang

 

Ah. So she’s an orthopaedic surgeon. Guessed I’ll work with her a lot. 

 

He manages to observe a little bit about her through the small opening door when the patient come in and out. He can hear she’s greeting her patients cheerfully, and always end up with praying for the patients recovery. He thought

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter