in which olivia kidnaps the princess

Tales of the Outside World

It had been a few days since Olivia had been kicked out of the knight's order and nothing had happened. Her and Yerim were wandering around the market, gathering the cheapest food they could find, and trying to come up with some sort of plan for revenger. 

"Um...can I ask you something?" Yerim asked quietly as Olivia bought some apples, using the last of her coins. 

"Yeah?" 

"What...what exactly do you mean when you say you want to get revenge?" 

Olivia thought for a moment. "I just...I want everyone to know that a girl can cause just as much destruction as a man. And that I'm pissed off, of course." 

"Everyone, ma'am?" 

"Everyone. The knights, the nobles, the monarchy itself..." 

"Then, ma'am...you're going to need to target something that everyone knows about, and something that nobody can cover up. Like if something happened to a famous person. I mean a famous person that people liked." 

Olivia froze in the midst of the pathway; they had left the market a while ago and were making their way back to the little encampment they'd established in an abandoned field just outside the town. 

"Then it must be something to do with Princess Yeojin." 

Yerim gasped. "You can't kill her!" 

"No, no I would never do something like that." Olivia hummed. "But we can't let her off easy." 

The squire frowned as the two girls sat beneath the tree by their things, pulling out the apples they bought for lunch. With their knifes they chopped their lunches up into pieces. Yerim winced as Olivia stabbed through the apple particularly aggresively. "Nothing too awful, please ma'am." 

"No. Just mentally." 

Yerim stared at the former knight wide eyed as a sudden grin appeared on her face. 

"What?" 

"Let's kidnap her." 

"WHAT?" 

"Yes, it's perfect..." 

"Ma'am I am very sorry to doubt you but how will this work? Where will we take her? What will we do with her? How will we feed her? How will we even get into the royal suites?" 

"Easy. We simply traverse the country and stay on the run. Either we get caught and I explain everything, or when the time feels right, let her go and tell her to tell the world our story. And as for getting her in the first place..." Olivia slowly began to grin. "Every good castle resident knows that before the king had children, he would sneak his mistresses in through a trap door in the roof of the future princesses royal suites. We'll just go in and lift her out of the bed while she's asleep." 

"And nobody is guarding this trap door?" 

Olivia smiled and shook her head. "It's illegal to guard the trap door. It's written in the laws of our kingdom." 

Yerim frowned. "This is never gonna work," she mumbled with a touch of fear in her voice. 

But Olivia was the picture of confidence, wearing a grin Yerim had never seen before. "Oh yes it will." 

~~~~~~~~~~

It was the night of the great plan, as Olivia had dubbed it, and the two girls were on the roof of the castle. To Yerim's shock, not a soul was in sight. 

Yerim was holding a rope that was tied around Olivia's waist on one end and a heavy rock on the other. With the help of a pulley system, Yerim was to lift Olivia and the young Princess Yeojin straight out of her bed, after Olivia had muffled with some extra rope and cloth, of course. The squire's hands shook; she was still nervous and hesitant about the plan, but Olivia had so much confidence that it eased her slightly. 

"I'm not sure if this door leads to Princess Chaewon or Princess Yeojin's room," Olivia whispered. "But we'll know as soon as we open the door." 

Yerim nodded and the two girls unlocked and lifted the heavy wood, trying to cover their grunts so nobody would hear. With a soft sigh the trap door was open, and the girls leaned over and looked in. 

Right there in the center of the bed was the young Princess Yeojin herself, sleeping peacefully. 

"Yes," Olivia whispered. 

"Wait...isn't Princess Yeojin's room famous for being bright orange?" Yerim worriedly whispered. 

Olivia shrugged. "Well, I mean, she's down there..." 

Yerim gave Olivia one last pleading look but realizing it was useless, she grabbed the rope. "I'll lower you down." 

Olivia gave her a nod and the former knight began her descent into the dark room. 

Looking around the ornate room, Olivia was stunned. Lit only by the fading candlelight and low hearth, even in the darkness she could tell it was beautiful, more magnificent than anything she had ever seen in her orphaned life. The walls and decor were all a soft pink and eden green, delicate to perfectly match a princess's constitution. 

For the first time since her plan had hatched, nerves began to bubble up in Olivia's stomach. To be honest she really hadn't thought it would get to this point. But she squashed the butterflies in her stomach and began to creep towards the bed. 

She was close now, standing over the little girl. Princess Yeojin was even more beautiful than pictures and paintings made her out to be, much smaller as well. She had heard the whole royal family was tiny but had not expected this. Nonetheless it would make this entire process far easier, and she began to reach to grab the twelve year old princess. 

But a rustling noise made Olivia stand still with a snap, leaning away from the princess. She looked over to the other side of the bed to see another girl staring back at her, her face in shadow. 

Despite the darkness in the room, Olivia did not for one second think this other girl was a simple lady in waiting or servant. She was too delicate, too blonde, too beautiful. She had to be Princess Chaewon. The older princess's face was less familiar to her (and in fact the entire kingdom) as it was not plastered on every surface. But there was no mistaking it was her; her royal energy permeated throughout the room. 

"Hello?" the princess whispered, coming out like a question. 

For a brief moment, Olivia hoped she was just sleep talking. "H-Hi," she stuttered. 

"What are you doing here?" 

Olivia stared into the princess's eyes and realized she was fully awake. Her fingers began to tremble in the darkness, her mind too clouded to think of an excuse or to even tug on the rope, the signal for Yerim to pull her up. 

"I'm here to kidnap your sister." 

To Olivia's surprise, Chaewon did not respond in any way she could make out in the darkness. Something about it struck Olivia; that was probably how she would have reacted if she was in a similar situation. 

"Why?" Chaewon simply responded. 

"Um..." Olivia figured she might as well tell the whole truth now that part of it was out. "I'm a castle knight. Well, I was a castle knight. I won the jousting competition but they got mad because I was a girl so they kicked me out. I wanted to get revenge. But... in a way that everyone in the kingdom would know about it. I...I'm gonna bring Princess Yeojin back at some point so she can tell my story. So that...that the leaders of the knights can't keep it under wraps any longer." 

Chaewon just nodded silently, thinking for a moment. 

"Take me instead." 

"What?" Olivia whisper-yelled. 

"Shh!" Chaewon answered, sparing a brief look at her sister who was still fast asleep. "Don't wake her up. She won't be happy." 

"I need to take your sister." 

"You don't want to do that." 

Olivia scoffed very quietly. "Trust me, I do." 

"No way. Let me just tell you, my sister is twelve. And I love her to death but she can be really, really annoying. She will put up a fight. And if she doesn't escape or defeat you, she will annoy you until you let her go. And she won't do anything you ask. Plus...she gets scared really easily. I mean....she still sleeps in my bed every night, as you can see. You won't be able to go anywhere or do anything." 

Olivia sighed softly. That was a valid point, and Yerim was enough of a child for Olivia to put up with. And even childlike Yerim was still older with years of toughness and maturity as a squire and orphan under her belt. 

"But..." Olivia whispered. "Why do you want to come?" 

"I have things I want to escape from; just for a little while. I'll need to come back at some point, since having Yeojin as the heir would be just about the worst fate our kingdom could face. But I want to leave. And when I come back, I won't tell anyone I came out of my own free will. So you can make your point." 

The more Olivia thought about it, the more beneficial this situation was turning out to be. She didn't have to put up with a fussy twelve year old princess who was terrified and angry. Instead, she would get a girl her own age who was coming out of her own free will. It may not have as much of an impact as kidnapping Princess Yeojin, but Princess Chaewon was still beloved, and she was the kingdom's heir. 

"Alright," Olivia whispered. She was still confused but why should she care when it was working out in her favor. 

"How are we getting out of here?" 

Olivia beckoned the princess towards her. Slowly Chaewon wandered over, careful in her steps not to wake her still snoring sister. 

"My squire's gonna pull us out when I give the signal. Now...hold onto me." Olivia was not personally a fan of touching or being touched, so this was going to be awkward. 

Clearly the princess wasn't a fan either because she winced, but eventually nodded. The princess wrapped her arms around Olivia and held her tight. Olivia wrapped her arm around Chaewon's tiny waist, hands shifting in her long nightdress, and tugged the rope. 

Slowly but surely Yerim pulled them up out of the room and out into the fresh night air. Yerim didn't even notice how it had gone until she was panting, watching Olivia and the princess shut the trap door. 

"Princess Chaewon?" she whisper-yelled. "Where's Princess Yeojin?" 

"She volunteered," Olivia answered, still surprised. Yerim's eyes bulged out of her skull and Chaewon gave a confirming nod. 

"W-Well," Yerim stuttered, standing up and bowing to the princess. "This is my master Olivia Hye, knight of- knight of the world. And I am her squire, Yerim." 

Chaewon gave her a smile, like the one she had given Princess Yeojin as they ascended through the trap door, her last glimpse at her sister before unknown adventure. 

"Well, I'm Chaewon. No need to call me princess anymore, I guess. I'm not gonna be a princess for a while." 

Yerim gave her a smile and Olivia gave her a solemn nod. 

"Now, where are we going?" 

Olivia and Yerim looked at each other, then back to Chaewon and shrugged. 

"Well, we're going to have to get out of here, and out of here fast. As soon as anyone realizes I'm gone my mother will send the knights after me." 

"We can stop at our camp to pick up our things and head off." 

"Outside of the castle?" Chaewon asked, a touch of nervousness in her voice.

Olivia snorted. "Of course. I told you they kicked me out." 

"I-" Chaewon started, staring off into the distance. Up here, on top of the castle, she could see everything: the whole castles, everything inside the walls, and then the outside, something she had never experienced before. But, she was ready. 

"Then, let's go."