EIGHT

THE MEMORY
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

That morning, Yul woke up to Sooyeon sleeping on the floor. He scoffed in annoyance and purposely made noises when he opened the wardrobe.

“Is the floor better than the bed?” Yul said cynically to Sooyeon as the woman woke up.

Sooyeon didn’t answer as she sat up and leaned to the bed.

“Yul…can we go back and stay in Jeonju?” Sooyeon suddenly said slowly.

Yul who was choosing his clothe looked at Sooyeon.

“What do you mean?”

“Can we stay in Jeonju again?”

“We are not going back to that old hut ever. At least I am. What do you even want to do there?” Yul picked a shirt and put it on the bed.

“I want to live in Jeonju again. This is not my place.”

“I know this is not your place but this is far better than that old hut. This room is far bigger than that hut you like so much.”

“It is a cottage. It’s our cottage.” Soyeon cried all of sudden.

Yul heaved a sigh. “Whatever you call it. I am not going back there. I have to take care of my companies here. I can’t do a thing in Jeonju.”

“Then can I stay there? Can I go and live there?” Sooyeon looked at Yul.

“Why all of sudden? What happened?” Yul yelled abruptly.

“I just want to go back. Please. Let’s go.” Sooyeon stood.

“If you want to go to that slump, you go alone.” Yul walked to the bathroom but Sooyeon suddenly hugged him from behind.

Yul who was surprised, push Sooyeon’s hands away.

“What are you doing?!” Yul glared angrily at Sooyeon.

“Yul…” Sooyeon cried.

“What the is happening with you? Why the hell are you crying? What happened?!” Yul was angry.

Sooyeon didn’t say anything but cried miserably.

“What happened?” Yul yelled angrily as he demanded for an answer.

In his heart, Yul actually has a hint of what has happened but he don’t want to say it. He don’t want it to be true. Yul looked at the crying Sooyeon.

//

“Dad! What did you do? How dare you?!” Yul shouted at Sir Kwon who was having breakfast.

“What is it Yul? What has happened?” the old man asked weakly.

Yul panted from the anger he is refraining. He gripped his fist.

“You know what happened.” Yul shouted.

Then, Cheol, Sooyoung and Eun arrived at the dining room.

“What is going on Yul? Why are you shouting at dad?” Cheol asked oddly.

“Ask dad what he has done to Sooyeon. Sooyeon is crying nonstop since last night. What happened?!” Yul glared at his dad.

“Yul, it was an accident. I was at the library and-“

“It was not an accident dad.” Cheol suddenly chimed in.

Yul looked at Cheol.

“Sooyeon tried to seduce me too the other day but I warned her to stop her stupid act. Guess she moved on to you dad. What kind of woman are you married to Kwon Yul?” Cheol asking in revelation.

Yul was shocked. He took a step back.

“She suddenly hugged me from behind and hugged me. I was mad. I told her I would tell you Yul but she suddenly begged me and cried. So I forgave her. What lies did she told you?” Sir Kwon said with a sorrow voice.

Yul was confused.

“That woman is up to no good. She did the same thing to me. Are you going to do something about this Yul? Who knows who else she has seduced! Dad just had a surgery! It doesn’t make sense!” Cheol shouted.

Yul shook his head and walked angrily to his room. He pried open the room roughly. He went to the crying Sooyeon and slapped her face so hard that Sooyeon fell to the floor.

“You ungrateful ! You wanted to accuse my dad of abusing you? He just had a heart surgery. He didn’t have the energy to do anything! And how dare you do the same to my brother. You

“That’s not true. Yul, I swear.” Sooyeon cried as she tried to get up.

“You get out from this house. Take you things!” Yul opened the wardrobe and throw Sooyeon’s clothe to her.

He then went to the other cupboard and took Sooyeon’s bag.

“Get out!” Yul shouted while Sooyeon was crying pleading him to hear the truth.

He took Sooyeon’s handbag and clothe before he stuffed it into the duffle.

“Yul. Please listen to me. I didn’t do all that.” Sooyeon wailed.

Yul took the bag and dragged Sooyeon out from the room. Sooyoung and Eun who was outside the room was looking rather calm. They watched Yul dragged Sooyoen down the stairs while Sooyeon pleading and crying.

Yul opened the door and pushed Sooyeon out. Sooyeon fell down before she felt a sharp pain in her lower abdomen. She held her stomach while Yul throw the bag at her.

“I don’t want to see your face ever again! Get lost! Don’t ever come near me or my family again!” Yul screamed in anger.

“Make sure she is out!” Yul said at a guard standing near the door.

Sooyeon who was on the floor cried because of the pain she was facing at that moment. Yul slammed the door shut and looked at his family.

“I don’t want to hear anyone said a word about her anymore. She is dead to me.” Yul said as he walked upstairs.

The four people looked at each other before they smiled cunningly.

//

Sooyeon felt something hot going down her legs as the guard pulled her up.

“Ahhh…” Sooyeon groaned in pain as blood flowing down her legs.

The guard was shocked.

“Sir, Mrs. Kwon is bleeding Sir.” The guard shouted.

Yul who was at the stairs stopped his pace. He turned to see Eun opening the door to Sooyeon’s bloody legs. In the guard arms, Sooyeon fainted as blood is flowing down her legs. Yul ran to Sooyeon and pulled her from the guard’s arm. Sir Kwon, Cheold, Sooyoung, and Eun was shocked.

“Go take my car! Hurry up!” Yul shouted at the guard.

Yul carried Sooyeon and grabbed her duffle. As the car arrived. Yul put Sooyeon in the backseat carefully before driving away.

“What is happening dad? He was supposed to leave her. Did you see how worry he was when he saw her bleeding?” Eun looked at her dad.

“She is pregnant after all…” Sooyoung said as she touched her stomach.

“He will divorce her. I will make sure of that.” Cheol said and went to his car.

“Dad?” Eun called for Sir Kwon.

Sir Kwon was quiet.

“Sooyeon was pregnant? With Yul?” Sir Kwon asked stupidly at Eun.

“I guessed so…” Eun answered.

Sooyoung couldn’t bare the blood on the floor. She walked away leaving Sir Kwon and Eun alone.

//

Yul looked at Sooyeon who was still unconscious. The doctor said Sooyeon had a miscarriage and Sooyeon had a two hour surgery to remove the uterus. The pregnancy was 5 weeks old. Yul was having mix feeling. Should he be happy or sad? With what Sooyeon has done to his father and his brother, the baby might not be his but it was weeks ago, that night he touched her during the charity week by Joohyun. Yul looked at Sooyeon. He looked at her face. The mark of his slap was still visible. Yul took a deep breath and exit the room. He went to his car and looked at the bloody back seat. Sooyeon lost lots of blood. It was fortunate he was fast.

Yul suddenly cried. He squatted down beside his car and sobbed. The reality just hit him. His baby is gone. His. Yul leaned to the car and cried his heart out. He covered his face and continued crying. Then a memory of him proposing to Sooyeon flashed in his mind.

“Sooyeon, we have been dating for months, right…” Yul said to Sooyeon as they were eating at food stall near the beach.

Sooyeon nodded. “7 months to be exact. Why?”

Yul opened his mouth as Sooyeon feed him the ice bingsu they shared. Sooyeon wiped the drip on Yul’s lips.

“Sooyeon, what do you think of me?” Yul held Sooyeon’s free hand.

Sooyeon smiled at Yul.

“Well, you are easy to get along with, you’re not a picky eater, you are a responsible man, you know what to say and what to do at the right time, you are hardworking, and you are my everything.” Sooyeon uttered.

Yul smiled to that and kissed Sooyeon’s hand. Sooyeon did the same and Yul laughed.

“Do you know what I think of you?” Yul asked after Sooyeon fed him again.

Sooyeon shrugged.

“I think of you as my life. I have never met anyone like you who put everyone else before themselves. You are selfless. There’s not one thing that you would do for yourself before you do it for someone else and I always hope I can be like that. I wish can share that trait of yours but I know it’s not easy to do that. You are one of a kind, Sooyeon.” Yul gave a long kiss on Sooyeon’s hand.

Sooyeon beamed as she was touch by Yul’s words.

“And I am not selfless like you. I am selfish Sooyeon. I just didn’t show it to you. And with that…would you marry me?” Yul took out a small box containing a ring.

Sooyeon was on the verge of crying. Yul chuckled as he knelt beside Sooyeon. Sooyeon cried and nodded. Yul shed some tears too and he put the ring on Sooyeon’s finger.

“I love you.”

“I love you too.”

Yul looked at his ring. He wiped his tears away and got into his car before he sped off from the hospital.

//

Sooyeon opened her eyes to Yul looking at her. She felt a dull pain at her lower abdomen. Yul approached Sooyeon.

“Where am I?” Sooyeon asked with croaky voice.

“At the hospital. How are you feeling?” Yul held Sooyeon’s hand. Sooyeon looked at the hand and back at Yul. Yul looked at Sooyeon too.

“Why am I here?”

Yul gripped Sooyeon’s hand. He sat beside her. Yul kissed Sooyeon’s hand and Sooyeon just let him be.

“You had a miscarriage.” Yul said slowly.

Sooyeon froze. Now she remembered the blood flowing down her legs. She pulled her hand away and touched her abdomen.

“You were 5 weeks pregnant…” Yul said as he looked at Sooyeon solemnly.

Sooyeon tried to sit but Yul stopped her.

“You need to rest Sooyeon. Lie down.” Yul said as he stopped Sooyeon from sitting up.

“I was pregnant?” Sooyeon looked at Yul.

Yul nodded. Sooyeon watched as Yul refrained himself from crying. Yul touched Sooyeon’s hand slowly.

“I’m sorry Sooyeon. I shouldn’t have done that to you…I am sorry. I really am. Please forgive me.” Yul finally cried with much difficulties.

Sooyeon looked away, crying too.

“I should have asked you first before accusing you of such things…it was a mistake.” Yul looked at Sooyeon with teary eyes.

Yul waited for Sooyeon to say something but Sooyeon just looked away, crying. Yul kissed Sooyeon’s hand again and glued the hand to his cheek.

“You want to go back to Jeonju right? We’ll go back as soon as you are discharged. We’ll go away from this place and we-“

“I want a divorce.” Sooyeon blurted out.

Yul who was blabbering earlier, went speechless. He gripped on Sooyeon’s hand.

“Sooyeon please…don’t. I know I have made a big mistake. I am sorry Sooyeon. Tell me what I can do to fix this. I will do anything for you.” Yul kissed Sooyeon’s hand again.

“I want a divorce. That’s all.”

“Sooyeon…”

“You don’t trust me. You don’t love me. Why should we continue with this marriage any longer? I am not suitable with you Yul. I can’t never be a part of your elite life. I can’t stay in that house any longer. Nobody wants me there. You don’t want me and you don’t need me anymore. Please Yul, let’s get a divorce.” Sooyeon cried.

“No Sooyeon. Please. Don’t say that. Please.” Yul pleaded.

Sooyeon stayed quiet as she stared at Yul who was crying. She looked away when Yul tried to touch her face.

“We’ll talk about this later. You need a good rest. You had a surgery earlier. We’ll talk about this later. Okay?” Yul tried to divert the topic.

Sooyeon could only look away and let Yul held her hand.

“I’m going to the cafeteria to get you some breakfast okay?” Yul suddenly said as he stood.

Sooyeon looked Yul. Yul looked at Sooyeon too. Yul leaned and kissed Sooyeon’s forehead. Sooyeon stayed still like nothing happened. Yul let Sooyeon’s hand go and exited the room. As Yul disappeared from the room, Sooyeon continued crying. She touched her stomach.

‘My baby…’

//

Sooyeon opened her eyes and looked at Yul who was sleeping by her bed. He was sitting on a chair with his head resting on her bed. It was Sooyeon’s second day in the hospital. Sooyeon never seen Yul go anywhere except for the cafeteria. Sooyeon looked at the clock. It was 3 in the morning. She pulled her hand away from Yul slowly. Yul woke up right away. He looked at Sooyeon.

“Hey, do you need anything?” Yul rubbed his eyes.

Sooyeon did not answer. She went down the bed slowly. Yul quickly helped Sooyeon. Sooyeon was forced to receive Yul’s help as it was a bit hard for her to walk on her own.

“Any pain down there?” Yul asked but Sooyeon ignored him.

As they walked into the bathroom, Yul helped Sooyeon to sit on the toilet. Sooyeon looked at Yul.

“I can do this alone.”

“I know you can but I don’t want you to. It will be dangerous. Let me help you.” Yul said as he helped Sooyeon with what she needed.

Sooyeon did not say much. She let Yul helped her until she was done. Yul then helped Sooyeon to go back to bed. Sooyeon sat down on the bed and rest for a while.

“Do you need anything?” Yul asked softly.

Sooyeon shook her head and lied down. Yul helped her with the blanket and sat back on his chair. Yul gazed at Sooyeon as Sooyeon looked at the window not far from her.

“Sooyeon, the doctor said you may be discharged tomorrow. So I was thinking to head back straight to Jeonju.” Yul uttered.

Sooyeon looked at Yul. Yul touched her hand slowly. He intertwined their fingers together and kissed Sooyeon’s hand with much love.

“We’ll stay there like you wanted to. We don’t need to come here anymore.”

“Yul…” Sooyeon called him.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter