O N E

Expensive Taste

 

“You sure about this?” Taehyung asked, reaching for his blueberry muffins. This is the third time he asked ever since Jeongguk told him about his cousin’s wedding in Boseong this coming December. They were sitting at their usual table near the window overlooking the bustling city of London on a rainy day.

“A hundred percent sure,” Jeongguk reassured him. “But if you’re not up for it, then that’s fine too. I’d just really love it if you came.” He then continued while taking a bite out of his own pecan pie.

“No, I’ll go. Besides I have nothing to do this winter break.” He said, blowing softly on the surface of his steaming cup of spearmint tea. Taehyung would prefer spearmint than peppermint anytime. For one thing, spearmint is cooler and milder than the latter, and it doesn’t have the same strong ‘minty’ flavor. It has a subtle aroma which is quite refreshing. A perfect tea for a perfect weather like this. And it makes him at ease after a stressful day at the university.

Jeongguk hums, drinking his own cup of Americano. “Then what’s keeping you uncertain with that answer?”

Taehyung sighs and sets down his tea, gaze falling on the busy life down below them. “I’m just worried that I’ll distract you while you’re busy with all those best-man stuffs you gotta do.”

“What distraction? Hoseok’s wedding is only going to take up the first week in Boseong, and then we can spend the rest of the winter break traveling around the country.” Jeongguk answered him and placed his hands over Taehyung’s at the top of the table. Soft eyes looking directly at his own. Taehyung for a moment muted the noise inside the shop and just stare at his boyfriend, because God how does his brown orbs stays vibrant, contrasting the darkness outside? He looked beautiful as he was, fulfilled by just staring into Taehyung’s own orbs, soft smile playing on his lips. There was nothing Jeongguk was selfish for or anything he was overly fierce about. And that’s what make Taehyung fall for him even harder.

“Come on, let me show you where I grew up. I want to take you to all my favorite hiding spots. Hm?” Jeongguk rubbed the pad of his thumb over Taehyung’s knuckles, drawing comforting circles. “And doesn’t your best friend live in Seoul?” He added.

“Ah, Jiminie. Park Jimin. He moved back to Korea after graduating in college,” Taehyung said. “He’s been trying to get me to come visit for years already.”

“All the more reason. Taehyung, you’re going to love it, and I just know you’re going to flip out over the art museums. In fact, remember Namjoon? My friend from college?”

Taehyung searched from the deepest hidden box inside his brain to try remember the College-Friend-Namjoon and suddenly the image of a tall and broad man with ocean-like deep of a dimple appeared on his mind.

“Ah, right. What about him?” He asked. Head tilted to the side and curiosity filling his eyes

“He owns an art museum in Jeju Island. It features Ancient Roman architecture and arts. We could visit that one after the wedding.” Jeongguk said, showing his cute bunny smile that Taehyung loved all through the years that they’ve known each other. Taehyung smiled back at him tightening the grip he had on their intertwined fingers. Warmth radiated from their clasped hands despite the cold weather brought by the fall season and the downpour outside that seems to be getting heavier as time passes by.

Taehyung could definitely sense the eagerness on Jeongguk’s voice as he tells story about his childhood and his home country. It was Taehyung’s home country too but not really since his mother only gave birth to him and after that they migrated to London when he’s allowed to travel. The thought of visiting the country filled him with excitement. As an art professor and an artist, himself, he certainly knew enough about South Korea – well at least it’s art history. It would be fascinating to see the place up close, especially with Jeongguk as his personal-hot-muscled-bunny guide.

Yet something about this trip made Taehyung a little apprehensive, and he couldn’t help but ponder the deeper implications. Jeongguk made it seem so spontaneous, but knowing him, he was sure he had put far more thought into it than he let on. They had been together for almost three years. Exactly two years and nine months, and now he was inviting him on an extended trip to visit his hometown, to attend his cousin’s wedding, no less. But the thought that Jeongguk invited him to meet his family, the very important people in Jeongguk’s life awakens the dormant romantic in him and a thought briefly crosses his mind because certainly, Jeongguk wouldn’t propose, right? He’s just bringing him to his cousin’s wedding. That’s it.

“I’ll have to check with my schedule to see If I can afford having ten weeks off.” Taehyung declared. “But you know what? I’m in. Let’s go to Seoul!” He then added with his boxy smile and Jeongguk leaned across the table, kissing him with smile on both of their lips.

 

At a neighboring table, someone is huddled behind a three-tiered stand piled high with the shop’s best-selling blueberry scones. Said person was getting increasingly excited by the conversation she was overhearing because that’s definitely THE Jeon Jeongguk. Even with only his side profile visible to her, she’ll recognized that sharp jawline and doe eyes everywhere.

Not wasting any moment, she pulled out her phone from her clutch and angled the camera on her face, pretending to be taking a selfie but the camera’s lens is in the direction of the couple a few meters away from her and snapped a photo. Not forgetting to take a double look before hitting the send button.

And soon, the photo of Jeon Jeongguk and his boyfriend reached his mother in Seoul.