Motherly Act

The Simple Thing Called Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

In the kindergarten where you worked at, once in a weekend, one class would be chosen to have a free playing time for two hours on the backyard playground. This week was Yewon’s class. Thank God it was sunny out there so the children could play as much as they want while the teachers, including you, could also have fun talking to fellow teachers and watching the children at the same time.

Some children busy playing with swings, some busy riding the seesaws and some busy building sand castles in the sand box –which one of them was Yewon and her friends–. Squeals of happiness and giggles filled the playground as the children were happily playing with each other.

Yewon was carefully building the sand castle with her tiny hands and she never stopped smiling as her castle almost finished. She was so immersed on it that she didn’t realize her friends were asking her a question.

“Yewonnieee?”

Yewon’s hand stopped moving and turned her head to look at the caller, Kim Mihyun, her best friend. “Yes, Mihyunniee?”

“Mother’s day is coming soon, right? We’re talking about what should we give to our mommy!” Mihyun said and the smile on Yewon’s face faltered slightly.

“I’m going to draw my mommy and give it to her!” Yewon’s other friend, Shin Hyejin, said excitedly.

“Then I will make a flower origami and give it to mommy!” Mihyun blurted out, didn’t want to lose to her best friend.

Yewon silently glanced at you, who was busy chatting with Kihyun and Seunghee, and then she smiled. “I will make a flower crown!”

Mihyun and Hyejin then became quiet. “Isn’t your mommy in the heaven already…?” Hyejin asked, because she and Mihyun knew if Yewon’s mother has passed away.

Yewon shook her head vigorously. “No! My mommy is here!” She then pointed at you with her index finger. Mihyun and Hyejin followed the direction of the finger and found you.

“That’s our seonsaengnim! Not your mommy, stupid!” Hyejin then laughed, thinking if Yewon was only joking.

“No! Jiyeon unnie is my mommy!” Yewon insisted, her voice was getting higher a bit and she frowned at Hyejin.

“Your real mother is dead, stupid!!!” Hyejin now sounded annoyed. “You have no mommy to give a present for mother’s day! You killed your own mommy!!!”

All the teachers rushed to the sand box when loud screams could be heard from there and they were all surprised to see Yewon and Hyejin pulling each other’s hair so loud and sometimes pushing each other down on the sand, with Mihyun crying after seeing her best friends fighting.

Hoseok was running on the hallway of the kindergarten. He was worried about his daughter. Yewon was never a troublesome kid and was very polite, so when he got a call saying that she got into a fight with her friend, Hoseok wasted no time left the office and rushed to kindergarten, because he knew something bad had happened to make her upset enough to fought with her friend like that.

The head teacher’s room has finally comes to his sight, and coincidentally, Mihyun and her mother just came out from inside too.

“Aah… Yewon’s appa…” Mihyun’s mother greeted and slightly bowed, which Hoseok greeted her back. “You should go inside, they are waiting for you.”

“What exactly was happening…?” Hoseok asked, his breath was a little bit fast due because of running, sweat was flowing down his face.

“We were talking about what should we give for mother’s day…” Mihyun started. “T–then, Yewonnie want to give a gift to Jiyeon seonsaeng because she is her mommy… Hyejinnie kept saying Jiyeon seonsaeng is not her mommy but Yewonnie didn’t accept it. Hyejinnie suddenly said something really bad about Yewonnie’s mommy… Said, auntie went to the heaven and Yewonnie was the reason for it… Yewonnie was mad… and the fight happened…”

Hoseok looked unpleased when he heard the last part, but he tried to not show it. He thanked Mihyun and they excused themselves. Hoseok would argue about the part ‘Yewon was the reason’ so badly, but the one who said it is a child. It’s useless to rant his anger to a child who knew nothing.

Hoseok knocked on the door and slid it open. The scene in front of him was out of his expectation. The head teacher was sitting on his chair, looking so serious. Kihyun and Seunghee were there too, sitting next to head teacher’s desk, with Yewon sobbing on Seunghee’s lap. Before them, were you and Hyejin’s mother standing in the middle of the room and…were too busy quarreling to aware of his arrival?

Hoseok looked down to see Hyejin hugging her mother’s leg. Her hair was messy and her clothes disheveled, some red nail marks on her hands and face. If he examined his daughter’s properly, there were some same marks on Yewon’s hands and face too, hair and clothes were equally disheveled.

“I’ve always been thinking that child has no manner because she has no mother! And I was right! Look at what she did to my beloved daughter!!!” Hyejin’s mother said within her raised voice, even her slightly wrinkled face looked a little bit red due to her rage. “I bet her father also did poorly on teaching her!”

“Don’t say that, ma’am.” You said in a very, very calm way, trying to not add the fire on the person before you even more. “I assure you Yewon is a very good girl, her father has also been teaching her well. She always has been a good girl until now.”

“Then explain why she started pulling my baby Hyejin’s hair and pushing her down on the sand!!! Which part of it is a good girl’s attitude???”

“She has apologized, hasn’t she?” Hoseok was amazed at how you kept that smile on your face. “Besides, from what I heard from Mihyun, Hyejin said something unpleasant about her late mother first, she should apologize–“

“Wait, wait, wait!” Hyejin’s mother interrupted. “Are you trying to say that it’s my daughter’s fault? Which one is unpleasant from the fact my daughter spoke? It is one hella ing truth, her mother died from giving birth to that devil!!!” She pointed on Yewon and her tone was getting harsh. Yewon even flinched because she’s scared of her and Seunghee did her best to calm her down while glaring at the adult. Kihyun was already clenching his fist, which had been itchy to lay a punch on that old lady’s face. “So my Hyejin isn’t wrong when she said her mother died because of her!!!”

“But–“

“Hold on, I’m not finished yet!!!” She cut you off again. “Hyejin was also teaching her that you ar

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter