chapter thirteen

Idol

Yerin remembers the first time she saw Sinb.

 

It’s only because she’s an idol, anyway, that Yerin had the time to even entertain the idea of an uprising idol of her era. She was on the bus, on the way home from her final paper for the semester, Yerin’s eyes couldn’t stop herself from staring at Sinb who was on one of those big screens along the streets of Seoul, dancing along with her new comeback song that couldn’t be heard because of the isolated windows of the vehicle. 

 

Yerin remembers the feeling at the pit of her stomach as went agape𑁋because really who could be this pretty and attractive when dancing? 

 

She whipped out her phone, googling the words she saw at the bottom of the giant screen and that’s when the traffic light went green. Sinb

 

As the bus continued its journey towards the next stop, Yerin busied herself with reading up on her phone, absorbing every information that came up on the search and wiki page that displayed her birth name, age, debut year and so on and so forth.

 

She made a mental note to listen to her songs as soon as she could, that is when she got home and blasted it through the bluetooth speakers inside of her one bedroom apartment, falling in love with each song as if it was written and produced just for her. How could she miss something as good as Sinb’s music? Maybe because she’s never been into the whole KPop idol scene in the first place. 

 

The more videos she watched of the idol, the more invested she got. As if she was digging herself into this hole of infinity. It was video after video, song after song, album after album. And before you know it, she has the complete set of Sinb’s albums even dated back to her debut up until her recent comeback at the time. The way she invested just like that, it must be something. It must be Sinb’s talent, she thought.

 

Obviously being a matured University student, Yerin wasn’t delusional. She wasn’t in love with Sinb or anything of that sort. She just really enjoyed her music and performance. It also helped that Sinb was just witty and her great personality was a plus (though it’s a given, since idols need to be presentable to the public). She loved Sinb as a performer.

 

To think that this was a year ago. And it was only a few months ago that Yerin started to become Sinb’s fansite. It’s been a crazy journey as a fan. Not many were able to do what she did anyway, putting all of her time and money into someone like this. But she loved it so much she couldn’t stop, not when she got to talk to Sinb during fansignings even if it was only for a couple of minutes. 

 

“What are you thinking about?” the idol asked, hands intertwined with her own. They were on her couch all cuddled up against each other. 

 

It’s been a few days since the canceled dance practice and Yerin still has no idea what happened that day.

 

“Do you want to know how I discovered you?” 

 

“Mm…”

 

“I was on a bus going back home from my finals paper, and there you were on the big screen.”

 

“Creep.” Sinb muttered beside her with a light chuckle after.

 

“I’m not really into other idols, you know. So thinking about it now, perhaps it’s fate that brought us together. What if I never bothered to search up your name on Naver?” 

 

“If it’s fate, then we’d still meet. Just a different setting, time and place.”

 

“Mm…” 

 

“Do you want to know how I discovered you?” 

 

“Hm?”

 

“You never came near me, always so far away with your all black attire and mega camera lens. But even that far away, you took the best pictures of me, at least that’s by Minseok-oppa’s judgement. He does photography too. That’s why he picked you for the job, too.” 

 

“I just wanted to respect your personal space, isn’t that common decency?” 

 

“Well, what bothered me more was that I couldn’t see your face, always hiding behind a black mask too.” 

 

“Sorry… I just didn’t want anyone to be familiar with my face. My hair is already an attention seeker on it’s own.”

 

“It’s okay. Though, when you showed me your face at that fansigning, it all made sense why I was so curious about you…”

 

Sinb turned her head, eyes roaming around the blonde’s face, taking note of each mole, curvature and structure to engrave it inside her mind. Memorising it because she knows she’s going to be here for long, even if they don’t make out to be anything in the end. her lips hungry when her eyes land on Yerin’s own pair. 

 

Yerin’s curious brows shot up in question due to the sudden pause, a small content smile on her lips as she followed Sinb’s eyes that were still wandering around her face. 

 

“I only ever saw your eyes when we talked during my fansignings, so forgive me if you find this creepy.” Sinb said almost in a whisper, their close proximity only made her heart jump like it wanted to desperately get out of her chest. It was overwhelming, the fact that Yerin could make her feel this way even by just doing nothing. She remembers this feeling distinctively, when she was with Yewon, that is. 

 

“It’s okay. I think it makes up for all the times I’ve stared at you through my camera lenses… even though that’s literally my job…”

 

“Mm… When’s your birthday, by the way?”

 

“August 19.”

 

“What?”

 

“August 19…”

 

“Oh…”

 

“Why?”

 

Sinb dismissed her gaze, eyes darting down to her hands which were now fiddling with the brim of Yerin’s white t-shirt. Before Yerin could ask anything more, she took a deep breath and released it, smiling her way through, looking back up to meet Yerin’s eyes.

 

“Nothing. Just reminded me of someone, they have the same birthday as you it seems.”

 

“Oh! Are they one of your close friends? I’ve never met someone with the same birthday as me, that’s pretty cool.”

 

“Huh. Lucky you, I guess. I’m planning this gathering with all of my friends, you should come with me.”

 

“Eh? Wouldn’t that be…?”

 

“You already met Sojung and Yuna, it’s going to be fine. Especially since the both of them haven’t stopped bothering me and keep me asking when they’re going to meet you again, tch.” 

 

“Who else is going?”

 

“Yewon and Eunha.” 

 

“Mm… I’m not good with new people…”

 

“It’s okay, I’ll be there too, remember?”

 

Yerin smiled, her honey brown orbs full of sweet, so addictive that Sinb just couldn’t get enough of. 

 

She leaned in, too quick for Yerin to process that the only thing she felt after was the heat that remained on her cheek, now tinting themselves a flush of red that Sinb, too, couldn’t get enough of. 

 

“You’re so cute when you blush.” Sinb giggled with a tooth grin, knowing just the right places to tease. 

 

Flustered, Yerin scrunched her nose as an attempt to wash away her fleeting heart so it’d calm down. 

 

“Thanks.” 

 

“No problem. Let me know if you need more.” 

 

“Yeah, you missed a spot…”

 

“Whe𑁋”

 

Yerin was quick, too. Perhaps quicker than Sinb, her lips landed right on top of the latter’s own pair, warmth and soft spreading across each other as they slowly indulge themselves into their own flavours. A squeak left the idol. 

 

Yerin was also quick to pull back, smiling smugly as soon as her eyes saw the pale color of Sinb’s cheeks flush themselves red. 

 

So this is how you make Hwang Eunbi blush.

 

--

 

“Hi, you’re calling into North Article’s office, how may I help you?”

 

“Please direct my call to Ms. Jung, thank you.”

 

“May I know who this is and why you are calling, please?” 

 

“Anonymous, it’s private information.”

 

“Ah… then it seems that I am unable to proceed unless I have the necessary information. My deepest apologies. Would you like to leave a message for her instead?”

 

“I guess that’s fine. Just tell her that Hwang Eunbi should be more careful with her new lover. We don’t want people to know that they’re dating now, do we?”

 

“Got it, is there anything else?”

 

“Just another name, Jung Yerin. I’m sure she’ll be able to connect the dots herself.”

 

“Okay. Thank you fo𑁋”

 

*Beep*

 

“Who was that, Yerim-ssi?”

 

“Um… an anonymous caller, sounded like a woman, asking to be directed to you. They left a message.”

 

Eunha took the sticky note from her secretary, squinting her eyes as she read each word. 

 

Tch. Eunbi’s dating again? Rude of her not to tell me.

 

“Thank you, Yerim-ssi.”

 

“Just part of my job, Ms. Jung. Also… I’ve been wondering something, if you don’t mind?”

 

“Mhm?”

 

“Why doesn’t Ms. Kim come to see you anymore?”

 

“I think she fell in love.”

 

“Ah… her new boyfriend keeping her occupied, then?”

 

“I suppose you could say so. Let me know if any more calls come in and see if Yewon can come over my office today, just tell her it’s important.” 

 

“Noted, Ms. Jung.” 

 

Eunha turned her heels around and walked straight into her office without another word, the sound of her 4 inches clacking in the midst of thick air as soon as Yerim mentioned Sojung’s name. Damn Yerim and her nosy self, she’s lucky she’s just a kid.

 

That afternoon, Yewon gave her the visit she asked for. The younger girl knew if her Eunha-unnie says it’s important, it’s probably something somewhat serious that she just had to attend. 

 

But when she heard what it was about, Yewon’s heart sank to the floor. Cold air from the conditioner suddenly felt so sensitive on her open skin, seeping into her nose sharp as she tried to process what Eunha had just told her. 

 

Eunha’s always been good at reading body language, she knew from the minute Yewon stepped into her office that she’s still hurting. But who was to blame, really? 

 

“You should go meet her, Yewon-ah.”

 

“How do we know that this isn’t just one of those fake tips? You’ve gotten those before multiple times about Eunbi. I would know, I was there too.”

 

“It’s better to be safe than sorry.”

 

Yewon groaned in frustration, earning a light chuckle from the serious unnie in front of her. 

 

“It’s going to be okay, Yewon-ah. How long are you going to run away? I’m basically giving you a free pass here.”

 

“What makes you think she’ll even come meet me, unnie? She hates my guts.” 

 

“Ha, you don’t have to tell me that twice. Just go, she’ll be there. Trust me.”

 

Sighing, Yewon closed her eyes for a good second to try and calm her already thumping heart.

 

“Fine.” 

 

“Don’t forget to ask her when we all can hangout soon, I miss her.”

 

“Tch, I don’t know who you’re trying to fool, unnie. You just want to see Sojung-unnie. Talk about a free pass.”

 

Eunha dismissed her gaze from Yewon, waving her hand to shoo her away now. 

 

Rolling her eyes, Yewon stood up and headed towards the door. 

 

“Unnie?”

 

“Yes, Yewon-ah?”

 

“Don’t do that to yourself anymore. I know you know better.” 

 

Before Eunha could open , the door closed beating her to it. 

 

A soft defeated sigh left her, shaking her head. Eunha continues to distract herself with work and more work, like she always does, eyes stuck on the computer screen trying to forget the person that keeps occupying her heart. 

 

--

 

“Sooyoung-ah!”

 

“Yennie, I missed you.” Sooyoung replied with a smile that reached her eyes, too, filled with longing and endearment. Her arms wrapping around the blonde’s small figure.

 

“How have you been?”

 

“I’ve been okay, just missing you, as always. What about you? Doing good?”

 

Yerin chuckled at Sooyoung’s sudden clinginess, “You know me.” she replied, shrugging. 

 

“Ah! That reminds me. Have you ever thought about being a model, Sooyoung-ah?” 

 

“That’s… sudden, why?”

 

“It’s a long story, but if you’d like… I can set it up for you! I got… connections...”

 

Confused, Sooyoung scrunched her face that made the blonde chuckle in amusement. 

 

“I’m being for real, Sooyoung-ah! C'mon, you up for it or not? You already have everything checked, pretty face, nice body, height! What’s stopping you?”

 

“And who would be giving you these connections, hm?”

 

“Like I said, it’s a long story…”

 

“We got time, don’t we?”

 

“Mm…”

 

The rest of their evening went by with Yerin telling her best friend about what’s been going for the past few weeks in her life. Saying it outloud to Sooyoung only made it sound more bizarre than it already was. 

 

Sooyoung felt her heart tugging inside her chest, a pit of jealousy stabbing it with no mercy. She knew Yerin was a fan, of course she did because of what Yerin does for a living. But this…? 

 

There was just something that rubbed Sooyoung the wrong way about the whole thing. Perhaps she’s just scared that they’ll get caught.

 

But even then, it was impossible to ignore her burning heart. Yerin has a love interest now, something she thought wouldn’t happen any time soon though here she is, listening to Yerin, her honey brown eyes sparkling with deep affection and fondness as she talked about the one and only rising idol, Hwang Eunbi. And since when did Yerin decide on her uality, anyway?

 

She’s been here before. Listening to Yerin gush about her favourite idol. Sooyoung didn’t mind it at all because she did the same with her own favourite. 

 

It’s different now, however, because there was no mistake to the way Yerin spoke about the idol. She was falling in love, and her heart-jab turned more into a er punch. It hurt perhaps too much for Sooyoung’s liking. 

 

“I know this sounds crazy, but I promise you I’m not making things up!”

 

“I know, Yennie. You wouldn’t lie to me like that…” 

 

The sudden change of Sooyoung’s tone, the way she almost whispered with her voice low, frowning as if she’s really upset. Did she make Sooyoung upset?
 

“Is something the matter, Sooyoung-ah?”

 

She in sharp, the air feeling cold against her lips into her lungs, faking a smile and shaking her head, “Hm? Sorry, it’s just a lot to process. But anyway, was she serious about signing me to a model agency?”

 

“Ah… okay and yes, I confirmed it with her earlier before meeting you!” 

 

“I’ll consider it, I guess. So when can I meet her? Just because she’s an idol doesn’t mean she gets a free pass to date my best friend.”

 

“I can ask her to come over if you want to meet her that bad… I don’t blame you, like you said, she’s an idol after all. Even Sooyoungie gets excited when it comes to idols...”

 

“Tch, that’s not what I meant! And no, you’re all mine today.”

 

“Sure… ”

 

“Tch.”

 

“Our Sooyoungie is so clingy today…”

 

Sooyoung tried her best to hide her rosy cheeks from her best friend.

 

--

 

“I have a song for us to learn!”
 

“Us?”

 

“Mhm, me and you, specifically.”

 

“Huh?”

 

“Minseok-oppa’s orders, not mine.”

 

The idol shot a smug smile towards Yerin, “What Sinb wants, Sinb gets.”

 

“And to think I was in charge of video ideas… tch.”

 

Like a child, Sinb stuck out her tongue playfully as Yerin sighed in defeat. She can’t believe this is Korea’s top rising idol at the moment. But that wasn’t to say that heart wasn’t bursting out of cuteness.

 

“We’ll learn the choreo first, then when we’re both ready we can start filming. I’ll let you know so that you can bring your camera. But Minseok-oppa mentioned that we can vlog the progress too and release it after releasing the full video.”

 

Yerin only nodded with no protest. She didn’t mind dancing with Sinb but it was a bit worrying that she’s going to be in the video too. She’s sure that many fans will recognise her and will be asking questions. 

 

“Can I wear my mask and a cap when we film it….?”

 

“No.” 

 

“But…”

 

“What Sinb wants…?”

 

“Sinb… gets…”

 

“You’re so smart, Yerin-ssi.”

 

“Mm…”

 

“Okay, let’s get to work! Hehe.”

 

For the next couple of days, Yerin brought her point and shoot (compact camera) to the dance practices along with extra batteries and memory cards to “vlog” Sinb and herself practicing. It didn’t take long for the both of them to master each move, sharp and accurate just how the original choreographer had made it to be with a dash of their own flavour. 

 

Sinb was surprised that Yerin gave in so easily since she knows Yerin isn’t the type to be in front of the camera. Perhaps it’s because it was about dancing, something the blonde has shown so much interest for that she didn’t mind it as much. Either way, Sinb was somewhat grateful even that she’s able to be with Yerin this way.

 

And not to mention how sweat looks so good on Yerin, too. She’s grateful to be able to witness that, too. 

 

“Do I look that gross, Eunbi-ssi?”

 

Yerin tilted her head towards the person who has been staring her down the past minute or so, expression very much unclear. She wasn't sure what to make of it because Sinb's eyes told another story. The air was thick with their heaving breaths as they had just finished the whole choreography, but that wasn't the only reason why the atmosphere was suddenly so heavy.

 

“Kiss me.” 

 

Yerin choked on the water that she was chugging down, “What?”

 

“Kiss. Me.”

 

“Ah…”

 

Yerin walked over towards the idol, not mistaking the ghast of lust painted in her dark brown orbs that she had always admired. She smiled to herself.

 

Inches apart with that smile still on her lips, she leaned in slowly, ever so slowly…

 

“Not here, Eunbi-ssi.”

 

So instead, Yerin leaned to her left and kissed Sinb’s cheek, intentionally flushing it red.

 

“You sure are getting bold these days, Yerin-ssi.” Sinb let out the breath she wasn’t aware of holding in, not sure if she’s relieved or confused.

 

“Just following what my idol vouches for…”

 

“Mm… Oh, before I forget, are we still on for this Saturday?”

 

“Saturday?”

 

“The hangout.”


“Ah… yes, yes of course. Though I’m quite nervous, they’re all your friends…” 

 

“Sojung and Yuna are your friends, now, too. What’s the harm with 2 more?”

 

“You’re not wrong.” 

 

“I have to warn, you, though…”

 

“Hm?”

 

“That Yewon... is my ex…”


A/N: heol..... cant believe i wrote this in 3 days... i wasnt kidding u guys when i said i had so many ideas! the story is progressing :) i hope all of u will enjoy this quick update, u guys deserve it after 2 weeks of nothing, this is the least i can do. and more sinrin moments are coming, just for bare with me for now!!!! 

as always thank you for reading and comments are appreciated :) please take care everyone, stay safe always <3 till next time ! 

PS: if u guys ever want to reach me or have any questions and even just to talk u can dm me on twitter @radiant_sinbyul :))