xviii. veering away from mainstream romance

One Step, Two Steps
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Once the realization is accepted that even between the closest human beings infinite distance continue, a wonderful living side by side can grow, if they succeed in loving the distance between them which makes it possible for each to see the other whole against the sky.”

 

Rainer Maria Rilke

 

 

“It’s like freaking 40 degrees in here, Hyukjae hyung. Why didn’t you bring at least a parasol or something?”

 

Hyukjae rolled his eyes as he tossed his duffel bag on Henry’s direction. The young mystery novelist, who looked like he was melting because of the blazing sun, groaned for the third time as the blonde’s bag unfortunately hit his left shoulder. That was intentional on Hyukjae’s side by the way.

 

“What did you put in this box, hyung? Bricks and stones?”

 

Hyukjae then turned to their other friend who just arrived on their spot carrying a large ice box. He was starting to regret bringing his two idiotic colleagues slash friends to this place.

 

“Can you two stop whining? It’s already hot enough and I’m starting to have a headache,” he whined, briefly motioning for Kyuhyun to just place the container somewhere near where Henry settled their mat.

 

When he felt like the two already settled and were comfortable enough on their seats, he kneeled in front of little Geon’s tombstone and proceeded to brush those dried leaves and weeds that made their way on the delicate surface. Just like what he had promised his Donghae before the younger had left for New York two days ago, he would not forget to visit his son. And so here he was.

 

He gently wiped away the grubby mud that started to harden near Geon’s name and smiled to himself as he imagined the smile of an adorable little child that resembled Donghae. From his peripheral view, Hyukjae felt both Henry and Kyuhyun’s presence on each side of him.

 

“Lee Geon? Who’s that, hyung? A friend? A cousin?” Henry asked, murmuring Geon’s name over and over again.

 

The blonde turned to look at Kyuhyun who had crouched down beside him with a look full of curiosity and inquiry.

 

“Why were his birthdate and date of death not indicated, Hyuk hyung? That’s weird!” The science fiction novelist pointed out and Henry hummed in agreement. The younger’s question made him smile with bitterness and a bit of remorse.

 

Hyukjae let his eyes wander around the beautifully-carved name of the unfortunate child. “This kid...this kid wasn’t able to really see the world. He died even before his mother had the chance to introduce him. Poor little Geon.”

 

He knew the two were smart—even smarter than him and so he knew they immediately understood what he had meant when he said those words. Silence surfaced on the already silent place as the three just stared ahead. A bask of sorrow and uncertainty were there but they could only imagine how the parents of the child must have had felt. In this case, how Donghae and also Jiyong must have had felt during that unfortunate day.

 

“So, he must be your nephew, hyung? Or a child of a family friend perhaps?” It was Henry who broke the silence and Hyukjae shook his head. He returned to his original position and sat in front of the white marble stone.

 

“How are you, Little Geon? I’m sorry it’s just me today. Your Eomma already left for New York last Thursday, but I promised to him I would come visit you every Saturday and then when he comes back, we’ll visit together. Can you still remember what Uncle Hyukkie had told you last Saturday? I told you I would come and introduce you to some of our friends. I’m sure your Eomma had mentioned them already, but today here with me are your Uncle Henry and Uncle Kyuhyun...” He motioned with his hands for the two to come closer in which they instantly complied.

 

“I don’t understand, hyung. Who is that kid? Why are you talking to him that way? And he knew us? How come?” Henry shoot questions after questions which made him shook his head. A smile was still evident on his face and he could only understand the confusion on his friends’ heads.

 

“Henry, Kyu, this is our Little Geon. He is Donghae’s son.”

 

“Donghae hyung?!” The immediate response of the two and Hyukjae already prepared himself for a loooong story-telling slash question-and-answer. It was actually Donghae’s idea to come clean of his past and also because he no longer wanted to hide Geon from the world. His father already knew the little kid and the old man even visited Geon an hour before his flight back to Paris. That was how welcoming his father is to Donghae.

 

“Sit back and relax, my dear friends. This is going to be a long story to tell...”

 

 

 

“Is it hot in there, little Geonnie—Ouch! Why did you hit me, Cho?”

 

“Why are you asking him such ridiculous questions, you fool? He’s in heaven, idiot. Of course it’s cold in there.”

 

Hyukjae watched with absolute fondness as Henry and Kyuhyun took turns in telling their little star stories. For the last couple of hours, the two just literally bickered and debated in front of Little Geon while munching on the snacks he had packed. He had narrated Donghae’s story to the other two and unsurprisingly, the two had the same reactions as his during his first time hearing about their boss’ ill-fated past.

 

What made Hyukjae laughed hard was when Henry gave Donghae’s son a formal bow before apologizing again and again for being a stubborn brat to Donghae. Kyuhyun also apologized but without exaggeration in which Henry was an expert of.

 

Another half an hour had passed before Hyukjae decided to call it a day. He brushed the rear part of his pants for some stray grasses as the younger two did the same.

 

“Goodbye for now, little one. Your Uncle Kyu and Uncle Henry were so noisy, right? I’m sorry for that. Uncle Hyukkie will try to come back tomorrow, little star. You’re going to be okay, right? Don’t worry, I will video-call your Eomma and tell him h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter