Chapter 10

Lub Dub: The beating heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“What muscle is this?”

“Seriously?”

“What?”

“Do you think I’m a med student? Of course I know what muscle is that.”

 

Tiffany hears some nurses laughing at Taeyeon argue. 

 

“I’m YOUR SUPERVISOR. You dare to talk back to me like that?”

“Ahhh. I’m sorry Dr. Stephanie Hwang. This is flexor carpi ulnaris, located in the anterior compartment. It’s one of the flexors muscle which are responsible for wrist flexion. Is that a good answer? Or do I need to add origin and insertion? Or the nerves tha—“

“Ok enough talking you little arrogant resident.”

 

More laughter echoing the entire operation theatre. Although Taeyeon can’t see her face through the mask, he knows that Tiffany’s smiling too as he saw her half-closed eyes. He continues operating until a nurse come in saying that Professor Song is looking for him. He has few weeks left before completing his residency, therefore these days he were busy with examination. Tiffany holds her fist as a good luck sign and he responds it with a wink.

 

“I didn’t know that Dr. Kim is actually full of mischief.” 

 

Said by male assistant who replaced Taeyeon’s seat in front of her. Then she hears another nurse, an anaesthetist joined in. 

 

“Right? Since when Dr. Kim become this playful? Not to mention Dr. Kim also talk a lot lately. When he first time here, we thought he can’t understand Korean well. You know since he had been studying in America, who knows he already forget Korean language.”

 

Tiffany chuckles. She too agreed with him. It was hard to hear Taeyeon voice than it is now where he can joke around freely and even talk back. Back then he only responded to questions, never talk if it’s unrelated to work and excused himself if invited to team dinner. Tiffany thought that maybe he felt intimidated and as his supervisor, she felt responsible for him. She only planned to become closer to him so that he didn’t feel timid anymore and finally open his mouth. But somehow she fell in love with him after spending a lot of time together.

 

”I remembered you feels guilty, even though it’s not your fault, because you thought you’re not giving enough for Dr. Kim to act that way. Hard works pay off, right Dr. Steph?”

“Yeah. Hard works pay off.” Only she knows the hidden meaning behind those words.

 

 

Taeyeon sits on the bed with his legs tapping the floor. Today is his last exam and soon he will be evaluated by all other orthopaedic surgeon, not only Professor Song. Even though he sure he never make any fatal mistakes, but still the anxious feelings of he might not pass his residency year is haunting him. He hears the beep sound from his watch means the start of new hour. His fate will be decided 15 minutes from now, whether after this he will hold the surgeon title or he needs to repeat another year to complete the title.  

 

Tiffany deliberately comes early to the meeting room. She wants to spend some time alone with Taeyeon before the evaluation starts. She finds out that he tried to maintain his cool side in front of her, though before entering the room she takes a tiny peek at him going back and forth aimlessly in the room. She takes a sit beside him.

 

Aww he’s soo cute!

 

“Are you nervous?”

“Me? Of course not.”

“You are!”

“I’m not!”

“Tee-hee. I saw you tapping your fingers on the desk.”

 

He automatically put his hands down at Tiffany giggle. He then feels her hand on top of his. He looks at her lovely face giving him a warm smile.

 

Lub dub

 

“You’ll be fine, okay?”

“Em.. Okay...”

 

They only let go of each other hands when another surgeons enter the room. He stands up and bowed them respectfully before presenting his report during his 4 years as a resident. Now that he finishes, it’s time for questions and answers session. Professor Song starts the questions. He expects something medical related but it’s not which make him nervous more.

 

“Forget about work. I know you’ve done a well job. So my question is, why did you pursue in specialist training?”

“I... I want a career growth.”

“Then why orthopaedic?”

 

He goes blank. He remembered the reason why he want to be an orthopaedic surgeon was because of Sunny. One day while they were studying, Sunny randomly said to him that every orthopaedic doctors in their university looked cool. When he asked between orthopaedic doctors and him which one the coolest, she choose orthopaedic doctors which made him jealous and promised her that one day he will become an orthopaedic. Even when Sunny passed away, he didn’t want to break the promise. A man shouldn’t break his promise. It’s impossible for him to tell them about it, let alone Tiffany is there too. But he didn’t pass the test yet, he needs to answer it by hook or by crook.

 

“Once... I promised someone that I will become an orthopaedic.”

 

The whole room fall silent and suddenly the other 3 doctors look at Tiffany. She frowns in confusion.

 

“Well well. I’m surprised the-critical-thinking Steph didn’t attack him. Or maybe you’re his supervisor, that’s why you become all soft on him? Minseok, usually what kind of questions will Steph asks? Professor Song pointed Minseok.

 

Minseok straighten his body, posing his left hand on the chin while spinning a pen around his r

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter