The Date - Part III

Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"W-Wait!--Wait!" Donghae yelled as he struggled to balance himself on the bike. He managed to pedal one foot in before his nerves got the best of him and stopped the bike by getting off the seat completely and standing on his feet. He turned to Hyukjae with a slight pout seeing him muffling giggles and looking way too amused to his liking. "Can you not enjoy this so much?"

"I'm sorry but," Hyukjae laughed then forced himself to stop and grabbed the handles of the bike they rented as he grinned widely at Donghae. "What kind of adult doesn't know how to ride a bike? That's like something you learn when you're six."

"Well, excuse me. I had other things going on in my life and learning how to balance myself on two wheels just wasn't at the top of the list."

"Alright, you big baby."

Donghae tsked and moved to grab the handlebars of the bike once again. "I'm not a baby."

"Sure." Hyukjae chuckled then adjusted his hold on Donghae's seat and placed his left hand under Donghae's left side so that he could help balance him up on the bicycle. "Remember what I told you. Keep looking straight and just keep pedaling. Your body will keep the bike up for you." Hyukjae said his eyes focused on the path he was trying to show Donghae to follow but the other's attention was on something else. Instead of following Hyukjae's line of sight, Donghae decided that there were more interesting things he could be gazing at like how smooth Hyukjae's skin looked up close and how soft it felt when he would accidentally rub it against his. 

"Donghae?" Hyukjae looked to his side and noticed the other was just staring at him. He frowned and pulled back a few inches away from him. "Hey, are you listening to me?"

"Huh? Oh-uhm, y-yeah. Yeah! I am!" Donghae cleared his throat and looked forward, both hands on the handle bar of the bike so he looked like a good student ready to ride. "Look ahead and keep pedaling. Got it."

Hyukjae raised one inquisitive eyebrow at him and smirked. "Alright, smarty pants. Let's see you do it."

"Alright." Donghae laughed and was about to do what was told when another idea popped in his head. He got off the bike seat one more time and looked at Hyukjae with a sly grin. The other sensed his dubious plan and gave him a skeptical look. 

"What?"

"You know, a student always learns better when a prize is involved."

"A prize?" Hyukjae scoffed and looked at him sideways. "You're not a child, Donghae. Why would you need a prize?"

"To keep me motivated, of course." Donghae smiled at him innocently. "So? What do you say - if I go around this park one lap without falling then I can get whatever prize I want."

Hyukjae still wasn't sure if that was a good idea. "Well, what kind of prize do you want?"

Donghae's smile widened as he cheekily said, "I get to steal something of yours at the end of this date."

"What? No!" Hyukjae refused as his hand automatically went towards his back pocket as he backed away from Donghae. His mind not quite connecting the fact that Donghae was a CEO and had absolute no need to pickpocket him. "Why would you want to steal my things?"

Donghae chortled and looked down the path he was supposed to take. He neither confirmed nor denied Hyukjae's accusation since there's really only one thing he would want to "take" from Hyukjae and that was neither his cellphone or his wallet. He looked at him one more time and asked, "Deal?"

Hyukjae was still confused why Donghae would want to steal something from him but he's never been one to back out of a bet. He made a loud huffing noise and said, "Fine. But just one!"

Donghae smirked and mentally prepared himself for his task. It was a shaky start at first as he tried to get his feet off the ground and on the pedals of his bike. It took him two tries to get the right momentum to get on the bike properly and then he had to focus on getting his balance on the bike correctly. Hyukjae watched him a little worriedly, specially when he started wobbling to the side. Donghae had stubbornly refused to wear protective gear, saying that he didn't want to look like an idiot around strangers.

I bet you'd look like a bigger idiot with scratches all over your face. Hyukjae bitterly thought to himself as he watched Donghae struggle to get back on the pavement. His eyes widened with worry when he saw him about to fall and hit the tree, but at the last second Donghae was able to push himself away from it by using his right foot as a stopper. He put his foot against the tree before he could hit it and steered the bike back on its path as he pushed away from the gutter. He wobbled a little more but then his body finally got used to the weight of the bike and was able to balance himself on top of it without shaking. 

Donghae smiled proudly and then looked ahead of him to make sure he doesn't mess up any further. When he successfully steered the bike at the curve he cheered very loudly so Hyukjae can hear him. "Yah! Lee Hyukjae! You can't back out of our deal!"

Hyukjae wanted to be upset and yell back that he tricked him but Donghae looked too happy with his silly childish grin that he couldn't help but purse his lips together so that he didn't show how happy he was to just watch the other. Donghae was about to complete his course and reach Hyukjae when a squirrel suddenly jumped in front of his path. Startled and not quite completely aware on how the breaks of the bike worked, Donghae's first instinct to avoid the animal was to violent steer the bike away from it, which of course resulted in him losing his balance and promptly falling on his side. 

"Donghae!" Hyukjae yelled and ran towards him.

Donghae pushed the bike off his left leg and winced as he felt the pain on his arm. He twisted it a little trying to find the source and saw that he indeed sustain an injury. He frowned at the scrape on his elbow but then Hyukjae was in front of him, kneeling with an obvious worried look on his face. Donghae let Hyukjae grab his arm to look over his injury while his eyes focused on the details of his face.

"Aish! This is why I told you you needed to wear elbow pads!" Hyukjae scolded him and then looked around Donghae's body and face to see if he sustained any other injury. "Does it hurt anywhere else?"

Donghae shook his head and kept staring at Hyukjae. His eyes waiting for Hyukjae to make eye contact with him as the other scanned his face for any other injuries. In all honesty, it didn't even hurt that bad. The initial sting of falling down has now gone away so Donghae could say he was perfectly fine and stop Hyukjae from fussing all over him, but then again, why would he? 

"Are you sure you didn't hit your head?" Hyukjae asked but when he received no answer, he finally gave the latter a proper look and noticed the way Donghae was looking at him. A little taken aback by Donghae's stare, he fumbled over his next words. "W-What? Why are you staring at me like that?"

"Nothing." Donghae smiled kindly and tilted his head a little to the side. "I just like how you're worried about me." 

Hyukjae has no idea why but those words caused a warm funny feeling to spread across his chest. He dropped Donghae's arms on the floor and abruptly stood up to try and hide the blush he felt on his cheeks. Donghae pouted at being let go and picked himself up off the floor. 

"Why'd you let go of my hand?"

Out of instinct, Hyukjae crossed his brows together and tried to scowl at Donghae but it came out more as an awkward mix of bashful embarrassment and forced anger. 

"You're obviously fine if you could still spout such nonsense."

"What nonsense?" Donghae held onto his injured arm as Hyukjae picked up the bike from the ground and started walking it back to the rental place, the latter obviously doing his best to ignore him. "Yah! Why are you ignoring me?"

Hyukjae didn't even look at him when he said, "Because you're an idiot."

Donghae pouted and kept walking behind him. "Isn't that a little mean? I just injured myself."

"And who's fault is that? You're the dummy that refused to wear protective gear."

"It was the squirrel's fault!" Donghae argued. "If it didn't just pop out of nowhere I would have completed the track and I would've gotten my kiss!"

Hyukjae stopped walking and snapped his head around to look at Donghae who's eyes were wide from his slip up. 

"Your what!?"

Donghae cursed his honest tongue in his head and tried to look less creepy in front of Hyukjae by showing him his most dashing toothless smile to charm his way out of whatever trouble he may have walked himself into. "I-I mean...obviously not without your consent but um-"

"Is that what you were going to-" Hyukjae's eyes widened in disbelief when he finally realized what Donghae meant with "steal something" from him. The idea of it was enough to send chills down his spine and for his ears and face to heat up from embar

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter