in which the trio meet the coven

Tales of the Outside World

A/N: from now on I will be starting off all my works with a reminder than #blacklivesmatter! go to blacklivesmatter.carrd.co for more information and things you can do to contribute to the movement. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The girl's journey had begun at the end of summer, the warmest part of the year in the Kingdom of Eden. But the cool hands of fall had snapped quickly into Chaewon, Olivia, and Yerim's journey, and a cold snap took over the woods in which they walked. 

The clouds covered the sun, the leaves of the trees wet with dew, the wind sharp and angry against them. During the daytime it was far more comfortable than before; the hot sun had made them exhausted and sweaty, while the cool air kept them awake and alive. 

The real problem was the nighttime. 

It had been two nights since the cold snap had begun and it was miserable. They had decided to make up for it by having more walking time and less resting time. But that was little help either, as it was almost impossible to sleep. Any rest they did get was quickly broken up and uneasy. All in all, the trio had become very unhappy in the damp cold. 

The sky was now pitch black, the sliver of the moon and the light of the stars all they had to guide their way. They staggered on, down the unused path through the wood. 

"I....I can't..." Yerim panted out. "We have to stop." 

"But as soon as we sit I'll freeze!" Chaewon cried. "You both have the clothes of a knight, I am only wearing a nightgown." But suddenly a rock seemed to appear out of thin air on the path, and Chaewon, not noticing it in the darkness of night, tripped and fell. 

"Oof," she groaned and whimpered, clutching her knee. Immediately both Olivia and Yerim dashed over to her, looking over her injury. 

"You're alright, you're okay," Olivia grumbled, more talking to herself than Chaewon or Yerim. 

"Are you okay?" Yerim asked. 

Chaewon nodded, taking in a deep breath. If she had been back in the castle she would have screamed and sobbed, but she didn't want to seem so weak in front of a strong knight like Olivia. 

Yerim gently touched her knee and Chaewon winced, glad her expression was mostly hidden in the dark. 

"I don't think it's bleeding." 

"Me either," Chaewon answered. Olivia breathed a massive sigh of relief. 

"I think our mind's made up then," Olivia spoke. "We should stop." 

"I agree. It's alright, but it hurts a little." 

"I'll help you get over next to the stream," Olivia said firmly. 

"No, I'm oka-" 

Olivia ignored Chaewon and hoisted her slight arm over her shoulder, leading her towards the rocks. Yerim helped guide them and they set her down, Yerim leaping up to start a fire. 

Silently, Olivia ran her fingers over the bruise, and Yerim returned with much wood. 

A fire was started, food was eaten with shaking fingers and by the nearby embers, the girls laid down to rest. It was the coldest night yet and they all inched closer to each other and the fire until they were touching. 

They shivered together, unable to sleep. Olivia sighed and wished she was more upset than she was. Despite the freezing cold, no protection from the outdoors in the night, it felt wonderful to have Chaewon so close to her. She had never slept near anyone before and even the tickles of her hair and the shifting of her tiny frame could not shake her mood, so at ease despite everything. 

But she wished they were all more comfortable; none could even come close to sleep. If their journey continued like this, she wasn't sure how much longer they could go on. 

"I think..." Yerim whispered, breaking the deep silence minus the whistling of the wind. "I think w-we could die out here." 

No one could really answer but Olivia felt Chaewon shudder and not knowing what else to do, held her tighter. The girls silently decided to ignore Yerim's statement, whether or not it was true, and eventually, they all fell into varying degrees of uneasy rest. 

A sound began to meld into Olivia's dreams, her thoughts in her half waking half sleeping mind. It began as just a dream until she became fully aware of her surroundings. On one side of her was Chaewon who had finally fallen into a deep sleep, and on the other was Yerim who was tossing and turning. And above her head...was a rabbit. 

The girls had seen many small animals thus far on their journey, white birds and frogs seeming almost to follow them as they walked on. But none of them had ever seen a rabbit especially one as exquisite as this. It was pure white with a bright pink nose, the kind of rabbit that would fit much better on the lap of the queen rather than deep in the woods. 

The rabbit continued sniffling through Olivia's dark hair and crawling over and around her head. Slowly she sat up, watching this animal. It was unusual really; Olivia knew wild rabbits were not accustomed to people and would not be so bold, even if food was nearby. It seemed as if the rabbit was here on some sort of purpose. 

Olivia was so concentrated on watching this rabbit that she didn't even notice a yellow tabby cat climb up onto Chaewon's stomach, the princess sitting up with a squeak. To both of their surprise the cat was unphased by this, both the cat and the rabbit sniffing all of the girls and their things, the cold forgotten. 

Yerim began to fully awaken as well, watching the animals with just as much surprise as Olivia and Yerim. 

"What...what's going on?" She whispered. 

Olivia and Chaewon both spared Yerim a glance. "I dunno," Chaewon answered. They fell silent again, watching. 

Finally the animals climbed off of them and their things and stood a bit back, just staring. To their shock the rabbit seemed to gesture forward with its head, as if they wanted the trio to follow. The cat let out a tiny meow. 

"Should we?" Yerim asked. 

"Should we what? They're just animals," Olivia answered. 

"They clearly want us to follow," Chaewon explained. 

Olivia scoffed. "How is that even possible?" 

The cat seemed to answer with a particularly aggressive meow while the rabbit gestured forward again. 

"I mean, what do we have to lose?" Yerim spoke up. 

Olivia sighed and rolled her eyes. "Fine." 

Chaewon put out the fire and they gathered their things, standing behind the animals. Somehow they seemed pleased and began to move forward, the girls following diligently behind. 

They followed the river down for a short distance until they reached a small wooden path across it, the rabbit against gesturing for them to follow. With light steps they did as they were seemingly asked, following the animals across the river and deeper into the woods, more dense with trees. 

The girls weren't sure how long they walked; it could have been minutes or hours, but finally they came upon a clearing. 

And slowly, Chaewon gasped. 

It was beautiful, candles and other lights none of the girls had seen before, lights that seemed almost alive, making the area visible. There was nothing on the ground but large black pots (cauldrons, Olivia would say, if the word didn't have such negative connotations) and beautiful cushions for sitting. But as the girls looked up, that was where the beauty seemed to really begin. Up in the treetops was a community of houses, connected by bridges. Now they were covered by the dark and the tree leaves but the girls could still see both animals and people flitting around in their homes in the treetops. 

The rabbit and cat that guided the girls here now dashed off in the darkness, and moments later, two girls emerged with the animals by their sides. They were both undeniably beautiful, dressed in long, flowing dark dresses. The two girls were holding hands and Olivia guessed they were perhaps only a year or two older than Chaewon and herself. 

"Oh, there you are!" The first spoke, flanked by the rabbit. "I'm so glad you've finally arrived." 

"We've been watching you for a while," the second added, her voice breathy and almost...not all there. 

Chaewon and Yerim gazed around in wonder while Olivia gripped the handle of her sword, eyes shifty and roaming. "Where are we? Who are you?" 

Both girls laughed loudly, the sound like tinkling bells. "No need to worry! You'll be safe here," the first girl answered.

"Yerim's statement was right. You both might have perished out there. Usually we are distrustful of outsiders, but since it was a matter of life or death we had our familiars bring us here." 

"H-how do you know my name?" Yerim cried, her amazement turning to worry. 

"Familiars?" Chaewon asked suspiciously. 

Again, the girls just laughed. "We know many things that might surprise you. Like your names, and the purpose of your journey." 

Chaewon gave them both a hesitant look. 

"Nonetheless we should answer Olivia's questions. Maybe that would ease your minds?" The first asked. 

The second laughed, the yellow tabby cat rubbing against her leg. "I think not. The princess knows what we are, and she is afraid." 

Chaewon gasped and the two girls laughed yet again. 

"I am Heejin," the first girl spoke, picking up the rabbit and holding her in her arms. 

"And I'm Hyunjin," the second added. "And we are members of the coven of Kingdom of Eden, whose home you stand in the center of right now. 

Chaewon stood trembling while Yerim and Olivia looked around in shock. 

"W-witches?" Yerim cried.

"Yes, you could call us that," Heejin answered with a smile on her lips. 

"In my studies I have heard much about your kind," Chaewon mumbled. 

"I can guarantee that everything you've heard about us is wrong," Hyunjin responded with a little giggle. 

Olivia, Yerim, and Chaewon shared hurried looks. 

"We cannot stay here, we must go," Chaewon spoke lowly. 

"I agree," Olivia spoke, and Yerim nodded, the two stepping backwards to leave. 

"Wait!" Heejin cried. "Would you rather with death in the freezing cold rather than stay with us? As we said before, we won't hurt you. And everything you know about us is probably incorrect." 

"We can help you in far more ways than just protection from the cold," Hyunjin added. Despite the girl's worry, they did suddenly realize the cold had disappeared as they stepped into this circle, the tempurature instead perfectly comfortable. "We can teach how to get food, and heal your injuries. Chaewon, I'm sure that bruise on your knee will make it hard for you to move quickly. And the entire army is on your tail. We have seen them searching." 

The girls gasped and looked to each other; all of their time in the woods they had felt entirely alone, and had almost forgotten the danger they had put themselves in. 

"Here you are safe. Nobody can find these lands unless we allow them to," Heejin spoke. "Please trust us. You will not regret your stay with us. We only wish to help you." 

The girls looked between each other and sighed. These witches were right, despite all of their hesitance, how would they survive for much longer without them? 

"Fine," Olivia spoke. "We'll stay."