Chapter 8: You hide it so well

Your Weird Mourning

Dahyun sat in silence while her heart cannot reach an ultimatum. The matter being slept upon cannot make her heart feel at ease at all. She keeps on trying to slow down her breathing so as to not disturb the sleeping girl, the moment she would reach that goal, Sana would stir up in her sleep instead that would make her heart panic again. She would even raise both hands to hug her waist and would drag her head nuzzled close to her abdomen.

 

It was truly peculiar that it frightens her!

 

In her bashful state, she called in a soft tone, "Sana-unnie."

 

Hearing that there's no response, she didn't know whether to be relieved or be frustrated more. And she doesn’t know what her next step was. Even if she focused herself in the series that played on TV, she knew an important plot that twisted the story events. The female side character that was extremely good and helpful to the main protagonist would die in the hands she doesn't know and don't want to know. She couldn't watch thinking that there's such pitiable cannon fodder!

 

After being tired from thinking over such things, she turns off the TV and relaxes her stiff body. She stays still for minutes yet Sana hasn't still tried to open her eyes hence she decided to bring forth her fingers to nudge her cheek silently wishing that she would wake up. “Secretary Sana, what are you clinging on me for?”

 

Sana would move but it was to get closer to her instead. She next targeted Sana’s shoulder, “Sana-unnie, I know it’s Saturday tomorrow and you could sleep here. But it’s better to sleep in the guest room.”She keeps on tightening her hands on Dahyun’s waist and would give a hum once she's more nestled comfortably.

 

 Dahyun gave up with a sigh, she was thinking of a pastime and saw her phone from the table and grabbed it. Moments later, Sana shivered and it didn’t escape Dahyun’s eyes.  She observed Sana having her knees raised leveled to her stomach. It seems her body subconsciously started to be aware of her cold surroundings. That's why she put an end to her jubilation in her heart and tried to remove Sana’s hands from her waist after coaxing her like a child that she needs to sleep in her room which takes extra minutes for being so slow and soft. Then she held Sana's head both in her hands and slowly stood up and placed her head carefully on the sofa. She made sure to be really careful as if her life depended on it, she wouldn't even breathe just to make sure to not make a sound. Seeing that she was successful, she waited for minutes first in case Sana would wake up.

 

She then quietly stands up to finish what her original plan was and avoid catastrophe to be lost in the moment by staring at her secretary. She goes into her room and pulls a quilt in her cabinet. It took her some time for first cursing herself to not know where she did put this kind of stuff and for trying to find a good quality quilt. Finally, she found one that was long, light and fluffy so she was satisfied. When she returned, she couldn't see where she stepped into due to the quilt blocking her line of sight so she pulled it in her side and focused on her steps instead. She's sure that she didn't make a sound at her footsteps but when she reached the sofa, a solemn eye was already staring fixedly at her when she raised her head.

 

"Oh.. you're awake?" Dahyun strengthened her grasp on the quilt and stood still in her spot. Her gaze lingers at her to observe then she tentatively asks, "How did you feel?"

 

Sana raised her eyelids and gave a smirk, "What do you mean with this question, what do you think I should feel?"

 

Dahyun: "..." Great! Still the sober Sana Minatozaki.

 

The blanket was thrown by her, she explained after deliberation, "I went to my room to sleep but remembered to adjust the air conditioner first."

 

Dahyun's home was climate-zoned so there's no need to adjust the room temperature, this made Sana have her doubts.  After saying her explanation, she turned her head away and continued, "forget it, I'll give this to you. You might keep waking up because you're not comfortable, it's very cold at night. You're my guest, after all."

 

After Dahyun said what just spouted at , she turned her back and made her way to her room.

 

Sana called her, "come back."

 

Dahyun paused in her steps and looked back at her, "What?"

 

Sana embraced the blanket in her hands and properly placed it on her lap, she patted the sofa in the position next to her, "let's talk."

 

Dahyun: "..." Why do you look so terrible?! And what is there to talk about?

 

The phrase 'let's talk' carried a chill in Dahyun's heart. When she was still educated at her home, it was always what her father always said to her first that led to serious matters so it carried a shadow in her heart. Dahyun carried the stupefied feeling in her heart and sat down nervously, "T-talk.. what is it?"

 

Sana felt refreshed after sleeping for a while but there’s still a bit of dizziness from drinking. She held up her head and said, “You see, I have this problem. Scratch that, a situation rather... And I want to ask for your advice, Dahyunnie.”

 

Dahyun raised her head to look at the one who asked a request. Thinking about it, it was always her confiding in her Unnie, it was time for her to get back on her too. Dahyun smiled sincerely, no longer nervous, “All right, anything, it’s fine. As long it’s something I know.”

 

Sana looked into her eyes, “That is.. Do you have someone you like?”

 

Dahyun’s back stiffened and tried hard to not let the horror in her heart show in her expression. She gave an inaudible breath and replied then in her natural poise. “Well, you know, do I even have time to think about things like that? I’m focusing on my career at the moment.”

 

Sana gave a sigh in her heart. She’s insensitive with feelings and did not know Dahyun’s thoughts about her. But Dahyun was hidden so deeply that she almost forgave herself for not knowing. She pondered why her boss was so adamant in hiding her true feelings. She couldn’t understand the fear in Dahyun’s heart, as if she had made a great mistake.

 

Sana moved closer and shared an expression that was about to gossip, “I’m going to tell you something. Swear to not tell anyone else.”

 

Dahyun stared blankly and nodded, “Okay, I won’t.”

 

Sana smiled then asked her with a curious tone, “there’s this person who likes me for some time. I know the other’s feelings but it’s not because she told me and I didn’t tell her that I know. Say, what do you think is the reason that she still didn’t tell me?”

 

Dahyun panicked inside that maybe her secret love was already discovered. But she cannot risk herself confessing that maybe there’s really another person and that would make both of them awkward, letting down Sana in the process. After some thoughts, she heard her voice, “who is this person?”

 

Sana looked away and leaned on the sofa. “You don’t know, but you can help me analyze her psychologically.”

 

Her concerns that the person they talk about was her was dispelled. But Dahyun felt even more uncomfortable. There’s a person who likes Sana and she didn’t know who, also asking her about this means that she’s interested in that person.

 

After a moment of silence, Dahyun's mood turned low and said to her, “There’s many possible reasons, that person may be too ugly and wasn’t confident enough.”

 

Sana shook her head and was sure of her answer, “Impossible, she’s very good-looking, very beautiful, and she’s oozing with confidence in what she stands for.”

 

Dahyun’s heart began to drown in sour water. “Then maybe she doesn’t actually like you so much but you thought she did. She didn’t tell you personally, right? Then maybe it was not romantically ‘like’ but appreciative ‘like’.”

 

This was even more impossible. Sana gave a faint smile and shook her head, “No, I’m sure that she likes me, romantically.”

 

Dahyun was even more unhappy, she gritted her teeth, “Then she’s a coward, too timid to show her face to you. She’s afraid of losing face or never getting along with you again.”

 

When she said this, Dahyun hung her eyes to cover her loss. While Sana looked at her thoughtfully. “Yes, it turned out to be this reason.”

 

Dahyun immediately raised her head and tried her best to discredit her potential rival. “Sana-unnie, let me tell you something, if this person likes another person, it would be completely unbearable. There must be some hidden clues, if this person did not tell you all this time that she likes you, she most certainly doesn’t like you that much, or there are hidden diseases and doesn’t dare chase you.”

 

Sana gave an expression that she’s listening carefully and was agreeing.

 

Dahyun continued to think and moved a little to her side. She was calm on the surface but was worried to death on the inside. She pretended with a light-hearted appearance. “Oh, unnie, you don’t like that person, right?

 

Sana blinked and didn’t speak.

 

Dahyun was stunned and tightened. “Do you really like the other person?”

This question was spoken impulsively without her brain registering it. But the other’s silent response made her regret it a lot that she even asked.

 

Sana smiled at her as if in a good mood. “I don’t know, but I like to give it a try. Although, I never thought about this matter before and avoided it a lot but if it’s her, I think… it would be good.”

 

Finished expressing her thoughts, Sana’s smile deepened. “As my immediate supervisor, my junior and friend, do you have any suggestions for me?”

 

Dahyun: “...” Yes! Stay away from this person!