Chapter 1

Lub Dub: The beating heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Code blue! Code blue! Ward 3, code blue!"

The short announcement is enough to put the whole department in chaos. Taeyeon, the doctor on-call rushes to the ward. At time like this, he is grateful of his short body since it make him run a little bit fast. 

“Arrest!” A nurse shouted. 

Hearing the word, he quickly put his hands on the patient’s chest. He compresses it as possible as he can. 


Oh God. Please, help me.

 

Cardiac arrest. A condition when human’s heart suddenly stop beating. The heart supplies blood to all part of body including the brain. The brain will be damaged within 5 minutes, if the blood didn’t reached there.

Taeyeon tries the best as he can. Giving that he works in a small hospital in a rural area, the facilities are limited, including the defibrillator machine, the one that delivers a dose of electric current to the heart. But, doctors are not God. They can try their best but God is the best planner.

 

“Time of death— ”

 

Taeyeon couldn’t finished his words when a woman storms and mourns crazily by the patient’s side, probably his wife. He leaves the ward as his watery eyes nearly sheds into tears. He once at the patient’s wife place. He remembered the pain, crying his heart out loud until the guards had no choice but to kick him out as it disturbed the entire ward. It was 7 years ago and he still remembers it clearly. 

 

“Don’t blame yourself, Taeyeon-ah.”

 

Taeyeon’s startled by the voice. He is sitting on the bench in front of the hospital. Taking some fresh air after witnessing a death. He chuckles.

 

“I’m not.”

“Pity her wife, right? She’s so young.”

“Yeah. I hope she’ll be fine.”

“Oh by the way, I heard that you got accepted to orthopaedic residency program at Sone Hospital? Congrats! Finally, your dream come true.”

“Thanks. Haha but it’s a long way to go.”

“So, when are you leaving?”

“Next month.”

“What????? Ah damn I need to spend another month with you.”

“Honestly you called me your best friend, Sica? Pftt.”

 

Taey

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter