Chapter 2

Dream Writer

            That evening, Gyuri was resting in her room. She sat at the study desk, trying to focus on the note she had been writing. “Aish!” her head snapped off the paper. Her mind rewind the incident that happened this late afternoon. *How can he get here! It’s not logic!*

            All the papers and notebooks that once on the desk had been pushed aside. Gyuri took a ring-notebook from a shelf near her and opened it. For the next few hours, she was immersed in her ‘research’ on the content of the turquoise notebook. Until there was a series of knock on her door. A faint voice could be heard. “Gyuri, help open the door for me”

“It must be Goeun” Gyuri ran to the door and opened it. “Hey~” Goeun held two plastic bags to her face. The aromatic smell of fried chicken filled their room. “You really know that I’m starving right now” Gyuri grabbed the chicken and went to the coffee table.

“Of course I know” Goeun closed the door behind her and took off her jacket before throwing it onto her bed. She joined Gyuri who was setting up the table.

            The two enjoyed the chicken together. “Woah~” Gyuri exclaimed as she blew on the still hot chicken. Goeun glanced at Gyuri’s desk. “Studying?”

“Nah. Just organizing something” Gyuri replied. Her mind recalled once again the incident that happened earlier. *Should I talk to Goeun about it or not? It really disturbs me!*

“Hey” Goeun suddenly voiced. “Earlier during class, your cousin was here?”

            Gyuri almost chocked on the chicken in . “Yah!” Goeun passed her a cup of soft drink that Gyuri quickly sipped it. “How do you know about it?” Gyuri asked immediately she able to voice again. “Ah” Goeun waved her phone. “Your cousin is quite famous; you know? He has the looks, that’s why”

“Really?” Gyuri chuckled. “I never knew” *I’m doomed! Now everyone know about his existence!*

“You should set me up with him” Goeun suggested. “You have boyfriend already, right?” “Who? The guy I found on Tinder? Nah” “What the” “Hey, I’m just playing around, okay?” Goeun giggled. “Anyway, help set me up with him. He’s quite hot”

“Yea… sure…”

            The two talk more until they finished eating. Gyuri continued her study at her desk. Goeun sat on her bed, ready to sleep. “Yah, go to sleep”

“I need to complete this one last question” Gyuri replied. She turned to Goeun with a smirk. “Why? You’re afraid ‘someone’ will come and study with me again?”

“Yah, I’m telling the truth. I really saw someone sat at your bedside the other day” “No way” Gyuri chuckled. “Maybe you’re dreaming”

“Aish!” Goeun threw Gyuri’s cat pillow towards her but Gyuri managed to catch it with a smirk. “Tsk” Goeun went into her cover. “I’m going to bed first. Good night”

“Nae. Good night” Gyuri replied and watched Goeun turned to the other side to sleep. Gyuri went back to her study.

 

            Minutes later, Gyuri yawned and stood. “I should go to sleep now” she turned off the study lamp and laid on her bed. She pulled the cover over her and closed her eyes. “Let’s got to ‘District 10’”

*          *          *

            Gyuri opened her eyes. A smile appeared on her lips. She skipped through the empty pavement of the silent city. She looked up and saw the signage ‘District 10’. She looked around. “Felix?”

            Gyuri walked to the river. She looked around only to find herself there. “Felix! Where are you?” *Maybe he’s at school*

            She sighed. “But it’s a long way to go there” she thought for a while. “I need my bike here” Gyuri held her hands forward and a bicycle appeared before her with her hand already holding the handle. Gyuri smirked. “Sweet!”

            Gyuri cycled through the empty and quiet road. She entered the empty school compound and headed straight to the field. “There he is!” she saw a figure laying on the lush green field.  Gyuri hoped off her bike that later disappeared into mist before it topple onto the floor. She ran to the figure. “Felix!”

            The male who was laying with his back on the grass, hands behind his head, staring up to the clear blue sky turned to the direction of her voice. “Yah” Gyuri doubled over as she managed to stand beside him. “I had been looking for you, why don’t you answer me back? I know you heard me calling you”

            Felix smirked. “Sorry I’m just too lazy to answer you” “What the” she rolled her eyes. Felix saw her annoyed face and smirked. He pulled her to join him but she fell on him. They met eyes. Gyuri giggled. “I had been falling on you ever since we were little” she laid beside, joining him staring at the sky.

“And you’re getting heavier” Felix jeered. Gyuri gave him a smack on his arm that made him whined. “That’s for not answering me earlier”

“Yea yea” he smirked and ignored her, continuing admiring the sky. Gyuri looked around. “Where is that cat of yours?”

“Don’t know. I haven’t see Tim this whole day” “I wonder where he goes” “Don’t worry he’ll be back later”

“So” Felix glanced at Gyuri. “How’s your day?”

“Oh my gosh!” she sat up. “You won’t believe what happened today!”

“Yea sometimes I regret asking that” he snickered. “Yah, listen. Today at class, there is this one person came…” she continued to tell him about her day.

            The two was at a café, enjoying their smoothie.

“How’s your day?” this time, it was Gyuri who turned to ask Felix. “Ah” he looked away. “Just this and that. Nothing much”

            Gyuri propped her arms and stared at him. “Why do you always say that?” “What?” “That. Every time I ask about your day” “Really nothing much. Just the usual thing. Nothing big” “But I really want to know about your day. Don’t you want to share them with me?”

“You must be stressed today” “Am not” “Gyuri, I know you. We had been friends for years. You had been talking a lot today, and annoying too” “What the” Gyuri snatched his drink. She smirked at him. “Oh really?” Felix smirked back and snatched her drink from her grip. He ran out the café with it.

“Yah!” Gyuri ran after him. Felix glanced back and laughed at his feisty friend.

 

 

 

“Gyuri” Felix called Gyuri beside him. She glanced at him. “Let’s go explore ‘The Building’” he voiced. “What?” she halted her steps. He turned to her. “I don’t want to. That place is scary”

“Yah” he chuckled. “You’re the one who made that place. Let’s go explore it more”

“Nah, last time we went remember we met that scary monster!” “Yea and that’s your ‘fear of frog’ monster. And you already overcome that fear” “But still” “Don’t worry” he slung his arm to her neck. “You have me, right? I will kill any monster for you”

“Using your hand?” “Of course…not” he looked around. “Where did I put it again?”

“You mean this?” Gyuri passed a steel baseball bat to him. “Yea, there it is! Thanks for finding it” “Nah, I just made it” “Woah, you’re so lucky able to create everything with just your mind”

            Gyuri tapped her head a few times with a proud smile.

“Come, let’s go have fun!” Felix grabbed her hand.

 

            The two stopped in front of an area full of building, but all of them are distorted with different escalator connecting them. Gyuri held onto Felix’s hand tighter. “This place spooked me out”

“Yah, it’s just your mind” “Of course. This whole world is in my mind” “Nah, I don’t mean…you know what I mean” he chuckled. “Anyway, I want to say that your mind is a mess. Look at this super unorganised place!”

“I’m sure your mind is empty” she narrowed her eyes to him. He chuckled. “I don’t know if I should be grateful for that or not” He saw a building that looked kind of normal.

“Let’s go” he pulled Gyuri to follow him through the door.

            The interior of the building was completely empty, only white rooms. They walked further. It was dead quiet. The only thing they can hear right at that time were their footsteps.

 

            Felix turned a knob to a room. Gyuri entered the room, mouth agape. “Woah!”

“What is this place?” he asked. They were greeted with rows of drawers that reached up so high they could not see the end. “Don’t know” Gyuri bent down and slid open a cabinet. In there was piles of papers with drawing. “Hey!” she smiled widely. “Look” she pulled Felix to sit beside her. It was a series of pictures of her and Felix when they were little.

“It was when my kite snap and it went missing” Felix smiled as he recalled the sweet memory. “We should go to the beach again”

“Woah, I almost forgot about this incident” Gyuri flipped through the pieces that showed them playing kites together and Felix’s red kite flew away.

“Maybe” Felix stood and looked around. “This is where your lost memory is”

“I thought so too”

“That means” Felix opened another drawer near them and took out a pile of papers. He smirked. “I knew it”

“What is it?” “This” he showed the papers to her with a wide grin across his face. “Is everything that you forgot during exam”

“What?!” she snatched the papers and saw all the formulas and notes she once memorised. “So this is where all of them went when I really need them during exam! Aish!”

            Felix laughed at her. “Next time, make sure to put them in another place, not this ‘Forgotten’ room”

“Nae nae. I’ll make sure that” she rolled her eyes.

            The two lost between the papers for a while.

“Hey!” Felix stood straight among the papers. “Yup” Gyuri replied, waving him over. “I’m here”

“Let’s go. It’s almost time you wake up” “Really?” she stood and walked to him. But she tripped and fell into his arm. For a while, Felix smiled to himself. “Aish” he helped her to stand straight again. Gyuri gave him a sheepish smile.

            The two walked out from the building area.

“We’ll explore the other room later” he voiced. “Sure. It’s fun! As long as I don’t have to meet any scary monster”

            Felix stole a glance at her and smiled to himself. He ruffled her head. “Have a nice day tomorrow”

“Nae, you too” she smiled at him. They stopped and turned to each other. Felix waved at Gyuri as he watched her vanished before him with her eyes closed.

            Felix’s hand fell to his side again. His smile turned melancholic. “I left alone here again”