FIVE

THE MEMORY
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yul quickly carried Sooyeon and put her on their bed. He took their belongings that they have packed earlier. He unlocked his car and started the engine. Yul then ran into the cottage again and carried Sooyeon into his car. He put her down gently and proceed to lock the cottage.

Entering the car, Yul started driving. He glanced at Sooyeon from time to time as he drove as fast as he could to the hospital.

One hour later…

Sooyeon opened her eyes to a view of Yul driving. She murmured calling for Yul but Yul was too focused on driving. Sooyeon touched Yul’s hand. Yul glanced at Sooyeon.

“You are up? Are you feeling okay?” Yul gripped Sooyeon’s hand.

“I’m fine. Where are we going?” It was raining outside.

“We are going to the hospital but I was supposed to send you the nearest one but I got panic and took the highway to Seoul instead. Are you are okay? You fainted all of sudden. Was it always like this?” Yul intertwined their fingers together.

“Yes…” Sooyeon’s voice was croaky.

Yul gave Sooyeon’s hand a squeeze before he focused on driving. Yul stopped at the nearest Rest and Stop and looked at Sooyeon.

“I’m going to get you some water. You hold on here.” Yul kissed Sooyeon’s head and left immediately.

Sooyeon followed Yul with her eyes as the man ran in the rain. She looked around the luxurious car. Sooyeon couldn’t tell the car’s brand. Sooyeon made herself comfortable. She watched Yul disappeared into one of the shop. Sooyeon touched her ear. She hoped everything will be okay.

 Sooyeon looked at Yul as he arrived back in the car, half wet. Sooyeon took some tissues from the dashboard and wiped Yul’s face and hand. Yul let Sooyeon be. Yul opened a bottle of mineral water for Sooyeon and helped her with it. Sooyeon took a sip. Yul waited.

“Drink some more.” Yul said and Sooyeon obeyed.

“Thankfully you didn’t fell onto the vases. That explained all the bruises huh?” Yul caressed Sooyeon’s face as she was sipping the water.

Sooyeon nodded.

“Here. Eat this.” Yul said as he passed a small chocolate bun to Sooyeon.

Sooyeon looked at Yul. She shook her head.

“We haven’t eaten our lunch yet. You must be hungry.” Yul explained.

“You are hungry too right?” Sooyeon had a smile on her face as she playfully touched Yul’s stomach.

“Sooyeon, you are sick now. How on earth are you smiling?” Yul was worried at Sooyeon’s act.

“I fainted all the time. It’s nothing. Here. Take a bite.” Sooyeon opened the bun and put it near Yul’s mouth.

Yul took a bite and pushed the bun to Sooyeon’s mouth and she took a bite too. Yul couldn’t help but to chuckle as he chew on the bun. He pulled Sooyeon into a hug and kissed her head.

“We’ll go straight to the hospital okay?” Yul said and he then felt Sooyeon nodding onto his chest as he was hugging her.

//

Yul smiled at Sooyeon when a nurse pushed in one extra bed into the room for Yul. Sooyeon did not know that it was allowed to do so. Sooyeon chuckled when Yul looked so giddy to see the extra bed. They were in a hospital and after the check up with a doctor, Sooyeon was admitted right away.

“It’s better like this.” Yul said when the nurse exited the room.

It was a private room with a very big space. It has a TV, its own bathroom…much more like a hotel but a hospital itself.

“Are you okay to spend a night here?” Sooyeon watched as Yul connect their bed together.

“You are here. I will be okay anywhere you are.” Yul hoped on his bed and laid on his side, facing Sooyeon.

Sooyeon took Yul’s hand. She kissed it gently and placed his palm on her cheek. Yul beamed. He pulled Sooyeon into a hug and kissed her on the forehead. He stayed there for a while before kissing down to her nose.

 “Are you scared?” Yul asked as he massaged Sooyeon’s fingers.

Sooyeon shook her head.

“You will wait for me right? I am okay as long as you are here with me.” Sooyeon said and Yul chuckled before he kissed Sooyeon’s forehead.

“I will always be with you. I promise.” Yul uttered and kissed Sooyeon’s forehead again.

//

The 2 hours surgery was a long one for Yul. He was very worried. He did not know what to feel and what to think. Alas, Sooyeon was pushed out from the operation theatre. The operation went well. Yul looked at Sooyeon who was half conscious.

“Hey, how are you feeling?” Yul asked as he touched Sooyeon’s fingers.

Sooyeon who was under the effect of the anesthesia, smiled weakly

“Everything went well. Thank god.” Yul kissed Sooyeon’s hand.

“Just take a rest. I will be here.” Yul added and kissed Sooyeon’s hand again.

Sooyeon smiled before closing her eyes. Yul stared at the cotton covering Sooyeon’s ear. Yul stood and went to the sofa in the room, waiting for Sooyeon. He sat at the sofa and watched Sooyeon from there. Yul took a small box from his pocket. He peeked on the diamond ring. This time around he was determined to propose to Sooyeon with an actual ring instead of the toy ring he used years ago.

Yul kept the box away and stared at Sooyeon, waiting for her to wake up from her sleep. 30 minutes later, Sooyeon opened her eyes. Yul attended Sooyeon. He gave her some water to drink.

“Is it aching? The nurse said if it’s aching, they can give you some pain killers.”

 “It’s a bit aching but I can handle it.” Sooyeon said slowly.

Just then, Yul’s phone rang. Yul quickly answered it so it won’t disturb Sooyeon.

“Hyung?” Yul answered as he glanced to Sooyeon.

“Yul, dad had a heart attack. It doesn’t look good at the moment. Come home. Please.” Cheol at the other line said in a panic voice.

Yul held in his emotions.

“I can’t hyung.”

“Yul, our dad is on his dead bed. Come home! See him for the last time. He’s been calling for you!” Cheol shouted angrily.

Yul walked away from Sooyeon as Sooyeon stared at him. He was sure Sooyeon heard everything.

“I am sorry hyung.” Yul ended the call.

He turned to Sooyeon.

“You should go.”

“I don’t want to.”

“Yul-“

“I don’t want to see him ever again.”

“His your father, Yul.” Sooyeon coaxed.

Yul didn’t say anything as he ignored Sooyeon’s words.

“I already undergo the surgery. It’s your turn to see your father. That’s what we promised, remember?” Sooyeon added slowly.

Yul glimpsed at Sooyeon. Sooyeon reached for Yul’s hand.

“I will be okay. Don’t worry. Just go.” Sooyeon pleaded.

Yul heaved a sigh. He kissed Sooyeon’s hand before kissing her forehead.

“I will be back. Wait for me.” Yul said as he caressed Sooyeon’s hand.

Sooyeon nodded and watched Yul exited the room. Sooyeon hoped Yul will amend everything with Sir Kwon, once and for all.

//

Yul arrived at the hospital where his father was admitted just 30 minutes later. He entered the room and looked at his father who h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter