The Thirdwheel

Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Two weeks had passed since the retreat and two weeks since Donghae and Hyukjae had inadvertently publicly announced their relationship to everybody they worked with. It didn't take long for the news to spread around Donghae's company and its partnered subsidiaries, stirring quite the scandal. It all but lasted a day since Hyori managed to work her magic and the news of the stockholders share increasing by 15% was more than enough distraction from Donghae's current relationship status.

All in all, things were going quite well for everyone. Well...mostly everyone.

Kyuhyun, as supportive and annoying as he has been to Hyukjae, was now faced with the consequence of having to make meals for three now that Donghae's practically all but moved in with them since getting official with Hyukjae. The cooking wasn't so much the problem as it was the third-wheeling. 

So. Much. Third-wheeling. 

Watching Hyukjae and Donghae fight-flirt with each other has ruined dinner time for him. He can't even enjoy the flavor of his own cooking when he's stuck there watching Donghae make goo-goo eyes at Hyukjae while the other pretend like he's not doing the same. 

Ugh. They're so love-sick for each other they should just get married already. Kyuhyun shook the thoughts out of his head and busied himself by carefully stirring the pot in front of him and made sure the water doesn't spill while he mixed in the flavorings for his chicken. He was so focused on what he was doing that when he heard the door bell ring, he couldn't help the grunt of annoyance that came out of him as he shouted for Hyukjae to get it instead.

"Hyukjae! Door!" 

He tried to refocus his attention back onto his cooking but when the doorbell rang again and Hyukjae failed to show any signs that he had heard him, he growled under his breath before walking over to the arch of the kitchen entrance and shouted for Hyukjae to answer the door knowing full well that they only get one visitor. "Hyukjae!" 

Kyuhyun heard a very faint, "I'm in the shower!"  causing him to grumble some more before he turned back to the stove and set it to low heat before dragging his feet towards the door only to feel his right eye twitch when he heard the doorbell ring again. He opened the door, not at all surprised to see Donghae's face on the other side of it, and very blandly greeted him with a small, "Hey," then promptly turning his back on him, intent on going back to his cooking. 

"Hi!" Donghae greeted back with more energy but did take notice of Kyuhyun's foul mood. "Why do you look like you're carrying all of the world's problems?"

Kyuhyun's response was a grunt and barely made a half turn of his body when he replied, "Your boyfriend is busy taking a shower." Kyuhyun glanced up towards one of the carefully placed mirrors in the apartment walls and saw Donghae grinning wildly at his words. He couldn't help but roll his eyes at how whipped Donghae actually was for Hyukjae. "He takes forever to come out of there so we might have to start dinner without him."

Donghae just chuckled at Kyuhyun's exaggeration and decided to give him his surprise present early just to alleviate his bad mood a bit. 

"I have something for you. It might help change your mood a bit."

"Are you finally giving me a million bucks?" Kyuhyun sarcastically asked causing Donghae to laugh some more.

"Uh, no. But if you wait a couple more years from opening this bottle, it could appraise to that amount." Donghae said and pulled the bottle out of the bag he was holding. "This is a 1945 Domaine de la Romanee-Conti. It was gifted to me as a congratulatory present by one of our partners but I don't drink and I know how much you love wine so here," he handed the bottle to Kyuhyun who looked at it with wide eyes of excitement and wonder. "I hope you like it."

"A '45?" Kyuhyun asked in complete awe as though he was looking at a rare piece of diamond. "I heard this sold for half-a-million bucks! Are you sure you want to give it to me?"

Donghae just shrugged his shoulders like it was no big deal. "I mean I could keep it but it would just collect dust in my wine cellar. I figured its best it goes to someone who will actually drink it, or at the very least, appreciate it."

Kyuhyun's breath was completely taken away by the bottle he held in his hand. "Donghae, seriously. If ever it doesn't work out between you and Hyukjae, I'm available." 

The latter just laughed and watched Kyuhyun stalk off to his room still holding the bottle with both hands like a baby. Donghae let him have his alone time with the wine and walked towards the kitchen to see if there was anything he could much on only to find Kyuhyun's leftover pot was already overflowing with boiling water. His eyes widened in shock before following his instincts and ran over to turn the stove off. He lifted the lid off the pot to let some of the steam out and anxiously waited for the water to start to simmer down. 

"Kyu," he heard Hyukjae's voice from behind. "What were you shouting out earlier?"

Donghae smiled when he realized that he had an opportunity to surprise Hyukjae. However, when he turned around to surprise Hyukjae, he was caught off guard by the image of his hair dripping down to his bare chest and a towel that barely covered his lower half. Donghae's breath was caught in his throat and felt his world momentarily stop for a second. He was so awe struck by the other that he had completely forgotten about the steaming pot he was standing next to.

"AH!"  

Hyukjae's eyes widened and flinched himself when he saw Donghae graze his arm against the metal pot. He quickly abandoned the towel he was using to dry his hair in order to tend to Donghae's injury.

"Aish! What are you doing?! You should be more careful!" Hyukjae scolded while dragging him over to the sink to run cold water on his burned arm. 

The latter winced a little at the impact the water had on his skin but that soon became a secondary issue in his mind as his eyes finally landed on Hyukjae's profile and realized that the other was genuinely worried for him. Hyukjae's nagging wavered in the background as he lost himself taking in the other's features and embedding it to memory. 

His sharp nose...porcelain soft skin...gentle brown eyes...red plump lips...

Hyukjae seemed to have realized that Donghae was zoning out on him so he flicked some water his way just to snap him back to reality. 

"Yah! Meongcheong-ah! Snap out of it!" He scolded before leaving his arm under water and crossing his arms across his chest. "Please tell me you have a first aid kit here. We need to put a burn ointment on your arm." 

"Y-Yeah." Donghae cleared his throat while looking away from Hyukjae to hide the heat he felt on his face then shakily pointed a hand towards the end drawer of the kitchen island. "Last drawer. It's in the red bag. Th-There should be one there." 

Hyukjae turned around to follow Donghae's instructions and Donghae swears he couldn't be faulted that his eyes just automatically followed the way Hyukjae's waist swayed side to side. His back looked so flawless and the curve that ran down Hyukjae's back made him want to run his tongue all over it. Donghae felt his twitch at the thought that he ended up looking down and mentally cursing himself for having such thoughts at such an improper moment in time. He awkwardly twisted his hips to hide his growing , as painful as it may be, and tried to laugh off his discomfort. 

Hyukjae pulled the drawer open and sure enough saw a travel sized red bag labeled "emergency" in it that he assumed to contain the first aid kit Donghae

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter