in which the trio visit the burgundy swan

Tales of the Outside World

A/N: don't forget, black lives matter! go to blacklivesmatter.carrd.co for more information and things you can do to contribute to the movement. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Within a few days Yerim was back to her usual self, cheery and able to walk quickly, and all of the girls were grateful. 

By this point they were a long distance from the castle and by Jungeun and Jinsoul's reckoning, had now been gone for about two and a half months. 

The greatest two and a half months of Chaewon's life, the princess had to admit, but at the same time it was partially taking a toll. 

The last time she had slept in a comfortable bed and had hot, non-scavenged food was back at the witch coven, which was a while ago. Her limbs ached from walking all of the time and she felt, deep in her heart, that she needed a true rest. But she didn't know of anywhere that could happen. In her mind she tried to think of all the old maps of the kingdom she had pored over during her studies. She couldn't remember any villages or real buildings in this area, but based on how far they were from the lake, she had an idea of where they were and the name of the area. 

"I think I know where we are..." Chaewon spoke suddenly. Both Olivia and Yerim turned to her in surprise. 

"Really?" Yerim cried; they were still in a forest, that looked just like all of the other forests they had traversed through. 

"Yeah. I'm pretty sure we're in Wenckheim Circle." 

Yerim tilted her head like the name was completely foreign to her, but Olivia gasped. 

"What?" Yerim asked. 

"I know a little bit about Wenckheim Circle," she spoke. "Most of the lands here are complete wilderness, but somewhere here there is the most famous tavern in the entire kingdom: the Burgundy Swan." 

"Why is it famous?" Chaewon asked and shared a look with Yerim; neither of them had ever heard of the Maroon Swan. In fact, neither of them had been to a tavern at all before." 

"Rumour has it that the Burgundy Swan holds the kingdom's best beer and prettiest barmaid," Olivia explained, and anger flashed in Chaewon for reasons she couldn't explain. As much as she had wanted a hot meal and to sit down before, now she wanted to stay away from the place.

"Interesting," Chaewon said curtly.

"Come on, let's go," Olivia spoke up excitedly. 

"But what if we get caught? Isn't there a reward for the capture of all of us?" Yerim asked worriedly. Chaewon firmly nodded beside her. 

"Guys! Don't you want some liquor and a hot meal? Yeah, it might be a touch risky, but how fast could anybody at the tavern let anyone in the castle know what's going on? Anyways, I think many of the Burgundy Swan's patrons are not exactly on the castle's side either." 

Yerim sighed. "Well, alright. You have a point; I would like to rest my feet for a little while." 

"Chaewon?" Olivia asked, searching for her opinion.

Chaewon sighed deeply. She would just have to hope that the 'kingdom's prettiest barmaid' wasn't in that day. "Alright."

Olivia grinned but Yerim frowned. "Does anyone have any coins left though?" 

The trio all began to dig through their bags and finally, Chaewon pulled out a few coins for the three of them. Olivia cheered, Yerim looked on worriedly, and Chaewon glared at the very thought of that stupid barmaid, no mind to anything else. 

~~~~~~~~~~

Fairly quickly the girls stumbled upon this tavern, a building barely more put together than a shack. It was fairly small with what appeared to be two stories, shaded by ancient willow trees. The front was labelled with an old wooden sign in gothic font: THE BURGUNDY SWAN, with a large carving of a swan beside it. The sun was sinking deeper although it was not quite sunset. But even outside of the tavern the girls could hear loud voices, laughter, and the clinking of mugs coming from inside. Chaewon figured it was loud in there no matter what time of day it was, as long as the tavern was open. Briefly, Chaewon wondered how so many could people could be at a place where seemingly nobody lived around, but then she figured Olivia was right about the tavern's massive reputation. With a small smile on her face, Olivia pushed open the door, and they were inside. 

It was dark, loud, and reeking of human. The windows barely let any light in so the candles truly lit up the small room. Almost every table and chair at the counter were full of people, mostly men but some women, laughing loudly and drinking heartily. Yerim spied three seats at the counter and they all rushed to sit before anyone could steal some of the few seats in the place. 

Although it was a little bit gross in the tavern it was nice to sit on a real chair and not just the grassy ground, for just a moment. And she was heartened by how distracted (aka drunk) everyone in the place was; perhaps nobody would notice their presence and the trio would make it out of the tavern, risk free, with some rest and drink and food in them yet no chance of getting caught earlier than necessary. 

The three girls looked around for the barmaid, ready to get their drinks. And when Chaewon spotted her, she understood everything. 

This girl was probably similar in age to the pirates they had met earlier, with bangs and dark hair, and a smile seemingly permanently etched onto her face. She was beautiful, yes, but the princess did not think she got her reputation just from her face. It came from the absolute joy and radiance she simply emitted, kindness cast on everyone in the tavern, from the drunkest groups to the gruffest loners. 

Finally the barmaid noticed the trio and with a cute little gasp, made her way over to them. 

"Hi! Welcome to the Burgundy Swan! First time here?" 

"Yep," Olivia answered. 

She giggled adorably. "I thought I hadn't seen you in here before! You three look like quite the travelers! Must be in need of some good food and rest. I'll bring you all the finest we have to offer, and you all pay what you can!" 

"Thank you so much," Yerim breathed out, and the barmaid gave them a big smile. 

"No thank you! I'll come back with that right away." 

The barmaid disappeared but she was right; she did come back with that right away. Three pints of beer in icy mugs and a basket filled with bread, cheese, and potatoes, and little bowls of milk puddings beside. It was different from the delicate food Chaewon had been served at the castle and at the witch coven, but after all of this traveling, she was craving something harty. 

"Now, if you girls ever need me, just yell my name. Oh! You guys don't know it. Well I'm Jiwoo. If you need anything just scream 'JIWOO!' as loud as you can and I'll come straight over. As long as I can hear of course." 

She giggled just as a loud 'JIWOO!' sounded around the tavern, and she gave them a cute little salute before making her way across the tavern. 

The barmaid had been kind, of course. But Chaewon's heart still beat in her chest, until Olivia turned around. 

From then on, not another glance was given at the barmaid; all of the attention was on her, and Chaewon had to smile. 

"Cheers?" She said, raising her glass. 

"Cheers!" Yerim and Chaewon answered and they all clinked glasses, having a sip. 

Olivia gulped about half of hers down but after a small sip both Yerim and Chaewon gagged. 

"What? This really is the best beer I've ever tasted, what's your problem?" Olivia asked. 

"If this is the best, then I don't know if I like beer at all..." Yerim mumbled, and Chaewon nodded in agreement. 

"Wait a second...have you guys never drank before?" Olivia asked with surprise. 

"The royalty and nobility have strict age minimums from drinking alcohol," Chaewon said. "And I've never been one to break the rules." 

"The organization of squires do too, remember?" Yerim added. 

"Yes, that's right," Olivia anwered, remembering her own tenure as a squire. "Technically the knights aren't supposed to drink, but we all do anyways. You know...this could be your one chance to try. Both of your once chances." 

Chaewon and Yerim thought for a moment. "I-I dunno..." Yerim stuttered, but Chaewon was already chugging her entire beer. 

"You're right Olivia; you're so right," Chaewon answered. "Once I go home I'm going to have to be this good, put together princess and future queen. If I can't get drunk now, then when can I?" 

"Wait, I'm gonna do it too!" Yerim cried before drinking about half of hers. 

Olivia grinned to herself; she was ready to see her friends drunk.