SEVEN

THE MEMORY
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yul groaned as his head was aching. It must be the booze last night. He tried to open his eyes with much difficulty. With scrutinized eyes, Yul looked around his room. He stared at the clock until he could read the time. It was 8 in the morning. Yul massaged his head.

“Are you having headache?” Yul heard Sooyeon’s voice from his side.

He didn’t bother to answer.

“Want a massage?” Sooyeon asked.

Yul groaned.

“I made some coffee for you…to ease the hangover.”

Yul ignored Sooyeon. He kept massaging his head.

“Or maybe you want-“

“Can you stop talking?” Yul cut Sooyeon abruptly.

Sooyeon was lost of words. She stared at her husband who had his eyes closed.

“I am sorry for bothering you.” Sooyeon replied timidly.

She walked away from the bed and went to the balcony. She sat there with her book in her hold. From the balcony, Sooyeon spent her time looking at Yul. She wondered what has happened. Was Yul mad about the ajumma? Sooyeon took it as a joke. It sounded like a joke. Why would Yul be mad about that to this extent?

‘Maybe for him it was insensitive. I should be more thoughtful on that matter…’ Sooyeon coaxed herself.

Half an hour later, Sooyeon watched Yul sat up and leaned to the bedpost. Yul glanced at Sooyeon. Their eyes met. Sooyeon smiled as she did not know what else to do. Yul looked away. He stared into nothing for a while before Sooyeon’s voice disturb his moment.

“Are you okay Yul? Do you need anything?” Sooyeon asked softly.

Yul glanced at Sooyeon.

“Can you just for a moment, do not bother me, Sooyeon? All I want right now is to be alone. Please.” Yul grunted in anger and went to the bathroom.

Sooyeon felt a pang of shame. Sooyeon did not wait. She make up the bed and quickly leave the room so Yul has the space to himself. Sooyeon went to the library and sat there. She put her novel down and looked around the library. Sooyeon was truly confused as to what was happening to Yul. Sooyeon did not know what to do. Should she asked Yul? Sooyeon heaved a sigh and spent her morning staring at the novel rather than reading the novel.

//

Yul exited the bathroom to find the room is empty. He was glad it’s empty. He has been holding the urge to shout at Sooyeon and her absence help a lot. Yul got himself ready and went down for breakfast.

“Ah Kwon Yul. I just had my breakfast. Why are you alone?” Sir Kwon welcomed Yul who was entering the dining room.

“Sooyeon’s not hungry. How are you today Dad?” Yul lied.

“I am fine. Never been better. Don’t worry about me.” Sir Kwon patted Yul’s shoulder.

“Are you meeting Mr. Choi today, dad?”

“Yes. I am meeting him today for lunch. Want to come?”

“No, it’s okay. I have to go to Incheon later.”

“Alright. Drive carefully.”

Yul nodded and watched his father walked away from the dining room. Yul ate the food in front of him and let the maid poured him a cup of tea.

“Where is Sooyeon?” Yul asked the maid.

“I didn’t see Mrs. Kwon from the morning, Mr. Kwon.”

“Don’t address her like that. Just call her Sooyeon.” Yul said and dismissed the maid.

Yul took out his phone and looked at the messages he received from his friends. Yul took a sip of the tea before he went out for the day.

//

It was around lunch hour when Sooyeon opened the door to their bedroom.

“Yul?” Sooyeon called but as she noticed that Yul’s keys and wallet was not on the vanity table, she knew that he was out.

Sooyeon called Yul on the phone but he declined her call. Sooyeon sighed before she messaged something to Yul. When she was done, Sooyeon left the room for the library again. She figured she better used the opportunity to enhance her language skills. She was thinking about working again. Maybe as a translator or a transcriber where she was good at. She hoped Yul will allow her to work as she found it useless to stay at home doing nothing.

//

It was 9 p.m. when Yul entered the room. Sooyeon looked at Yul who did not even bother to look at her.

“Hi.” Sooyeon greeted her husband but Yul ignored her.

Sooyeon let it pass.

“Did you receive my message this morning?” Sooyeon said courteously.

Yul looked at Sooyeon.

“You want to work? Go ahead. No one is stopping you but I bet you this, you won’t get any job. This is not Jeonju. This is Seoul.”

“Seoul has much more job opportunity than Jeonju, right?” Sooyeon was jumbled as to why Yul was acting up about this.

“You clearly do not understand the market world.”

“It’s okay. I will try my best.”

“Whatever.” Yul left for the bathroom and Sooyeon took a deep breath.

She felt like crying but she did not want to. She won’t cry again. She promised to herself.

//

Sooyeon looked at all the big buildings. She looked at her resume and back at an advertisement in front of her. Most of the job available need someone with a degree which Sooyeon does not even own. All she has is her high school certificate. Sooyeon walked through the alley and observed if there’s any shops want to hire any help but it was to no avail. Sooyeon looked at her watch. It was already 3 p.m. and she didn’t take her lunch yet. Sooyeon sat at a bench and checked her wallet. There’s a couple of thousand won. Occasionally, Yul will give her some allowance but all of sudden, he stop giving and Sooyeon was a bit embarrassed to ask for it. That is why she wants to work. Sooyeon kept her wallet in her handbag and looked around. She took her belonging before walking, searching for any opportunity. She will be looking until 5 and will go home after that.

//

Sooyeon entered her bedroom to see Yul was preparing to go out. She just got back from job hunting.

“You’re home? Did you get a job?” Yul sprayed some cologne to his neck.

Yul’s voice was soft. Sooyeon noticed that there wasn’t any hatred in his voice.

“No I didn’t. No luck today, I guess. Where are you going?” Sooyeon sat at the sofa at the far right of the room.

“Out with friends.” Yul took his wallet and car keys.

Sooyeon eyed the clothing Yul is wearing. He looked really handsome and fashionable like that. With his white plain t-shirt and white jeans, pair up with a black leather jacket. Sooyeon looked at her clothe. Like heaven and hell.

Yul didn’t say anything and left immediately. Sooyeon didn’t get the chance to say anything as Yul was fast in leaving the room. Sooyeon heaved a sigh and looked around the room before going to the bathroom to clean herself.

//

A week has passed and Sooyeon couldn’t find a job yet. She has send many resume but got no call back at all. It dawn to her that if she wants to work again, she should start from the bottom. Sooyeon has been eyeing some restaurants and cafes which she would visit this Monday to ask for any vacancy. Sooyeon put down the newspaper she was reading when Yul entered the room.

Yul didn’t say anything. He went straight to the bathroom to change his clothe. Sooyeon looked at the clock. It’s 7 p.m.

“Are you going out again, Yul?”

“Oh you are here? I didn’t see you there. Yeah. Meeting some friends.” Yul combed his hair.

“Well, your father asked about you yesterday. He noticed that you haven’t been home for dinner for a week now.”

Sooyeon waited for any retaliation from Yul but he didn’t say anything.

“Maybe you can take the dinner first and go out after that?” Sooyeon suggested.

“Don’t think so. My friends and I are going to a barbecue place. So…” Yul didn’t finish his words and exited the room.

Sooyeon could only watch as there was nothing she can do to stop Yul from going out. Sooyeon went to the bathroom and put away Yul’s laundry. She picked the long sleeve shirt and notice an odd perfume which she was sure not Yul’s. She has been noticing the scent since Yul started going out at night. Sooyeon examined the shirt but didn’t find anything. To be honest, Sooyeon was a bit suspicious but she kept it low. She did not want to have any ill thought on her husband.

Sooyeon went downstairs and greeted Sir Kwon at the dining table. Looks like it would be only the two of them again.

“Yul?”

“He went out dad.”

“That boy…he is acting different these days…”

Sooyeon could only smile.

“You just bear with him. Maybe after you have kids later, he will stay at home. Let’s eat Sooyeon.” Sir Kwon said and Sooyeon could only smiled to the kids’ remark.

It has been several time Sir Kwon has hinted about wanting kids around the house but Sooyeon could only smile and chuckle to it. It is also regularly only Sooyeon and Sir Kwon for dinner. The others were usually not at home, busy with their work. Sooyeon seldom see Sooyoung and Eun too. The two woman are probably busy with work too. That’s more the reason why Sooyeon want to find a job. She feels like a bird trapped in a cage when she is all alone in the mansion. It gets very lonely and quiet in the afternoon and Sooyeon did not like it. She rather stay back in the cottage and spend her afternoon at the river. That is more enjoyable. Sooyeon ate her dinner while accompanying Sir Kwon who couldn’t stop hinting of wanting grandchildren.

//

Sooyeon stared at the McDonald advertisement glued on the wall. They payment was low but it’s better than nothing. She had enough of seeking job at places she knows she is not needed. Sooyeon went into the McDonald and asked to see the manager. After a brief interviews, she was hired.

“So this is your uniform. You can come tomorrow for a week of probation period. Okay?” Jaehyun the manager said and Sooyeon nodded.

“Alright. I see you tomorrow at 7:30.” Jaehyun said and Sooyeon thanked the man again and again.

Sooyeon was happy. She kept the uniform in her bag and took a walk at the mall nearby. Sooyeon was walking when she saw Sooyoung from afar. Sooyeon was quick to hide as she did not want Sooyoung to know she was there. She took a peep at Sooyoung who entered a Gucci store. She took the opportunity to leave the scene and went to the other side of the building. The mall was big after all. Sooyoung was the last person Sooyeon wanted to see at the mall. She did not want to see any of her family there.

Sooyeon spent some time doing window shopping. She observed the people around her buying things that she knows she could never afford. Sooyeon stopped in front of a shelf full of watch. She looked at her empty wrist. It has been long since she owned a watch as she lost her old one back when she had work in Incheon.

“Yes miss. How can I help you?” A sale assistant appeared.

Sooyeon smiled and shook her head.

“I am just looking.” Sooyeon smiled.

“We have a sale going on today but for you I will offer you this watch. It suits you.” The younger woman showed Sooyeon a silver POLO for women watch. Sooyeon was mesmerized. She let the woman put the watch on her wrist.

“See. It matched your wrist so much.” The young woman praised Sooyeon.

Sooyeon chuckled a bit.

“How much is it?”

“On normal days its 300000 won but just for today its 189000 won.”

Sooyeon gasped silently. She laughed a little and opened the watch carefully.

“I was actually looking around. It’s a nice watch, yes but it’s not within my budget for today.”

The woman nodded in understanding.

“It’s okay Miss. If you want to buy this watch later, just look for me.” The woman said and Sooyeon thanked the woman before walking away.

Sooyeon looked at her empty wrist. Any watch will do, she coaxed herself. Expensive watch tell the same time as cheap watch. No difference. Sooyeon said to herself as she looked around and her eyes caught a glimpse of Yul from a far. Sooyeon ambled toward Yul and when she was close enough, she could see Yul and a woman at a jewelry store.

She watched Yul and the woman looking like a couple, examining jewelries. Yul pointed at a necklace and a sale advisor brought the necklace to Yul before Yul took the necklace and helped the woman with it. Sooyeon didn’t know what to feel at the moment. She watched the couple tried another set of

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter