Chapter 11

Lub Dub: The beating heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It’s past 2 a.m. and Tiffany can’t close her eyes. She sits by the bed, hoping her lover to open his eyes. She feels guilty as she is too late to notice Taeyeon getting sick in the car. How dare of her admitting to be his girlfriend when she now nothing about him? She could only blame herself as she remembered back the situation when she arrived the emergency room.

 

A man in grey scrubs walked alongside the stretcher. An embroidered name, written as doctor located on his top left chest. There was another 2 male in sky blue scrubs pushing the stretcher. Tiffany was all ears following them from behind.

 

“Status?” The doctor on-call asked one of them.

“Male patient in 30s suddenly collapsed in a car. 15 minutes before he was eating with friends.”

“Vitals?”

“All normal. BP 110/78, HR 88, RR 22, SpO2 99%.”

 

In every cases, whether it’s emergency or non-emergency the first thing to check are vital signs. Fellow physicians used a short form to make it quick. BP stands for blood pressure, it’s considered as elevated if it’s over than 120/80. HR means heart rate, normal heart rate is between 60-100 per minutes. RR is for respiratory rate, a normal adult breathe around 12-24 times per minute. SpO2 is oxygen saturation, patient will be receiving oxygen therapy if it falls under 96%.

 

They stopped and transferred Taeyeon on an empty bed in the green zone. Judging from the physical examination results, his case was not urgent enough to be put in yellow or red zone. Tiffany acknowledged that. She’s not anxious as she had made sure Taeyeon’s in a good state while waiting for an ambulance. She was professional enough to let the emergency team do their job. She sat beside the bed while answering to the doctor’s questions.

 

“Your relationship with patient?”

“I’m his girlfriend.”

“What are you doing before he fell into this state?”

“We were eating with other colleagues.”

“Have any of you experienced the same thing?”

“No.”

“Did you see how he fainted?”

“He clenched his left chest, dyspnea, both his hands tremor and sweats coming from his forehead. No seizure.”

 

The doctor noticed her using few of medical terms. Dyspnea is a condition where a person experiencing shortness of breath. Tremor is a movement disorder, an involuntary rhythmic muscle contraction which leads to shaking movements in one or more parts of body. In Taeyeon case, it was his hands that was shaky.

 

“Any history of heart diseases?”

“No.....” She paused.

 

“I mean, I don’t know.”

“Has he ever been in surgery before?”

“I don’t know.”

“Or has history of head trauma?”

“I don’t know.” She started to look at the floor.

“Has he ever experienced the same symptoms before?”

“I don’t know.” 

“Is he on medications right now?”

“I... Don’t know...” Her voices was getting smaller.

 

The doctor seems irritated by her answers. It’s no use to continue the history taking if the witness didn’t know the patient past medical history. He would want to excuse himself before Tiffany stopped him.

 

“But.. I think he’s having a panic attack.”

“How you can be sure about that when you don’t even know the patient past history?” 

“He never rides car before. And I heard him mumbling someone’s name before he passed out.”

 

Seconds later a male nurse came and whispered something to the doctor. The doctor was in shock.

 

“Are you Dr. Stephanie Hwang of SONE Hospital?”

“Em.... Yes?” 

“You are The Great Tiffany??”

“Em.... I think... So?” It was embarrassing for her to admit it herself.

“You have boyfriend?!!!” The doctor sounds surprised.

“Huh?” 

“Oh... I’m sorry it’s out of topic. I’ll refer the patient to psychiatric department.” The doctor scratched his head.

“Al-right. Thank you.” She forced a smile. 

 

Taeyeon then admitted and transferred to ward as there was no on-called psychiatric that night. She declined the offer made to transfer him to the hospital where she works. It was better for them to stay here for the sake of their privacy.

 

She can’t do anything else but to stare at his face. She holds his hand tight. 

 

“Taeyeon-ah, what’s wrong with you? Are you hurt somewhere?”

 

She sinks her head and raise it back as she heard Taeyeon’s muttering something.

 

“Su...nny...ah.”

 

This is her second time hearing that name. The first time was before he faint in the car. Curiosity erupted in her mind. Who is Sunny? Is it a girl? His past lover? Is something happening between them for him to act like this? Lot of things on her mind before she gets drowsy and slowly leaving away all of them as she puts her head on the bed.

 

She feels something soft caressing her cheek. It is gentle and warm touch. She opens her eyes to find Taeyeon smiling at her. She put her hand on top of his hand that cupped her cheek. She returns the smile, a smile that he always crave for.

 

Lub dub

 

“Why you sleep here like that? Isn’t it uncomfortable?”

 

She lifts and shakes her head. Her hand still holding him. She wants to ask him a lot of questions but suppressed it, looking at his condition. 

 

“You should come here and sleep with me.” He pats the space beside him.

“Are you crazy?” 

“If I am then you don’t wanna?” He laughed.

 

He only intends to joke around but his laughter fades away at seeing Tiffany’s straight face. 

 

“Hey... You okay?” 

“You asking me if I’m okay? Tell me.. How can I sleep soundly when I see you collapsed in front of my eyes?!! And you have the audacity to joke around like that?!!! Seriously Kim Taeyeon?!!!!” She throws away his hand and getting up from her seat. 

“Hey... I’m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter