chapter twelve

Idol

“It’s been great chatting with you all, I hope this video turns out well and all Mystery’s will love it. Thank you for watching everyone, until next time!” 

 

Sinb waved goodbye towards the camera in front of her with a sweet smile.

 

The filming for her first ever Q&A video has finally come to an end after a couple of hours. Yerin pressed the record button once again to stop the recording, murmuring to herself about how well everything went. Her mind went miles per minute as she was already thinking about how to format the video to make it fun and interesting.

 

On top of being the idol’s video and photo person, Yerin also has the responsibility to come up with video ideas and push them out to the best of her abilities. She also had the freedom to edit them however she liked, and once she’s done, Sinb’s media team will review it and decide if it will be approved or not. This Q&A idea was approved, but she still has to wait and see if the entire video is suitable to be put out to the public.

 

As Yerin was about to unmount her camera from the stand, she felt a presence beside her so she turned her head and was met with the idol who had the cutest smile on her face. 

 

“Hm?” Yerin questioned, a smile forming on her own lips because Sinb’s smile is just that contagious. 

 

“Hi, need any help?”

 

“Hello… Mm... Not particularly, thank you, though…” 

 

“It took a lot of effort not to look at you while filming.”

 

“Ah... really? Lucky me, part of my job is to monitor you through a screen…” Yerin smiled sheepishly to herself.

 

“The next time we film, I’ll have you right by my side.”

 

“And how exactly are you going to do that, Eunbi-ssi? I have no significance to being beside you when the whole point of it is to film you.” 

 

“What Sinb wants, Sinb gets.”

 

Yerin let out a soft chuckle. Sinb has been clingier than usual lately, making the blonde’s heart thump harder each time she gets a little too cheesy with her words along with her small loving touches. For some odd reason, Yerin loved it (the cheesiness of it all). Even though she knew all of it was said ironically, she still took it to heart and her cheeks would get flush red. Perhaps it’s because she could also see how Sinb’s eyes stared into hers, as if the whole world belonged to them and them only every time she would flirt that way. 

 

“Like how you got me?” 

 

“Exactly.” 

 

“Mm…”

 

With most of her schedules cleared, Sinb’s only job these days was to practice for her upcoming comeback and film fun little videos for her fans. Yerin took the liberty to help Sinb with whatever she needed as best she could whilst trying to prepare and execute her job herself. Not that Yerin minded, though.

 

“Are you sure you want to come with me to practice this time too? I don’t mind going alone you know.”

 

“I like helping you with dance, plus, I like dancing too.” Yerin chuckled to the truth of her own words. 

 

“Yeah. And I like watching you dance, it’s really hot.” Sinb shot the blonde a fun wink with a smug smile and if hearts were able to burst, hers would have already exploded into pieces. 

 

So there Sinb goes again with her flirts and winks, making Yerin’s entire being unintentionally insufferable. She wished she could flirt back and poke fun towards the idol too, because really is it that hard to make Sinb all flustered and flush red? 

 

Unfortunately, yes.

 

And even with Yerin’s mind going miles per minute, Sinb always finds a way to direct her focus elsewhere and calm her down from the manic inside her head. 

 

“Thanks… I guess…”

 

“You sure there’s nothing for me to help?”

 

“I’m just afraid you’ll drop my camera.”

 

“Tch. I’ll go order us some lunch then.”

 

“Mm… I’d like some jjajangmyeon, please. Thank you.”

 

“No. We had that yesterday, Minseok-oppa says you need to stay in shape.”

 

“Huh? Why? Did I gain weight?”

 

“I’ll tell you when everything is finalised, for now it’s going to be a surprise.”

 

Sinb then left the room leaving Yerin dumbfounded as she tried to pack back her equipment into its respective bags. A content sigh left her lips, forming a keen smile that she can’t seem to shake off. The idol really has her whipped in the most unexpected ways.

 

Their plans for the rest of the day mostly include each other, with Sinb’s dance practice after lunch and a small date at Contrail Ent.’s rooftop which of course, who else would suggest that other than Hwang Eunbi herself. 

 

The idol came back right on time because Yerin had just finished packing. But there was something odd about Sinb’s body language that the blonde just couldn’t put her finger on it. The atmosphere suddenly became heavier, as if the idol was exuding out her anger into the room.

 

“Is everything okay?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“Your face says otherwise, but I’ll try to take your word on it.” 

 

“Practice is cancelled, do you mind if we go home? Separately?” 

 

“Of course, Eunbi-ssi. Would you let me know when you get home safe?”

 

“I will.”

 

“Okay. Don’t forget that I’m just a call away. Take care, Eunbi-ssi. I hope everything turns out alright, whatever’s going on.”
 

The idol only nodded as a reply, jaw clearly clenched as she tried to hold most of her emotions inside of her. Yerin shot her a weak smile to let her know that she’s not angry or upset with the sudden turn of events and hoped that the message was sent across Sinb’s boiling anger. 

 

By the time Yerin reached home, there was a plastic bag hanging on the knob of her door𑁋her jjajangmyeon. She was actually surprised that Sinb even remembered in the midst of whatever that was going on. And as much as she wanted to text her and say thank you, Yerin decided maybe it would be best to give the idol some space for her to figure things out. The last thing Yerin wanted was to seem like one of those annoying girlfriends who wouldn’t leave each other alone but then again, they aren’t girlfriends…. Yet. 

 

So the blonde thought she should probably get some editing and other work done for now. It’s been awhile since she’s gotten her own alone time like this anyway.

--

 

“Why are you here, Yewon-ah? It better be worth my time. Be quick, you already ruined my plans for the day.” 

 

“Oh cmon, Eunbi-ya, it’s been what? 2 years? Don’t you wanna catch up?”

 

“No. I do not. What do you want?” 

 

“I just wanted to see you.”
 

“There’s literally no reason for you to see me anymore. Not when you’re the one who left for someone else.” Sinb scoffed.

 

“In my defense, that was a one time thing.”

 

“ off.”

 

“Eunha-unnie’s doing fine, by the way.”

 

“Is that why you’re here?”

 

“She just told me to tell you to be more careful, that’s all.”

 

Sinb squinted her eyes narrow, eyebrows strongly furrowed almost connecting themselves together, her blood boiling to its core as she stared down Yewon. 

 

“Listen, I’m not taking any of this bull-”

 

“Jung Yerin, that’s her name, right?”

 

“What?”

 

“Your girlfriend. Jung Yerin. 1996. One of your fansites. Shining_sinbyul on Twitter.”

 

“She’s not my girlfriend.” 

 

“Ah… talking phase?” 

 

Sinb broke her stare and started to sling back her bag onto her shoulder, a sour expression on her face. 

 

“I have no time for this.” the idol bitterly stated as she stood up to leave.

 

“Hey. Okay, look. I promise, no more games. Damn, were you always this worked up?” Yewon immediately said as she grabbed one of Sinb’s arms to stop her from leaving. 

 

Sinb clenched her jaw for the final time before releasing it, huffing out a heavy sigh trying to calm herself from blowing up on the person who broke her heart a couple of years ago. She still can’t believe Yewon is sitting right in front of her right now, with her as always perfectly done ash brown hair just past down her shoulders. That toothy smile that used to make her heart swell up because Yewon was just that pretty when she smiled. Her eyes that were so alluring yet so warm, the remnants of whatever’s left inside her memory are all coming back and she doesn’t like it one bit. Not when she knows Yewon will always have that special place inside her heart even when she was the first one to break it.

 

She sat back down and darted her eyes back towards Yewon, not sparing her even a smile. 

 

“Alright… first of all. I’m sorry. For earlier, for everything, really. It was wrong of me to assume that you’d be okay with seeing me again after what I did to you.”

 

Sinb leaned back into her seat and crossed her arms in response. 

 

“Second. We need to talk about that Jung Yerin of yours…”


“What about her?” 

 

“Eunha-unnie got a tip from anonymous about you both.”

 

“What tip?”

 

“That you guys are dating.”

 

“How…?”

 

“The person called Eunha-unnie’s office using a public phone, so really there’s no way to track them.”

 

“Sure… but why didn’t Eunha-unnie just call me to tell this herself instead?”

 

“She wants us to be friends again. Plus, she’s a little busier than usual these days and couldn’t find the time to clear her schedule for you.”

 

“What did this person say specifically about Yerin and I?”

 

“Just that you guys are dating and seeing each other often, nothing more. It’s honestly a little odd, but Eunha-unnie did say that she gets tips like this everyday and often ignores it unless there’s solid evidence. And that’s why she wants you to be more careful.”

 

Sinb sat mum with a rush of thoughts coming through her. She would be lying if she said that this wasn’t making her anxious and worried. She sort of forgot that she was literally a celebrity with everyone’s eyes on her especially the pesky homophobic netizens. 

 

“I don’t think you have much to worry about, Eunbi-ya. But I guess you guys should have some sort of plan if anything happens in the future, like make your friendship public so that everyone will be sure that you guys are just friends and nothing more. Something like that?”

 

“Yeah, thanks.” the idol wasn’t sure why Yewon was being so nice to her, but then again, Yewon has always been nice. This shouldn’t even be a question but with what she went through she just couldn’t find anything in her to think nicely about the girl in front of her.

 

“So how have you been? Happier, I hope.” Yewon spoke softly but you can hear the guilt masking her voice.

 

“I’m not sure why you’re asking me that when you can check the news and my SNS accounts.” 

 

“That’s Sinb, not the Hwang Eunbi I know.” 

 

“I’ve been fine.” 

 

“Happy?” 

 

“You could say that.”

 

The sudden pause in the conversation just made the air grow thicker. As much as Sinb doesn’t want to admit it, she knew it in her heart that Yewon had no ill intentions. She didn’t have it then, she didn’t have it now. So now it was a matter of question why Yewon did what she did? She has already forgiven Yewon for cheating on her with someone else because everyone makes mistakes (even if cheating is a choice), it was the fact that she left with no words, no calls or texts, no confrontation, nothing.

 

“Why?” Sinb asks, context of the question unclear, “Why did you leave without even saying goodbye?”

 

The anticipation only made Sinb’s flaming heart wilder. Impatient flowed through her veins trying to sink down the bitter feeling inside her chest. Because she knew better.

 

When Yewon finally spoke, she felt her breathe itch because it only reminded her of their parting. 

 

“Guilt went over me and I was selfish. I was selfish for doing you wrong like that, and I was even more selfish for running away from my mistakes instead of taking accountability for my actions. You might not believe me, but I wanted to go back to you, to lower down my ego and have you in my arms again... “

 

“So why didn’t you?”

 

“I figured you hated me that much already.” Sinb scoffed. “I know. I’m sorry, Eunbi-ya. I really am.” 

 

The thick air surrounding them was suffocating. It was as if Sinb wasn’t satisfied with what Yewon had told her. But what else was there to it? They’re already over and things have changed, she’s moved on, she has Yerin now, too. So what was it that she wanted to hear?

 

“I forgive you.” 

 

Yewon, who was fiddling with the brim of her sleeves, looked up as soon as she heard Sinb’s words. 

 

“What?” 

 

“I forgive you, Yewon-ah. Maybe I haven’t fully healed, maybe that’s why I can’t stand looking at you like this. But you’re still someone who I was in love with, who I care about, anyway. I forgive you, and I appreciate the apology.”

 

A small smile curved onto Yewon’s lips, heart feeling the lightest it’s ever been for the last few years. Even if it hurts to see Sinb like this, because she knows for a fact that her heart only ever beats for Sinb, she’s grateful. It’s been that way for awhile now.

 

Though she still can’t decide whether she should thank Eunha-unnie or hold a grudge against her.

 

“Is Eunha-unnie still hung up on Sojung-unnie?” Sinb asked, playfully aware of how the air feels lighter, too.

 

“She’s… managing. She almost wrote a scandal article just so that Sojung-unnie would have to text her about it. Is Yuna-unnie still hung up on Sojung-unnie?” Yewon chuckled. 

 

Sinb almost gags at the mention of the two names, “They’re disgustingly whipped for each other, so I guess you could say that they’re hung up on each other.” 

 

“I miss them, let’s all hangout soon? Maybe bring along that Jung Yerin of yours, too.”

 

“I’ll think about it.” Sinb flicks her tongue with a playful smirk. Yewon could only roll her eyes because she knows Sinb will be the first one to set things up and plan the meet up for all of them. 

 

Their conversation continued, catching up with what’s been happening in their personal lives for the past few years that they’ve cut ties by. 

 

Sinb knew that deep inside her still healing heart, Yewon will always occupy a part of it. No matter how hard she tries to throw it away, no matter how much she wanted to hate Yewon for what she’s caused𑁋the trauma and trust issues that made her build walls higher than she’s ever had to even in the industry she’s in. You know what they say about your first love, it never really goes away, does it?

 

But right now one thing is for certain, and that’s how she’s fallen for Jung Yerin. Because right now, even with Yewon’s pretty smile, warm eyes that she used to love, the way Yewon laughs that used to make her heart jump in circles, Jung Yerin is the only one occupying her mind. 

 

She’s not in love with Yewon anymore, no not at all. 


 


A/N: hi everyone! gosh, it's been A WHILE. i finished my trials today and immediately got home to finish this chapter! i was eager to write because of the ideas that's been floating around in my mind. i hope none of you mind the lack of sinrin in this chapter but i promise there's more to come. rereading the older chapters, i realise that i talk to much in my author's notes so let's keep this one short! as always, comments are appreciated and thank you so much for waiting and reading this chapter ;) take care everyone! stream Apple!!