in which chaewon masters the sword

Tales of the Outside World

A/N: don't forget, black lives matter! go to blacklivesmatter.carrd.co for more information and things you can do to contribute to the movement.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was a dangerous game, being Olivia's.

It had been two weeks since their confession in the dark. Those two weeks since had been the best of Chaewon's life thus far. With Yerim constantly eyeing them knowingly the girls held hands as they traversed in the woods, talked and shared their hearts as often as they could, and kissed and held each other in the evening and night. On the surface it appeared as if little had changed but in actuality everything had. The wall between the two girls, put in place as soon as they'd met, had fallen away completely. They were entirely themselves with each other; Chaewon had never been closer to a person in her life and she was sure Olivia hadn't either. 

But this was the problem. All of the wonder and affection and growing love was what made their new relationship dangerous. 

Chaewon had been set in her plan, to leave at some point, since the very beginning. She'd maintained doubts, always, but she had never really swayed, until now. At this point, she wasn't sure if she could separate herself from Olivia anymore. She truly wasn't sure if either of them would survive. 

But she had to. She couldn't abandon her country, could she? She couldn't leave her mother and sister thinking she was dead forever, and she especially couldn't leave her sister to deal with the aftermath of everything. As much as her love for Olivia grew, her love for Yeojin was still more established. Yeojin was her sister after all. But her heart ached at the very thought of going back. 

She couldn't put Yerim and Olivia in any more danger, either. They had started this plan to make a statement to the castle, no matter the cost, but Chaewon didn't want to see them hurt, or in jail, or possibly tortured for what they had done. What they deserved was to be able to go off in free exile from this kingdom after everything was over, free of danger. The longer Chaewon stayed with them, the more of a chance they all had of getting caught. Olivia could handle whatever the kingdom punished her with, but Chaewon didn't know if she could bear seeing her lover in pain. And Yerim was too soft, too precious to survive the torture. 

Chaewon tried her absolute best to ignore and suppress these thoughts as the trio continued on their journey, still in the midst of the wilderness. She couldn't let her fears and the future affect her now, her precious times with the woman she knew to be the love of her life. Yet, she could still see in Olivia's eyes that she had the same thoughts. They both worried but they both cared so much for each other that it pushed out the worry. It had to. 

The girls had paused for lunch, sitting by a small stream. It was now truly winter but up here in the country it was all beautiful, the sun shining down on them, so different from the cold dark of winter in the castle walls or at the squire or knight's barracks. Chaewon rested her head on Olivia's hair, her lover looking off into the distance as she mindlessly combed through Chaewon's blonde hair. How could Chaewon ever want to leave this behind, and go back to a life of duty, a life lived for others rather than herself?

"Chaewon," Olivia spoke softly. Chaewon smiled gently up at the dark haired goal, feeling full and impossibly contented (despite the warning constantly thrumming in the back of her mind and heart). "Would you like to stay here for the day and practice with your sword?" 

The princess shrugged. "Sure," she spoke, sadly getting off of her and pulling her small sword out of her boot. As she had come to know Olivia she had come to appreciate her need to learn how to use a sword. As bad as she thought she was, she understood its importance. Plus, Yerim and Olivia had insisted she had been improving, which greatly encouraged her. 

"We're staying here practicing? Yes!" Yerim said excitedly. Chaewon grinned at her affectionately. She'd already appreciated the fourteen year old squire a lot (as she had filled in for her sister on their journey), but she had also been such a good sport about being the third wheel to her and Olivia since their confession, so she even cherished her more. 

Chaewon and Olivia shared a smile as Yerim pulled out her own sword. 

"I challenge you to a duel," she said in a dramatic voice. 

Chaewon chuckled and waved her sword in her own face. 

"Need my help?" Olivia asked the princess. 

"Let me try on my own," Chaewon said confidently, despite the nerves buzzing in her chest. She knew Yerim would never hurt her but now that she and Olivia were together, she desperately wanted to impress the other girl with her new skills. She had now gotten to the point where she could beat Yerim in a duel about a quarter of the time, if Yerim went easy on her or was tired and having an off day. 

So the duel began and Chaewon's heart raced, with the excitement of it all and her partner's loving eyes on her and Yerim, no hint of tiredness in her eyes, ready to face against this. Everyone knew Chaewon would probably lose but nobody cared. It was so safe, just the three of them, despite them being out in the middle of nowhere. 

Her and Yerim faced off against one another, swords clinking in the sunlight, silent except their feet on the grass and loud breaths. It was a long duel, the longest Chaewon had ever faced off in, the longest she had ever managed to hold her own. 

And at the end...she won. She won, all of her own skill, even when Yerim didn't let up for a second. 

She was relieved to find no hard feelings in Yerim's eyes, instead just pride from both her and Olivia. They ran toward the princess and captured her in a hug. 

"Wait! Sword! Be careful!" Chaewon cried, everyone giggling as they moved aside to let Chaewon drop her sword to the ground without hurting anyone. 

"You've gotten so good! I don't even care that I lost!" Yerim spoke loudly with a big smile. 

"I...I'm so proud Chaewon," Olivia said softly, nuzzling into Chaewon's neck. 

Normally Chaewon was not used to this type of affection but it felt so nice and right coming from Olivia and Yerim, the truest friends she'd ever had. 

"Do you think you're ready to take me on?" Olivia spoke lowly. Yerim pulled out of the hug and laughed but waggled her eyebrows at the couple. 

"Now that you can beat me, sometimes, you oughtta try!" Yerim said excitely. 

Chaewon wrapped her arm around Olivia's waist. "Have you ever won against her?" 

Yerim giggled. "Nope! But I've gotten a little bit close..." 

"She has," Olivia answered. "I'm not expecting you to beat me. If you do I won't be mad, I just think it might be fun." 

Suddenly, Chaewon picked her sword back up off the ground. Olivia pulled away from her and the two raised their swords at one another, fierce yet light expressions on their faces and in their eyes. Yerim squeaked excitedly and sat down on a rock to watch the couple face off. 

Their swords clinked together and they shared a giggle, Yerim leaning in closer. 

They battled for a few minutes, Chaewon growing more and more confident as Olivia grew more and more proud of how much better her partner had become.

Finally, Olivia knocked Chaewon's sword out of her hands and held the sword near to her, the gesture of having one. But not one to let another have the last word Chaewon knocked at Olivia's feet, making her fall over. Unfortunately Olivia tried to use Chaewon to catch herself so the two went toppling over in the grass, Olivia landing on top of Chaewon, the two softly grunting. 

"That was dangerous!" Olivia cried. "I still had my sword in hand; you could have hurt yourself." 

Chaewon giggled. "Is someone a sore sort of loser?" 

Olivia chuckled. "Alright, fine. Perhaps that tactic wasn't fair in a duel, but if you were in danger that might work. Although, we did end up in this position." 

"I don't mind, do you?" Chaewon teased. 

Olivia hummed and pecked her lips. "Not at all." 

The former knight sighed and made no move to get off of the princess, resting her head on her chest. "I'm so proud of you, you know bub? You did it. You battled me and stood your ground, at least for a little while." 

Chaewon cupped Olivia's cheek and Olivia moved back, closer, giving her a kiss and Yerim squealed excitedly in the distance.