Chapter 4

Dream Writer

            Gyuri and Daniel looked up to the direction of voice that was ahead of them. A lady was waving to them. “Hey, Seoryeong” Gyuri waved back. Daniel looked at Gyuri and the lady one after another.

“Here” Seoryeong held a bunch of paper to Gyuri as she arrived at them. “My part for the assignment”

“Alright, thanks” Gyuri went through the paper. Seoryeong’s eyes trailed to Daniel. Staring at his gorgeous face, Seoryeong smiled wider. “And who do we have here?”

“This is my cousin” Gyuri replied to her. “He’s staying here for a bit”

“The one who magically appears yesterday” Seoryeong voiced. “Yea” Gyuri chuckled as she saw his puzzled face.

            Daniel snapped as he realised he hasn’t introduced himself yet. He bowed a tad. “Hi, I’m a cat-“

            Gyuri’s eyes widened but she managed to cover his mouth with her hand before he could continue his words. “He mean, he’s a cat person” Gyuri told Seoryeong. “Ah, I see” Seoryeong chuckled. “You must have many cat friends”

            Daniel removed Gyuri’s hand. “They’re my family”

“I wish I could meet them. They must be super cute!” Seoryeong exclaimed. She glanced down to her watch. “I’m gonna be late for work” she turned to Gyuri. “See you later”

“Bye” Gyuri waved back. Seoryeong waved to Daniel and Gyuri as she ran out from there.

            Gyuri met Daniel’s eyes. “That was close!” she sighed. “You can’t tell anyone about you being half-cat”

“Why so? It’s the fact though” he pouted. “Other people might find you weird if they know” “You mean no one will believe me if I tell them that?” “Yup. Only I will” “Yea technically you created me this way” he gave her a snicker.

“So there’s no such thing as that in your world. You sure have quite an imagination” he spoke. “I don’t know to take that as a compliment or mock. Well, that is one of the way I stay sane, one form of escape” she replied.

“It’s great then” Daniel leaned against the railing of the lake. Gyuri joined him. “You have an escape from your life. I wish I can have some escape too” he voiced. “You do? Alright, I’ll do it for you then” “But that’s not really important now”

            Gyuri turned to him, sensing his stare.

“Now that I found you, I can ask you to help us” “Us?” “Our kingdom is in great danger and I know only you can help us”

            Gyuri looked down to her feet. “No”

“What is it?” “No” she faced him. “What do you mean?” “I can’t. I’m sorry, Daniel” “But why?” he moved closer to her but she stepped back.

*          *          *

Daniel sauntered up the stairs. He was staring into space as he recalled his conversation with Gyuri just now.

-Flashback-

“I don’t write anymore” Gyuri confessed. “What do you mean?” Daniel who was still confused asked. “That means I can’t continue your story. Or even help me” “But why?” “You really love to write. I can see it by the way you write-“ “But that was before!” she looked away. “I can’t write anymore. Not after what ‘they’ say”

“About what?”

            Gyuri shook her head, refusing to answer him. “Just forget about the story. You should go back to where you come from” she walked away, leaving him.

-End of flashback-

“How can I forget about my own story?” Daniel sighed. “It’s like she’s telling me to forget about my whole life”

*I was so excited to meet her. But this is how things end up* he sighed as he entered Wonwoo’s apartment. *Will we lost the war? And will I lose my life?*

            Wonwoo who was watching movie in the living room glanced at him.

“You’re home”

            Daniel ignored him.

“You were so excited about meeting Gyuri but now what’s with the long face?” Wonwoo once again spoke. But Daniel went into his room. Wonwoo’s eyes followed his movement. “Tsk. Why do I even care?!”

            His phone beeped, indicating he received a message.

| He’ll be staying with you for some time. If that’s okay with you.   | From: Gyuri

“Tsk” Wonwoo replied to her.

| Nae nae. I’m sure you have a reason for doing this. And I will keep on haunting you with the question. As return, treat me a meal          |

|Ofc. I’ll treat you often later. Promise          | From: Gyuri

 

            Gyuri put down her phone. She was sitting on her bed, staring ahead into the empty space.

-Flashback-

            Mrs. Jang snatched the notepad Gyuri was holding. It was the story she was writing.

“I told you to stop writing! Nothing will benefit you from writing. Go to your room and study!”

            Gyuri pouted. She stormed off into her room. The 8-year-old Gyuri threw herself onto her bed. She was sobbing. “No. No one will destroy my passion of writing ever!”

-End of flashback-

“But here I am, unable to write due to the constant criticisms that finally kill my passion”