ᴺᴱᵂ ELEVEN

Expensive Taste

Taehyung basked himself in the nighttime breeze completely disregarding the fact that he’s been shivering since he decided to sit on the bench outside the house. He just wished he had worn thicker clothing and screw dressing up for all he cares.

“There you are,” someone said from his back and a warm coat was gently placed on his shoulders.

Taehyung turned around to see Jeongguk’s older brother, Seokjin, adorned in the chicest outfit he had ever seen, quite different from how he had remembered the older in London.

So, this was Seokjin hyung in his natural habitat.

“Hyung!” he cried, delighted to see a friendly face at last.

“What were you doing out in the cold?” Seokjin said and took a seat beside him, “Jeongguk’s been looking for you,”

Taehyung looked down on his laps and unconsciously sniff the coat that Seokjin has given him and he concluded that it belongs to Jeongguk because of its powdery smell. Closing his eyes, Taehyung imagined Jeongguk hugging him while giving him the widest smile he could muster. Sniffing once more, closing his eyes in the process. Always smelt like a baby.

His eyes were snapped wide open when he heard a chuckle beside him and blushed a deep red upon realizing that Seokjin just saw what he did.

“s-sorry..” He said, suddenly finding the ground more interesting.

“It’s okay. Jeongguk told me to get that for you, he’s supposed to be the one to get you instead of me but was held up by our mother. You know how they missed him.” Seokjin said as he rubbed his hands together in an attempt to keep them warm. “How about we go inside now? Not necessarily where the party is, we could hang out in my old room.”

Taehyung nodded in agreement because to be really honest, he doesn’t want to die out in the cold. And a warm bed is all he needs right now after his little talk with himself. After all, he didn’t want to worry Jeongguk, It’s the first time he’d been home for so long. He’s not going to ruin that for him.

 

 

 

The walk to Seokjin’s old room was relatively short despite having it situated on the third floor of the house. Taehyung learned that the room right across it, was Jeongguk’s and on the far end was their grandmother’s. Their parents mostly stay in a guest room in the second floor because the two were never home during their childhood, either travelling for business or down in their house in Busan.

Upon entering, Taehyung noticed the simplicity of Seokjin’s room. The walls were painted in beige and the flooring is covered in wood. Placed in the center of the room’s floor is a white furry carpet. There was not many furniture in his room save for the vanity mirror a few feet to the left, his queen-sized bed perched on the wall, over-looking the window, and a few shelves with books and photographs decorating them.

“I haven’t slept here ever since I got married,” Seokjin quietly said as he brushed past him and took a seat on his bed.

“Why though?” Taehyung questioned as he sat at the edge, facing Seokjin.

“My husband said he feels suffocated in here and besides, I’m always travelling. It’s either overseas or our penthouse.” Seokjin said, while taking off his footwear and proceeds to sit Indian style on the bed.

Taehyung plopped himself next to him and stared at the ceiling while hugging the nearest pillow. Seokjin noticed his troubled expression and proceeds to card his fingers through Taehyung’s hair. It’s the only way he knew to make the younger relax because it used to do the job for Jeongguk when they were little. Taehyung sighed in content and closed his eyes for a moment. The finger gently massaging his scalp is making him want to fall asleep and forget everything about tonight.

“Hyung,” He said in a soft voice and Seokjin hums as his answer. “Why do I feel like I know so little about Jeonggukkie’s life in here?”

“You know how Gukkie is,” said Seokjin. His fingers massaging the younger’s head lightly in a circular motion. “He didn’t want this lifestyle. He hates being reminded of how he’s going to be the next CEO after our father. That is why he wants his old lifestyle pushed behind his back and create something for himself without using his family name.”

 “And I completely understand that, hyung.” Taehyung said as he sits up and faced Seokjin, putting an emphasis on the word ‘understand’. His brows furrowed and a pout placed on his lips. “What I don’t understand is why he didn’t tell me anything? We’ve been dating for two years already, hyung.” He said and raised his two fingers which made Seokjin laugh softly with the younger’s silliness.

A knock was heard and both males turned their attention towards the closed door and Seokjin cleared his throat and said, “It’s open.”

The door opened just a little bit and Jimin poked his head in, “Can I come in?”

“Of course,” Seokjin replied with a warm smile, beckoning the younger to come closer which made Jimin beamed and fully opened the door to let himself in and thanked the older. The murmurs of the guests and blurred sound of the classical music playing downstairs slowly drowned out once Jimin had closed the door.

“Jeongguk told me to look for you here, he’s currently swarmed with rich aunties that looked more like sugar mommies with the way they’re ogling your boyfriend.” Jimin said and took a seat on the bean bag placed beside the bed. “You should’ve seen his face when he tried to escape from them, He looks like he’s going to cry.” He then snorts.

“He had always hated that. He used to hide from his closet when we were little everytime we held an event like this.”

Seokjin remembered way back into their childhood whenever they have to plan for an occasion, they never talk about it in Jeongguk’s presence because he will surely throw a tantrum. His parents would spend time to coax the little boy and bribe him with every material thing possible but the only way to dissipate his mood is to let him stay in his room for the rest of the event’s duration. There’s nothing traumatic happened with Jeongguk to make him hate parties, it’s just how he really is. But good thing that as he grows older, he gets to enjoy these occasions without having a sour mood. The memory made Seokjin smiled and realized how the years had passed and seeing his brother have someone else beside him made him smile fondly at the male in front of him.

“Wow, I can’t even imagine that but that’s cute.” Jimin cooed as he made himself comfortable even more in the bean bag. “What were you talking about anyway? If you don’t mind me asking?”

“You know how I feel about not knowing that much about Jeongguk’s family? Yeah,” Taehyung said.

“Aww, my baby bear.” Jimin looked at him with sadness but it immediately disappeared as he looked at Seokjin’s direction.  “Seokjin hyung, how about you introduce your family to Tae? Because it seems like our Prince Charming isn’t planning on doing that.”

“It’s really quite simple,” Seokjin said as he stretched out his limbs because it’s starting to be uncomfortable for him. “Our grandfather and Jackson Wang’s grandmother are siblings. Both weren’t present since well, our grandfather already passed away few years ago and Jackson’s grandmother is staying in Switzerland for her medication.”

“Oh, I’m sorry about that,” Taehyung said, sympathy swimming in his eyes.

“it’s fine. Anyways, Hoseok’s mother and our mother are siblings too. Then ta-da! Family.”

“So, you have a Chinese blood, too?”

“Oh no. Jackson’s grandmother and our grandfather are full Korean. It’s just that she married a Chinese man and lived in China ever since and their only son, Uncle Malcolm married a Chinese woman, too. It’s good how despite the dominant Chinese blood in them, they still let Jackson learn about the Korean culture and let him stay here. Their family occasionally fly here to visit, mostly when there’s a big event.”

“The Wangs loved attention,” Jimin commented from where he seated which made Seokjin agree almost immediately.

“They always wanted to have a grand entrance in every occasion.”

“What for?” Taehyung questioned.

“Just because they can.” Jimin and Seokjin answered in unison and laughed it off after. “They owned the biggest Pharmaceutical Company in China, by the way.” Jimin added.

“Right. So, The Wangs loved attention just because they can and they owned a pharmaceutical company. What else?”

“Now to the next branch!” Jimin clapped once. “The Jungs” He said as if he’s presenting an award.

“They have only one child and that is Hoseok. They own J-Tech, the number one technology company in Asia and they’re planning to expand in America, hence Hoseok’s marriage with the Hwang’s youngest daughter, Miyoung.”

“That was an arranged marriage?” Taehyung questioned as his eyes grew wider. I didn’t know there’s still arrange marriage in 21st century.

“Yes, very much so. They don’t really like each other.” Seokjin said.

“That . Good thing you didn’t marry for such reasons, hyung.” Jimin commented, sinking further in his bean bag as he crosses his arms over his chest. “I wonder if Yoongi hyung’s in an arranged marriage, too?”

Seokjin laughed. “Don’t worry. The Min’s wants Yoongi to have his own choices as long as he won’t forget his responsibility as the CEO of Anzu Oil company.”

“That reminds me, didn’t the Jeon Group is trying to have a partnership with them?” Jimin questioned.

“The Jeon Group already got them to sign the partnership three weeks ago,” Seokjin replied.

“What business does your family have Hyung? I remember Gukkie telling me that your family is in partners with Korean Air?” Taehyung piped in, his curiosity growing.

“They have multiple businesses, Tae. They’re richer than the gods.” Jimin then added, “The Jeons literally owned South Korea at this point.”

“Now that’s an exaggeration, don’t you think?” Seokjin said as he tries to surpass his laughter.

“Hyung, your family literary runs the 20% or more of South Korea’s economy.” Jimin replied wildly gesturing with his hands to convey how huge the Jeon Group is.

“Well, Jeon Group have different companies under its name―”

“See?!”

 

While putting back his dress shoes, Taehyung realized how rich Jeongguk’s family is and now, he doesn’t really know how to face the huge crowd downstairs without feeling their judging gaze on the back of his head.

“Don’t worry, Tae. Chin up.” Jimin whispered before walking towards the stairs. Seokjin’s hand was placed on the small of his back, a gentle re-assurance to Taehyung.

As they proceeded down the stairs, Seokjin whispered to Taehyung, “Straight ahead, the one wearing yellow dress and hair styled up in a bun is Mrs. Chu Xiaoze. She’s from our mother’s circle. Her daughter was the one who spread your picture with Jeongguk in London.” Taehyung simply gulped.

Not a few minutes passed, Jimin leaned in on his right, “A little bit to your left, wearing that obnoxious red gown and biggest pearl earrings, is Mrs. Im the current President of Yulyi Corporations.”

Seokjin snickered as he follows Jimin and Taehyung’s line of sight and seeing Im Sunkyung. “She tried marrying off her daughter to Jeonggukkie at some point,”

“I don’t know why you’re telling me this but I just wanted the both of you to know that It’s making me more nervous,” Taehyung whispered and the two males beside him laugh it off as they took his arms towards their designated table.

A buffet supper had been set up in the conservatory, an elliptical shaped room with dramatic frescoed walls of what appeared from a distance to be a dreamy, muted oriental scene. On closer inspection, Taehyung noticed that while the mural did evoke the classical Baekdu mountain, the details seemed to be pure Hieronymus Bosch, with strange, lurid flowers climbing up the walls and iridescent phoenixes and other fantastical creatures hiding in the shadows. Three enormous round tables gleamed with silver chafing dishes, and arched doorways opened onto a curved colonnaded terrace where white wrought-iron bistro tables lit with tall votives awaited the diners.

Taehyung marveled at the sheer variety of food that had been laid out. One table was filled with traditional Korean food, another with Thai delicacies, and the last with western dishes. As usual, he was a bit at a loss when confronted with a huge buffet. Just then, a plate of sweets was placed in front of him and Taehyung followed the arm holding the plate and saw Jeongguk smiling widely at him. Taehyung smiled back and took the plate from his beaming boyfriend.

“I knew you wouldn’t know what to take so I decided to do it for you,” said Jeongguk and holds his waist. “these are my favorite when I was younger.”

Taehyung hums and took a bite out of a pastry that fancied his eye first. “Mom used to prepare this for special occasions but this is a hundred percent tastier. Don’t tell that to my mom, though” He chuckled and stared up at Jeongguk, offering him a bite.

“It was halmeoni’s recipe that she passed down to my mother. She made those for tonight by the way, My mother.” Jeongguk answered as he chewed on. “I’m sorry, I left you earlier.”

“Gross, Jeon Jeongguk.” Taehyung grimaced as he placed down his plate and get a paper napkin, slightly dabbing on the corner of his boyfriend’s mouth. “And It’s fine. Seokjin hyung and Jiminie were with me.” His focus is on his task, not minding the loving stare his boyfriend is currently giving him.

After Taehyung had folded the used paper napkin and puts it away, Jeongguk put his arm around Taehyung. “Come meet my grandmother. I would’ve introduced you to my mother first but she’s currently in the Kitchen, supervising the cooks.” Taehyung then nods in understanding since he’s not yet quite ready to meet his mother.

They walked across the room, and on the sofa closest to the veranda, flanked by a spectacled man smartly attired in a white linen suit and a strikingly beautiful lady, sat a shrunken woman. She had a steel-gray hair swept to the side, and she was dressed in the grandest hanbok Taehyung had ever seen, it was in the color of midnight blue and the little gemstones decorating the lines of the clothing shines under the light, twinkling like stars in the night sky. She was older and frailer than Taehyung had expected, and her regal countenance was unmistakable. Standing completely still behind Jeongguk’s grandmother were two ladies in immaculate matching clothing of iridescent silk.

Jeongguk addressed his grandmother in his Busan dialect which Taehyung finds so hot. “Halmeoni, I’d like you to meet my boyfriend Kim Taehyung from London.”

“So nice to meet you!” Taehyung blurted out with his Korean being a little off.

The old woman peered up at Taehyung for a moment. “Thank you for coming,” she replied haltingly. Her accent much stronger than Jeongguk’s, before turning swiftly to resume her conversation with the lady at her side. The man in the white linen suit smiled quickly at Taehyung, but then he too turned away. The two ladies swathed in silk stared inscrutably at Taehyung, and he smiled back at them tensely. Trying not to get the rather cold treatment get the best of him, remembering Seokjin and Jimin’s words earlier.

Breathe, Tae. You’re doing great.