iv. hindering memories

One Step, Two Steps
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“But the memories that hang heaviest are the easiest to recall. They hold in their creases the ability to change one’s life, organically, forever. Even when you shake them out, they’ve left permanent wrinkles in the fabric of your soul.”

 

Julie Gregory

 

 

“Please, Hyukjae hyung! Just this one time, please? I’m begging you, hyung.”

 

Hyukjae could definitely hear the desperation on Kyuhyun’s voice from the other line and he almost gave in to the other’s ridiculous request.

 

No, Hyukjae! You idiot! Say no!

 

Wondering what the request was all about? Well, the science fiction novelist just called him early in the morning for him to talk to their boss, Donghae, whether Kyuhyun could bring his nephew to the office. Kyuhyun’s sister who was a divorcee was out of town at the moment and he cannot possibly just ditched work for babysitting. Why not babysit and work at the same time, right? Kyuhyun argued.

 

“Just make Sungmin do it, Kyuhyun-ah. They are close, right?” He tried coaxing his younger friend but it was not working.

 

“Hyung, did you really think I would bother asking you if I didn’t try calling him first? That er’s not even answering his phone.” Kyuhyun’s voice was now laced with frustration and desperation. That was his first time hearing Kyuhyun like that, so desperate and definitely out of his usual calm—yet if you squint carefully—dangerous demeanor.

 

With a sigh, Hyukjae muttered a low and defeated “Fine”, earning him a shout of cheer from Kyuhyun instantly.

 

“Thanks, Hyukjae hyung. I knew I could count on you more than I could count on Henry and that bastard Lee Sungmin. I still have to prepare Hajun’s things so see you at the office in twenty-five, I guess?”

 

“Yeah. You owe me one this time, er!”

 

And Hyukjae hung up on the younger. Since he was already prepared for work when Kyuhyun called earlier, he went straight to his car and into the office he arrived.

 

Kim Hajun was Kyuhyun’s two-year-old nephew and Hyukjae swore that kid was an ultimate cutie pie. Whenever the three of them dropped by their younger friend’s apartment, they would just spend their time playing with Hajun. The kid sure knew how to charm people. And maybe if Donghae saw Hajun and his adorable face jam-packed with cuteness, he would surely grant their request, right? Right?

 

 

Because of the slightly heavy traffic due to the morning rush, Hyukjae arrived at the office just five minutes before Kyuhyun arrived with Hajun. Sungmin and Henry immediately attended to the toddler, leaving their cubicles and works undone. He did the same but instead, he went straight to Donghae’s office to make the request.

 

Kyuhyun offered to do it instead as to not bother him any further but his hands were so full and Hyukjae was not one to break promises. After all, that was the least he could do to help the sci-fi writer.

 

 

Hyukjae knocked three times on the door and when he heard a raspy voice telling him to come in, he went inside without thinking twice. Donghae looked up from reading some documents and welcomed him with a blank stare.

 

“What can I help you with?” His boss asked and Hyukjae reminded himself that he was there to help Kyuhyun and Hajun and not to stare at the other’s face. The morning rays seemed to favor Donghae that much because he looked like a fallen angel with the rays radiating directly on the side of his face.

 

Just quit it, Hyuk. You are getting distracted. Remember what you are here for.

 

He cleared his throat, “Uh...that’s right. I just came here to make a request, boss.”

 

That statement made Donghae raised his eyebrow in interest. He put down the file on the table, ready to hear whatever the romance writer had to say. Well, you cannot really blame Donghae, okay? It was not every day that one of his supervisees, especially the one who seemed to hold so much vendetta against him to go to him and make a request. That was just not an everyday occurrence.

 

Truth be told, Donghae was anything but oblivious to all the hates he was getting from his supervisees. He was aware they called him names such as Satan, demon, devil, and other worse possible things. And no, he did not hear them from Sungmin because that rascal was also a major hater of him sometimes. Maybe the previous draft Henry submitted to him may have had contained a doodle of a stick figure (he assumed it was him) since it contained the words “Die Donghae Die”. That doodle just strengthened his suspicions that he unknowingly established a hate club inside their department. He knew he was the primary cause of stress for them and even to his best friend, Sungmin. He also knew they wanted to transfer under Yunho’s management. Donghae knew because he received his fair shares of resignation letters from the people in the past who could not tolerate him and his attitude. He knew yet he said nothing. He chose to just stay silent.

 

“You want to make a request? Are you sure you’re not having a fever, Hyukjae-ssi? Well, this is the first time.” Donghae threw a smirk at Hyukjae’s direction. The latter just ignored the sarcastic remarks of his boss.

 

“I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter