in which chaewon visits the dungeons

Tales of the Outside World

As Chaewon was getting ready for bed that evening, a fire burned within her. Yet, she'd had more hope than ever before. 

It almost felt like the times before, with Vivi combing and braiding her hair down the back, giving her indispensible advice and preparing her for when Yeojin would sneak in to sleep. But everything had changed: Chaewon had finally seen what was outside of these castle walls, she'd ventured into places without comforting beds to sleep on, she had met people she never could have met here, and she knew who Vivi truly was: a noble lady, one of the most loving women in the world, and truly, her other mother. She'd known it before, that Vivi had practically raised her, but now she knew the reason why. 

"Vivi?" Chaewon said softly. 

"Yes, Chaewon." 

"Once I'm queen I'll fix everything for you. You can be a noble woman again and you and my mom will be able to be together. I promise." 

The hands in her hair froze; it was a long while before Vivi moved or spoke again. "Thank you," she finally said. Although it sounded simple Chaewon could hear her voice crack and tremble, more emotion behind it than she'd ever heard prior. "And," she said, braiding Chaewon's hair again. "I've heard she's being kept in the dungeons. Just so you know." 

Chaewon rapidly turned around with wide eyes, but Vivi just sighed. 

"Please, let me finish your hair, it'll get ripped out," she said. Shaking, Chaewon turned back around, letting Vivi finish her nighttime ritual. But her mind was racing, trying to figure out when she could go or how the hell to even get to the dungeons. "Don't go just yet," Vivi spoke, reading the princess's mind. "Yeojin's been waiting to see you for days now." 

Chaewon's heart broke at the mention of her sister. Out of everyone she'd ever known she missed her the most during her journey. She was the reason she had even planned on returning and she was the reason she was going to stay. If Yeojin wasn't a factor, Chaewon would have just found Olivia and ran off with her as quickly as their legs would take them. 

"Of course," Chaewon answered. Vivi finished her braid, tying up the end with that eden green ribbon. The one Chaewon had on her journey was tucked away in a safe place, a memento of everything that had happened. It felt strange to have a new one, clean and unsullied in her hair. 

Vivi patted her shoulder and gave the princess a smile. "I always told you that you would do great things, no matter what happens. You have already done so much, but I know there's more greatness within you." 

Chaewon smiled back, heartened at her words. "Thank you Vivi. Goodnight." 

"Goodnight," the lady in waiting answered, putting out the candle and leaving the room. Chaewon only had to wait a few minutes, then it happened like clockwork: the three knocks, the pause, the two knocks. 

"Come in!" Chaewon cheerfully spoke as the shadowed figure she was sure was her sister quickly tiptoed into the bed. Wordlessly, for once, Yeojin pulled her into a tight hug. 

Chaewon breathed a slow sigh of relief. She'd missed the funny, bright, easily frightened, annoying, endlessly charming darling of the kingdom she knew as her sister. Chaewon quickly held her extremely tiny frame. 

"I missed you so much," Yeojin choked out in a rare moment of vulnerability. "Why did the council make you see all those suitors as soon as you got back?" 

"They're fools, as always," Chaewon answered gently. "But how are you? Have you been alright?" 

"It's been...strange. "There were guards around my room 24/7; I wasn't allowed to leave for any reason. Mom and Vivi visited me often but that was it. But...I really didn't care. All I could think about was if you were safe or not." 

Chaewon's heart broke and yet she felt so proud; she hadn't known Yeojin to be capable of that much worry before.

"You must have been very frightened..." 

Yeojin humphed and crossed her arms. "I was not! I was not scared at all, even though I had to sleep alone every night...but..." she started, her voice getting quieter. "Can I stay here with you tonight?" 

"Of course," Chaewon answered, chuckling at her sister and how the important things about her hadn't really changed at all.  

Yeojin rapidly sat up. "It's crazy that you got kidnapped and I didn't hear anything. We were in the same room, right?" 

Chaewon thought for a moment about what to say, but this was her sister. She should be honest. "You didn't hear because I made sure you didn't hear on purpose. I...went willingly." 

Yeojin stared at her wide eyed. "What?" 

"I know, I know, I'm sorry, I should have left you a note but I was afraid someone would fi-" 

"No! Chaewon, I'm not upset. That makes me feel so much better actually!" 

Chaewon breathed a massive sigh of relief. "Really?" 

"Yes! I was afraid there were horrible people being mean to you out there. I feel so much better knowing that you were having fun." 

"Oh sister," Chaewon breathed out, hugging Yeojin again. 

"But now you owe me," Yeojin answered. "You've actually left the castle! You have to tell me everything about what's out there." 

Chaewon smiled. "It's better than you could ever imagine," she said, and started talking. She told her sister about every part of her journey, from the witches to the pirates to the bar fights to learning to use a sword and falling madly in love. And Yeojin listened with rapt attention, taking it all in. Chaewon smiled, looking at her sister. She remembered the reason she had thought to sacrifice everything in the first place. 

~~~~~~~~~~

Once Yeojin was fast asleep (she really was interested in Chaewon's adventures, but it was obvious she hadn't slept well without Chaewon and crashed quickly), Chaewon slowly slid out of bed. It was time to look for the dungeons. 

Chaewon grabbed her room key opened her door, just to see what was going on. To her surprise there wasn't a guard in sight; they must have assumed no one would bother to try kidnapping the princesses again once the first attempt happened. She locked the door to her room before grabbing a candle off the wall and dashing down the hall.

Although she didn't really know where dungeons were she assumed they were down. So she found the first staircase she could and just descended, and descended, and descended. At one point she thought she would never reach the end but finally, she came to a thick door with metal bars on it, and no more stairs except going back up. If anywhere was the dungeon, it was here. 

She tried the thick door but of course, it was locked. Chaewon sighed deeply, patting around her pockets for something. She peered down at the key in her hand. it. 

Chaewon slid the key into the lock and shockingly, it clicked open. With a small gasp she slowly pushed open the door. 

The cells she could see where dark and empty, the guard seated next to the door, fast asleep. Luckily, each cell she peered into was empty so nobody woke up. She grimaced though, making her way down the hall. It was dirty, the distant sound of rats and dripping water making her nauseous. Her heart just ached at the idea of her poor Olivia trapped down here. 

Finally, in the last cell, she saw a figure. In the dim light of her single candle it took a while to make sure it was Olivia, leaning against the wall with her legs outstretched and arms crossed. Her dark hair was messy and tangled and she looked angrier than Chaewon had ever seen but her heart melted and thumped in her heart. 

It took Chaewon crouching beside the cell for Olivia to notice she was there and immediately she crawled over, gripping the metal bars. 

"Ch-Chaewon..." she mumbled, breathing heavily. Chaewon gripped the bars too, covering Olivia's hands with her smaller ones, leaning in close. They placed soft yet intense kisses on each other's lips. The time apart, the manner in which they were torn from each other, the manner in which they were meeting now, it all just led to the weight of this moment. 

"I missed you so much," Chaewon choked out, sparing a quick glance at the guard before turning back to her lover. 

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry it had to happen this way but what else could I have done? It was you or me and I would never let any harm come to you," Olivia answered, the girls sharing another hurried peck. 

"Olivia, my mother in on our side now. On that front I'll try my best but if it fails... I'll do anything to be with you Olivia. Anything," she answered. 

"Chaewon...you can't abandon your country or your sister. Even if we just ran away together, right now, I know you'd be filled with guilt for the rest of your life." 

Chaewon fell silent at that; she knew it was true. But staring into Olivia's eyes, she knew she couldn't live without her either. Something would have to give. Something.