TWO

THE MEMORY
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sooyeon was up early the next morning, cleaning the cottage. She checked upon the garden and made some breakfast for herself. Sooyeon sat at her sofa and looked out the window. She looked at the clock on the wall. It was already 11 in the morning. Yul was nowhere to be seen. Sooyeon did not have her mobile phone anymore so contacting Yul was impossible.

Sooyeon stood from the sofa when she saw Yul’s car arriving some minutes later. Sooyeon opened the door and looked at Yul. Yul was wearing white polo shirt with black jeans. He looked handsome as always but something about him was different.

“Good morning.” Sooyeon said with a smile but Yul just smiled back awkwardly.

“Ready to look at some photos? You might remember something.” Sooyeon said and Yul sighed before nodding.

//

Yul looked at the pictures reluctantly. Sooyeon was oblivious as she was immersed in her memory as to why the photos exist. There were photos of their wedding, photos at the animal shelter doing volunteer work, photos at the beach, and photos in front of the house. Yul was mentally tired.

“Do you remember anything?”

“Nope.”

“Maybe if I tell you the back story of each picture, you might remember something?”

“I don’t think so.”

“Perhaps, we need to recreate the moments and-“

“No! I don’t think I want to do that. It’s a bit stressful for me. I need a moment.” Yul walked away from Sooyeon and opened the door to take some air.

“Yul, I just want you to know that, you are everything in my life. I love you and I cherish you so much.” Sooyeon uttered and Yul looked at Sooyeon before he left out a sigh.

Sooyeon felt like a loser, saying such things to Yul but she can’t afford to lose her husband.

“I don’t remember anything Sooyeon. I am sorry to say this but its better if we end this.” Yul said intensely.

Sooyeon held in her tears.

“I am not the Yul you married to. I don’t know you and I don’t think I can love you. Look at me and look at you. I- I can’t and I don’t want to. This is not my place. I don’t belong here.” Yul said and Sooyeon finally cried.

Yul looked away.

“I don’t even know why I was even in Jeonju in the first place. I don’t know and I don’t think I want to know. I just want to go back to Seoul and live my life. I don’t want to work as a mechanic like you said. I am a CEO of my family’s company. I was dating Tiffany the popular model. I had everything. But why was I here in Jeonju, marrying you?! It does not make any sense!” Yul shouted and faced his back to Sooyeon.

Yul looked out the window and took a deep breath.

“Do you know why?” Yul asked softly to Sooyeon.

Sooyeon hesitated before she shook her head.

“I didn’t explain why I was in Jeonju to you?”

Sooyeon shook her head again. Yul heave a breath.

“While you were in coma, I went back to Seoul and reunited with my family, they told me I met you and insisted on marrying for no reason. So they allowed it and I stopped contacting them all of sudden. Do you know how frustrated I was? No one was there to give me answers! I only have my father, my brother and my sister. They are my family. I need them more than anything. They looked so relief to see me back at the mansion.”

Sooyeon was crying silently, staring at the floor. She couldn’t say anything.

“I just want to go back to Seoul and live my life with my family again. Can I do that Sooyeon?” Yul turned and looked at Sooyeon.

Yul waited for an answer but Sooyeon didn’t even move. Yul rolled his eyes and was ready to exit the cottage when Sooyeon answered his question.

“Yes you can.”

Yul looked at Sooyeon.

“Thank you.” Yul said and Sooyeon smiled at him as she wiped her tears away.

“But stay here for a few days. In return I won’t ask for anything from the divorce.” Sooyeon uttered and Yul thought for a second.

“Even if I remember anything, I would still leave. Agree?” Yul added.

Sooyeon was taken aback. She had some thought before nodding in agreement. The look in Yul’s eyes made Sooyeon understand everything. The Yul talking to her earlier was not the Yul she married to. This is a different Yul. The Yul in front of her does not love her. The Yul in front of does not know her. Her feelings for him is not to important now. The Yul exist now needs his family. They are the only one that he knows and so, Sooyeon complies.

//

Yul and Sooyeon walked along the small stream. Yul must confessed that it was a very beautiful place. The river looked so calm and from where they are, they could hear the sound of waterfall.

“So we rent the cottage?” Yul asked.

“Yes. It was Jumyeon, one of your friend from the workshop. It was his grandfather’s…”

“Is it safe to stay here though? It’s too far from the town and other people.”

“It’s safe and on the weekend, there will be hikers that will come to take picture. The cottage even appears in some blogs.”

Yul nodded and followed Sooyeon to the waterfall. After spending some time at the waterfall, they made their way back to the cottage. Sooyeon offered to cook dinner while Yul washed himself. He changed to his clothe and went back into the cottage. He was greeted with pumpkin soup and some bread for dinner. Simple.

“This is the pumpkin we grow together. Just in time.” Sooyeon said as Yul tasted the soup.

It was delicious. Yul was impressed how a simple dish can be so flavorful.

“Is it okay to have o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter