Race You There?

Converse
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Nothing out of the ordinary happened after Kyungsoo told his friends. No social-shattering earthquake or whisper of gossip or bolt of lightning (Kyungsoo verified this one first-hand) changed the lsocialscape of the school environment. It wasn't as if Yuwon and Jongdae shouted down the hallways that they now knew either, so maybe Kyungsoo had been expecting too much. 

He did notice that fewer people sent glares to him, or stepped out of line to shove him as he walked down the halls, or sneer insults at him. If he had to describe the state of the acts against him, then he would say subdued, because doubt always wiggled at the back of his mind, and the extended peace was bound to break.

For now though, he was going to cheer on his best friend at his trackmeet. The weather was perfectly cool and sunny, and the wind blew light breezes across the stands of people congregated to watch. Yuwon managed to snag enough seats for him, Min hyung, and herself at the edge.

She had saved them enough seats, but she more or less always lingered along the circumference of the track to cheer for Jongdae. The coach didn't allow it at first, saying that the green space was specifically for runners, coaches, and authorized personnel, but as soon as Jongdae saw her, he vowed with such determination that he would get first place that the coach let her stay to be his motivation. So in the stands was just him and Min hyung.

During run brackets that didn't involve Jongdae, Min hyung turned to Kyungsoo and they would chat. He made Kyungsoo talk more about himself, and when Kyungsoo mentioned it, he laughed.

"Aw, man. You caught me."

"Then your turn. How's work?"

"It's been good."

"What exactly do you do at work?"

"Lots of things. Way too many things."

"Like what?"

"Well, just this week I had to track down someone's pet darglong that had escaped their apartment. That's basically a miniature dragon. Then I had to fly home to participate in a government meeting. I also had to handle a few contracts for humans going to Wumyexing since our scout found some promising people."

"Scout? The person who picks people who get to know about Wumyexing?"

"Yup."

"How do they find people? It's not like Wumyexing can be advertised."

Min hyung chuckled. "Our scout takes inconscpicuous jobs and talks to people, blend in, similar to Yifan's job. Hiding in plain sight. After finding someone who sounds like they'll be open to the idea, he tells them."

"What happens if the scout picks the wrong person? Like if the person blurts out Wumyexing stuff in public?"

"If it gains traction or if the person told is dangerous, he erases their memories and the evidence."

Kyungsoo dropped his water bottle.

"Don't worry, Kyungsoo. You don't fall into that category, and we trust you."

"Oh, okay." He breathed a sigh. "How does he erase memories?"

"He's very powerful. He has telekinesis."

"I thought that was just moving things with your mind."

"He's so good with it that he can alter memories with it too."

Kyungsoo didn't have anything more to say other than "Woah."

Min hyung ruffled his hair, shaking him out of his stupor.

"He's a nice guy. Met him in uni. Maybe you'll meet him one day."

After that, Kyungsoo grew more curious about Min hyung and his work place. He asked how many people really worked there (residentially on Earth and including Min hyung, six), their kinds of jobs, what the qiao'uyi government does for the humans on its planet. Min hyung answered him casually and lightly, even teasing that maybe Kyungsoo should work as the human ambassador there on Wumyexing.

When Jongdae's run was up, Kyungsoo peered out onto the field, scanning it for his friend. He spotted him on the inside of the track as he rolled his neck and shook out his legs. The announcer said that they were starting soon, so he pulled out his phone to snap a starting line shot of him, then leaned forward at the edge of his seat to see better. Kyungsoo didn't care much for sports, but he cared about cheering his friend on. 

He thought he heard Min hyung chuckle but at that moment Jongdae saw him in the crowd and waved. Kyungsoo waved back and gave him a thumbs-up. His friend flashed a grin at him before turning back to the field. When the runners moved to crouch at the line, the goofy cheer normally on his face wiped into focus. Kyungsoo only ever saw that look for two occasions: during his sport events and when he was thinking of something to give to Yuwon.

The gun rang in the air, and the runners shot forward. Jongdae kept an even pace with another runner. They were neck-and-neck, every step unrelenting, each curve of the track shifting who was winning. Both of them passed the finish line at nearly the same time. A replay was requested and displayed on the screen for everyone to see. The difference between Jongdae and the other runner barely surpassed the length of a pinky, and as the rerun slowed into frames, the other runner's shoe stamped down over the line two frames before Jongdae's. The other runner was announced the winner.

Kyungsoo pouted at the result, but Jongdae gave a hearty handshake to the other runner and walked back to the coach, who clapped him on the back with a smile.

"That's Lee Keonhee from that famous athlete school. I don't think the coach was expecting even one of their athletes to come as close to him as Jongdae did," Min hyung said.

"Woah. Then Jongdae was really good, right?"

"I think so. His coach seems pretty happy about it."

Kyungsoo squinted for his friend and saw him on the bench, his head hung, panting at the ground. He knew that look.

"Jongdae's disappointed in himself."

"Understandable. But I don't think he'll be disappointed long."

Yuwon hopped up to him and threw her hands in the air, bouncing up and down, and Jongdae's goofy cheer returned to his face. Kyungsoo chuckled.

"And that is why we're up here while Yuwon is down there."

"Exactly," Min hyung laughed.

Kyungsoo sat back just as the next set of runners were taking their places and a hand tapped his shoulder. He turned and dropped his water bottle again as a familiar dimpled smile shone on him.

"Teacher Zhang?"

"Hello, Kyungsoo. Mind if I sit with you two? There's not many seats left."

"Uh, yeah. Of course. Min hyung, that's okay, right?"

He almost didn't finish his sentence because of how frozen Min hyung looked. His back was straighter than a meterstick, his eyes had expanded and hadn't shrunk yet, and the rest of his limbs clutched to his seat for dear life. Kyungsoo had to nudge him, then fully shake him before Min hyung remotely returned to reality.

"Wha— Ah, yes. Go ahead."

Teacher Zhang said his thanks and sat next to Min hyung, who was shifting but still stiff in every movement. He barely gave the biology teacher a direct nod before turning about-face to the field. Kyungsoo wondered about Min hyung's sudden stick-like behavior, especially considering they seemed pretty comfortable when he went to surprise Jongdae. The biology teacher made no mention or glance of it though and leaned around him.

"Kyungsoo, has Jongdae ran yet?"

"Yeah, he just went. He got second against this really top athlete or something. He was super close too!"

"Ah, then is he done running?"

"He has two more, a hurdle one and then a relay race."

"My, he has his work cut out for him."

Kyungsoo nodded, hesitating a little, but he was just really curious.

"Teacher Zhang, do you like sports?"

"Not particularly."

"Oh. Then what made you come to this trackmeet?"

"It was advertised on the bulletin board outside of the teacher's lounge. I thought I could go to one of these things for once. This is my first time seeing a sports event since I started working here."

"How'd you know Jongdae was in it?"

He chuckled.

"Jongdae is not exactly quiet."

Kyungsoo nodded to that. Teacher Zhang glanced at Min hyung and tapped on his arm.

"He's doing well in biology, by the way. You don't need to worry."

Min hyung straightened even more if that was possible and nodded his acknowledgement but didn't do anything else. Teacher Zhang tilted his head before turning back towards the field, and Kyungsoo inwardly cringed and wondered how to remedy the awkwardness single-handedly caused by Min hyung.

"So, uh, Min hyung, were you worried about Jongdae's performance in biology?"

"What? Uh, yes. Wait, no. Wait, uh, is he doing fine?"

"Yes, he is. He sometimes teaches Kyungsoo during my lectures from what I see in class."

Kyungsoo rubbed his neck.

"Sorry, Teacher Zhang. We're talking about the material though!"

"Do not apologize, Kyungsoo. I know that you two are good students." He glanced at Min hyung still frozen in his seat, and Kyungsoo could have sworn that his dimple set a little deeper when he did. "So Kyungsoo, is Jongin not here? You three are friends, yes?"

"Jongin had a work shift, so he couldn't make it."

"Ah, then take many pictures for him. I think Jongdae will enjoy an occasion to brag to two of his friends."

Kyungsoo laughed, because that was true. It was the only time where he would be openly proud without becoming sheepish, at least for the first thirty seconds or so.

Other runs were still going on, and Kyungsoo spotted Yuwon sitting on the bench next to Jongdae. She seemed so intent on massaging his limbs that she didn't notice how Jongdae was silently wigging out behind her and in her periphery vision. Kyungsoo snickered and checked back with Min hyung. His arms had at least left his seat, but he wouldn't even glance in Teacher Zhang's direction. Maybe Kyungsoo was wrong about them being closer than most other parent-guardians-teacher relationships, but he wanted them to get along somewhat. Teacher Zhang was one of his favorite teachers and Min hyung was one of his closest hyungs. Elbowing Min hyung, Kyungsoo whispered in his ear.

"Min hyung, you should talk to Teacher Zhang. Don't be so stiff."

"Stiff? I'm not stiff."

Kyungsoo poked his tense arm.

"You're flexing when you don't need to be, and I'm pretty sure the biology teacher noticed but just hasn't said anything because he's nice."

Min hyung pushed his finger away and huffed, reaching into his pocket, pulling out his wallet, and slapping ten dollars into Kyungsoo's hand.

"Go get something from the concession stand."

"Will you have a non-robotic conversation with Teacher Zhang while I'm gone?"

"Yes."

He eyed Min hyung for a little bit before acceding. He leaned out.

"Teacher Zhang, is there any food you want? Min hyung gave me snack money."

"Oh? How kind. I'll take some gummy snacks if there are any."

"Okay. What about you, Min hyung?"

"Crackers please."

Kyungsoo raised an eyebrow, because he was pretty sure that they didn't sell crackers, but he nodded and went on his way down the steps. Picking his way through the crowd, he got in line behind a grandpa and his grandaughter and looked at the menu for what he wanted. He forgot to ask what flavor of gummy snacks Teacher Zhang wanted and decided to play it safe with a tropical mix pouch. There weren't any crackers, so he picked a bag of pretzels from the snack carousel instead and ordered a flatbread wrap for himself.

Watching the total ring up, he sighed a little that the price came just over ten dollars. The one time he didn't bring his wallet and his stomach started to growl.

"I only have ten dollars, so can you take out the flatbread please?"

The concession stand worker cocked their head, staring at him.

"Can you repeat that?"

"I only have ten dollars, so I'll just get the gummies and pretzels."

The concession stand worker didn't respond for a moment. Kyungsoo noticed that their eyes were round as the worker stared at him. They held no particular emotion but seemed to watch him, interest sparking within. Kyungsoo glanced around the counter, feeling awkward. Was something on his face? Had he said something strange?

"Your name is Kyungsoo, right?"

He snapped his gaze back up. How did the concession stand worker know his name?

"Yes, it is. May I ask how you know that?"

The worker thought for a moment.

"Work."

The worker tapped a few buttons, the price lowering as the sandwich was taken out, and turned into the kitchen behind them. Kyungsoo sidled off to the side, wondering how work at a concession stand was connected to his name. He also wondered if he could go. The receipt was printing, but he was pretty sure that that was the store copy. Taking the snack bags, he spoke a quiet thanks and started moving back towards the bleachers.

A tug to his shirt made him stop, like someone was getting his attention. He stopped and turned around but no one was near him. No other customers were in line nor did people meander close to the stand. Had he imagined it?

"Flatbread for Kyungsoo."

The concession stand worker leaned out a wrapped sandwich, and Kyungsoo automatically put his free hand up in a wave of polite refusal.

"I can't afford it. I asked for it to be taken off 'cause I only have ten dollars."

"It's on the house." The worker fit the sandwich into his hand and closed his fingers around it. "Don't worry about it."

"But..."

He trailed off when the worker smiled at him, turned him around, and gently pushed him back towards the stands. Kyungsoo looked back and another customer had gone up. He couldn't interrupt them now, plus if he already touched the bread, he couldn't return it. 

"Thank you!" He piped before scurrying back to the stands, feeling embarrassed without really knowing why.

He handed the adults their respective snacks and sat back down in his seat, handing the leftover cash back to Min hyung. He stopped moving like a robot, even laughed and patted Kyungsoo's hand to keep the change.

"Thank you. Ooh, nice sandwich, Kyungsoo," Teacher Zhang said.

"The concession worker gave it to me for free. I told them to take it off when the total went past ten dollars, but they gave it to me anyway."

"How kind. Must be because they knew you were a good kid."

He hid his face behind the flatbread.

"Teacher Zhang..."

His teacher just chuckled and opened his gummy bag. Min hyung's phone buzzed, and he pulled it out, a smile pushing the corners of his mouth up as he read his screen. Kyungsoo scooted closer, curious. It could have been from the 'Sheep' person Jongdae had mentioned, but Min hyung pocketed his phone and handed Kyungsoo a pretzel before he caught the name.

"Yixing's right. The concession worker must have just known."

"Well, they knew my name too. That was kinda weird."

Min hyung chuckled and offered the pretzel bag to Teacher Zhang, who offered his gummy bag in return. Sneaking a look at them, Kyungsoo thought their interactions were forty levels better than before he left for the concessions. Min hyung had even used Teacher Zhang's first name. As he observed the field, he was actually observing the two adults' conversation. Min hyung laughed easily, and a smile seemed to lace through all his words. Teacher Zhang tone kept his usual polite cheeriness, but extra tiny accents of joy fluttered in his voice. Kyungsoo chomped on his flatbread with a sly grin to himself. 

The announcer soon called for hurdle jumpers to the starting line. White fence segments sliced the track into even pieces, dividing one length of the red pavement into a grid from Kyungsoo's point of view.

He spotted Yuwon waving Jongdae off from the bench like she was a coach herself, his friend pumping her fists of encouragement in the air. Jongdae laughed and did one back to her before taking his place at the line. From what Kyungsoo knew, Jongdae was an average hurdler, but he had been practicing extra hours for this event, and Kyungsoo hoped that his effort would pull off. Rewrapping his flatbread, he took out his phone and snapped a few pictures of Jongdae.

"Kyungsoo, are you recording this time or should I?"

"I'll do it since you did the last one."

He positioned his camera and hit record as the noise settled, the hurdlers setting their feet into the bracers. Kyungsoo watched through his screen as the shot sounded and Jongdae sprinted out. He took the front position right from the start. In precise leaps, he jumped over the hurdles with ease, ran up the pieces of track between, and flew down the track. He made perfect jump after perfect jump, almost as if the hurdles weren't even there. Kyungsoo threw his hands up and whooped as soon as he crossed the finish line, cupping his hand around his mouth.

"Yeah! Go, Jongdae!"

His friend turned and locked eyes on him, and Kyungsoo jumped in surprise. He thought that his voice would have been drowned out by the screams of the crowd, but Jongdae flashed him a grin and a wave before turning towards Yuwon swinging her body in victory excitement. Chuckling at his friends, Kyungsoo looked back down at the screen and stopped recording.

"Min hyung, I'll exchange pictures and stuff with you on the way home."

He looked up and was met with a hand ruffling his hair.

"Okay, let's do that."

Kyungsoo smoothed his hair back down, glancing up. Min hyung smiled at him so affectionately, and Kyungsoo wasn't used to that kind of look, at least not from anyone other than his mom. It made him giggle to himself and rub his neck in embarrassment.

As the breaks and other hurdle races happened, Kyungsoo talked with Min hyung and Teacher Zhang about the event, how school was when they asked, and how the other two were. Though Teacher Zhang listened and asked more questions about Kyungsoo and Min hyung than talked about himself, Kyungsoo thought that the dimple set deeper in his cheek a little more and that the biology teacher chuckled a little longer whenever he looked at Min hyung. 

Min hyung too. He had a bounce to his voice and his movements, a little like Jongdae's, and they had both stopped occasionally offering each other snacks from their bags and just held it for the other to take a gummy or pretzel. The interaction looked comfortable, seemed familiar to the two of them. With this second round of proven extra-friendliness, Kyungsoo felt his educated guess turn more and more certain.

Seven events before Jongdae's relay race, Kyungsoo excused himself to use the bathroom. He actually abhorred the thought of using a port-a-potty. The school restrooms and public restrooms in the case of an emergency were his limit, but he thought he could give Min hyung and Teacher Zhang some alone time since they had gradually turned to talking about adult topics that Kyungsoo didn't really have a place to interject. He didn't mind though, because the two talked like they hadn't talked to each other in months.

Kyungsoo threw away his trash and went around the concession stand area again. A different cashier worked the stand, so Kyungsoo started walking around the field that surrounded the area. A few kids were playing catch, and a few others were playing chase. Stopping under a tree, he looked up at the leaves. They had filled out their branches, sunlight streaming through the small spaces between. The day felt good to him.

When Jongdae's relay race was coming up, he made his way back to the stands. He gave his phone a quick check as he walked and saw that Jongin had texted him, asking if the trackmeet was still going. He said that he might have been able to make it to their celebration afterwards, and Kyungsoo tapped out a happy yes, telling him to come. He had just hit send when someone stepped in front of him. They looked like a student, albeit taller and bigger than anyone he saw around at his school, with an angled jaw and eyes that seemed to look past Kyungsoo, at something intangible in their own mind. Kyungsoo thought it odd but politely excused himself and moved around, but they stepped back in front of him.

"Hi, I'm Yong Eungyu."

He stuck out a hand. Kyungsoo didn't know who this person was or why the sudden introduction, but he shook his hand out of courtesy.

"Hello, I'm Do Kyungsoo."

"Kyungsoo? Okay, cool. Do you go to this school?"

"Yes. Do you?"

"Nah, my school is one of the ones in the meet." Yong Eungyu jerked a thumb back towards the field. Kyungsoo nodded and gave a nod.

"Well, if you don't need anything, I'll be going."

"Hey, wait. I have a question. You know where to find the gym? My friend is the one participating, and they asked me to meet them there."

"Shouldn't all the players be on the field by now? The trackmeet started an hour ago."

"He couldn't make it until just now, and everyone's required to sign in at the gym."

"Oh, okay. The gym is that way, walk right along the sidewalk, and it's the glass-door building you see."

"Can you take me there? I'm bad with directions."

"It's really simple, so I'm sure you can do it. Just remember to follow the sidewalk. I have to get back to my seat and h—"

Yong Eungyu gripped his wrist. He yanked him out of the way of some passerbys, but when they had passed, he didn't let go. He leaned down to Kyungsoo's ear.

"Let's go to the gym."

Eungyu's hand s up and around his shoulders, turning him and making him walk the opposite direction. They passed through the other exit, the one that Min hyung wouldn't be able to see. Kyungsoo twisted and squirmed until he felt something sharp prick into his back.

"Walk politely, like how you shook my hand. Wouldn't want a red mess on the sidewalk, would we?"

Kyungsoo cursed at himself and walked forward without struggle. What could he do? Who could he call? Could he outrun this person if he tried? Probably not. Eungyu was taller and bigger than him. Unless he had a distraction, buy the time to run and pull out his phone...

Yong Eungyu opened the gym doors and pushed him into the center. The sharp feeling against his back retreated.

"You can turn around now."

Eungyu's words remained casual, like they were just two classmates talking for a classroom errand, but his tone was devoid of amiability. Kyungsoo suppressed a shudder. If he could sound so unaffected after holding a knife to someone's back, this person was careful, scheming, and cold.

Slowly, Kyungsoo turned around and faced Yong Eungyu. He just glanced Kyungsoo up and down, his eyebrow twitching, his hand twirling the blade in his fingers.

"You know who I am?"

"You introduced yourself as Yong Eungyu."

"True. But I meant who I know, my affiliations, my compadres, you might say."

"No, I don't. Why would I know that?"

A scoff tinged the huffs of Yong Eungyu's chuckle.

"Perhaps you've heard of my friend, Lee Woosung."

Kyungsoo's mind scattered through his memories, trying to find the detail, the idea, the notion that Lee Woosung had people, that he would send someone after him. Then he found it, something Taemin had told him under that gazebo evening.

I have one main bully, Lee Woosung, and he has two goons—as Sis says—who do his bidding.

"Aw, don't look at me like that. We're not really friends now because, suddenly, he didn't want to play with me anymore."

Kyungsoo didn't get what he meant, but Yong Eungyu's gaze that had been floating in the distance now zeroed in on him, scrutinizing him.

"He said that what we were doing wasn't fun or cool, then that there wasn't any point, which all sounded ridiculous coming from him. He was the one who looked like he was having the most fun whenever we devised our plans and executed them. But Woosung decided all by himself that he wanted out, to live a boring life, and Skunk just followed him like a stupid pigeon to breadcrumbs. You know what the worst part is? He's not even doing it because of his dad. He's just becoming a loser because someone said some loser things to him. And guess who that was?"

Yong Eungyu smiled, but Kyungsoo shifted backwards at the malice. He never would have believed that his one encounter with Lee Woosung would cause him to reconsider his actions. He thought that the bully who got Jongin expelled wouldn't be one to admit to his actions, but apparently Kyungsoo was wrong. Kyungsoo should have known that even if he caused some positive change in someone's life, the shadows neded someone to haunt.

"How did you find me?"

"Easy. Just asked around. You know you're pretty famous for being a fake? That, and a bit crazy. I heard about the stunt you pulled in your lunchroom. Just outed the guy and then everyone in the cafeteria? Doesn't that take guts."

His smile widened, and the twitch that had been in his eyebrow slunk down into his eyes, madness pulsing.

"But the students at your school are as much of a loser as Woosung is. Some said they felt bad. Some prattled on, trying so hard to prove to me that they had only done it to look cool or that they didn't know that you felt so cornered, as if it mattered to me or I could dirty their name enough for society to spit at them next. How pathetic. If you enjoyed it, then why not keep doing it? Why try to pretend that you don't enjoy something? Why pretend that you didn't do it out of the impulse of your own bumbling will? Ralph Waldo Emerson would agree with me. You almost were like them, Do Kyungsoo-shi! But then you told everyone to off!"

He stopped twirling his knife to laugh, bellows that propelled out against the floor and echoed up to the ceiling of the gym. Kyungsoo reached into his pocket, trying to tap for someone's contact.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you."

Kyungsoo froze. Yong Eungyu pulled out something from his pocket, a pen. Before he could blink, pain flicked the nail of his left index finger. Kyungsoo jerked, watching the pen clatter onto the ground at his feet. He held his finger, pulling his hand from his phone. The pain hadn't lasted for any long than a second, but he trembled at what Eungyu was telling him. If Eungyu could strike the top of his fingernail with a pen, then a knife would o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter