Part 3

Bloodstone [Series]

You checked three times that you were no longer dreaming. Still, the purple-haired man stood before you each time. Peering more closely at his unique outfit, you became further convinced of Yoongi’s story-telling earlier.

He looked at you with equal parts of curiosity and caution. It was during this moment of examination that you noticed his first couple of buttons to his shirt were undone and glowing light emanated from within his chest.

This wasn’t boding well.

“Just who are you?”

“Are you the host? Are you the one who captured me with this bloodstone?”

“You… you know of the stone?” you questioned, taking a sudden step forward. The strange man moved back, knocking into a stack of books clumsily.

Looking between you and the mess he had just created, the man sighed. “I’m sorry, let me clean-”

“It’s okay; we’ll get to that after. The bloodstone, have you seen it?”

“So you did release it then,” he murmured in response and you let out an indignant scoff.

“Release it? I wore that ring for fifteen years and it chose to leave on its own. If I had it my way, now knowing what kind of ring it is, I wouldn’t have accepted it from my grandmother as a child.”

“You wore it that long?! But it’s dangerous!” He was wildly looking you over then and you grimaced, reaching to smooth down your bed hair.

His actions prompted you to take in a steadying breath before smiling weakly. “My name is Y/N and you are?”

“Namjoon,” he answered, looking at the hand you had outstretched towards him in thought. He then held out his own arm towards you but not taking the chance to shake it.

You frowned. “You’re not from here, are you?”

“I’m not human, no.”

“Wait, I was expecting a different country or something, but did you just tell me you’re not human? Are-- are you an alien then?”

“What’s that?”

Your eyes nearly popped out of your head and you clasped your forehead within your hand as you dashed to sit down at your desk. “Purple hair, strange clothes and says he’s not human. Where’s Yoongi when I need him?”

“Yoongi?” he repeated and then casually scanned your room. “You have a vast library of fantastic titles.”

“I do? Most of these books are from my grandmother and are in a different lang-”

You stopped then, realising the great difference between you and Namjoon. You had been speaking now for the last few minutes with relative ease, but it didn’t feel as if his words were spoken in the same language as your own. It was as if he spoke in his own native tongue and your brain was translating it on the spot.

What was going on?

“I need a coffee,” you announced, getting up from the chair shakily and heading towards the kitchen. Namjoon scampered along behind you, letting out a delighted sound when you flicked on the light switch. You chose to continue looking forward instead of back at the puzzle he presented and moved into the kitchen to grab a mug from the overhead cabinet.

Namjoon came closer, leaning around you to watch your actions. It unnerved you but not in a negative way. You held up your mug. “Do you know what this is?”

“Of course I do, you drink from it. I may not be human but I do come from civilised lands.”

“Okay then, do you want a drink too?”

“Of your brew you’re making in that strange bowl?”

Looking at the coffee machine you had , you moved across the kitchen and reached for your tea collection. You weren’t so sure coffee would be a wise idea for someone who didn’t know what it was. Making the hot drinks, you then moved to the small round table in your living space, placing one across the table and gesturing for Namjoon to take a seat. He sat down distractedly, staring at his surroundings in awe.

Once you had a decent mouthful of coffee, you rapped your knuckles on the tabletop to gain his attention. “So, what are you then?”

“I guess, as the book called, a divinity.”

“So a God?”

Namjoon laughed. “Oh no, I’m not from above.”

“Then?”

Maybe I am from a different country. Far away. Where no humans exist.”

“That makes no sense but I’ll humour you at four in the morning. How old are you?”

“With the last solstice, I am now two hundred and thirteen years old.”

You merely blinked at his answer and then looked down at your coffee cup in suspicion. When you realised he wasn’t smiling and had answered with ease, you let out a hollow laugh. “Right, over two hundred years. Because that’s plausible.”

“The elder of my village is nearly a thousand years. He has endured a long existence.”

“He sure has.” You felt faint, clasping your head in your hands and drank more of your coffee in hopes it would ground you from his nonsensical answers.

Maybe you had been fooled. After all, Namjoon could have broken into your house as you slept and was now playing along with you. You were tired and had an over-reactive mind after your ordeal yesterday.

You nodded softly, trying to convince your frazzled thoughts of this fact. You would just ring for the police and they would take this strange intruder away from you and it would all just end there.

Except you knew the glow from his chest meant something more to you. In fact, it was that red glow that made you feel at ease.

As if you were around something you were familiar with.

“The bloodstone,” you started as you blinked rapidly, looking at Namjoon again. “Did you see it?”

“See it,” he repeated, finally holding his gaze upon you for more than a second’s glance. His lips pressed together in a firm line before he expelled a heavy breath. “Surely you can see it right now as well?”

“It’s in your chest?”

“I believe so.”

“How did it get there?” you wondered and Namjoon tensed, letting out an awkward laugh.

The sound eased you some.

“By a series of unfortunate events.”

“You’re not hurt from it, are you?” you suddenly asked, reaching over towards his exposed chest and touching the stone.

The impact was immediate. Flashes of Namjoon’s life flooded your mind. You saw him as a child with a young girl and an overbearing father figure hovered nearby in every scene. You watched as his father passed away, and many moments of Namjoon inspecting gemstones. And then you were brought to his final moments in his studio, feeling the heady desire the stone had cast over him.

It was enough for you to pull back then, knowing you had seen and felt too much.

Namjoon was staring back at you with round eyes, unmoving even though you had recoiled back into your seat. He eventually blinked out of his stupor. “You lost your mother recently.”

“And your father has also left you,” you lamented, both nodding in answer.

“The stone is back but I didn’t expect it to come attached to someone in quite a literal way.”

“I guess I will have to impose on your kindness for some time now,” Namjoon mentioned softly and you nodded once.

There was too much moving around in your mind.


 

The sun had risen in the sky and he watched it for the first time through a windowpane. Unlike back in his land where all homes were on the ground, your residence seemed suspended halfway to the heavens itself. Whilst he had no understanding of how or why, watching the sun send its rays over all it touched from this height was spectacular.

You, however, seemed uncaring of such natural beauty, still pacing your living space and chewing on a nail in the process.

A bell chimed around the room and you dashed off then, leaving Namjoon staring after you.

He decided that whilst you were strange, you had a kind disposition so far and he didn’t feel out of place here with you. Well, everything new to him made him curious, but you as a person did not frighten him as much as he thought you would. So often he was told humans were impractical and flighty.

Once you had your special brew within you, it seemed you had settled some.

However, when you returned with another human in tow, you seemed frantic. “Do you see?!”

The man at your side’s mouth fell ajar ever so slightly and then he said something that Namjoon couldn’t understand. Turning to face them both fully, Namjoon watched their interaction intently.

“I know, Yoongi! But he says he’s not human.”

“Because I’m not,” Namjoon interjected, and Yoongi, so he now realised to be from your earlier mentioning, let out a harsh sound that he could only fathom as a sinful word.

Namjoon stepped forward to your side protectively. “I do not understand what he’s saying but I don’t feel it was very kind. Are we safe?”

“Yoongi is my best friend, relax. He can’t understand you either, it seems.”

Your head hung low at this conclusion, as if you felt more hopeless than before. Sitting on your large, plush chair with a thump, you then darted your attention between Namjoon and your friend.

“We have the main character who wore a magical ring unbeknownst of its power, an entity who isn’t human that now harnesses the power within his chest, and a man who can’t understand what language is being spoken but will most likely be the one to guide the way through this. What is this?”

“The starting of a new tale,” Namjoon announced grimly, touching the stone that had brought him to this strange world.