in which the trio are discovered

Tales of the Outside World

A/N: don't forget, black lives matter! go to blacklivesmatter.carrd.co for more information and things you can do to contribute to the movement.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was no different than any other day in the third month of their journey, walking along in the empty forest, the three girls conversing and happily living their lives together. Olivia's hand was in Chaewon's and the soft affection kept her pushing forward, no matter how tired, or hungry, or sore she was. 

Suddenly, the sound of hooves on grass filled the ears of all three girls. From the noise, all could tell that it was a big group of riders, ever coming closer and closer. 

"Who could it be?" Yerim asked, all looking on each other with fear in their eyes. 

"I don't know. But I have a bad feeling about this. We should hide," Olivia answered. All three girls ducked behind a bush, hoping that their worst fear had not finally arrived. 

Doing nothing but breathing and watching the woods in front of them the girls all crouched behind that bush, praying that their luck hadn't dried up just yet. But moments later, the horse riding band appeared in front of them, and their hearts sank: it was the knights of the castle. 

All three girls held their breaths, trying to make even the beating of their own hearts completely silent, hoping beyond hope that the knights would keep on riding. But they stopped, some sliding off their horses. 

"Here are where the footprints get muddled," one of them spoke, peering down at the grassy floor. 

"How do we even know these are the footprints of the princess? It could just be some woodland people," another said. 

"The prints are awfully small and dainty to be of anyone else." 

"But what about the two other sets you mentioned before?" 

"This is where I can't understand. They are they footprints of less delicate peoples than the princess, yes. But they are also small and definitely female." 

"Then how could the princess have been kidnapped, by two small young girls?" another asked. 

"I have a theory that she ran off with a couple of her ladies in waiting," another answered. 

"My goodness would she get in trouble then. The council of lords would most likely force her to abdicate or even throw her in the dungeon. It is a crime for the princess to leave the castle before she's of age, you know." 

"This is the most unsolvable riddle of our age!" One interrupted. He was their obvious leader, the one with the largest and most majestic horse and saddle, and Chaewon recognized him as one of the youngest among the council of lords. "Nonetheless, let's stop here. Search every crevice you can find!" 

Now the girls became really panicked but they still desperately tried not to make a noise, breathing so softly, not moving despite their legs beginning to fall asleep. As quietly and slowly as she possible could, Chaewon reached for Olivia's hand. The two girls made eye contact and Olivia squeezed it, as if to say 'no matter what, I'll be there'. 

The knights spent many minutes searching the area with no luck, not even venturing close to the girl's hiding spot. Many began to grumble, insisting she wasn't there and they should move on before she moved any further. Almost all of then got back onto their horses, and the trio felt as though they could breath again. 

But they were not so lucky. Just as the girls were beginning to relax a little the noise of unsheathed swords clanged from behind them. All three whipped around to find five knights, swords pointing directly in their faces. 

"What is your business in these woods? Who are you and where do you come from? I am of the search party for Princess Chaewon; answer me quickly," one asked in a fierce voice. 

"Wait..." Another spoke softly, lowering his sword. "You are the princess," he said to Chaewon. 

Her eyes widened, and none of the three girls had the ability to speak. 

"What in ever loving heaven is going on back there? It's time to leave," The leader of their search party yelled, leading his horse over to the bush where Olivia, Chaewon, and Yerim had been discovered. His jaw dropped as soon as he saw the princess, sliding off of his horse. 

"Princess Chaewon?" He asked breathlessly. They had met before and Chaewon knew now she couldn't get away with claiming she wasn't the princess. "What in God's name are you doing here, so far from the castle? And who are these girls with you?" 

Chaewon was about to speak but suddenly Olivia leapt up, her eyebrows furrowed, hand clutching the handle of her sword. 

"I am her kidnapper." 

A murmur went through the crowd of knights who had surrounded the girls. 

"That's not true-" 

"It is," Olivia interrupted Chaewon. "It is very true. I may not look strong enough to kidnap a princess to your eyes. And she may not have shackles on her wrists or legs but she is my prisoner. I have brainwashed her with magic to follow me without question." 

"She is lying!" Chaewon cried, her voice shaky as she stood up too. "It's not the truth. I came willingly." 

"You see, the magic has taken a hold of her mind," Olivia answered. "She will not speak the truth of the matter. She cannot." 

"You know a crime as great as kidnapping of the princess is punishable by death, correct?" 

"Yes, sir." 

Yerim squeaked and Chaewon sobbed. 

"I-It's not true," Chaewon spoke. 

"Why would you do this?" The leader asked. 

Olivia stood firmly before them, unafraid. "Once, I was a knight like all of you. In fact, I was one of the most skilled knights in all the kingdom, training since I was very young. More than three months ago now I won our kingdom's jousting competition. But the leaders of our order, knowing my gender, were threatened and threw me out for good. I wanted my revenge, and I wanted every man and woman in the kingdom to know. So I kidnapped the princess, and when I got caught, my story would have to be told." 

"I came willingly," Chaewon insisted, tears running down her cheeks. She knew what the castle would do to her lover. "I was not kidnapped I came of my own accord." 

"Someone get the princess back to the castle, quickly. Find the healers and tell them she has been cursed by witch magic and needs immediate assistance." 

Chaewon in a panicked breath as Olivia breathed a sigh of relief. A random knight picked up the small princess and put her on his horse. She immediately tried to get down, reaching for her sword, screaming and crying; she wouldn't let Olivia take the brunt of all of this. She just wouldn't. 

"Please believe me, I am not under any magic! I came willingly! Please take me as you take her! Let her go free!" Chaewon cried, the knight forced to pin her down on the horse. 

"Chaewon!" Olivia cried, and the princess was shocked into silence. Olivia glared at her lover, pleading with her eyes for her to stop. Chaewon knew she was glad to do this, proud to do this, to take the fall for her love, but it broke Chaewon's heart. And she couldn't let her do this. 

So as soon as she planned to start throwing a fit again the horse began to ride off into the distance. 

"Olivia!" She cried before her voice faded away. 

"Handcuff her arms and legs to my saddle," the leader spoke and two got to work, eyeing her with glares, as the leader finally turned his attention to a trembling Yerim. 

"And you," he spoke. "What part in all this do you have to play?" 

Despite her shaking, Yerim stood up and saluted. "My name is Choi Yerim and I am Olivia's loyal and faithful squire," she explained. 

"I also used the witch magic on her," Olivia calmly insisted from where she was being tied up. "I needed her assistance but she had no part to play in my evil." 

"Olivia!" Yerim whined. 

"What do we do with her, sir?" One of the knights questioned to the leader. 

"Don't restrain her," He started, getting back onto his horse and clutching Olivia in a way that made her grimace. "But bring her back to the castle as well. We will need her for questioning." 

"Yes sir," he answered, picking up the very young girl and putting her on his horse. 

"Alright, we depart for the castle!" The leader cried as all of the knights cheered. Olivia was silent and Yerim gave a worried whimper at her friend and master. And the riding began, taking the girls back to the castle so quickly when it had taken them so long to get this far away. 

"The reward is mine," the leader spoke with a grin. "And my son will have the princess's hand!" 

Now, it was Olivia's turn to get tearfull.