ix. respect to a man's strength

One Step, Two Steps
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“If you want to know where to find your contribution to the world, look at your wounds. When you learn how to heal them, teach others.”

 

Emily Maroutian

 

 

The whole conference ended without much hassle and additional aggravation. Both Hyukjae and Donghae did not have any further encounters with Kwon Jiyong for the last two days which was a relief particularly for Donghae but not much for Hyukjae. He really wanted to make the guy taste the wrath of his iron fist at least for the sake of his boss.

 

After Donghae’s revelations, sudden awkwardness washed through them frequently but they knew that with time, everything would get back to normal. And when they say “normal”, it meant Donghae being a snarky boss and Hyukjae being his number one hater, although the blonde-haired doubted he would still see his boss in that light.

 

Overall, Hyukjae was still thankful for his boss for bringing him along to the convention because he had learned so many things that cannot be taught on books. Knowing and talking to other writers from all over their province, especially the hyperactive Minho and the witty Doojoon, was also a plus. With the exception of their encounter with Kwon Jiyong and the disclosure of Donghae’s painful past, Hyukjae really and truly had a good time.

 

 

It was already past midnight when they arrived back in Seoul and they were tired as hell. Hyukjae turned to look at his equally tired boss who was sleepily dragging his luggage from the car to the entrance of their company. He gave a small bow directed to Mr. Park and he gave a small wave as their driver went on his way home. He looked once again at his sleepy boss and maybe asking the other for a coffee would not be a bad idea.

 

“Hey, boss!” Hyukjae called and the younger looked at him with droopy eyes. He really looked tired and sleepy.

 

“What now?” Donghae murmured, trying to find the keys in his coat.

 

“Let’s go hit the 24 hour coffee shop on the next street,” he suggested and he saw how Donghae’s eyes slightly went wide like it was the most absurd thing he had heard.

 

“Are you ting me? I’m sleepy as hell and I even doubt I could go home at this rate. I’m going to stay in my office. You could go home now if you want to,” Donghae complained but unfortunately for him, Hyukjae was not having any of it. He needed coffee and for sure, Donghae needed one as well. 

 

“Come on! We could go order some tea, iced coffee or something. Please?” The blonde internally smiled and danced when he saw Donghae’s eyes twitched for a brief moment. At the end though, Donghae sighed.

 

“Ugh fine. You had me at iced coffee, Lee.”

 

 

Donghae was not sure what and how it happened but he suddenly found himself sitting across from Hyukjae inside some 24 hour café near the company. He was absolutely sleepy and almost lethargic but the aroma of coffee and tea being brewed somehow helped him stay awake. He looked at the older and Hyukjae was drumming the table to some beat he could not even hear and understand. He was also bobbing his head with a soft smile on his lips and Donghae envied the older guy. How could he still have so much energy in him?

 

Just then, the waiter arrived carrying their orders. “One iced coffee vanilla for Lee Donghae-ssi and one iced Americano for Lee Hyukjae-ssi. Thank you for waiting, sirs.” The waiter bowed and they muttered soft “thanks” before enjoying the coffee rushed like hyperactive kids to their systems. Silence took over but it did not last long unlike before.

 

“Can I ask something, boss?” Hyukjae inquired, not taking his eyes off of the black-haired.

 

“You’re already asking so just go on with it.”

 

“Why did you quit being a romance novelist when you were making a name because of it? I heard from Minho and Doojoon that you were one of the best in the field.”

 

Donghae thought for a moment before answering. “After what happened to me, romance was just not a thing in my life anymore. If I continued being a writer, then it was just like forcing myself to do something that I’m no longer good at. And hey! If I didn’t let go of that job, then you wouldn’t be in the company.” He slightly laughed at his words but stopped when he saw Hyukjae’s expression which was borderline serious. He was not laughing, smiling, nor complaining or whining and Donghae admitted that he was not used to this Lee Hyukjae. There was something in the other’s look but he would not want to get ahead of himself and assume t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter