Reverse It?

Converse
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kyungsoo couldn't even glance at Jongin during class. He was too embarrassed at the fact that he had fallen asleep in Jongin's bed AND that Jongin had to wake him up so that he could run home and get ready on time. He had managed to save a piece of his dignity by turning down Jongin's offer of just eating breakfast at his house. Then he had escaped out the window so that Jongin's parents wouldn't have to see him in his PJs. Although, he had to get down using the stairs Jongdae had fashioned below the window. 

As soon as he got home to his phone, he called his best friend to chew him out on leaving him at Jongin's house and for exposing his powers by leaving the bedrock and soil stairs under Jongin's window. Jongdae had only laughed and said that he would swing by to dismantle them later, though he had a bit of sneak in his voice. When Kyungsoo asked if Jongdae was going to explain last night to him, he said that he would at lunch.

Except, Kyungsoo had been using all of classtime before lunch to get the courage to ask if Jongin was going to join them at lunch. He hadn't during that week after their fight, but now that they had talked it out, Jongin would be okay with eating with them again, right?

Teacher Zhang dismissed them, and the first thing Jongdae did was poke his face into Kyungsoo's space.

"Kyungsoooo, you're inviting Jongin to lunch with us again."

"Yeah, yeah. I know."

His friend leaned back with surprise before nudging him.

"I like this new confidence! Did something happen last night, hmmm?"

"I told you that we just talked it out."

"Your face is saying something else, Kyungsoooo."

He reached up to his face and covered it with his biology journal when he felt how hot it was.

"There really was nothing else, Jongdae."

"Okay, then was there at least the apology hug? You have to have the hug after the apology."

"We didn't hug." Kyungsoo paused and looked at his left index finger, the same place where he had found the small scar on Jongin's hand. "We did a version of that."

"Oooh, just tell me later, Kyungsoo! I want details."

Jongdae wiggled his eyebrows, so Kyungsoo smacked him with his journal before finishing packing up. Nothing happened happened. They were just two friends who had fought then made up by lying in a bed under the same blanket and talking. The apologies were said, explainations were explained, and they might have had a possibly intimate conversation in a possibly intimate setting. But that didn't mean that Jongdae had to rub it in his face and remind him that he would be happy if Jongin had also found it—

He slapped himself to stop the thought. He DID NOT just think that. He was merely irritated at his best friend for his suggestive eyebrows, and that irritation fueled a new impulse in him. Ignoring the look of shock on Jongdae's face, he marched straight towards Jongin taking up his backpack.

"Ready to go?"

Jongin blinked at him, his eyes slightly widened, but he nodded.

"Then we're going to lunch."

Kyungsoo his heel and caught sight of Teacher Zhang at the front desk. His fingers were turning the page, but his eyes looked straight at him. A teasing smile was at his mouth, and Kyungsoo turned away, slipped out the door, covered his face, and planted his forehead into the wall around the corner. He couldn't even wince at the pain from hitting the spot on his forehead again because he was internally wigging out at what he had just done. Polynomials—even Teacher Zhang saw that.

Telling himself that it was fine, that being embarrassed was totally natural, and that he had accomplished what he had set out to do, Kyungsoo came out from the corner and leaned against the wall. He looked at his shoes until he heard Jongdae call his name and walked over to him and Jongin. Jongdae hooked his arms over their shoulders and guided them down to the lunch room. Once they found Yuwon, she shot little finger pistols at them.

"That's what I like to see! Now Jongdae and I will explain to you guys our brilliant plan."

She stood, unlooped Jongdae's arms from their shoulders, and tugged him into the seat next to her. Kyungsoo laughed evilly at Jongdae in his head when he saw his friend burst into a blush. He and Jongin sat on the other side of the table, Kyungsoo pulling out his thermos, Jongin pulling out two sandwiches. Kyungsoo gave the sandwiches a grumpy look.

"Hold on. I'll be back."

He hopped out of his seat, grabbed a fork from the lunch line, and returned to the table. He spun the thermos lid off and piled some noodles out on top using his chopsticks, then set the fork down and towards Jongin.

"So how did you two devise your brilliant plan?" he asked.

Yuwon raised an eyebrow, glancing from the thermos lid to Kyungsoo, and he waved a hand to say 'it's not a big deal.' Yuwon just smirked and bobbed her head left and right to say that he was off the hook this time, while Jongdae squealed and threw his hands into the air.

"First, we had to figure out what was up. Krystal-shi had come by the school, and luckily Yuwon happened to spot her while she was heading to archery practice. Krystal-shi looked like she was looking for someone and her uniform was different, and Yuwon had remembered when we told her about how Krystal-shi dropped in from a tree before and was super smart, and noticed that something was off, and it turned out to be Krystal-shi. So then Krystal-shi told us about how gloomy Jongin was, and we told her how gloomy Kyungsoo was, and then we came up with the idea to make you two talk."

Jongdae finally took a breath to eat a bite of noodle soup, and Yuwon was covering her face from him, a beet red color on her cheeks. Kyungsoo tapped at his face and pointed at her to , and she stuck her tongue out at him. There was a clink, and Kyungsoo looked over to see Jongin setting the fork down, noodles hanging out of his mouth. He stifled a laugh as Jongin looked away and covered his mouth, the distinct sound of slurping coming from behind his hand. 

"Does it taste okay?"

Jongin's eyes widened, and he nodded so vigourously that he looked dizzy, his hand moving to his head next. But Jongin liked it, and Kyungsoo felt a happiness gush through hm.

"Krystal-shi told us Jongin's address and the day when she knew Jongin's parents would be out, and then we decided that Yuwon would help Kyungsoo think about what he wanted to say, and I would deliver Kyungsoo to Jongin's house, and now tak-ka-bal! Kyungsoo and Jongin are back to being on good terms again. And now Kyungsoo, Jongin, it's your turn."

"My turn? For what?"

"To tell me and Yuwon how you guys talked it out!"

"Jongdae, that's an invasion of their privacy."

"I'm not asking what they talked about. I'm asking how. There's a difference."

"True. Okay, Kyungsoo, Jongin-shi, spill the beans."

He almost spat out his noodles at the demand. 

"We literally just talked."

"But how? Was there an epic wrestling match? Or a dramatic running away? Or a greater force of evil showed up and you two were forced to band together?"

Kyungsoo gave his friend his best deadpan look.

"Okay, one, I'm not violent. Two, you dropped me off through his bedroom window so no. And three, you've been watching way too much TV."

"You dropped him off through where? The window?"

Jongdae cleared his throat and gave Yuwon two pieces of sliced beef, which she munched on happily.

"I just want to know how you guys talked."

Kyungsoo sighed and scooped a bite of noodles into his mouth. Telling Jongdae shouldn't have been a problem, but some part of him nagged no. He would get his confusion if he didn't want to feel embarrassed, but that wasn't the source of his reluctance. He didn't want to tell Jongdae because... he felt that time had just been for him and Jongin.

Was he being overly sentimental?

"We talked in my room. I gave him Halley to hold."

"Who's Halley?"

"The little great dane toy Krystal gave me as a gift."

Jongdae gave another squeal, this time while holding his cheeks. Jongin leaned backwards away from him, looking from Kyungsoo to Yuwon with questions running across his face. Yuwon wrinkled her nose and Kyungsoo cringed a bit at Jongdae's reaction.

"Pay him no mind, Jongin-shi. He gets like this a lot," Yuwon said.

"C'mon, it's cute! I can just imagine Kyungsoo holding a little doggie as they talk about deep philosophical things. Don't you guys think that that would be adorable? "

"He was."

Kyungsoo actually hocked out his noodles that time, and he hurried to grab two napkins, one for his mouth, the other for the table. Did Jongin just agree with Jongdae? And about him being adorable—

He grew so hot that his brain and body overheated. He felt it flush his cheeks, his neck, and all the way down his chest. Keeping the napkin over his mouth, Kyungsoo folded it and let it encroach over his face, not daring to look up or even ask why the function that had been Jongin's answer. He was pretty sure that his friends were saying something, but Kyungsoo couldn't hear them through the blood rushing in his ears. He just kept his face covered and tried to not think about how he would react if Jongin had been serious with that comment.

When the heat and pounding in his ears had died down, Kyungsoo listened for what conversation had continued without him. He heard girls giggling and the boys stuttering. He had a hunch but looked up anyway.

A pair of fangirls had gone up to Jongdae, and a group of fanboys had gone up to Yuwon. Kyungsoo could tell that the fans had come together from the way they nudged and gestured to the other group. Each apparently had their own objectives though. Shrugging, Kyungsoo set the napkin down and slurped some of his soup. He had seen this plenty of times before and didn't feel like watching today.

"Kyungsoo?"

He jumped and turned to Jongin. He forgot that he was there. He forgot that he wasn't alone this time.

"Y-Yeah?"

"Yuwon-shi said that you had a compliment overload."

Kyungsoo hid his face by taking another gulp of soup.

"I told you that I don't take compliments well."

"It's true though."

He guzzled down the last of his soup, a wave of steam—or was it another blush?—washing over his face.

"It was like watching a penguin holding a little plushie."

Kyungsoo couldn't take it anymore and smacked a hand over Jongin's mouth. He realized last second what he was doing, but he couldn't stop his hand in time and just told himself to deal with the consequences of his actions.

"S-Stop it please. I will combust if you keep going."

Pulling his hand back, he made himself pick up his chopsticks again, but he could still feel the edges of Jongin's lips on his palm, warm and soft. All the strength had left his grip, but he shoveled some noodles in his mouth to distract his embarrassment and also curiosity. He wanted to know Jongin's reaction. At the very least, he wanted to know if he was okay of being touched or if Kyungsoo had crossed the line. Even if his intentions had been playful(ish), he hadn't asked first. As he swallowed, he decided that knowing boundaries was too important of a topic to avoid but that he didn't have enough courage to straight-up ask. He wiped his mouth and kept the napkin over his face, turning the slightest towards Jongin.

"Sorry. I shouldn't have touched you."

"Don't be sorry. I went too far, and I don't mind being touched if it's you."

Jongin coughed once and covered his mouth. His words had tumbled out, and from the curse under his breath, Kyungsoo wondered if that hadn't been his intention. Kyungsoo didn't mind though. He even chuckled a little at the way he rubbed his entire forearm in embarrassment. He poked Jongin's hand.

"Then let's just say we're even."

A red tinted across his nose bridge, but he nodded. With a new spring in his being, Kyungsoo pulled out some more noodles and left them on the thermos lid for Jongin, who ripped part of his sandwich and left it on his napkin. As Kyungsoo tasted for this sandwich's components, he saw that one of the boys talking with Yuwon was watching him. His nose turned up and the sneer of scorn flashed across his face. Kyungsoo looked away and reached to massage his shoulder. He guessed that since his other friends had Yuwon's attention, the person had to find another way to not look awkward.

The table shifted, shaking Kyungsoo back to reality. Jongin had gotten up from the bench, one leg already out, one hand curled into a fist, his eyes narrowed, asking if there was a challenge. Following his line of sight, Kyungsoo saw that he directed that unspoken question towards the person who had sneered at him. The person stiffened, surprised, and looked away, joining his friend's conversation.

Kyungsoo sat in shock for a moment as Jongin sat down again. No one had ever backed down after they started, and he couldn't believe that someone had. He still felt the sting of their sneer but not as harshly as the previous times and... Kyungsoo felt okay still. He needed to thank Jongin. Glancing over at him, Kyungsoo took his hand when he saw guilt filling his eyes.

"Jongin, what's wrong?"

Confusion mixed with the guilt, but he didn't look at him.

"I was thinking of being confrontational, and that's not what you want. I'm sorry."

Kyungsoo couldn't stop the smile from squiggling up on his face. Jongin was trying for him. That was almost as unbelievable as someone backing down. Almost, because he was staring at the way Jongin bowed his head and rubbed the inside of his elbow. He shook at his wrist.

"Thank you, Jongin, and thank you for trying for me. Don't be sorry."

He hesitated before he nodded, still looking down. Just as Kyungsoo was thinking of ways to cheer him up, an image came to his head, and he sputtered out a laugh.

"You look like a puppy who was scolded. I think Krystal-shi was spot on with your spirit animal."

Kyungsoo could tell that Jongin definitely hadn't been expecting the tease because his eyes widened. Flashing him a grin, he gently pulled his hand from Jongin's.

"Your sandwich today has pulled pork, cheese, and lettuce. It's really tasty. Did you make the meat or buy it?"

He waited for Jongin's answer as he blinked down at where Kyungsoo had pulled back his hand. Then he straightened and rubbed the inside of his elbow again, red coloring his cheeks.

"My mom bought it."

"Ooh darn. I was going to ask if you guys had a recipe. I never really tried making stuff with barbeque sauce."

"My dad's really good at barbeque, and my mom can grill things."

"I thought she burns the pan just trying to stir-fry onions," Kyungsoo teased, remembering an earlier conversation they had had. Jongin chuckled.

"Okay, I might have exaggerated a little when I said that."

"Oh, really?"

They both laughed and continued eating. Sometimes Kyungsoo would ask him something, and sometimes Jongin would ask, all the while sharing pieces of food between them. Kyungsoo learned that Jongin once had been stung by a wasp at a barbeque party, and Taemin had been the one to rip the stinger out. Jongin's eyes had glimmered with pride then as he explained that Taemin's one weakness was bugs and any of their body parts. He also learned that Jongin didn't like scary movies and usually went to cinemas for the popcorn and company whenever Krystal and Taemin wanted to see a new film, and Kyungsoo knew that he learned it because his brain replayed every fact and detail until Yuwon waved a hand in front of his face as they left the cafeteria.

When he, Jongdae, and Jongin arrived back at their classroom, Kyungsoo tried to keep his smile from growing too wide at how Jongin walked with them to their desks. He wanted to talk with him a little longer before lectures started again. Actually, Jongdae did most of the talking, but Kyungsoo didn't want him to go just yet. He was listening to Jongin telling Jongdae that he should learn how to make jam if he wanted to try coconut jam so badly when he spotted someone moving towards him out of the corner of his eye.

He turned toward the person and was surprised to see Chanyeol. The basketball giant jumped a bit, like he hadn't expected to be seen, before the ends of his mouth spread in a grin and he bounded over.

"Hi, Kyungsoo-shi."

"Chanyeol-shi, hello."

"Have a good lunch?"

Kyungsoo paused at the question, not because the question itself had surprised him but because of his answer. He smiled at how Jongin seemed to be full of reverses.

"Yeah. It was good. What about you?"

"I stole a few cookies from my friend's lunch box so yup. I mean, I always ask beforehand, and he always says no but hands them to me anyways." 

"Is that really considered stealing then?"

"Yes, because when he mentions it later, he always says I stole them or coerced them from him."

"So it's coercion versus slander."

"I guess so."

His classmate chuckled and stuck his hands into his pockets, his earlier confidence dimming a bit.

"What's up?" Kyungsoo asked.

He glanced up at him. "Uh, so you know how we're learning sets in math?"

"Yeah."

"Well, I don't get them at all, so I was wondering if you could help me. Uh, you know, tutor me a bit? Do you happen to have time after school today? I can't really do it any other time, and the test is coming up so..."

Kyungsoo thought through his schedule and nodded. Today, he happened to be free. He didn't have gardening, club meetings, or tutoring with Seulgi and Jongin.

"Yeah, I have time today. Do you have a place you want to study at?"

"Not really."

"Then are you good with going to the library? They have study rooms."

"Yeah, sounds good."

"Then I'll see you then."

"Right. Thanks, Kyungsoo-shi."

He nodded and waved as Chanyeol did. He also gave a wave to Jongdae before he turned back to his seat, his shoulders dropping in relief. Kyungsoo faced forward again and found Jongdae leaning across his desk, beaming at him, his hands splayed out to hold his chin.

"You're invading my desk space, Jongdae."

"You're great, Kyungsoo."

He pushed his friend off his desk by his face and pulled out his folder. He set it upwards and ducked behind it so that he could fan his face. 

"Why are there so many nice words today?"

"Because you deserve them!" Jongdae piped over the folder.

Sinking into the desk top, Kyungsoo heard Jongin chuckle, and he cursed at the timing of using his folder. Class soon started again, and he and Jongdae waved to Jongin before he walked back to his desk. After Teacher Liu dismissed them for the day, he packed his things, looked up, and saw Chanyeol waiting outside the classroom. He also spotted a few people tossing looks of contempt at him through the doorway. Kyungsoo told himself to focus on tutoring. He had never tutored Chanyeol before and he had to see what worked best for him.

"Have fun tutoring Chanyeol!" Jongdae said, giving him a pat to the back. "He's friendly and a hard worker. He might get a little stubborn, but then you just gotta show it to him in person and he'll get it."

"Okay. Thanks, Jongdae. See you tomorrow."

Jongin walked up to them and waved to Kyungsoo, and he gave a wave back before going up to Chanyeol. Now that they were both standing up, he could really see just how tall his classmate was. The top of Kyungsoo's head just reached Chanyeol's shoulder. The basketball giant leaned against the wall, tapping away at his phone until Kyungsoo stopped next to him.

"Ready to go?"

"Yeah, let's go."

Through the narrow halls, they had to walk singlefile, so Kyungsoo led the way towards the library. He kept his eyes forward, didn't let them wander to people's expressio

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter