S I X

Expensive Taste

The deafening roar of the jet engine reverberates through the walls beyond the glass panels of the viewing gallery. Commercial planes soar through the skies of Incheon, South Korea. Being one of the busiest airports in Asia, flight after flight is being flashed on the plasma screens indicating arrival and departures. People walked in a hurry trying to catch their own flight while others are trying not to cry as they bid farewell to their family.

Jung Hoseok arrived at the airport a little earlier than he had expected, considering the fact that he was held up in his office. Today was supposed to be a free day for Hoseok but the board members decided that today is the best day to talk about the error that happened a few days prior and Hoseok, being the CEO made his way into their office with a sigh. Praying that his cousin won’t be waiting too long for him.

Checking his own wristwatch, Jungkook’s plane arrived about thirty minutes ago and the younger must be in the customs area by now. Looking around, Hoseok noted the airport’s atmosphere as a polarized contrast. There were people breaking into a broad grin at the first sight of their returning loved one. Accompanied by a steady stream of tourists, lugging their heavy luggage and businessmen in wrinkle-free suits either already being escorted to the VIP area or loitering around talking on their mobile phones. As soon as the electronic doors slid open, Hoseok stood up and raised his arms as he holds a huge placard and waved it around.

 

Exiting the arrival hall, the first thing Jeongguk saw was his cousin, holding up a large placard with Golden Baby Bro written on it with multiple hearts of different colors. A heart-shaped smile full-on display.

Jeongguk and Taehyung rolled their luggage carts toward where Hoseok is waving frantically at them. “what are you doing here?” Jeongguk exclaimed in surprise as Hoseok squeezed him into a bear hug.

“Come on! Of course, I had to welcome my golden boy and best man properly!” Hoseok beamed and turned to Taehyung, stretched out his hand, and said, “You must be Taehyung. I’m Hoseok.”

“Oh sorry, let me make a proper introduction. Kim Taehyung, this is my cousin Jung Hoseok. He’s the one getting married and Hoseok-hyung this is Taehyung, my boyfriend.” Jeongguk said.

“It is a pleasure to finally meet you, Hoseok-ssi”

“None of those formalities,” Hoseok said waving his hand “Just call me hyung. You’re younger right?”

“Yep, I’m actually two years older than gukkie here”

“Great! Then Hyung it is! I’m three years older than him,” Hoseok said while pointing his thumb over Jeongguk’s direction, smile still playing on his lips.

Taehyung smiled back to Hoseok. He wasn’t prepared for this welcome gesture, and after all those long hours on the plane, he could only imagine how hideous he must look. He studied Jeongguk’s cousin for a bit. Hoseok was a little bit smaller compared to Jeongguk, roguishly handsome with golden-brown hair that was parted in the middle to showcase his eyebrows. Hoseok was wearing a burgundy long sleeve that was rolled up until his elbows, the first two buttons popped open. His suit jacket drapes on his arms, a thin gold chain adorned his neck, and wait is that Rolex? 

“Are you staying in Busan until my wedding?” Hoseok suddenly asked as they walk to his car waiting at the curb.

The airport had gone busier and the people passing by had seemingly increased in number but the skies remain clear and the wind a little bit warmer.

Jeongguk nods, “Yeah. Mom insisted that we visit them before the wedding.”

Upon reaching the car, Hoseok helped him hoist up their luggage into the trunk while Taehyung stands on the side and after making sure that they are perfectly safe, they all boarded Hoseok’s car and drove into the busy street. Jeongguk had informed Hoseok where to drop them off but the latter insisted that they should have their lunch together first in a restaurant that he claimed the best there is in the area. Jungkook had laughed it off, since he already knows where that is, while Taehyung just tilted his head to the side but dismisses the thought of questioning them and just decided to take photos to send to his mother.

Both Taehyung and Jeongguk will stay in Seoul for three days. While Jeongguk helps Hoseok with the wedding preparation, Taehyung will meet up with Jimin and spend a well deserve bonding time with his best friend. And after that, they’ll be on their way to Busan to visit Jeongguk’s family.

After the meal, they all decided that it will be best to have the couple to rest for the day as they have a busy schedule tomorrow. Hoseok had dropped them off at the hotel Jeongguk told him and bid his farewell with a promise of a drink or two to Taehyung before they went back to London.

 

 

 

 

 

Taehyung didn’t know what woke him up but as soon as he got rid of the heaviness in his eyelids, he peered at his phone and figured that he’d only slept for about five hours. Jeongguk was still sleeping beside him. He looked around the room, trying to calculate in his head how much this hotel must be costing Jeongguk per night.

He decided to get out of bed, put on a plush pair of slippers that the hotel provided, and padded quietly into the bathroom to freshen up. Then he walked over to the balcony, with only his bathrobe welcoming the fresh morning air. The sky is sporting the usual baby blue color, stretching across the horizon without any indication of bad weather but the cold wind pricked his cheeks as it passes by. Taehyung can see the Namsan Tower from where he is standing and took a mental note to add it to his list before going back to London.

Upon looking down, Taehyung noticed a man probably in his forties tending to the varieties of flowers scattered around the deep green grass. There was a narrow path that looks like it was made of marble on both sides of the rectangular pool placed right in the middle. Just above it is a statue of Hercules that was sculpted from white stone. It was the only sculpture present at this side of the garden, but the abundance of different colors that splash through the place made up for it.

As Taehyung admires the birds chirping from a branch of a tree, a pair of arms s around his waist and Jeongguk placed a kiss in Taehyung’s nape while mumbling a “good morning” Taehyung hums and turns to face his still sleepy boyfriend, circling his arms around Jeongguk’s neck.

“Sleep well?” He asked kissing Jeongguk’s jaw in the process.

“Yeah. How about you?” Jeongguk said sighing as Taehyung a hickey right above his Adam’s apple.

Taehyung then came up to kiss Jeongguk on the lips. He nearly missed, lips a tad too far left and his nose bumping against him, but he persisted. His eyes were closed, but he could hear the crinkling of Jeongguk’s smile as he maneuvered his mouth into position, tilting his head so that their lips could meet firmly. As Jeongguk pulled back sheepishly, Taehyung nibbled on the tip of his nose, then kissed it, and his eyes opened to see Jeongguk’s own orbs shining bright.

“the best sleep I’ve ever got,” Taehyung answers. However, just when he was about to lean in for another kiss, his phone rang with the familiar ringtone meant for Park Jimin only. Jeongguk chuckles while Taehyung sighs and walked towards the bedside table where he had left his phone and slides his fingers on the device to answer.

“Please tell me you’re already here,” Jimin said accompanied by an exasperated sigh. Taehyung snorts through the phone and sits at the bed, crossing his leg over the other, Jeongguk following suit.

“Of course, just woke up though”

“Uh-huh, where’s bunny boy?” Taehyung laughed and put the phone on loudspeaker for Jeongguk,

“He’s here beside me,” Upon hearing that, Jeongguk inched closer to Taehyung. His chin hooked up on the latter’s shoulder.

“Hey, Jimin Hyung” Jeongguk said while smiling. He had talked to the older through phone and occasionally on video call whenever the two best friends talked over skype while Taehyung is at Jeongguk’s but never met him personally despite the number of times Jimin had been to London over the past years he and Taehyung had been together.

Taehyung and Jimin continued talking over the phone for about an hour catching up with each other and trying to set up the best time to meet each other with Jimin asking Jeongguk the most convenient time for him to meet the older but Jeongguk, albeit excited to meet his boyfriend’s best friend, regretfully answered that the earliest he could meet Jimin would be after Hoseok’s wedding and that would be two weeks from now.