in which chaewon's eyes are opened

Tales of the Outside World

A/N: don't forget, black lives matter! go to blacklivesmatter.carrd.co for more information and things you can do to contribute to the movement. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The trio had completely lost track of time during their stay in the witch coven, but at some point a change came in the air. The witches and the girls both knew that they had to leave and continue on their journey, for reasons unknown to them still. Their time of hiding away had come to an end. 

That was why when Heejin and Hyunjin called Olivia, Chaewon, and Yerim to the center of their lands, deep in the night, they knew something important was about to happen. 

They started off with greetings, Hyunjin's cat and Heejin's rabbit rubbing against their legs and bare feet before Heejin began. "You three have learned a lot during your time here. But there is one last important thing we need to teach you." 

"You have seen our animals that follow us, correct?" Hyunjin asked, and the girls nodded. "Us witches call them familiars, and they are our friends and helpers." 

"Here in the safety of the coven they can follow us around wherever. Where you all go, they most likely won't be able to follow. But you will call upon them when you are in need." 

"You're going to help us get familiars?" Yerim asked excitedly. 

"Yes," Heejin answered with a smile. 

"This is an honor," Hyunjin added. "Only witches and their friends know how to obtain a familiar." 

"Come, sit," Heejin said. They formed a circle on the ground, sitting criss cross in the grass. "Now, concentrate really hard. On yourself, who you are and what you hope to bring to the world." 

Slowly, Chaewon, Yerim, and Olivia shut their eyes, trying their hardest to think about what the witches had asked them to. They all had expected to open their eyes quickly but no, Heejin and Hyunjin had them stay just like that for a while. 

Quickly the girls fell into a dreamlike state, half asleep and half awake, feeling movement all around them but not entirely sure what was going on. 

When Heejin and Hyunjin finally told the girls to open their eyes, the first things they noticed was that it was already light out; they had been concentrating for hours, at least. 

The second thing the girls noticed was the wolf that had curled up and fallen asleep on Olivia's lap. All of them gasped, even Heejin and Hyunjin. 

"You must have some power within you. A wolf is a rare familiar." 

Just then the other girls noticed their own familiars, a butterfly on Chaewon's hand and a bat perched on Yerim's shoulders. 

"These are strange familiars. Not many people have them, but I think it just shows how special the purpose of you girls is," Heejin explained, and all the girls smiled. Olivia made a move to stand up, but the heavy wolf on her lap was still fast asleep. 

"Wait, now how am I supposed to get up?" Olivia asked. 

~~~~~~~~~~

Without a word spoken, everyone knew that the girl's last night among them had come. The witches had organized a party for them, with food and drink and familiars all around. 

At the party in their honor, Olivia, Chaewon, and Yerim sat talking to Hyunjin, their familiars on their shoulders or at their sides. 

"How has it been, getting to know them?" Hyunjin asked. 

"I've been staying up late a lot," Yerim admitted, and the girls all shared a chuckle as Olivia pet her wolf's fur. 

Just then, Heejin returned with more refreshments. She placed it on one of the tables before going over to Hyunjin and pressing a soft kiss to her lips. The trio stared back in shock. 

"Hi girls, how's the pa-" She finally noticed the surprise of the trio and she tilted her head. "What is it?" 

"Heejin, have you forgotten? Outside of the coven relationships with two women are rare," Hyunjin answered. 

"Oh yes," Heejin said with a smile. "Did you all not know we were together?" 

All of them shook their heads slowly. 

"I mean, it's more common these days," Olivia explained. "Still not accepted among the royalty and nobility, but the common people don't have to worry." 

"Oh that's good to hear," Heejin answered with a small chuckle. "It wasn't like that when we lived near the castle." 

As Olivia and Yerim began to discuss this issue with Heejin and Hyunjin, Chaewon was still stuck in a state of shock. She had never heard of two girls being together. The thought had never even crossed her mind. She sighed, that was her fate being stuck in the castle after all. 

But something about it made her think, and give Olivia a second glance. 

~~~~~~~~~~

As the party dragged on, and Yerim became involved in some witch game neither Olivia nor Chaewon could understand, Olivia turned to the princess. 

"Do you want to go?" She whispered. 

Chaewon nodded, and the two girls slinked off, deeper into the witch's wood. Once they were far enough from the party to see the sounds almost die down, they sat down in the grass. Olivia's wolf curled up beside her, and Chaewon's butterfly perched on its nose. 

"I'm not good in a crowd after a while," Olivia begrudgingly admitted. 

"Me neither," Chaewon answered. 

"Isn't that hard? I mean, being a princess and all. Don't you have to go to all those banquets and balls and stuff?" 

"Yeah, but it's not my thing. Once we're older I'll be able to just rule the kingdom, and she can do all of the people stuff." 

Like usual, Chaewon fell onto her back, and Olivia followed. Normally Olivia would never let herself be so vulnerable, but over the past few days she had come to trust Chaewon in a way she had never trusted anyone before. 

"You seemed surprised about Heejin and Hyunjin," Olivia commented, out of the blue. She was partially curious about what Chaewon thought generally, but more curious as to how it could relate to her own crush. If Chaewon didn't approve of relationships between girls, Olivia would have to rethink everything. 

"I-" Chaewon started, stumbling over her words. "I didn't know you could do that," she spoke, much quieter than before. 

"Then I was right, it's still not accepted in the castle." 

"It's not discussed, that's for sure. At least in front of me." 

Olivia paused. "What do think?" 

Chaewon took her first deep breath, then a second. "Olivia, you have to take what I'm about to say to you to your grave, okay? Do you promise?" 

"I promise," Olivia fiercely answered. "I swear on my sword." 

Chaewon took her final, third deep breath. "Growing up I always thought I didn't want to get married just because I didn't want to get married, right? But maybe...maybe I don't want to get married because...it's a man." 

Maybe, it was Olivia who had made Chaewon think this way. But that was one thing Chaewon would not admit. 

Olivia was frozen, staring pointedly up at the sky. "Oh," she spoke, for lack of anything else to say. Olivia swore Chaewon could hear her heart beating in her chest. 

But Chaewon couldn't hear it, and with Olivia staring straight up like that, Chaewon felt her heart sink into her chest. 

~~~~~~~~~~

The rest of that night had been uncomfortable but in the morning both Olivia and Chaewon forced themselves to put aside their awkwardness. It was their last morning in the coven, and it was time to go. 

Yerim was already crying when they gathered their things to meet Heejin and Hyunjin. Their familiars pawed and clawed at them to stay but the girls knew their journey had to continue, as sad as it was. 

"We'll miss you," Heejin said softly. 

"Very much. If you can, please stop by again. You know where to find us," Hyunjin added. 

Still tearfully Yerim reached over and gave Heejin and Hyunjin each a big, sweet hug. "Thank you," she spoke gently. "For everything." 

They smiled together. "Thank you," they simply answered, before leaning over to hug Olivia and Chaewon too. Normally the girls were not huggers but it felt nice and warm to be in their arms, so safe. 

No more words were spoken once they pulled apart, only waving. And so, Olivia, Chaewon, and Yerim turned around, leaving the place they had begun to think of as home.