The End of a New Beginning [final]

Yoong Oppa
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: long chapter ahead~

 

 

 

 

Yoong woke up unexpectedly upon hearing his phone vibrating next to him. He stirred on Seohyun sleeping peacefully as well before sitting up and picked up his phone.

 

"Omma."

 

[You still in that theme park?]

 

"Yes." He yawns so big while rubbing gently his right ear. "Wae?"

 

[It's almost 8! You should get back here now!]

 

"Omo, chincha?" Yoong check the wall clock and just then, he also realized it's only them left in a public sauna. "Aish, I'll see you later Omma." He hastily hangs up and shake Seohyun up. "Seohyun-ah, it's time to go. We only have few hours left to the graduation."

 

Seohyun slowly got her conscious back. But she only groan and the other side, back facing the doe-eyed.

 

"Come on, aren't you going to graduate with me?" Yoong felt like they're in a trouble.

 

Seohyun lazily sits and pouted. "I'm not certain yet though."

 

"Didn't your mom told us that you're still going to school tomorrow? Let's not waist time." Yoong got on his feet and got her hands to pull her up. "We'll be really late if we don't prepare ourselves." He picked up their backpacks and got his girlfriend's hand back and started her out.

 

"I'm hungry, Yoong-ah." Seohyun let out a huge yawn while lazily walking out with the doe-eyed. The sun that's brightly shining upon them, greeted them as they continued their way to the exit of the theme park. But they haven't even reached it when they saw her parent's car, pulling over in front of them.

 

"Yah! Pali!" Mrs. Seo get out of the car to gesture them to come.

 

Yoong quickly bowed and push his lazy girlfriend inside the car. "She just woke up, Mr. and Mrs. Seo. I'm sorry." He apologized for Seohyun's lack of response.

 

"There's a breakfast!" Seohyun however chirped when she saw the bag of food on the counter.

 

"Yes. We're heading straight to the school." Mrs. Seo informs as she handed it to them at the backseat. "Eat a lot. It's going to be a long day."

 

"Thanks, Mrs. Seo. We'll enjoy this." Said Yoong, sharing the lunch box to his girlfriend. "But... aren't we going to shower yet? And my mother is waiting for me."

 

"We called her already. She's heading to the school as well. She'll wait for us there." Mr. Seo informed as well, flashing a small smile to the doe-eyed but dropped it to see his daughter is not paying attention. She's focusing on her food rather. But it brought an amuse smile to his face, as he find her adorable as aways.

 

"We really should bring them home to have a shower." Mrs. Seo agrees with the doe-eyed.

 

"No problem about that. We just need to speed off to reach home as soon as possible." Mr. Seo agreed right away as he speeds off int he processes.

 

"Thank you, Mr. and Mrs. Seo." Yoong gratefully says as he smiles brightly.

 

"Omma, it's really just okay if I go there?" ask Seohyun while her moth is full.

 

"Whether they like it or not, you're going. You have all the right as the top student." Mrs. Seo explained, determined to bring her daughter to get what she deserves.

 

"Your mother is right." Mr. Seo and Yoong chorused which made both of them smile to one another.

 

Seohyun nodded and smile brightly back to them before returning to her food.

 

'It's good she looks brighter than last night now.' Yoong thought, recalling how one text message from her mother made her really depressed. But he was there, giving her assurance and cheerful messages. He's positive she and him are graduating at the same time.

 

 

:::

 

[school]

 

 

"Omeoni!" call Yoong brightly once he spotted his mother, sitting in one of the benches in their park. He is jogging towards her while waving his arm in the air. "Omo, have you been waiting?" He quickly asks her when he reached her.

 

Mrs. Im got up and hug her son tightly. "Congratulations, my son!" She greeted her happily.

 

"Thank you Omma. This is all for you. But I'm not yet done. I will make it up to you everything you've sacrifice for me." Yoong promise as he returns the hug. He felt so encaustic later not only for himself but for his mother as well.

 

"Wait." Mrs. Im immediately pulled back and handed her son the paper bag.

 

"What is this?" Yoong took it and raise his eyebrows when he found a box.

 

"Open it. My graduation gift for you." Mrs. Im smiled excitedly.

 

Taking the box out, Yoong took his seat and so as his mom as he opened it. His eyes doubled when a pair of leather shoes greeted his eyes. "Omeoni!" He literally yelled at his mother in disbelief.

 

"Yah, you've been using that shoes for four years in high school. You deserve a new one." Mrs. Im explained right away.

 

"Aish, where did you get the money?" Yoong questioned.

 

"It saved for this. All the money I spent for this came from my hard work. So, wear it today, araso?" Mrs. Im smiled warmly as he holds her son's face. "I've been so proud of you; don't you know that?" She softly says as she felt emotional and tears couldn't be stop from dropping.

 

Yoong hastily brought his mother into his embrace. "Thank you, Omeoni." He said gratefully while rubbing her back. He didn't really think she has saved for something. It makes her felt so proud of her and loved. But at the same, determined to return everything she gave. If not for her, he won't last until senior high. Every struggle, sacrifices and exhaustion has paid off. And he promises to keep going on.

 

Mrs. Im sniffles and wipes her tears away minutes later. She pulled back and Yoong wipes the remaining tears. "Let me put that on." She took the box and crouch down in front of her son to help him wear it instead. But as soon as he untied his right shoe, the latter avoided her.

 

"I... I can do it." Yoong got alarmed as he pulled his feet away from her.

 

"No. Let me put the shoes on you, hmm?" Mrs. Im smiled, hoping her simple request will be granted.

 

"O-okay... " Hesitant, Yoong returned his feet back but his heart fluttering. Even though not the first time, but he always felt so loved when his mother does it. 'Thank you, Omma. I promise I won't let you down.'

 

Meanwhile, Seohyun and her parents are in the detention's office. They've been siting there for 30 minutes since they arrived. The graduation ceremony is staring in two hours which is making them impatient. Mr. Kang doesn't know they're waiting however, while he's still out there, talking with the few members of the school committee.

 

"Omma, this is really going to take some time." Seohyun is as anxious as her parents. She'd been glancing to her wrist watch wishing the time stops.

 

"We'll wait, araso?" Mrs. Seo firmly asks.

 

"Yes." Nodding, Seohyun let out an anxious exhale as she glances to her phone and check the time. Yoong as her lock screen is somehow comforting her aside from her parents being like an army with their support.

 

 

:::

 

 

"There's only an hour left. Aren't they coming yet?" Mrs. Im check her time and look around while she and her son are outside the theater along with the other graduates and their parents.

 

"The school is being stubborn Omma." Yoong sighs frustratingly. He could already see Sohee nearby, talking animatedly with Seulgi. 'Look who's being like an evil witch. As if she didn't do anything to ruin someone’s graduation.'

 

"Should we enter the theater now, Yoong?"

 

"Let's wait for a while, Omma."

 

"Aigoo, you really don't want to enter without her?" Mrs. Im smiled sweetly to her son, giving him a brief tap on his cheek. "Don't worry, they'll be here in a while."

 

Yoong smiled shyly back at his mother. 'Hopefully.' But his heart is beating nervously.

 

"Oppa, Seohyun's come?" Seulgi approached him after Sohee left inside.

 

Shaking his head, Yoong sighs. "I feel so unfair. By the way, Omma, this is Seulgi, one of my classmates. Seuli-ah, my mom."

 

"It's nice to meet you, Mrs. Im." Seulgi bowed and stretched her hand out.

 

"Nice to meet you too, Seulgi-ssi." Mrs. Im gladly shake hands with the young lady. "It's nice to know my son has a lot of female friends." She couldn't help and mention.

 

"Yah, Omma, it's not because I only introduce you to my male friends that doesn't mean I don't have female friends." Yoong chuckled as he defends himself.

 

"You guys are cute." Seulgi giggles. "By the way, any updates of Seohyun? Oppa?"

 

Yoong shake his head and pouted.

 

"I actually told Sohee about that but she keeps changing the topic."

 

"Tsk, she would definitely do that." Yoong sighs in disappointment. He checks his watch again and look around.

 

"But I'm sure Seohyun will have the change to graduate as well. That's totally unfair for her part when she wasn't the one who asked for answers."

 

"I know right? Aish, I will forever curse them if they don't let her graduate with us." Yoong warned seriously.

 

Seulgi chuckled softly. "I thought you sound like her boyfriend for a second, Oppa."

 

"Am I?" Yoong slightly blush.

 

"He's really the boyfriend, you don't know Seulgi?" Mrs. Im suddenly butted unconsciously. Her son widened his eyes towards her which made her eyebrows rising. "Wae?"

 

Seulgi is confused. "B-boyfriend? So... "

 

"No!" Yoong exclaimed as he got panic. "Omma is being playful. Right, Omeoni?"

 

"Yes?" Mrs. Im is still so confused.

 

"Yep, she's just jokes. Hahahha" Yoong laugh so awkwardly. "Uh, should we head inside now? Look, our teacher has already asked us." And he hastily changes the topic as he noticed Teacher Kang is now opening the door for seniors to get inside.

 

Both Seulgi and his mother's attention shifted to where he is pointing and eventually complied. Yoong couldn't help and sigh in relief but he still couldn't get his mind off on the fact that the Seo hasn't shown their selves. He however couldn't let her mom go inside without him.

 

-

 

30 minutes before the ceremony starts, Yoong received a message from Seohyun.

 

Seohyun ♥: They're being hard headed. We're still not seeing any members of the comittee here :(

 

"Aish. How can they do this to a top student?" Yoong loudly shared his thoughts, earning a look of surprise from his mother.

 

"Did Seohyun texted you?" Mrs. Im got concerned as well. "Should I check on them?"

 

"It's useless, Omma. They're treating them like a ghost." Yoong sighs frustratingly. His eyes suddenly landed to the mic on the stage and felt the urge to upstage and do something. But he thought it will only worsen the situation. "Aish." So instead, he replied to Seohyun.

 

Hang in there. If they still don't show up, you and your parents should be here now. You all have the right to do be here and go up on stage for a speech as our top student :)

 

He put her phone back to his pocket but only to get it back when his phone vibrates.

 

Seohyun ♥: Thank you, Yoong Oppa~ I love Yoong~

 

He couldn't help and smile with how adorable her response. He feels like he doesn't have to worry and replied, 'I love you too, my hyun~'

 

"We're about to start in ten minutes." The announcer suddenly made an announcement. "Please return to your designated seats."

 

"I'll see you later honey." Mrs. Im said as she gives her son a pat on his shoulder and left him to her seat at the back, where parents are assigned.

 

Yoong smiled as he looked back on his mother. He once again checks his phone to see if he received a reply but there's nothing since he replied to her. He just patiently waited until he received a call rather. Even though they aren't allowed to leave once inside, he got up and quietly left the theater to answer his phone call. "Seohyun-ah? How's everything there?"

 

[I think-]

 

But the phone call hangs up. "What? What it ended?" He got panic and he decided to run to the next building. He went straight to the detention's director's office but just as he arrived, he saw Mr. and Mrs. Seo outside without their daughter. "Where's... Seohyun, Mr. Seo?"

 

"Inside, talking with Mr. Kang. I think they're apologizing with her for the delay." Mr. Seo sighs, disappointingly.

 

"Wait, so she's really graduating?" Yoong got brighten upon hearing it.

 

Mrs. Seo shakes her head instead. "We couldn't tell yet. But it's good that they did apologize earlier."

 

"I see. But that's a good progress." Yoong is still positive.

 

"Isn't the ceremony starting now? Why are you here?" ask Mr. Seo when it crosses his mind.

 

"Not yet. But I won't return without Seohyun." said Yoong with a determined face.

 

"Yoong, thank you but you have to go there. I'm pretty sure we will follow." Mrs. Seo is flattered but she couldn't let another person get involve with such trouble.

 

"It's okay, Mrs. Seo-"

 

"Yoong!"

 

Everyone turned their heads to the source of the voice only to see Yoong's mother is jogging towards them.

 

"Why did you follow, Omma?" Yoong meet with his mother halfway.

 

"The ceremony is starting. You should get back there before your name will be called." Mrs. Im told her son as she also bowed her head to the Seo's nearby.

 

"Go ahead Yoong, Will follow in a bit."

 

Contemplating, Yoong had no choice but to go with his mother. "Please call me if anything happens." He however wanted them to call him before he left with his mother.

 

 

:::

 

 

It took only fifteen minutes into the start of the ceremony when Seohyun entered the theater, quietly. She lowered herself as she headed to her seat and had to excuse on her way until she settles down.

 

"Omo, Seohyun-ah!" Seulgi smiled so big when she saw Seohyun before her who just took her seat. She's behind her, happy to see her finally. "Good timing, the president is still having his speech. So happy to see you~"

 

Seohyun turned her head behind and smile. "Thanks, Seulg-ah." But her smile disappears when she saw Sohee from behind which made her compose herself. Her smile however returns when Yoong spotted her, giving her two thumbs up. She giggles and composed herself right away as she returned her attention to the president. It felt she has gone to a war but it was all worth it after they give them the confirmation, she's free to go to the graduation ceremony. Now she's more than ready to take on the stage later for her speech in front of all graduates.

 

 

-

 

 

Standing in front of the fellow graduates, Seohyun on a big smile as she eyed few students, faculty members, parents and guardians. It's an overwhelming feeling to finally be standing in front of them especially that all of them are wearing big smiles on their faces.

 

Clearing , she opened mouth and speak, "Good afternoon, on behalf of the senior class I want to thank few people of Jeonju High for making the school excellent. To the board, the administration, we thank you for being there for us when help is needed... to the faculty, who give your each and every day, laboring, provide us with your tremendous education and pushing us to do our best even on the days that we don't want to learn. We thank you. To the staff, who worked tirelessly, coordinating our lives and events, we thank you. To the student council, the members and the faculties, who never failed to protect the right of every students, we thank you. To the detention director, Mr. Kang, who sometimes couldn't handle the students but is always patient and always hear us out... We thank you. To each member, each family, representing senior class whose support and education has not been overlooked. We thank you, especially the parents and guardians... who have paid for and supported us throughout our education. We thank you and we love you... " She pause and smile as everyone clapped their hands. "Standing in front you right now as your class valedictorian is a dream come true. Last year, I was told that I can be the top student... So, I work for it, I sacrifice for it and I really stressed for it. And yeah, after hearing I won it, I was like Yeah! I Did it! But honestly, I never think I would reach this event after some circumstances that happened as the graduation day comes closer... But after a proper talk... and solution, I can say I, Seo Joohyun, is proud and proud of each one of you right now for reaching this far and achieve your dream to finish high school....

 

...I want you all to pat your shoulders and say, "Good job. You did a good job and state your name." She pauses and watch as everyone did as what she instructed. They were all smiling proud. "Yes! We all did a very good job especially those who almost didn't graduate. It was a tough challenge... You were all stressed out and almost gave up. But it was all worth it, right? To be finally sitting your seat, wearing the hat, the toga and our brightest smile. Like we have won a lottery. It's our day so smile brightly. It's a long day of celebration...

 

... But standing here, watching each one of you also makes me emotional. Looking back, we have shared laughter, smiles, and although it's tough, we're doing it together. We make sure that no one is left behind. There are fights, misunderstanding, upsets... but at the end of it, we make up and open our hearts for people that deserves it. Our relationship with our teachers is never been this solid. We have always their side when we needed it... which we are always grateful for. I will miss being a high school student... high school memories are a treasure for me...

 

However, as I look forward... as we prepare for our college lives in three months, let me share you some quotes that can help us... as what Steve Jobs said 'Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.' Indeed. Let's not forget that. It's your life, it's your decision. Otherwise, you won't be satisfied, you won't have the happiness that you really want. Follow your passion, stay true to yourself, never follow someone else's path unless you're in the woods and you're lost and you see a path then by all means you should follow that." she pause as she takes another look on her paper. "It will be tough but believe me, nothing will happen if you keep the perseverance... in time, every hard work pays off... and that's the beauty of life."

 

... Once again, Congratulations graduates!" She announced as she moved the tassel from right to left, giving everyone the cue to do the same. Everyone gets up and clap their hands, shout out of joy as some toss their hats in the air and went to their respective parents to celebrate.

 

Yoong isn't an exemption. After tossing his hat and catching it, he went straight to his mother and hug her so tight, thanking her for everything.

 

Seohyun giggles as she watches them with the same amount of happiness. But her eyes especially landed to her parents who gives her a lot of flying kisses and thumbs up. She copied them in response. Soon, she joined them with Yoong and his mother.

 

 

 

:::

 

 

[Later in the night]

 

 

The moment his girlfriend returned from the comfort room, Yoong hastily get up and meet with her halfway.

 

"Wae?" Seohyun raised her eyebrows in confusion.

 

"Can we go out for a while? I can't relate with our parents? They're immensely talking nonstop." Yoong raised his concern. However, he didn't wait for Seohyun's response as he got her hand and dragged her out of the restaurant.

 

"Where are we going then?" Ask Seohyun as she chuckled. She was able to check on their table but they are too immense indeed that they did not noticed how they sneak out of the restaurant.

 

"I think I saw a park nearby. But wait, let's buy some ice cream." Yoong said and he eventually brought them inside an ince cream parlor when he saw it.

 

"Chocolate flavor." Seohyun suggested excitedly.

 

"Two flavor of chocolate please." Yoong didn't hesitate and ordered. He paid for it and the lady scoop on their ice cream. "There you go." He took the first ice cream and handed the other to his girlfriend before he got his own ice cream. Casually taking her free hand, they walked out the store hand in and hand, walking in the side of the street with smiles on their faces, as they enjoy the ice cream in silence.

 

"I can't believe this is actually happening, Yoong-ah." Seohyun says as she's still living in cloud nine a few minutes after their silence.

 

"See? I know you can do it." Yoong smiled brightly. "And I am so proud of you."

 

"Chincha?" Seohyun teasingly smiled towards the doe-eyed.

 

"Wae? You don't want to believe me?"

 

"I'm just kidding, of course I do. But truly, it was worth fighting for. Ugh, I will forever remember this day. It feels like I was being test by a lot of Gods earlier." sighs Seohyun in relieved. 

 

"That's actually so rude for the Gods." Yoong chuckled.

 

"Wae?"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter