Then and Now

Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jessica looked at her reflection carefully, assessing her look at every angle and every side to make sure that it was just the perfect dress. She smiled, satisfied with what she saw only to  then eventually scowl and glare at herself five seconds later as she turned away from the mirror and hastily pulled the dress off her body to change into the next evening wear she had laid on her bed. The red gown was thrown onto a small pile in a random corner of her room as she reached over to wear her next dress. It was a long black dress with an open back and deep front cut that went down her stomach. It left very little to the imagination but hid just enough of her body to peak onlookers interest. It was a very hard dress to pull off but she managed to do it well. It was the perfect mesh of y and classy and to anyone else, it would be the perfect dress to wear if you were looking to strike for an awe-struck attention, but something about it was off.

She didn't want just anyone's attention, she wanted a very specific person's attention and she knew no glamorous, y-tight-fitting dress would do the trick. She knew no matter how much skin or how much glitter she displayed, it won't be enough to get Donghae's attention. 

"Ughhh-aah!" She screeched as she tugged the dress off one more time, practically ripping it in the process, before frustratingly grabbing her next outfit. 

This time, she didn't bother to try it on as she glared at the innocent yellow mini dress with distaste. She didn't bother to give it a second look before throwing it away and bringing the next available outfit up to the light. Then the next, and the next, and the next, until there was nothing left. 

Throwing the last piece of dress away, Jessica was so frustrated at the lack of choices she had that she turned back around towards her mirror and unleashed her frustration towards the innocent inanimate object. Catching a brief glance at her own reaction, Jessica tipped the mirror over before angrily pulling her night robe off the bed and covering herself up as she stomped her way over to her walk-in closet. 

She needed to find something new to wear.

Something nice.

Something good. 

Something right.

Jessica was too wrapped up rummaging through her closet that she didn't hear her bedroom door open or the faint footsteps of someone coming closer. It wasn't until after she had grabbed a handful of dresses to try on and turned around was she made aware of her unexpected visitor's presence. Jessica nearly dropped the set  of clothes she was holding as she gasped and stopped dead on her tracks for a quick second at the sight of Krystal.

"Oh my- you scared me!" She scolded before huffing and shaking her head at her sister then walking past her to plop the clothes she was holding on her bed. There must've been at least a dozen in that small mountain but Krystal was too busy following Jessica's movements to comment on the messy state of her sister's bedroom. 

"What are you doing?"

Jessica didn't answer her and just went to pick her tipped over mirror back up from the ground. Luckily, it was still all in one piece and Jessica, upon seeing her reflection, heaved a sigh of relief as she subconsconsciously patted the sides of the mirror like you would a hurt child on the head. She probably wouldn't have noticed she had done it too if it weren't for her catching Krystal's disapproving look staring right at her through the mirror. Without turning around, Jessica sharply said, "What?" 

"Have you really lost your mind?" Krystal questioned not bothering to hide the purpose of her visit. "Do you see how crazy you look right now? I can't even recognize you. Seriously. Who the hell are you and what have you done with my sister?"

Jessica scowled and glared at Krystal through the mirror asi she tried to fix her hair so it fell at just the right place. 

"Will you stop being dramatic? There's enough drama going on in my life without you adding in it."

"The only drama in your life is you." Krystal retorted and slowly walked closer so that she was standing next to the mirror and in front of Jessica. "When will you let this go?"

Jessica didn't look at her sister and kept her eyes on herself. "Let what go?" She asked, feigning ignorance. 

Krystal pursed her lips together trying to keep her patience with Jessica but after putting up with her crazy charade trying to get Donghae back, she's decided that she would need to draw the line at some point. She's always been used to the logical and level headed older sister that seeing her self destruct before her eyes was both scary and infuriating. 

"Let the stupid idea go that things could be the way you want it to be." She paused when she felt herself get riled up. It was emotions that got Jessica into this mess and she wasn't going to let that ruin that rational talk she had planned to talk her sister out of being crazy, so she took a deep breath, did a slow exhale, then very calmly continued. "Unnie, I know how much it for you when you walked away from Donghae oppa before, but you knew, you had to know, that there was always a possibility that you weren't going to get him back."

"No!" Jessica screeched, unable to hide the effect Krystal's words had on her as she abruptly turned around with a glare. "I have a plan, Krystal and. I'm sticking to it."

"Plans change!" Krystal argued then without so much as a pause to breathe, she followed up with, "People change. We all change!...Donghae oppa has moved on and so should you."

Jessica didn't bother to pay any more attention to her sister's words and turned her back on her as she made an attempt to look busy trying to sort through the clothes she grabbed from hercloset hoping that would be enough incentive to let Krystal know that she wanted to be left alone. However, Krystal wasn't one to be swayed so easily.

Afterall, stubbornness seems to be a common trait in the family.

"You know, Donghae oppa wasn't the first one to love someone else out of the two of you."

At that comment, Jessica couldn't help but send her sister another glare as she made another sharp turn so Krystal could see just how ridiculous her claim was. 

"What the hell are you talking about?! I never dated anyone else. I never even entertained the idea of liking anybody else the entire time I was in the U.S!" 

"That's not what I'm talking about." Krystal crossed her arms and looked Jessica straight in the eye before choosing her next words carefully. "That day...when you chose to walk out of your engagement without saying a word about what you really wanted in life...the day you decided you were going to prioritze yourself over your relatiionship. That was the day you loved someone more than Donghae."

Jessica maintained the scowl on her face but her features had softened. She kept her lips shut mostly for the simple fact that there was nothing else she could say. Everything that's gone wrong in her life seems to go back around to that day. 

Was it really a mistake?

"I'm not saying that that was the wrong decision Unnie, but-" Krystal paused and sighed heavily as she closed her eyes trying to find the right words to say to get through to her sister. "I can't see you do this to yourself anymore, Unnie. I just can't!"

"That's-...I'm an adult, Krystal." Jessica retorted at the last second and puffed her chest up trying to keep her confidence up despite Krystal's words. "I know what I'm doing."

"That's the problem! You know what you're doing but you don't see what's wrong with it!" Krystal retaliated as she took a step closer towards Je

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter