Chapter 13

The Binding Angel

CHAPTER 13

He looked at young Yejin waiting for him in front of her house with an indescribable feeling. He couldn't fulfill his promise to her. Not even a week after this, Hyunbin and his little sister should go to State. They should be in their mother for her treatment. He didn't even know that his mother had already hidden something about her health. The day when his sister was coming to him when he was in Yejin's house, gave shocking news about his mother's sudden collapse and brought to the hospital.

Their bond as a sibling was like a vein with the blood that streaming inside. The stress that burdened him as the only one that could lead the company his father's had, only Hyunmi knew it. Not only studying at school but, he also needed preparing to enter Management and Business at University. He should take over the company when the times come. Meanwhile, he was the free spirit, and being caged the whole day in the house was suffocating him.

His boring life inside home and depressed him made several ways to distract his stress. He started putting color on his hair and piercing his ear. It caused by, when he was roaming the area near his house, he saw gangster with piercing on his ear and it looked cool for teenagers like him.

The school always sent a letter for his parent but it ended being in the trash bin. Fortunately, he was the smartest in the school, so after several attempts of letters and calls, the school had given up on him. And the fact that his father donated at the school.

His mother who was always coming to school to meet the teacher also couldn't do anything other than being sorry. The father was a workaholic and never know about the news, he thought that everything was well-handed, because the most important thing his father always checked was the grade and study report and it was beyond everything he needed to make a future leader. The slight attention from his father didn't give any impact on him, and he just went freely wherever he wants.

His father only needs an excellent grade in school though. Only after that, he found a playmate after roaming the nearest area in his home, he always left the house secretly.

His mother was the one who stressed out him as time goes by, and she always asked the bodyguards to search the place he went for. However, his sibling, Hyunmi always helped him when he was away. Hyunmi would distract their attention to her, other than to Hyunbin.

No one knew where he went other than Hyunmi. No one knew the place he always visited other than Hyunmi. They covered and loved each other deeply. No one can beat their bond.

The time when Hyunmi was coming in front of the house with tears all over her face, signing that there was something bad happened. Hyunmi wouldn't do something those far if she can handle it by herself. It was a time when Hyunbin should cover her that time and left Yejin alone. And it turned out that their mother was collapsed out of sudden.

In the end with his mother's condition, the hospital in Korea couldn't provide the treatment for his mother. His perfectionist father who was so eager for his mother's health, took her to John-Hopkins Hospital to get the best cure for his mother.

The whole family except his father would be flying to States first. His father should complete the works in Korea first before leaving. He would be the one that will fly back and forth to States and Korea to set for his mother and his company.

On the other hand, he was standing far from her house, frozen. He didn't know to bid a farewell to her. He smiled faintly, remembering her last words. 'Why do I feel like this is the last, Oppa?'. She was true. She got that feeling.

He turned away after a long time he mesmerized her from afar and leaving the place.

"Don't you want to bid your farewell, young master?" a man said behind him.

"I don't know if I came to her, I still can go to State or not, Secretary Baek." He walked away with his shattered heart.

*********

Years had passed....

After her mother's death, he and his little sister should be living in the States and continue their education there. His looks were much changed after that.

His father's words to him that he would be the next CEO for their company, change his looks. His busy father who didn't even recognize when they were in Korea, exploded after seeing his appearance. His father who was knowing his schedule in Korea just studying in his room felt he had made a big mistake. Hyunbin's hair was cut by his father's hand and it ended he was being bald and his father throws away the earrings.

His father should build him up to get ready for a business, not a gangster. There he was changed from free and casual Hyunbin into the tidy Hyunbin with short hair with his forehead was exposed and wear a formal suit. He should get used to this appearance sooner or later.

His father's dominancy over the family depressed him for a long, even after he was mature enough to choose his decision. Hyunbin didn't even get the power to blurt out his feeling just for seeing his father's eyes.

"You will get engaged to Seonhwa.." Hyunbin gulped his throat feeling the throb in his heart. He was feeling wrong. He didn't even feel something with her after multiple meetings with her family. His father's dominancy in the room put him into a shiver. He just stays seated on the couch in front of his father's working table. Still, as the son he would put his father's will first then others, especially he got to handle a big company. However, his heart was told differently.

"I am loving someone out there.." he mumbled in a low voice but loud enough to be heard by his father.

"Is loving someone out there will give a good impact on our company?" His sarcastic question shuts his mouth. He realized that Yejin's status would never be a good thing for his company. However couldn't he just keep the balance of the company slowly than being in rush to get something big fast.

For those long, his father's authority in the family couldn't be helped, but it was a good thing for his father to lead such a big company. His father didn't even put any feeling over the logical thing. The one on his mind was benefited over anything. It was caused by there was hundreds of workers under HD Enterprises, and he leads the way. That was why HD Enterprises developed in a short time by his father's lead. That was right when something would always have a good and bad point that followed each decision.

"Can I just live with someone I love?" He said to convince his feeling to his father, trying his luck for the last. He wanted to be a regular man other than a heartless CEO.

"Just live with someone you love, and you won't get any cents from HD Enterprise!" His father's calm, but put so much damage to Hyunbin. His agreement but also disagreement.

******

They flew back to Korea after her little sister graduated and there he was standing in a funeral ceremony with his sister. His father's prediction was right. Hyunbin didn't know when will he took over the company. He should get ready at any time, but as it seemed he wasn't ready at all. The businessmen were coming back and forth yet he still didn't know who are they. He just bowed lightly to them while his sister kept crying beside him.

"You should come to the company tomorrow." Secretary Baek said after giving his tribute to Hyunbin's father. Hyunbin just put on a slight smile on him. He didn't even have the experience to lead such a big company and he should do it soon.

The real hell had come and he should stand strong as the new leader. Not a week after his father's death, the shareholder decided to pull out their shareholdings and HD Enterprises decrease as goes by. His soon to be parents-in-law also canceled the wedding as they didn't put a belief in him since he didn't show any chance on businessman as his father did. He was standing still through the storm with Secretary Baek put his best effort to keep the company still. He started it all from zero. No one would be on his side other than Secretary Baek and Hyunmi.

On other hand, his sister was coming to him and told him that she was pregnant. He was gotten into a turntable. Just at once, he felt that losing someone would give him so much impact.

He smoked his cigarette looking at the opened window in his bedroom, releasing his burden. His new habit after got in such depression. No one would stand beside him gave him a strength other than himself. He should stay sturdy to lead the company and his only family.

His fist that punched the bastard that afternoon got him into endless pain. He should stand beside her no matter what. He would do anything for his family. She was the only one he had this time and soon there would be one on her tummy.

*****

There he was standing in front of the baby's room seeing a small girl baby was sleeping in peace, through the glass. He smiled faintly looking at her. He was still in his black attire after leading the funeral ceremony of his sister. The car accident that she got to meet the baby's father that also the last moment he saw his sister. He couldn't understand anything she did, how can she still want to meet that bastard. He often asked her not to go over him again. He would be the one that will protect her no matter what.

"Your mother is stupid, Nana-ya." He mumbled through the glass with tears that were held in his eyes.

*****

Time after time, he got busy with his two main works. He got a Nanny for her since she was born. He was still needed help. He would always come to her after work. For the first-timer, and also a single to raise a child was very hard. He got help too from Secretary Baek who was always standing beside him. He got stressed like a baby blues for a first-timer mother and he also ever thought that he would end his life up there.

Fortunately, his thought would never happen and thanks to Nana, the main reason he should stay alive. He couldn't even want to leave her alone in this cruel world.

The other fortune was a time when he came to the office seeing a familiar appearance, greeting him with other workers. He still remembered her sight and a star pendant necklace that blinked from afar. He was very sure it was her.

He passed her who was bowing at him. He took a glance at her and saw the nametag, Son Yejin. He almost burst his tears in the office after seeing her. Wishing to hug her and letting out his tears were stopped by his awareness in the office. Other than bursting his tears, he put on a relief smile. He found another reason why he should be still alive.

He always got a good time every morning seeing her smile on him, greeted him. Even it was a formality to that so-called 'Daepyo-nim' and ended not even a minute until he got adapted to leading a company and parenting activities.

******

There was a day when he was standing in front of the restroom seeing her crying in silence before entering the women's restroom. He wanted to approach her badly and passed her to give a hint that he was there. He wanted to give reassurance, but he can't if she didn't even recognize him. He waited for her coming out from the restroom, and she walked in a hurry until she crashed his body. He grabbed her hand quickly to keep her in balance.

She stood up fast and kept bowing on him uttering sorry words to him. She didn't even look at his eyes that long. Her short time looking at him directly twitched his heart. If he could choose, he would pull out the word "Daepyonim" first, other than seeing Yejin didn't recognize him. if it weren't because of those hundreds of people under his company. He smiled bitterly when she left him in hurry again.

---

Hyunbin saw his looks in the mirror in front of him after getting a shower. He pouted his lips and acted like his old self. He inflated his cheek slowly managed to make a face as he did in the past. He suddenly realized that he couldn't inflate his cheeks for the whole day. He sighed lightly.

He then fixed his hair and combed his hair forward in case it could cover his forehead up to his eyes like he used to do. On other hand, his short hair didn't even cooperate with him well. He frowned tried to narrowing his eyes to look like his old self when his eyes were covered with some of his hair.

"Aissh. It is disgusting.." he mumbled.

"Should I buy a wig?" He questioned himself. His eyes then fell on the earring he bought after he got home from work. He tried to adjust earrings on his ear like in the past, but it ended falling from his hand and pierced his finger.

"Aish... why did you style like that in the past?!!" he cursed to himself. The last one that she might recognize ways of speaking. He sighed deeply.

"Yah Yejin-ah... Yah stupid Yejin...ehm eehmm.," he shouted like he used to do and coughed controlling his voice.

"UWAAAA.....WAAAA...." a loud crying from the bedroom stopped him fully.

"Aigoo... Appa is coming..Nana-ya why are you crying?" his voice turned into a soft one in a minute. His new habit and different from the past. And he couldnt just change in a short time.

*****

Years passed and he gave up on changing his looks again to his old habit. He sighed knowing that Yejin would never look back to him again like he used to do. He just mesmerized her from afar. At least, he had a reason to smile in the morning and stay alive no matter what.

Then it came when Nana was hugged by her, his heartbeat faster than ever. He froze on the place when she was protecting Nana. 'Is it time?' He gasped. The worker approached Yejin and Nana brought him back to reality.

"NANA-YAA" he shouted and ran approaching them. There he saw her, kept bowing to him. She didn't even brave to look straight into his eyes. His heartbeat couldn't be managed and he was mesmerized when she was holding Nana with love.

The fact that she was going to hospital grew his curiosity. He accompanied her, intended they could get closer as time goes by. Yejin walked fast to the hospital, just right after they reached the hospital. It made him feel weird. 'Does something happened to her mother?' he thought, remembering that Yejin was just living with her only mother. He followed her steps from afar not going any closer.

The limply Yejin who made him even worrier. He sat on one of the sofas in the hospital, looking at her appearance moving from room to room with Nana on her hug with her panicked face. He just calmly sat in silence.

He saw Yejin leaving the hospital after coming out from the administrator's room. It was his chance, he followed the trace of Yejin's step and looking through the glass the laid body with equipment's on her body. He still remembered her face, it didn't change, but time made it look older.

He then followed the latest trace of her and come to the administrator's room. A man greeted him and let him sit in front of him.

"What can I do for you, Mr?" The man asked Hyunbin after he got seated.

"Son Yejin's mother..." he blurted out his question in a daze still shocked seeing her mother's condition.

"Ahhh... you're her husband.." the man tried to approach the patient's family with warmth, but it looked weird for Hyunbin.

"Your daughter is pretty.." he added. Hyunbin couldn't disagree with his statement but 'Nana is his daughter'.

"How much it cost?" Hyunbin asked him turning out the focus. The man smiled brightly and explained the treatment that should be done as fast as it can. Hyunbin listened to every single word meticulously to understand the condition.

"Let me pay it.." he grouped his wallet and gave him a black card to pay the administration. He didn't want to see Yejin losing someone whom she loved for the whole life. He just can't stand seeing the view of someone lose their most precious person. He had experienced its times and it would break him more if she was also seeing it.

The man processed the payment fast and gave Hyunbin a form to sign. He did it fast without even thinking twice.

---

He grabbed two cans of chocolate drink, after solving the payment of Yejin's mother. The drink he got the first time when he met her. He froze for a while looking at the appearance of Yejin straying her sight far, looking at the hospital while patting Nana who was sleeping on her hug. His heartbeat irregularly and tried to take small steps toward her. However, he stopped after taking two steps. He exhaled his breath deeply, he should prepare himself that he would be recognized by her after giving these hints. He should act naturally. ' I am your oppa..' he uttered on his heart.

Excuse me.. he said with his deep voice. She looked at him and tried to stand up fast to greet him again. 'If you know me, you wouldn't do that.' he sighed on his thought.

"It's okay, just sit! he smiled and took a seat beside her, he opened a can of chocolate drink and lend it to her. She looked at him at first and turned her face away fast. He was longing at her stare, there it came, 'please, you know me!' he wanted to shout it louder.

Hyunbin smiled faintly on his heart knowing that his position intimidated her much. The CEO position and front officer had a big gap and he should know that.

Thank you, Kim Hyun Bin -Daepyonim... Yejin took the can slightly bowing. Hyunbin just let out a slight smile, opening his drink and take a gulp.

I must be the one who says thank you, he smiled looking at the can in his hand. I dont know what drink you will like, so I take chocolate instead. It because I couldnt think of any kind of drink other than chocolate.." He chuckled want to make a bias on his hint with his silly reason. She didn't even want to look straight at his eyes and made him giving up to greet her as her 'Oppa'. It wasn't good timing to talk about his existence while he was the one who left her. And also he was the one that almost marrying someone else.

Its fine, daepyonim. She took a gulped of the drink he gave in a manner way in front of him.

Ah, right! I dont know your name yet. He added making another bias and acted like they were the first-timer who just knowing each other.

I am Son Yejin, daepyonim ! she said nervously. 'I know' he thought.

The chance he could get closer to her made him greedy. He wanted to accompany her to her home. The home that he also missed so far.

----

His nervousness since he saw her hugging Nana, aroused his ego. He wanted to be bubbly like he used to be with her. However, seeing her being intimidated by his position, made him holding up himself.

Son Yejin-ssi, the front officer right? he said out of nowhere breaking the ice when they were on the way home in the car. Like he used to be, he couldn't stop his bubbliness in front of her.

'Crap'

He gulped his throat realizing what he was just said a moment ago. He hoped that she didn't even realize what he had said. He always knew her greeted him and who wouldn't realize when she was always in the front to greet you and also you were longing for her that long.

Ne, Daepyonim! she mumbled, still in a daze.

Thank you so much, Son Yejin-ssi. Its a relief knowing that Nana was saved. It almost makes me got a heart attack. He chuckled trying to hide his nervousness in front of her and want to divert her focus on another theme.

It's okay daepyonim. Yejin still keeps her eyes down not knowing how to do. He exhaled his breath in silence.

-----

Time passed by and Nana brought her closer to him. Now, she was spending time more on his small apartment raising Nana. Still, even though she was in his apartment, she couldn't look straight on him. It always ended that it didn't reach her eyes while looking at him. The word 'Daepyo-nim' gave a big impact on separating their ways to get closer even they were in the same space. He cursed slightly on his heart when she always diverted her gaze fast looking at his eyes.

*******

"The first time you came, I am being delusional.." he confessed his feeling, but she remained calm. She then the rice cooker to warm the rice. He straightened his back and clasped his hand together on his laps.

"I am sorry Yejin-ssi... I couldn't hold it any longer.." he couldn't stop his feeling again. Holding back was the most dangerous choice. The urge to confess always lingering on his head every day she was around. He wanted to shout to her that he was her Oppa. He realized what she was talking about in the past. 'What is the difference of telling her now or later, when you will spill it anyway.' It was also his deepest remorse that he was still keeping his name himself than blurting out directly on her. Just if he did what she says, they might reunite faster than ever.

But, it was also his consequences. He should wait until she realized, that he was her Oppa by herself. Bad luck was on his side again. His looks were much different than his past looks. He realized that he shouldn't waste any time when it came to him. 'Right, Yejin is right!' he sighed after experiencing his sharp pain in his heart when she put a clear line between them. He stood so close to her but he couldn't even reach her. Just right, she waited for him as her past Oppa, not Daepyo-nim, nor Hyunbin, the name that she didn't even know.

The silence remained longer and Yejin couldn't turn her back facing him who was sitting on the sofa.

"I know that you come all the way here, because of Nana." He still remembered she offered herself on raising Nana. She truly helped him much. Even she didn't recognize him, it was still okay. At least she was being near him. At least, Nana who brought her close to him. At least he could spend the most time with her. Even she wasn't brave enough just to look into his eyes.

" Am I too greedy?? If I also want you to come here for me.." his heart started twitching on his confession. The whole 2 months of holding, not even 2 months but years. He fell too deep already. Yejin froze at the place where she was standing.

"The first time you came, when you were hugging, treating, and calming Nana brought me into endless delusion. You are acting like her Mother for Nana, but for me, it wasn't...The times when you also treat me well like you treat Nana, burdened me too much. I couldn't help myself from falling I know that I am not the best person for you...I am raising a child with me...but I can't help myself from falling... I tried not to fall but it turned that I fall deeper..." He sighed after bursting his grudges. The time when Yejin treated him and touched his face exploded the bomb he was keeping for so long. He meant his words, the bomb he was keeping for years started tickling when she came. It tickled faster when he was near her and her touch turned the tickles into a massive explosion.

"Hyunbin... I want you to call my name...Like other would do.." his voice became closer to her, but she tends to be in her place, managing her breath from the sudden confession. He felt that she was nervous. Not only her but also him.

Knowing she would do nothing, his muscular hand turned off the stove which made her freeze in her place.

"I am sorry... if it gives a burden for you... I hope it wouldn't make you change your mind about helping me raising Nana... I am sorry" he sighed knowing his confession was rush. Her frozen body twitched his heart.

"No... wouldn't..." she turned her body facing him being triggered when she heard about Nana. She just turned her body not her sight to him. It worsened his heart.

"I can't hold it any longer.." he said as his mind told him 'I've already tired Yejin-ah! I miss you!'.

" I am sorry.." he carefully put his hand on her cheek and lifted her face to face him. He closed the gap on their lips and stopped for a while when it almost touched hers. He saw the way she was blinking her eyes nervously and grabbed her clothes tightly. She was nervous and not looking into his eyes. She was scared of Daepyo-nim in front of her.

Until he crashed their lips slowly and giving her a small move on her lips. He wanted to throw himself to her. He wanted to burst his grudges. He wanted her soft hand caressed his hair giving reassurance when he was down. He wanted to play a joke with her like he used to do.

He gulped his own throat when he didn't receive any response from her after times of enjoying the taste of her lips. 'Is it because he wasn't her Oppa?' his heart scrunched hard.

He chose to loosen up his lips giving up on his feeling when suddenly her lips tried to capture his with her small move on his lips. His hard breath could be heard and he brought their lips closer and deepened the kiss with both hands. 'Thank you Yejin-ah!' he said on his heart and started her lips tightly.

His lips covered hers and she tried to catch his fast yet soft lips movement hastily. Naturally, her hands grabbed his arms searching for her balance. Her feet go weaker and their lips became wilder. 'please, you know me Yejin-ah!' he kept repeating the words in his heart.

'You already know me, right?' his heart kept repeating those words hoping that she knew him after feeling Yejin also replied to his kiss deeply.

"Daepyo-nim.." Yejin suddenly stopped their kiss to get some air when her hand touched his chest to hold him being too much closer to her, realizing the tension that grew up between them. He smiled bitterly with her words. She still didn't recognize him.

He put his forehead on hers, managing his uncontrollable breath and his hands fell on her shoulders rubbing it slowly.

"I will give you a time until you willingly call me with my name.." he sighed feeling a relief. At least, she was comfortable around him whether she still thought that he was Daepyo-nim not her Oppa. He would be anyone Yejin would be comfortable with and he will keep waiting for her as she did in the past.

*******

Epilogue

"Hello, Yejin-ssi. I can't go home tonight. I have a sudden meeting." he said with his phone on his ear. He sat on the chair beside Yejin's mother's bed slowly not making a sound.

"Oh.. its fine daepyo-nim... I will get a sleepover." She replied calmly as it was slowly turned to be a habit that Yejin went to the apartment for a sleepover.

"Thank you Yejin-ssi.." he hangs up the phone fast and looking at Yejin's mother's face.

"I am sorry Eomo-nim. I make her overworked again." he smiled lightly at her.

"I think Yejin would be at the safest on your place, other than being alone in the house." she chuckled.

"I think you will scold me.." he exhaled his breathe making a sign that he was relieved.

"Yah.. you are still being nosy to her. But, it is strange that she doesn't recognize you. Is she stupid?" She laughed seeing her daughter's response.

"She is not stupid, eomonim. She is innocent," he said with his flush red face.

"Aigooo... You love her that much. Go get her then.." she supported him. He handed a slice of apple from her bedside table to her.

"I will Eomo-nim.. but I still scared to face her," he remembered the way he broke his promise and also almost marry to Seonhwa.

"I understand. It might be hard for you and her to meet after that long with your drastic change. Slowly, take your time, Son." she said casually.

"Oh noo. Kim Hyunbin Daepyo-nim.," she added teasing him.

"Eomo-nim.." he laughed with her.

He would gladly spend his time in the hospital with her mother. It was the only way to develop their relation deeper. He wanted to make Yejin being comfortable, living in his apartment before he started to make a move. He wanted to make Yejin get used to him like in the past before he can hug her as a whole.

----

He went home after passing the limited time of visitor in the hospital. It was almost past midnight when he reached his apartment. He entered slowly not making any sound, knowing that Nana and Yejin must be asleep. He put his tie, suit, and bag on the sofa lightly and went inside Nana's bedroom carefully.

It was his habit back then to see Nana's face before he got to sleep. However, it was added by Yejin's appearance. He smiled lightly seeing her laptop was remained open. He took a look at the screen which showed a written story by her. When he got much time and didn't get too tired he would read it in silence. However, her diary was the most interesting one. The diary told her as the main character of the story. It wasn't a story but her unspoken feeling. The deepest feeling was written in neat handwriting.

He took Nana's small chair and sat not making any sound. He closed the laptop after shutting it down and he reached for a diary beside the laptop. The blue covered diary she wrote.

He read each line meticulously and it twitched his heart. He succeeded in making her loving to his new appearance. But, he was also making her confused with her feeling. She told the story of her meeting with him and Nana. It was well-written by her. He didn't get bored reading the diary for times. Because it still made him flutter. He was happy but also sad at the same time. Reading her diary made him want to confess that he was her Oppa. On other hand, he didn't know how to start when she was scared looking at his eyes. He wanted her to drop her formality to him. He wanted her to call him with his name that might slowly make her dropped off her formality.

Nana sudden whine took him back to reality. He closed the diary and put it back fast and reached for Nana in silence. He sat on the bedside slowly not making a massive movement and started patting Nana's back slowly who was sleeping on the near the wall side of the bed. Yejin who was sleeping on the side near the way that makes his thigh touched her back when he was sitting.

"Shhhhh....shhhhh..." he soothed Nana and she stopped whining in a second. On other hand, Yejin was still on a deep sleep beside Nana. He was mesmerized by her beauty and frozen looking at her.

He didn't even imagine this view will be in his apartment. The diary took him into deep thought.

"What should I do?" he mumbled in a low voice.

"Can I even start?" he wiped a strain of her hair that covered her face slowly. He went to her closer slowly, and he kissed her temple.

"I am sorry. I am here," he whispered in the hope she would understand his existence as her past Oppa.

– to be continued-

Author’s note:

Thank you for reading and supporting ^^

Hope you like it ^^

Kindly check my other stories Through Their Lenses and The Luckiest. ^^