T W O

Expensive Taste

 

South Korea represents the fourth largest economy in Asia and the 15th largest in the world. A handful of companies, led by the Jeon Group – a massive company that represents more than 20% of the entire Korean economy, dominate the business community, and hold significant sway over political matters. Noting the posted record revenue from the Jeon Group of $218 Billion and a net profit of approximately $50 Billion this year.

Jeon Electronics, a subsidiary of the larger Jeon group, is the company’s most noteworthy legacy and the largest information technology company in Asia and second in the world after Apple.

Another rising legacy of the company is when the Jeon group’s subsidiary, Belvedere – a biopharmaceutical company went public earlier this year and with the release of new drugs to treat lymphoma, and rheumatoid arthritis, revenues have soared since then.

Other subsidiary companies include Hei Engineering, Hanyang Land Corporation, Nuri Electro-mechanics, Relius Life Insurance, Jeon Advanced Institute of Technology, JXJ Mining and Development Corporation, and Cheiko Universal Bank.

With the money they owned, it is unsurprising to note that the Jeons lived in a $40 Million dollars town house perched atop of a hill located in the west part of Busan – Away from the hustle and bustle of the big city and close to the quiet and peaceful ambiance that the place offers.

Hidden from view by a small forest of trees, the main house is set behind elegant, carved wooden gates. A pair of life-size golden lion stand guard on the grounds. Upon entry the massive living area welcomes you with its elegant white interior paired with wooden floors and four windows extending from floor to ceiling with gold curtains draped to the side revealing the breath-taking view of the ocean. While on the left side is the spectacular serpentine Portuguese marble staircase complete with ornate, wrought-iron balustrades leading to the second floor of the house where the first four bedrooms are, the three bedrooms are located on the third floor and are used by the Jeon Family, on the right side you will see where the formal dining room is located complete with its cathedral limestone ceiling, imposing exotic wood floors and wooden arched door leading to the covered patios where most of Mrs. Jeon’s tea ceremony is held. The patios spread over two levels at the rear of the house, flooring polished with marble tile and varnished wood ceilings.

In the slightly overgrown grounds, just outside the covered patios, there’s a wooden door decorated with the Family’s emblem right at the center. Said door leads to the pool house adorned with a Corinthian pillar on the four corners of their seven feet pool.

Jeon Jihee – the matriarch of the family stands in the middle of their living area, eyes trained on the device held by her assistant. Tea ceremony completely forgotten. Not when the picture of her son in a less expensive coffee shop somewhere in downtown London glares at her as she tries to process what is right in front of her.

“Do you want us to do a background check, madam?” Mr. Kwon said. He’s been working with the family for more than five years already.

Being an heir to a massive company, Jeongguk is expected to choose an equally important and influential person to be with. Jeon Jihee doesn’t care if it’s a boy or a girl. But she will definitely not let her son be with someone with an economic status that won’t be in par with the Jeons.

“Do it-“Jeon Jihee was interrupted by the entrance of her eldest son, Seokjin. Strutting over where his mother is, head held high. Maid in tow, balancing a tray of tea and pastries that Seokjin had bought on his way to their town house

“You will definitely not do a background check on him, Mr. Kwon.” Seokjin said once he reached his mother and kissed her cheeks for a greeting. “You may leave. Thank You very much.” He continued.

“Yes, of course.” Mr. Kwon then bows his head and turns on his heel leaving the mother and son on their own.

Mrs. Jeon looks at her son with displeased emotions radiating off of her, arms over her chest, eyebrows raised and a frown etched on her lips.

Seokjin chuckles and sits on the couch, his right leg crossed over the other and then picks up a magazine from the coffee table. He realized that it was the magazine he was featured in. The photoshoot took over two weeks in Suomenlinna, Finland a few months prior.

“Your brother had a British boyfriend.” His mother said before picking up her cup of chamomile tea that the maid had placed before to compensate the forgotten monthly tea ceremony with her circle, savoring the mild bitterness paired with a light, floral and slightly sweet taste that instantly relaxes her nerves. “And to top it off, I found out through social media.”

Seokjin raised his eyebrow at that and then remembers that the picture of his brother with his boyfriend is currently spreading like a wildfire through social media. He had known the relationship of Jeongguk and Taehyung for some time now. Even met the guy whenever he comes by to London for work or for leisure. It is not long ago though when he found out that Yoongi’s Jimin is Taehyung’s college best friend.

“First, the guy’s not British. He’s Korean who grew up in London. Yoongi knows him. Second, Jeongguk must have had his reasons for not telling you sooner.” He said flipping through pages and stopping on the spread that features his life being married and a model.

“At least the heir of Anzu Oil Company knows him.” She huffs and pulled out her own phone to dial Jeongguk’s number. She couldn’t care less if its 10pm from where he is across the world. She needs to have a word with her son.

She held the device on her ear and waits for Jeongguk to pick up the phone but all she hears is the annoying voice saying that her son’s phone is currently unreachable and she should leave a message after the beep.

She spoke haltingly into the phone, “Jeonggukie, are you sleeping now? Call me when you received this and let me know your flight information.” She then continued, “Everyone except me knows when you’re coming home. Also, are you staying with us first or with your grandma? Please call me back. Take care.”

After leaving a voice message, she put down the phone and opted to just sit in one of the sofa’s in their living area, finishing her tea in the process.

Mrs. Jeon then cleared and turns towards her eldest son, “How’s Switzerland, Honey?”

“Lovely. Did lots of sight-seeing.” Seokjin answered, forehead creased because since when did his mother become interested with his travels?

“You weren’t with your husband?” She asked again, this time reaching out for the daily newspaper beside the stack of magazines on the coffee table.

“No. He’s in Dubai for a business meeting.” He said making a mental note to call him tonight to confirm if he’s still coming with him to Japan next week.

Mrs. Jeon hums in understanding, “That husband of yours, he’s a hard working one. Anyway, have you spoken with Jeongguk recently?” She asked, curiosity laced her voice.

Seokjin paused for a moment. He lifted his eyes and stares at his mother. “I did. Called him a couple of days ago.” He answered, knowing where this conversation is going.

She sighs, “Did he tell you when he was coming to Korea?”

“No, he didn’t mention the exact date. But I’m sure he’ll be here a few days before Hobi’s wedding, don’t you think?”

“You know your brother.” She sighs, “Both of you don’t tell me anything.” Mrs. Jeon paused, and then continued cautiously. “The guy,”

Seokjin put down the magazine he’s holding in favor of turning his attention fully at his mother, “Eomma, you know you gotta be more specific with that.”

“The one your brother is dating. Have you met him?”

“I did. I first met him when I was in London for the Fashion Week” Seokjin smiled, remembering the first time he met the guy. Jeongguk had brought him backstage after the show. The poor guy was a stuttering mess upon meeting the model up close. Apparently, Taehyung had been Seokjin’s fan since his college days.

Mrs. Jeon quirked an eyebrow, The latest London Fashion Week Seokjin had attended was last year's September, which meant this guy had been in the picture for at least a year now. “What’s he like?”

“He seems completely grew accustomed to British living.” Seokjin said before halting because he shouldn’t have said that, aware of his mother’s distaste with Asian people with whatever accent of English they have.

“He’s nice. And smart too. A very accomplished man, I might say. He’s currently a professor in Goldsmiths. I think you’ll like him.” Seokjin added because he knew that his mother is trying to get information about Jeongguk’s boyfriend out of his mouth and with that he felt the need to present Taehyung in the best possible light.

“Oh. He’s the brainy type. Just like Jeonggukkie”

“I’m told that he’s one of the up-and-coming professors in his field.” He answered, blowing the steam off of his cup of chai tea.

“Which is?” Mrs. Jeon questioned, interest starting to increase.

“Art” Seokjin supplied, remembering the enthusiasm that Jeongguk had showed while talking about Taehyungie hyung’s first exhibit and sent a picture of a sculpture that Taehyung had made. It is very fascinating how the sculpture looks exactly just like Jeongguk.

“Your brother doesn’t fancy art.” His mother had his eyebrow raised. “Did he go to Imperial College London?”

Seokjin shakes his head and answered, “No, he went to Birkbeck College.”

“Yes, yes, I know Birkbeck College” Mrs. Jeon said, sounding unimpressed. A public research university.

“It’s a top school, eomma.” Seokjin said, knowing exactly what his mother was thinking.

Mrs. Jeon clicked her tongue. “Well, I suppose if you are forced to go to a university

“Come on, eomma. Birkbeck College is a great university. I believe he also went to University of the Arts, London for his master’s. Taehyung is very intelligent and capable, and completely down-to-earth. I think you’ll like him very much.”

“Oh, I’m sure I will,” Mrs. Jeon replied, So, his name is Taehyung. Mrs. Jeon paused. She just needed one more piece of information – his surname.

“What was his family name again? I think I’m going to get one of those nice cakes from Deux Crèmes and put his name on it as a welcome gift.”

“Kim. Kim Taehyung” Upon answering, Seokjin picked up the forgotten magazine on top of the coffee table

Mrs. Jeon nods her head with her son’s answer, “You said that Min Yoongi knows him. Do you think they’re connected? Like relatives?” Mrs. Jeon pressed, “How about the Kim Industries? They’re the closest family to the Min’s”

“Not that I know of.” He then continued, “To be really honest, I only met the guy a few times before. I think it is disrespectful to ask about his family background, no?”

“Of course, Of course.”

His mother dismisses the conversation with an expression akin to satisfaction, these children of mine were thick as thieves. She thought, but at least she got the information she wanted.

Upon noticing the silence that the area had enveloped in, Seokjin lifted his eyes from the magazine he is reading for a moment, noting the satisfaction that his mother at least remained seated on their Plume Blanche Diamond Encrusted Sofa adjacent from him, overlooking the calming view outside their floor to ceiling glass window. But of course, he couldn’t know that behind those serene eyelids, Mrs. Jeon was silently thinking about something else entirely. A boy with an unknown background! Please God, let it not be true.