i. every first impressions

One Step, Two Steps
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“It is only at the first encounter that a face makes its full impression on us.”

 

Arthur Schopenhauer

 

 

“What the ’s wrong with you today, my only friend?”

 

Hyukjae grumbled as he tried, more like harassed, the poor button on the printer. That damn printer usually worked pretty well almost every single day, so why? Why the hell did it decide to play bull with him today of all days in the week? He had a deadline to meet and it was due in an hour. He finally started to regret his decision of binge watching Iron Man with his beautiful Choco last night.

 

ing hell! Lee Donghae’s going to kill me. Hyukjae thought as he grew more impatient and at the same time, frantic. He had no freaking idea on what to expect from his boss who was surprisingly younger than him by a few months. How his boss landed to that high position in that young age was a mystery to him and even to his co-writers.

 

The familiar sound coming from the printer indicating that it was now functioning broke him from his internal rants and grumbles.

 

Oh thank God!

 

Hyukjae immediately connected it to his PC and the first draft for his second official romance novel was now printing. Maybe luck was still on his side after all.

 

He could still remember the very first time he had met his boss and it sure was not a core memory he would like to remember for the rest of his life. If ever, it still gave him shudders and goose bumps.

 

 

“Wow, hyung! These are impressive.”

 

“You’ll make it big, Hyukjae hyung.”

 

“I am sure our boss would like your outputs.”

 

It was only Hyukjae’s third day at work and he was already being complimented by the other writers. He tried to hide his blush while thanking them one by one. He would like to believe he was brought up well and always showing gratitude to the people who deserved it was a moral lesson he learned from his parents.

 

Being accepted to this company as the sole romance novelist was truly his career’s turning point and add it to the fact that Everlasting Friends Publishing Inc. was a topnotch publishing company in the country. Their office may be small, only comprising of few floors and departments, but it was luxurious and most definitely productive.

 

He also met three wonderful people he now considered his friends.

 

Lee Sungmin, a bunny-faced graphic artist who nagged at them like a mom. He sure as hell one of the best graphic artist Hyukjae had ever met. The other can be pretty nosy and would always stuck his nose to their personal businesses, but that was because he was concerned and always on the go to help.

 

Cho Kyuhyun, the lanky guy a.k.a. the resident gamer who was actually a science fiction writer. Upon spending some time with him, Hyukjae realized the younger tended to be quiet most of the time but that was because he spent his free time playing games on his PSP. The younger was dependable and truly dedicated to his works he loved to call his “masterpieces”.

 

And Henry Lau, the baby-faced mystery novelist who was also talented as . The kid could play any kinds of musical instruments and he was quite surprised he was not a musician. Henry, who was also the youngest in their circle, also served as their “happy pill” as he knew how to ease up the atmosphere whenever they were stressed or just plain tired.

 

The four of them were being supervised by someone named Lee Donghae who was still missing in action at the time due to a  conference meeting somewhere in the province of Gangwon.

 

He also met Shim Changmin, Kim Jaejoong, and Kim Junsu, comic book writers under a different supervisor named Jung Yunho. Hyukjae had the pleasure to meet Yunho and all he could say was that the guy was the icon of passion and hard work. He was an angel under the pretense of a fatherly face. The guy always made sure that their department had a light atmosphere and everyone’s doing their job with the utmost contentment and convenience.

 

Since Yunho and his team were basically under the “Comic Book Department”, their offices were just a floor below them who were under the “Fiction Novel Department”.

 

A day before, Sungmin briefly gave him a heads up about their supervisor. He said that Donghae was the total opposite of Yunho and that he should not expect similarities. If Yunho was kind, approachable, and easygoing, then Donghae was apparently cold, reserved, and snobbish. Hyukjae did not believe that because he had yet to meet the guy and he could not just judge him like that. It would be too unfair for his boss.

 

“What’s this commotion all about?”

 

A deep, velvety voice from behind was suddenly heard and Hyukjae noticed how Sungmin, Kyuhyun, and Henry froze on their p

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter