vi. effort to forgive one's self

One Step, Two Steps
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Take a walk through the garden of forgiveness and pick a flower of forgiveness for everything you have ever done. When you get to that time that is now, make a full and total forgiveness of your entire life and smile at the bouquet in your hands because it is truly beautiful.”

 

Stephen Richards

 

 

“What’s taking him so long off work?”

 

Hyukjae muttered to himself as he continuously stared at that familiar poplar door leading to his boss’ office. It had already been six days since he last saw his demon of a boss and he was starting to get restless, day after day. Don’t get him wrong, okay? He was not worried about the other or something. He just wanted Donghae to finally check his second draft of his romance installment as it turned out that romance novels were not really Zhoumi’s cup of tea.

 

“You look messed up, Hyuk.”

 

Surprised, Hyukjae turned to look at the intruder of his internal predicaments. He shot a look of distress towards Sungmin who was holding what appeared like a bunch of white candles.

 

“Stop giving me a fright like that, Min. And what are those you are holding?”

 

Sungmin just laughed at his face before waving his hand full of candles. “Candles, obviously.” The romance novelist rolled his eyes at the artist.

 

“Well, thanks for stating the obvious, Captain Sherlock. I mean, what are those for?”

 

“Oh, I’m going to light them up inside Donghae’s office.”

 

Hyukjae frowned at the older’s statement. Donghae’s office? What for? He wanted to inquire further but something seemed to be stopping him from really asking. Instead, he just watched as Sungmin strolled past through him still with the weird candles on his hands.

 

Many questions invaded his mind simultaneously but nothing sounded plausible as to why Sungmin would do that.

 

Was Sungmin going to set Donghae’s office on fire because he realized that their boss is really a demonic creature?

 

Did Donghae actually die during his sick leave so Sungmin, being a good friend, has to honor his death?

 

Did Donghae order him to kill everyone in the office by burning the whole building down?

 

See what he meant? Everything sounded unreasonable and downright absurd. From where he was standing and thanks to the slightly ajar door, he could see the back of the graphic artist who was lighting the candles one by one on top of Donghae’s mini side table.

 

Or maybe those were scented candles and Hyukjae was just looking deeply into nothing?

 

There were so many questions circulating around Hyukjae’s mind but knowing Sungmin, those questions might just as well be buried at the back of his brain. If someone would really dissect his brain right at that moment, especially the back part, they would find out how his boss occupied a huge portion of it.

 

What are you doing to me, boss? And when the will you come back?

 

 

“LEE SUNGMIN! WAKE THE HELL UP, YOU LAZY !”

 

Donghae was shouting frustratingly for two minutes now because his best friend just would not get up. How he managed to barge in to the other’s apartment was his secret to keep and not tell Sungmin. He continuously hit his friend with the pillow and he smiled triumphantly when Sungmin groaned.

 

“I’m up, you annoying brat. I’m up. What are you doing here so early and why were you jumping on my bed? You know you can’t do that, you pregnant man!” Sungmin shooed Donghae away in an extremely careful manner because he can’t risk hurting his best friend and the little bundle of joy inside his slim tummy.

 

Donghae had already gone beyond his second trimester and was now approaching his last trimester. Because of that, his pregnancy was just becoming riskier and more dangerous. They needed to be extra careful from that point onwards until his due date.

 

Sungmin just ruffled the other’s hair when he pouted and settled beside him with a huff. “Spill it, Hae. I know you didn’t come here just to bug me to wake up.” Sungmin’s statement brought back Donghae’s smile. He suddenly remembered his agenda of going there in the first place.

 

“Minnie, I already came up with the most perfect name for my little star,” he excitedly said, rubbing his baby bump. His smile got even wider when he felt his little star kicked. “Looks like my little star is also excited to finally know his name,” he added and Sungmin cannot help but to smile back. These were the moments with Donghae that Sungmin loved and cherished the most. Seeing the younger so happy was such a big deal to him and Zhoumi, especially due to what Donghae went through for the past few months, years even.

 

“And that most perfect name is?” Sungmin asked full of anticipation and he could not hide the excitement on his face. “Hurry up and tell me, Hae! It’s about time we stop calling him Hae Junior or Little Star.”

 

“Geon. Lee Geon. Simple yet it held so much meaning to me. It means real blessing. My little Geon is in fact, a real blessing to me. It can also mean strength. He will be my source of strength whenever everything’s too much for me. What do you think, Minnie?”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter