One

Falling for an Octopus Head in Seven Days

 

Of Octopus And Bunnies

 

"Okay, class, get settled and arrange your chairs one seat apart," the teacher says, and the class groans. Most of the class, anyway. 

Oh, a pop quiz! Now’s my chance! I’ll show that bubble blowing octopus head!  Eunmi thinks, pumping her fist and glaring at said octopus.

Are you glaring at me, Jang Eunmi? Ha! I'll show you what B-E-S-T means. Jeongmin just squints his eyes and sticks his tongue out at her.

The teacher handed out the test papers and timed them for an hour. Eunmi had her usual focused look on, while Jeongmin was merely running his pen across the paper and was done in fifteen minutes. Being his usual self, he didn’t even bother to check his answers twice.

 

Three hours later

 

“Ha! A+! bet you can’t beat that, Jeongmin!” She shouted as soon as she checked her score, jumping up and pumping her fist.

“The highest score is A++, Ms. Jang. He DID beat you. AGAIN. Please sit down,” the teacher said, throwing an apologetic glance her way, chuckling.

“B-but…” she sank down on her chair, looking dejected. And as she looked sideways she saw a cocky person smirking. The nerve of that jerk.

 

Walking towards her locker, Eunmi greeted the usual crowd of admirers (She was in the special class that everyone admired, after all) with smiles that were replaced with a grimace as soon as she was alone. She still couldn’t believe that he was given something as high as that.

She groaned once again and rested her head against her locker door.

“Got a problem?” A voice from behind her asked. Without even looking at who it was, she answered, “Yeah. I can’t beat that stupid octopus-headed smart Lee Jeongmin,” she said as she turned to face the person she was talking to. And my, what a shock it was for her to see a talking octopus blowing a bubble with his gum.

“Octopus-headed smart ?”

“Uh… er… yeah!” she stuttered, still a bit shocked.  “Yeah! You’re an octopus-headed, gum-chewing, bubble-blowing smart ! I don’t take it back!” she screamed and stuck her tongue out.

“So you talk behind my back?” he said as he fixed his hair on the mirror and popping his gum.

“Yeah, so what? How could I even talk to the front of your back? That doesn’t even make sense!” She flailed her arms, frustrated.

“What if it does?” He grinned, obviously amused in watching her.

“It doesn’t, you jerkwad!” She said, her voice rising.

“Well, it does for me!” He answered back.

“That’s because you’re stupid!”

He smirked. “But you can’t ever seem to beat me, huh?”

"I hate you."

"I love you too, babe."

She rolled her eyes. "Whatever, I'm off to the library," she said, walking away.

"Great, me too," Jeongmin nodded and walked behind her.

"On second thought, I think I forgot something from the classroom."

"Really?" he grinned. "I left my Maths notebook there too!"

She groaned and turned around. "What is wrong with you?"

"What?" he cocked an eyebrow cheekily.

"You're a jerk."

"And you're very pretty."

"Go away."

"You'll miss me if I did."

"Ew, no. I'd be throwing a party in celebration."

"I bet you'd spend your days crying in your room."

"No, I won't."

"You probably have a picture of me hanging there."

"Are you serious?"

"Yep."

---

 

Eun Mi stared at the window, barely even listening to the teacher because she had read the lesson before— waaaay before, when she heard a faint drop against the window. It was raining.

Classes went on, and so did the rain. They couldn’t even eat their lunch at the rooftop. She pouted slightly at the rain that showed no signs of stopping yet. The bell had rung, and as usual, she headed to the library for her daily advanced reading. Yes, that’s the kind of girl she is.

“Aish… it hasn’t stopped raining yet,” Eun mi exclaimed, finishing up the last chapter of the book. “Aahh, what do I do?” she said as she let her head down the table. It was an forty-five minutes past school hours, and nobody was around anymore. She waits inside the library, enjoying the benefits of the heaters in the otherwise cold room.

 

Meanwhile, Jeongmin was practicing soccer kicks by himself in the field, not caring about the rain soaking his clothes. He passes the ball from foot to foot and kicks it in the goal. He pumps his fist in victory before lying down on the ground.

 

Eunmi, scared of the wrath her mother would let loose if she won't go home, like, right now, sighs and walks outside, almost ready to get soaked, when she spotted a pink-and-blue bunny umbrella.

She stops and smiles. Thank God. She picks it up and opens it. Pink and blue bunnies. Hm. Must be a girl's. She shrugs and looks around her. And though tempted to use the umbrella to arrive home not completely soaked, she decides to check around the school first.

She starts at the main building, and then goes off to the cafeteria. She sits for a while, a tiny bit of her still hoping that the rain would stop, so she wouldn’t feel guilty about taking an umbrella that wasn’t hers.

Her last stop was at the school’s open soccer field. She peeks in and sees a weird person practicing in the rain. Being the good person that she was, she decides to ask him to go home or he might be sick.

“YAH!” She shouts, since she was on the other side of the field.

The guy turns. And man, you can’t even imagine her shock when she saw what she saw— an octopus playing soccer.

She spins round on her heels and prepared to make a run for it. But then she realized he can’t have recognized her since she was partly hidden by the umbrella. So she shouted again, “I-I’M SORRY! WRONG PERSON! JUST… JUST GET BACK TO WHAT YOU’RE DOING!”

Then she made a run for it.

Jeongmin was about to look at who was shouting at him, but he only saw a flutter of pink and blue, and… bunnies?

“H-hey… isn’t that…?”

 

 


HEY GUYS. The edited first chapter is up~ I merged the first and second chapters because they're both short. Hehe. Hope you don't mind.