chapter six

Idol

 A/N: Ahh!! I'm sorry for this short and late update everyone. Things have been rough for me these past few days, I'm just trying to get through things and luckily I have this story that I can put my attention to. It's a short chapter but I think you guys will like it! I hope to write longer and better chapters once my mind is more at ease, but for now, this is what I can present to all of you.

 

As always thank you for the constant support, I appreciate every reader and every comment! All love, xx.


How does it actually feel like to fall in love? 

 

Yerin asked herself that question pretty often these days. Was it anything like how it’s shown in dramas? She’s more than smart enough to believe otherwise, but with what she’s going through right now, she has a hard time holding on to that belief. She was practically living in a romance drama.

 

She doesn’t actually why she’s asking herself these questions, Sinb and her only went on ONE date. ONE. She doesn’t even know if she likes Sinb that way… (more like she has a hard time coming to terms with it) 

 

It’s been a couple of days since the dinner date night happened, Sinb has been keeping in contact with her through Kakaotalk. The idol often texts her first, asking trivial questions like has she eaten or what she was doing at the moment. She appreciated the gesture but felt bad for not engaging the conversation first just as often. 

 

Apparently due to the CoronaVirus pandemic and quarantine things going on, all of Sinb’s comeback activities have been canceled by her entertainment company and the idol will only be doing her promotions online, however that will play out. Yerin thought that was the best decision anyway, can’t really risk Sinb or fans getting sick at this time. 

 

On the other hand, Yerin has been busying herself with fansite work and other things to occupy her time during quarantine. She finally got around to posting the photos from the fansigning and it was really a shame that she only had those photos to work with, though there were many shots. She planned to slowly release photos a day/week at a time so that she can just drag out what she has. 

 

It’s currently 2:35 PM on a Monday. Usually her Mondays would consist of going to Sinb’s fansignings and performance events but with the current state of the world… 

 

She sighed as she stared at her laptop screen, tinted with boredom. She wondered what Sinb was doing right now. 

 

Right then, it clicked. This is the perfect opportunity to start a conversation with Sinb. But… is it? Wouldn’t Sinb be busy right now with practices and whatever that idols do…? She’s starting to have second thoughts.

 

Well, Yerin is completely aware of the saying “curiosity kills the cat” but she thought --she’s not a cat so it probably doesn’t apply to her. 

 

She picked up her phone and immediately went to Sinb’s Kakaochat. 

 

YR: Hello, Eunbi-ssi

 

For some reason she felt her heart stop when she tapped the send button. But not even seconds later, she received a reply,

 

Eunbi: Yerin-ssi!

Eunbi: Hello <3 

 

Yerin shook her head as she read the reply, the idol had put… a heart emoticon…

 

She tried to not let it get to her, it’s just a damn emoticon for god’s sake, everyone uses those.

 

YR: What are you doing?

 

Eunbi: Eum… nothing much really. Just on my bed, getting some rest.

Eunbi: I finished practicing a few hours ago, my manager said that I could take the whole day off considering there’s nothing much to prepare for…

 

YR: I see

 

Eunbi: Ah that reminds me! How have you been doing Yerin-ssi? You better make sure you’re not going out as much and keep wearing that black mask of yours alright??

 

YR: Right back at you, Eunbi-ssi. You shouldn’t get sick either.

YR: Have you eaten lunch?

 

Eunbi: I haven’t, actually. I think you just made me hungry Yerin-ssi :(

 

Eh? What’s with the sad face? 

 

YR: I’m sorry…

 

Eunbi: Now that means you have to make up for it! Give me your address. :)

 

YR: Pardon…??

 

Eunbi: Cmon, I’m going to go get ready. I better have that address when I’m getting out of the apartment! 

 

YR: Um… okay. Hold on a second

YR: [Yerin’s address]

 

And with that… Sinb just went offline. Yerin is confused, very confused. Is Sinb actually going to come over…? Yerin looked down to what she was wearing, she was in one of her spaghetti straps and gym shorts. Without any further thought, she bolted to her room and changed into something more casual and appropriate. 

 

As much as she tried not to panic over the fact that Sinb might be on her way to her apartment right now, she couldn’t help it. THE Hwang Eunbi is coming over to her apartment? Yerin genuinely didn’t even expect that things would go this fast.

 

YR: Are you actually coming over, Eunbi-ssi?

 

Yerin really didn’t want to be THAT person, but again, she couldn’t help it. She’s a nervous wreck right now and her gut is telling her that she needs some type of confirmation in order to calm herself down.

 

Eunbi: Mhm. I got some takeout for us, prepare glasses please~~

 

YR: Stay safe. 

 

After about 10 minutes of pacing back and forth in her apartment, her eyes roaming around nervously to make sure everything was at the very least clean and neat, Yerin heard her doorbell ring. Her poor heart couldn’t stop thumping. 

 

“Coming!” She yelped, quickly moving her feet towards her door, unlocking it to reveal the none other than Hwang Eunbi. The idol was dressed really casually, only wearing her white t-shirt which was tucked into her mom jeans paired with a black belt wrapped around her waist, her face was covered by a black mask and she was also wearing a black cap similar to what Yerin has inside her own closet.

 

Yerin ushered her way into her apartment, making way for Sinb to come inside. She turned around and saw how the idol was roaming her eyes everywhere around her living room. She saw how Sinb’s cheeks were visible above her mask, she was probably smiling really wide under it. 

 

“Hello, Eunbi-ssi. Um… make yourself at home! Also, here-” Yerin slurred her words a little too fast, then she took the hand sanitizer that was sitting on her kitchen counter, directing it towards Sinb who had her hands busy with plastic bags full of warm takeout. 

 

The idol’s eyebrows shot up and rushed to Yerin’s coffee table (which Yerin had also prepared with plates and two glasses, just as Sinb asked her) to put down the food and quickly came back to have her hands sanitized. “Thank you,” She thanked Yerin while rubbing her hands with the cool liquid. 

 

“Um… so was it hard to get here? It’s not that far from your apartment if I remember correctly.” Yerin said as she made her way to her sofa, trying to make conversation with the idol. She finds it hard to believe that Sinb’s actually in her apartment right now. But then again, many unbelievable things had happened in the course of these past few days.

 

“It wasn’t that bad of a trip,” Sinb replied, walking towards the sofa after Yerin. “I’m starving!!” she continued as she sat down next to the girl. 

 

“I got us some cheesy tteokbokki, chicken tonkatsu, jajangmyeon and… I wasn’t sure what you would like as a drink so I just got us both some Iced Lemon Tea! And don’t worry, it’s on me” 

 

“Thank you for the food, Eunbi-ssi. You didn’t have to.” 

 

“Of course I had to, aren’t we dating?” 

 

“Ah…”

 

“Are we not?” Sinb asked playfully, her hands plating the food she had brought for the both of them. There was a small smile tugging her lips, but Yerin couldn’t see because of the mask she was wearing. 

 

“I-I guess we are…” 

 

“Good, thought this was one of those unrequited love things that I got myself into, phew…” 

 

Sinb chuckled at her own words while Yerin sat there mum, her cheeks tinted itself with a light shade of pink with her heart flustered as ever. The plated food was finally ready.

 

Yerin turned to face the idol beside her. For what it’s worth, it really bugged her that Sinb hasn’t taken off her cap and mask. She desperately wanted to see Sinb’s face, you could say that she missed Sinb... 

 

So she did just that, before she could even think twice--her hands moved towards Sinb’s cap and it was pulled off of the idol’s head. Surprised, Sinb turned to face Yerin and when she did, Yerin then pulled her mask down.

 

“I’ll eat well, thank you for the food, Eunbi-ssi,” Yerin quickly said, moving her attention towards the plated food in front of her. She took a bite of the cheesy tteokbokki, humming as the taste hit her tongue, “This is so good, I haven’t had tteokbokki in a while.” 

 

Sinb was left dumbfounded, blood rushing to her cheeks. She pursed her lips and took a deep breath in an attempt to calm down her stammering heart. 

 

“I saw your tweet about craving it yesterday.” 

 

“Hm…” Yerin hummed, busy chewing the chewy rice cakes. After swallowing, she continued, “Let me follow you back on my private, that’s if you’re comfortable…”

 

“Who follows you there? Would they notice me?”

 

“Depends… what’s your username?”

 

“Uh… give me your phone.” 

 

Without waiting any further, Yerin grabbed her phone that was beside her and unlocked it, opening Twitter and handing it to Sinb. Her eyes were focused on the idol who had her fingers busy.

 

“Here.”

 

@shinhwangbi98

 

“Hm… I think it should be okay. This is my private anyway, the people who follow me are my close friends and two other fansite masternims who I’ve gotten close to recently.”

 

Yerin continued to scroll through Sinb’s profile to make sure it was okay to follow her, she looked through Sinb’s followers and following list too. She noticed some familiar display names that made her question. And it was true, Sinb was indeed following Yerin (fansite account) and she was one of the few fansites that the idol had followed, none of the others who Yerin knew personally though.

 

“Are these other celebrities or am I just making assumptions?”

 

“What do you think?” Sinb smirked. Yerin couldn’t help but follow, the idol leaned towards Yerin’s phone and scrolled through her followings herself, stopping at one particular username.

 

“This is Sowon, you know her right?”

 

“The… Kim Sojung, Sowon…? I love her dramas!”

 

“Yup. I’ve known her since debut. We meet up often every other day in the week to catch up, do you want to come with some time? I feel like you both would be great friends” Sinb said like it was the most normal thing in the world. Did she really just ask Yerin to join her to have a meetup with THE Kim Sojung? 

 

“Wouldn’t that be weird? We barely know each other too you know?”

 

“Well, for your information Yerin-ssi, Sojung and I are best friends. She wouldn’t mind and she’s really friendly with other people. I doubt she’d make things weird or awkward for any of us. And plus, she knows about you already.”

 

“That’s news to me. Didn’t even think you guys would have that type of friendship since none of you mention each other but I suppose it’s possible…”

 

“Mhm. Anyway, Yerin-ssi, have you thought about Minseok-oppa’s offer?” 

 

Yerin locked her phone and picked up her chopsticks again, mixing them into the jajangmyeon now. She tilted her head trying to give Sinb an answer.

 

“I’m not sure, I’m still thinking about it.” 

 

“Do you have any questions? You can ask me too, you know? Since you’ll be working with me, at least that’s what Minseok-oppa had mentioned.”

 

There was a short pause to their conversation, Yerin wanted to be honest.

 

“I’m just not sure how to approach it, do you know what I mean? Like if we’re going to be really serious about this, then I might have to shut down my fansite and this might sound childish but there’s some type of sentimental value to it that I’m afraid to let go of.” 

 

Yerin continued, “Or perhaps, I’m thinking too much, am I?” the girl turned to the idol, who already had her gaze fixed on Yerin, listening to all of her worries.

 

“Of course you’re not Yerin-ssi, and I understand what you mean. You’ve worked hard for that fansite to be where you are today. There’s gotta be something to that if anything…”

 

Yerin only nodded, she felt her heart feel lighter as if there was a weight that was pulling it down before. She couldn’t really talk to anyone about the matter, not without having to lie about being with Sinb like this so she was really glad that at least one person could listen to her and understand her feelings. 

 

“Okay, what about we’ll give Minseok-oppa a call later today or whenever you feel ready, I’ll be here with you all the while you ask whatever you need to know so you don’t feel as pressured, how does that sound?” 

 

Yerin’s face brightens up, “I think… that would be nice, Eunbi-ssi. Thank you.”

 

The idol only smiled endearingly before stuffing her face into the tteokbokki that Yerin took the first bite of, she actually forgot that she was starving and the only person she could blame was the girl beside her for being too pretty that her focus was solely on her. 

 

They both continued to eat their lunch and talked about trivial things yet again--about the pandemic that’s currently going on in the world, about the weather and Yerin even dared to ask if the idol was working on any new music at the moment. 

 

It was definitely one of those moments where they’d probably look back and cherish it, it was so simple yet the company they shared was like none other. 

 

Sinb desperately wanted to ask Yerin what she felt about everything now, since ‘everything’ has calmed down and Yerin has had more time to think about it. She wanted to know if Yerin felt the same way, she wanted to know if she was being too much these couple of days. The last thing she wanted to do was make Yerin more uncomfortable than she might’ve been as of right now. 

 

But the idol thought, maybe that would be a better discussion another day. Just being here with Yerin was enough for her.

 

When they were done with lunch, Sinb offered to help with the dishes while Yerin helped with drying them with a towel. Yerin has never actually done that, but for Sinb, she sat on her kitchen counter with a white towel in hand, making conversation through the sound of the sink water running with Sinb trying her best to catch every word that Yerin was saying. It was cute, really. Domestic. And with time, too, Yerin felt more at ease. The anxiety she had earlier vanished like thin air.

 

Afterwards, Yerin showed the idol her room. It was nothing special, though, Yerin had a knack for minimalism that Sinb found to be very fascinating. Her room was almost empty, but at the same time it was carefully filled with many things while still maintaining the neat look. It felt homey at the same time too. “Now I have to show you my room,” Sinb said with a sigh, her room was nothing compared to Yerin’s. It was probably the opposite since Sinb was such a messy person, but maybe she can get away with shoving things under her bed like she always does. 

 

“Do you have a schedule tomorrow, Eunbi-ssi?” 

 

“Nope.” 

 

Both of them were just lounging around in Yerin’s room. They were on Yerin’s bed now, the idol’s legs sprawled across while Yerin sat with her legs folded together near her. For two people who claim to be “dating”, they acted more like best friends rather than a couple. But that’s what Yerin felt content about, Sinb wasn’t rushing into things. She loved that they could just sit like this and not feel any awkwardness in between. 

 

It was already almost six o’ clock in the evening. 

 

“Hm… it’s getting kind of late. Do you want to go home?”

 

“What if I slept over instead...?” Sinb suggested, her tone a little hesitant. 

 

“Oh… are you sure? I mean, I guess I don’t mind- as long as it’s okay with you- you can probably fit into my clothes? I think? They might be a little bigger in size though, would that be okay?--”

 

“Yerin-ssi,” Sinb began, stopping Yerin at her ramble, “I would love to. The question is would you be okay with it?”

 

Yerin pressed her lips into a thin line. Her eyes wandered towards her bedsheets, trying to sort out her feelings and at the same time her thoughts that were now running fast through her. 

 

“I think I’d love that too, Eunbi-ssi.”

 

A bright smile formed on Sinb’s face. She felt really happy that Yerin was comfortable enough to let her sleepover, especially this early into this… relationship? Friendship? ‘Dating period’...? She didn’t know what to label it, but whatever it is, she didn’t feel an ounce of worry. 

 

She just wanted to be with Yerin, that’s all she could ask for from the girl.