xii. epic love story in the making

One Step, Two Steps
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Maybe there isn’t such thing as fate. Maybe it’s just the opportunities we’re given, and what we do with them. I’m beginning to think that maybe great, epic romances don’t just happen. We have to make them ourselves.”

 

Marissa Meyer

 

 

Several weeks had passed and neither Donghae nor Hyukjae had the courage to mention anything related to what happened at the cemetery.

 

It took Donghae five long and agonizing days to recover from the shock of seeing his ex-lover, not to mention talking to him again even for just a brief moment. He cried his soul and heart out the night of that incident and neither Zhoumi nor Sungmin knew what to do on how to console their younger friend. Seeing Donghae like that again just because of the appearance of that unwanted guy broke the hearts of the two, but they were aware only Donghae could help himself in the long run. If only Donghae could forgive himself then maybe the pain in his heart would be lessened.

 

For the succeeding days after his breakdown, Donghae was never been more thankful to Hyukjae for not bringing anything up. They talked and sometimes exchanged banters and insults like the usual, but Donghae still could not straight up thank his supervisee personally. Hyukjae did more than he should that day and Donghae was not just thankful, but also, he somehow wanted to apologize to the other for having to witness such disturbing encounter involving him and his past lover. Both “thank you” and “I’m sorry” were still stuck in his throat, not really knowing how to voice them out to Hyukjae. Soon. Donghae believed.

 

 

Time proved to be a very fast concept and the young boss found himself enjoying his me-time on the same mall Zhoumi and Sungmin took him to before. Donghae did not know what flashed through his silly mind but he suddenly found his apartment suffocating and throttling. And so he did what he thought he would never do after a long time: shopping all by himself.

 

Truth be told, Donghae really enjoyed shopping years ago and in fact, he was actually the true shopaholic among the three of them. Shop ‘til you drop. His go-to motto whenever he entered something even remotely close to a mall. His closets were always filled with new and trendy clothes that Jiyong was actually the nagging one among them about how he should wear first the other clothes he bought prior.

 

After that traumatic incident two years ago, he found shopping and going to the mall very time- and effort-consuming. Okay! Maybe that was only half of the actual reason because the other half was actually because he was afraid of bumping into his ex-lover. This is a very small world, who the hell knows what could happen, right? What changed though? Probably he was no longer afraid, still hurt maybe but most definitely not afraid.

 

 

Three hours of nonstop walking and purchasing things around the mall tired the hell out of him. Physical activities truly were big HELL NO for him and today was possibly the most that he had walked lately. The surroundings were also starting to get a bit boring to Donghae and he contemplated on whether to call Sungmin or Zhoumi or both to accompany him.

 

Maybe not. They are perhaps very busy.

 

As that thought crossed his mind, he pocketed his mobile phone and he went straight to the cashier to pay for the pair of leather shoes he was planning to buy.

 

“Sir, how many times should I tell you that your card is not functioning and we do not accept euros here?”

 

Donghae looked up from scrutinizing the shoes for some defects to see what was holding the line. He found a frustrated-looking male employee and a man probably on his late fifties or early sixties in front of the cashier. According to what he could comprehend and upon observing the interaction for a couple of minutes, the man could not pay for his purchases because his card unfortunately malfunctioned and he only had euros with him. Briefly scanning the man from head to toe, he gave off an aura and vibe of a very rich person, and not to mention, a calm one on top of that. He could not see a hint of frustration nor defeat on the man’s face and Donghae was slightly surprised.

 

Donghae glanced to his back and he noticed that the dilemma was holding the line as groans and complains could be heard from the customers behind him. He was usually not the type of person to meddle with other’s businesses but helping the older man who was in dire need of help would cause less trouble to all of them.

 

“Here!” He handed his card to the person behind the cashier and both the male employee and the man looked at him curiously. “We don’t want to cause any more troubles, right? And you guys are holding the line,” he added and the man shook his head.

 

“No. I don’t want to bother you, young man. I could just leave these things for a while here and go to the nearest money exchange shop...”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter