F O U R

Expensive Taste

Taehyung’s wristwatch had only just gone three, but it was quite dark already. The month of December started a week ago, and today is their flight to Korea. Taehyung can’t ignore the bubbling feeling in his chest at the thought of finally getting to see the country up close, but just walking from outside to the taxi in the winter causes him great regret. The freezing cold breeze whistles in his ears, casting an icy, cold, stinging agitation all over his bare face.

The frigid air makes his skin grow under the full set of clothes he is wearing, sending goosebumps all over his body. It is so cold that warm tears slowly stream down his rosy cheeks. Rubbing his gloved-hand on his arms in an attempt to bring more warmth in his body. Exhaling, his warm breath gathers into a warm cloud in front of him. Inhaling, the taste and smell of nothing but the cold air cause his mouth to go dry, and nose to run. Taehyung walked faster towards the waiting car because the more he is exposed outside, the more he re-considers going back inside and wraps himself in the warmest blanket he could ever find and drink Hot Choco with marshmallows on top.

The taxi started to roll on the road and Taehyung stares outside the car’s window and admires the city as they passed by. It had not been light all day, the fog came pouring in at every chink and keyhole, covering the neighborhood. Instead of looking dull, the city looks more alive than ever. Christmas decorations are up in every corner. The streets sparkle with green and red colors screaming Christmas Spirit. People rushing and doing their Christmas Shopping. And Taehyung can see the happiest smile on the children’s faces as they stare up at the Christmas Tree being displayed in a store. They were all clad in a thick outfit made to fight the cold. However, the first snow is yet to come and Taehyung is actually hoping to witness the first snow of the year with Jeongguk in Korea and the thought alone makes Taehyung giddy all over again.

After a few minutes, they came into a stop, signaling their arrival at the airport. Jeongguk and Taehyung, amidst the hectic bustle, exit the taxi. Jeongguk went on the back to get their luggage off from the trunk while Taehyung paid the driver. The cold air swirls around them in all directions causing Taehyung to snuggle up to his boyfriend’s side and said boyfriend wraps his arm on his shoulders as they stride towards the main entrance.

Once the warmth inside the airport enveloped the both of them, Taehyung untangles himself from Jeongguk and faced him. “Okay, here’s what we’re going to do.” Face hidden under the thick scarf he’s wearing making his words hard to comprehend.

Jeongguk shakes his head with a soft smile tugging on his lips as he pulled down just a little bit Taehyung’s scarf to let him speak audibly. Taehyung then continued, “Check our bags, get through security, and then once settled on the plane, we could doze off in our seats because I haven’t gotten my six hours of sleep for the last three weeks.”

Just then, a Korean stewardess who looked as if she had materialized straight out of a travel ad came and greeted them, flanked by two porters with luggage carts.

“Good afternoon, Mr. Jeon and Mr. Kim. We’ll take your bags and get you checked into first class.”

“Great. Thank you.” Jeongguk answered with equal politeness. Bowing at the two porters as they take their luggage.

However, Taehyung looked confused as hell and a big bright red question mark flashing above his head.

“I think they’re mistaken about—”

Jeongguk placed his hand on the small of Taehyung’s back and said, “Just go with it. Come on.”

“But—”

“Trust me, okay?” He tried assuring his boyfriend with a peck on his lips and a flash of his bunny smile.

The stewardess leads them inside the plane, a whole Airbus A380-800. The first-class looks more like a hotel than a flying vehicle and to say that Taehyung was shocked was an understatement. He was shaken off of his state when another flight attendant welcomes them.

“Welcome aboard, Mr. Jeon, Mr. Kim. Would you like some champagne?”

“Yes, please,” Jeongguk answered, hand wrapping around Taehyung’s waist.

They walk up to a bar full of different kinds of no doubt expensive liquors and a flute of champagne was poured for them. The flight attendant then leads them to their suite, and Taehyung can’t help but be blown away by the sight. The suite consists of a full leather armchair, two flat-screen TVs, and a full-length wardrobe.

She then turns towards them, “Would you like to enjoy the lounge chairs or should I convert your suite into a bedroom after the takeoff?”

This time it was Taehyung who answered and shoved his bag to Jeongguk’s chest to prevent him from saying anything. “Uh, we’re good. Thank you”

“Very well, then. If you need anything, just call my attention and I’ll be very delighted to assist you. Have a comfortable flight, sirs” She said and bows at the two of them.

Once the flight attendant was out of earshot, Jeongguk settles in his chair while Taehyung tries to wrap his mind to the fact that his in a first-class seat on his way to Korea. Who even flew first class anymore?

“Guk, how?”

“How what?” Jeongguk asked back, brows furrowed

“This!” Taehyung said in a hushed tone, champagne still on his hand while flailing the other to gesture wildly at his surroundings. “You didn’t sell a kidney, right?” expression changing into a mortified one, “Tell me you didn’t or I swear to God Jeon Jeongguk”

“Relax, will you?” Jeongguk said unable to contain his amusement. “No, I didn’t sell a kidney so stop that look. My family has business with the airline. The tickets? They’re a perk.” He said leaving out the fact that their family is the biggest shareholder of Korean Airlines.  He then continued, “Besides, we’re going on a long flight, love. I can’t have you flying uncomfortably.”

Taehyung senses there’s more to this but decided to dismiss the topic. Just as he settles in, the plane began to take off, and Taehyung looked out the window at the planes lined up on the tarmac, lights flashing on the tips of their wings, each one awaiting their turn to hurtle skyward. It is only then that the thought of flying across the world starts to sink in his mind. I’m actually meeting them. I’m actually meeting his parents, holy .  

“I was just asking! Anyway, what’s your family is like? I knew you said your family is comfortable, gets to eat three meals a day and your brother is a model, which by the way is the most beautiful man I’ve ever laid my eyes.” He then took a small sip of his champagne and grimacing afterward. “But that’s that. I mean, I’m going over there to meet them and I have no proper knowledge about who they are.”

Taehyung knows he’s rambling but you can’t blame him for his nervousness. This is the first time he’ll be meeting Jeongguk’s family and he doesn’t have any clue what’s he’s getting into.

“Well, my family is much like anybody else’s. There’s half of them that you love and respect, and then there’s the other half that makes you want to throw each of them into the sea but obviously you can’t since they’re, well, family so you just have to bear being in the same place as them.” Jeongguk answered with a shrug of his shoulder while going through a series of movies to watch later and decided to just choose Pocahontas. It was Taehyung’s favorite, by the way, and Jeon Jeongguk is a whipped man. Sue him.

“That’s very honest of you,” He said while chuckling, getting comfortable in his seat. “So, which half am I meeting?”